Home

Sending fur for tanning

Posted By: Beaverbeer

Sending fur for tanning - 10/04/21 04:18 AM

Last year I sent some fur to Mink and Moyle to get tanned. It came back great and I am very happy with it. I want to do the same this year but am curious if there is a cheaper way to ship?

What have you all done in this space?

Thanks!
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Sending fur for tanning - 10/04/21 09:18 AM

pack them as tight and small as you can
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Sending fur for tanning - 10/04/21 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
pack them as tight and small as you can

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this!!!!
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Sending fur for tanning - 10/04/21 05:00 PM

Don’t be afraid to fold pelts like coyote and fox, they will be fine. And packing the pelts tight won’t damage the fur - it fluffs right back when tanned.

All 3 of the major carriers use dimensional weight. Length x width x depth. If a package is large and light weight, you pay for what that package should weigh not what the actual weight is.

But, the bottom line is - shipping is NOT cheap. And it gets more expensive every year. In fact, post office shipping got more expensive yesterday!!?
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Sending fur for tanning - 10/04/21 05:11 PM

Flat rate boxes are the way to go. Bring your own box to the post office and pay about triple.

Sleepy Creek tannery in Iowa.

Re: Sending fur for tanning - 10/04/21 05:54 PM

Flat rate boxes are great unless you are shipping large pelts. 20 beaver are NOT going to fit in a flat rate box. Sorry.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Sending fur for tanning - 10/04/21 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
Flat rate boxes are great unless you are shipping large pelts. 20 beaver are NOT going to fit in a flat rate box. Sorry.

Flat rate boxes are the way to send small heavy stuff. Not the way to ship large light stuff. I have never shipped fur flat rate. Maybe a box full of weasels, it could be cheaper?

Re: Sending fur for tanning - 10/04/21 06:30 PM

Weasels. Mink. Marten. Those work well in flat rate boxes. The game board box (large flat rate) works for mink and marten.

Re: Sending fur for tanning - 10/04/21 06:59 PM

I get otter, coon and coyotes in the large flat rates. No, not a ton. Guess it depends on how much you want tanned.

I use them mainly for honey, however. Traps might be another option for the flat rates.

Re: Sending fur for tanning - 10/04/21 07:08 PM

I’m curious how many coyotes you can fit in a large flat rate box. Which box - the square one or the game board. Thanks
Posted By: chucky22250

Re: Sending fur for tanning - 10/04/21 07:21 PM

With you being in michigan shipping will be alot sending them out west, not knowing what you want tanned maybe check out Tubari ltd in new jersey, I believe tanning cost is a bit cheaper and shipping should be cheaper but still expensive to the east and their quality of work is very good...
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Sending fur for tanning - 10/04/21 07:32 PM

I’ve always used Z&L they seem to be much cheaper for tanning and shipping, 60 day turnaround, and their product is great. They might be cheaper for you to ship to for you

Attached picture 09650480-EBBB-4690-9DD1-C1BBBAF9727C.jpeg

Re: Sending fur for tanning - 10/05/21 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
I’m curious how many coyotes you can fit in a large flat rate box. Which box - the square one or the game board. Thanks

I sent 2 otter in the regular box last winter. I don't recall the size anymore. . Of course this isn't much good for guys shipping much....just more the novelty guys.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums