Home

ammo shortage question

Posted By: charles

ammo shortage question - 06/18/21 12:53 PM

Most chain store and sporting store webpages show some ammo, but it's African Big Game or Buckshot. Then there is .300 Savage availability, and what I call plinking and target rounds in 5.56.

Were these products from ammo overstock, or are ammo manufacturers out of touch with what we consumers need to purchase?
Posted By: cmcf

Re: ammo shortage question - 06/18/21 01:02 PM

Odds and ends left in the corner of a Whse somewhere from limited production runs.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: ammo shortage question - 06/18/21 01:10 PM

I'd bet it's more clueless store managers just trying to get something in just to they they are still getting ammo
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: ammo shortage question - 06/18/21 01:30 PM

Are you wondering why the stores are only getting primarily ammo like 5.56 and buckshot?
It's because that's what the manufactures have been running. They were running non stop 5.56 and 9mm for months on end trying to get caught up. Being NATO rounds they were in high demand all over the world. MUCH higher than any sort of hunting round that you're looking for. Manufacturers are very much in touch with what sells. I think you may be out of touch with what goes on beyond your walls. Hunting rounds will always play a VERY distant second fiddle to the NATO rounds.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: ammo shortage question - 06/18/21 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by M.Magis
Are you wondering why the stores are only getting primarily ammo like 5.56 and buckshot?
It's because that's what the manufactures have been running. They were running non stop 5.56 and 9mm for months on end trying to get caught up. Being NATO rounds they were in high demand all over the world. MUCH higher than any sort of hunting round that you're looking for. Hunting rounds will always play a VERY distant second fiddle to these rounds.

Sounds like in border states these rounds may become "hunting" rounds !!!
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: ammo shortage question - 06/18/21 01:47 PM

They get what they get now and people are buying about anything they can get their hands on. Some might buy the ammo before they even buy the gun the way it’s going. If it’s cheap some guys will buy it to resell it for profit if unpopular and spendy it will just sit there.

The local gun supply place is getting some stuff but nothing great or in quantity a lot of low end steel cased stuff. Don’t try to make heads of it nobody knows what’s going on and there is little control over how it going to pan out.
Posted By: hippie

Re: ammo shortage question - 06/18/21 03:26 PM

They can't be producing ammo in the amounts they claim.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: ammo shortage question - 06/18/21 05:16 PM

check out ammoseek 2a warehouse gunbroker Hippie theres millions of rounds for sale 2-3 bucks a shell i'd suspect stores and gunshops won't pay the wholesale price cause if they do and add on their margins they'd be accused of price gouging whehe auctions start at a penny and consumers bid up to high prices voluntarily IMO

Re: ammo shortage question - 06/18/21 05:28 PM

Some places mark it up with crazy prices others do their regular mark ups with limits on what you can buy at one time, I respect the places that are holding the line the gougers I’ll never forget when this is done.
Posted By: EdP

Re: ammo shortage question - 06/18/21 05:33 PM

There are certain things available and many that are not, or are hard to find and don't last long on the shelves. Like M Magis said, the mfgs have been putting out .223/5.56 and self defense pistol ammo trying to keep up with demand. There are plenty of bullets for reloaders in the calibers and styles that don't get bought much because they don't get shot much (bullets for .338, 325, 366, 375 and other "heavy hitters" calibers that are little used in north america). There are also plenty of 150 gr and 165 gr .30 cal bullets available. There are plenty of match bullets available in a variety of calibers. If you are looking for .243/6mm, 6.5mm, .284/7mm, pickings will be slim.
Posted By: WIHAWK76

Re: ammo shortage question - 06/18/21 05:34 PM

Charles,
You don't need to purchase any ammo, or worry about it. Your side of the aisle will keep you safe. Just bring some tapioca, repeat everything you hear on your tv, and you will be fine.
Posted By: hippie

Re: ammo shortage question - 06/18/21 05:36 PM

Possible I guess Jeff.

I had read awhile back that production numbers were between 8-9 Billion the last couple years and over 9 Billion last year. That just makes a fella think he'd see a box or two once a year or two.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: ammo shortage question - 06/18/21 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Some places mark it up with crazy prices others do their regular mark ups with limits on what you can buy at one time, .

No help when the employee's and their friends scarf up most of the shipment for resale at crazy high prices, to people willing to pay it.

Re: ammo shortage question - 06/18/21 05:39 PM

Others will be in their safe spaces letting the rest carry their water like always. shocked
Posted By: run

Re: ammo shortage question - 06/18/21 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by M.Magis
It's because that's what the manufactures have been running. They were running non stop 5.56 and 9mm for months on end trying to get caught up. Being NATO rounds they were in high demand all over the world. MUCH higher than any sort of hunting round that you're looking for. Manufacturers are very much in touch with what sells. I think you may be out of touch with what goes on beyond your walls. Hunting rounds will always play a VERY distant second fiddle to the NATO rounds.

I agree.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: ammo shortage question - 06/18/21 06:04 PM

People would be amazed at how many non military fed agencies buy ammo and how much...why on the world does the SBA, VA, and DoEducation need ammo, guns and body armor
© 2024 Trapperman Forums