Home

Be aware of your surroundings.

Posted By: yoteguts

Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/17/21 08:22 PM

See there it pays to pay attention to detail. Lol Not the first time I’ve seen this at a place I park to waste time before going to my life sucking job. I’m up about 10 bucks over the years here. Lol

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/17/21 09:02 PM

I was driving down the road one day with a friend in the passenger seat , I jam on the brakes, stop safely and toss it in reverse and back up on the shoulder a ways , then hop put grab a pair of channel locks line mans plyers and get back in.

he asks how did you even see that at 55

I don't know but I do , the hard part is telling if they are broken or not before getting out , you have to take the risk that it is junk every once in a while.
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/17/21 09:15 PM

A pair of Snap on needle nose pliers and side cutters. Large crescent wrench, $5 in our bushes last spring. Always keeping a eye out for items on or along side the road. laugh
Posted By: gcs

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/17/21 09:26 PM

The father of a friend of mine used to visit the local beach clubs and pick up bags of deposit bottles thrown away waiting for garbage pickup, He looks under some bushes and sees a roll of money.
He quicks puts it into his pocket to count later.

10, hundred dollar bills...It pays to check out the trash!, lol
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/17/21 09:34 PM

Last thing I picked up was a really nice torque wrench.

Moosetrot

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/17/21 09:38 PM

Awesome guys. I drive quite a bit of highway every day. I have quite the ratchet strap collection. Lol
Posted By: bogio

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/17/21 10:18 PM

Was mowing in the park the other day and didn't see the 10 spot till it disappeared under the deck. Picked up the pieces, scotched taped it back together and spent it at Casey's even with a small piece missing! grin
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/17/21 10:41 PM

Used to work at MOA and some weeks I would pick up more lost money then was in my paycheck, man I love people that just shove their money into there pocket

As for road finds shovels, hammers, hatchet and wrenches and even a couple nice coolers 1 even stocked with steaks no less and a 20ga single shot shotgun that I turned over to the sheriff who gave it back a couple months later and I gave it to a nice neighbor kid
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/17/21 10:48 PM

I stopped in the road once because I saw cash. Turned out to be a $50. Guy behind me was not happy, but it paid for my fishing that day, so I was thrilled.
Posted By: WV Danimal

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/17/21 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by yoteguts
See there it pays to pay attention to detail. Lol Not the first time I’ve seen this at a place I park to waste time before going to my life sucking job. I’m up about 10 bucks over the years here. Lol

[Linked Image]

Shiny flag pole nearby??
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/17/21 11:12 PM

Found a case of beer in front of my house this morning. 1 bottle wasn't broken. Bet that camper is wondering where his mick ultra is.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/17/21 11:17 PM

I found more than a case of beer up and down my county road, but all the cans and bottles were empty.

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/17/21 11:25 PM

Nope WVD just a muddy lake.

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/17/21 11:27 PM

Used to catch snappers in the field waterways up in Amish land. Was very common to find beer under those bridges.
Posted By: K-zoo

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/17/21 11:57 PM

My last good find was a brand new pair of bolt cutters.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/18/21 12:03 AM

I still have an 18 inch 1/2 drive ratchet I found in a road side park back in about 1989. If I break a good ratchet or even a "good" breaker bar it gets called back up and hasn't let me down yet. I've added some long cheaters to stand on and keep thinkin I will do it in but not yet.
Posted By: charles

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/18/21 12:09 AM

I used to pick up bungee cords in the road. Tourist leaving the beach would carelessly strap stuff to the top of their car and in no distance at all, the bungees would beak free. Life preservers and coolers would low out of their boats.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/18/21 12:40 AM

My last find was a 12" crescent wrench on the side of interstate 64. Light surface rust but works great.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/18/21 12:49 AM

Was going somewhere with my dad once and on the way out of town I saw some tools laying in a ditch. Told dad if they were still there when we came back by that I wanted to get 'em.

Coming back into town later I saw them still laying there. So dad pulled over and I grabbed 'em.

Large cheapo flat blade screwdriver and a 12" Proto crescent wrench.

I don't know what I did with the screwdriver but I still have the Proto.

Mike
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/18/21 01:05 AM

Had a friend that had a wife that worked and on the way home after dark one night she saw something metal laying at the side of the road. She gets home and tells him she saw something metal and didn't know what it was. So she takes him back down the highway and goes past where it was and turns and comes back and says there it is. He gets out and its a 200# wrecking ball. She is yelling HURRY UP there is cars coming. He threw it in the front floor under his feet in her nice car. She was yelling at him when the ball bout went thru the floor of her car. He ways always saying she was always saying to hurry up, but he thought he broke her from saying that, lol.

He was as strong as an ox but had a heart attack and died at 60. He was a good friend and there was never a boring moment when around him.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/18/21 01:13 AM

Stalking behind a fence after a ground hog I found $40 in a few different bills. Don’t t remember if I shot the ground hog or not
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/18/21 01:19 AM

Have found a few ratchet straps on the shoulder of the road but my best find was a couple super heavy duty log chains that must have fallen off a truck that carried heavy equipment. They were stout chains for sure and they do not come cheap. They were around 15' long and weighed about 75 lbs each.

Have picked up a few folding bills over the years in parking lots.

Backed into a spot on the curb today, opened the door and there was a shiny nickel on the asphalt.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/18/21 01:21 AM

Found a 20.00 bill in the Post Office parking lot ,a month ago.....I was looking for the rest of it..lol. It’s been a long time since I found some flow.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/18/21 04:00 AM

I used to get all sorts of tools when I was a kid riding a bike , easier to spot stuff that way

box end wrenches , a set of Allen keys ,a brand new jack hammer bit that I turned into a great but sort of heavy spud bar for opening up ice holes , till I lost it to the bottom of a pond , I drilled the hole for the rope loop , and never tide it on.

a 2 wheel dolly the folding type , it is a little bent , it was in the intersection at an on ramp.

20 foot length of schedule 80 pvc 1 inch ID with protective end caps on yet

even a few good road kill deer , fresh hits , free meat as long as it is cold out.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/18/21 04:16 AM

I guess you fella's already know this, but early scouting of bar/night club parking lots sat/sun morning has turned up a lot of green over the years...Drunks fumbling in pockets for keys, etc.

You have to know their hangouts and habits, study them just like the animals, Lol.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/18/21 04:24 AM

I love finding free chit.... smile
Posted By: womper

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/18/21 09:56 AM

Back when I was a younger and worked at McDs , part of my duties were to walk the lot twice a day and make sure there were no issues, that I needed to take care of. I would always scan the ground pretty well, for loose change and pay particular attention to one side of the lot. There was a low hedge along that side that caught most anything that blew across the lot. Nearly every day , that was good for a few dollars, which was pretty good back then. I was only making 3.25 an hour . The other maintenance guys and I called it the money drift.
Posted By: phsnt guide

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/18/21 10:21 AM

I help mow the lawns here at the company I work for and was doing the walk mowing around our flower beds and found a partially smoked joint. Myself and the other guys just had to laugh that the poor soul was taking some hits deciding if they really wanted to go to work that day. Any yes found a few bills floating around as well but not enough to retire on. lol
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/18/21 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by yoteguts
Used to catch snappers in the field waterways up in Amish land. Was very common to find beer under those bridges.

rob, ive found more than beer under bridges lol.......used to go under them to get dry dirt ........folks shove a lot of stuff back up under them.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/18/21 12:44 PM

I have found quite a bit of stuff, tools, pieces of ratchet straps, bungee cords and various other things.

Met a guy pulling a boat one time and a tackle box came out and hit the road, I picked it up and tried to chase him down but after 5mi or so I gave up since he was nowhere in sight.

When I was a kid I would ride my horse along the fence on the ROW of I-20 about a mile to where there was a creek and come back. Found a tire leaning against the fence. I had dad come back with the truck and pick it up. Turned out to be a brand new tire, tube and liner on a wheel that the center had torn out. Guy my uncle knew ran a tire store and he gave me $120 for the whole mess. I used that to buy myself my first bow, arrows, and the little things I needed. That was probably around '84

I also saw a balled up truck tarp in the ditch a few years later when I was driving. Stopped to get it and could not budge it. Found a loose corner and it had one of those big rolls of sheet metal under it and on top of it. Didn't have any way to get it and guy told me later it was worth a good bit. It was gone by the afternoon laugh

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/18/21 01:21 PM

John about a third of the time they were accompanied by questionable reading material. Lol.
Best I did was find two twenty dollar bills rolled up tight while bowfishing a flooded road. Also found a 10 spot walking out from bow hunting once.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/18/21 02:13 PM

I've found many a tool in the road over the years.

Best place to keep your eyes open , is a tight slow turn with a few bumps. Natural hotspot.
Posted By: Has-Been

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/19/21 03:44 AM

Marty..." I love finding free chit"
I found a dollar next to a tree once on a hillside while hunting. Picked it up, and quickly realized someone had wiped their backside with it. NOT my lucky day!
Posted By: Pest's Dad

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/19/21 01:59 PM

And " Has-Been " just won the thread!!! laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Wptourist

Re: Be aware of your surroundings. - 05/19/21 02:12 PM

I have been scanning the ground for years. I keep a jar for all the money I find and the last couple years have averaged $35 a year. Anything from pennies to $20’s. I did stop a couple weeks ago and picked up a nice fishing net. It was better than what I had.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums