Home

Anyone know of GOOD NO salt recipes

Posted By: Canvasback2

Anyone know of GOOD NO salt recipes - 02/24/21 02:49 PM

Doc wants Mom on either a Low salt or NO salt diet. Is there any recipes besides plain vegetables , that you can make for Lunch and Dinner that actually tastes good ; that does not include much Salt ? I looked at those frozen prepared Dinners, which Mom likes, but, they have Salt listed in the ingredient list in 4 , 5 and sometimes 6 places on the list . The Canned Soups seem to be the worst, for added Salt.

Thanks,

Canvasback
Posted By: k snow

Re: Anyone know of GOOD NO salt recipes - 02/24/21 02:51 PM

Even a little salt adds a lot of flavor. You'll have to experiment with different spices.

That said, any premade food will have huge amounts of salt.
Posted By: LCoutdoorsman333

Re: Anyone know of GOOD NO salt recipes - 02/24/21 02:56 PM

look up paleo diet recipes. thepaleodiet.com has a recipe list. simple way to explain it the diet is the humans ate before agriculture and modernization you can make any of the recipes with adaptations to anything you want. you can add a little salt while cooking but omit the salt ya throw on before ya eat it no salt on the table that will help lower the salt content in your food too. not paying follow the diet and all but it will have no salt recipes that are good and can be changed up to your liking.
Posted By: corky

Re: Anyone know of GOOD NO salt recipes - 02/24/21 03:07 PM

I am on a sodium restriction. With a little effort you can find no salt butter, ketchup, tomato sauce etc. Prepackaged meals are ridiculously high in sodium. Talk to her doctor about boughten salt substitutes. Most are just as bad for her as salt. READ EVERY LABEL.
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Anyone know of GOOD NO salt recipes - 02/24/21 03:07 PM

For some recipes, a sprinkle of lemon juice can take the place of salt. It helps take the 'bland' out of steamed vegies.

You and you Mother are still in my prayers.

Charlie
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Anyone know of GOOD NO salt recipes - 02/24/21 03:20 PM

Poltery seasoning gives a salty taste without salt.
I cook for my mother and her diet is no red meats or salt
I've had to experiment some, but with thyme rosemary cumin garlicpowder and more salt free food isn't half bad
If your boiling something salty, clean and cut the ends off of a few potatoes and through them in the pot.
They will absorb alot of the salt.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Anyone know of GOOD NO salt recipes - 02/24/21 03:26 PM

Get some White Pepper.No sodium but has a salty taste to it.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Anyone know of GOOD NO salt recipes - 02/24/21 03:41 PM

If you Google no salt seasoning recipes, several will show up. I utilize several for many of the dishes, stews and veggies I eat as sodium is something my doctor wants much less of in my diet too.

Bryce
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Anyone know of GOOD NO salt recipes - 02/24/21 03:43 PM

If you Google no salt seasoning recipes, several will show up. I utilize several for many of the dishes, stews and veggies I eat as sodium is something my doctor wants much less of in my diet too.
I agree also about limited salt and flavor. When I make salsa for example I use 1/4 the salt the recipe calls for, same with meat loaf etc.
Bryce
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Anyone know of GOOD NO salt recipes - 02/24/21 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by chas3457
For some recipes, a sprinkle of lemon juice can take the place of salt. It helps take the 'bland' out of steamed vegies.

This works. Also, huck the iodized salt and go with sea salt or kosher salt. A little goes a long way
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Anyone know of GOOD NO salt recipes - 02/24/21 04:56 PM

Garlic powder does wonders for things! I don't salt anything because BP meds made me feel awful. Once you get used to it you don't notice the lack that much. BUT be careful if her sodium gets too low it can be deadly !!!
Posted By: JohnnyY

Re: Anyone know of GOOD NO salt recipes - 02/24/21 05:41 PM

Everything but the bagel with no salt tastes amazing on just about anything and adds alot of flavor.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Anyone know of GOOD NO salt recipes - 02/24/21 05:58 PM

search for DASH diet....canned soups are loaded with sodium
Posted By: adam m

Re: Anyone know of GOOD NO salt recipes - 02/24/21 05:59 PM

Table salt is really bad, use either sea, kosher or Himalayan pink salt. Those 3 are much healthier especially the Himalayan. A little goes a long way.
Premake chicken stock even the low sodium store ones are high in salt.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Anyone know of GOOD NO salt recipes - 02/24/21 06:08 PM

Home made meals from meat,vegetables,and fruit.
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Anyone know of GOOD NO salt recipes - 02/24/21 07:17 PM

Is there a way to make New England Clam Chowder without any salt in it ? Just looked at Campbell's New England Clam Chowder, and this is the amount of Sodium in the can.

Sodium Per Serving 890mg 39%

In the whole can 1930mg 84%
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Anyone know of GOOD NO salt recipes - 02/24/21 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Canvasback2
Is there a way to make New England Clam Chowder without any salt in it ? Just looked at Campbell's New England Clam Chowder, and this is the amount of Sodium in the can.

Sodium Per Serving 890mg 39%

In the whole can 1930mg 84%

Homemade
© 2024 Trapperman Forums