Home

Water Trapping With A Longtail

Posted By: FCHUNTER

Water Trapping With A Longtail - 02/20/21 11:56 AM

Anybody do any water trapping using a longtail mud motor. I live on a shallow sandy river and have only saw 1 airboat in my lifetime on the river. I have a flat bottom aluminum boat want to try a longtail motor on it just don't know what to expect out of it. It is a wide river maybe 200' wide but sallow normal depth changes from 1' to 3' with occasional 6" depth. I am thinking about a backwater series.
Posted By: nimzy

Re: Water Trapping With A Longtail - 02/20/21 12:43 PM

Good choice imho. I’ve had go devils and backwaters. On my third backwater.
Posted By: Hornytoad1

Re: Water Trapping With A Longtail - 02/20/21 01:04 PM

I trap with a long tail. It's the only way to go. Pushes my 15ft boat threw anything I throw at it. Get in shallow spots just hold on tight and let the motor auger a hole and then it shoots you out like a rocket. The one thing I will urge you to do is ALWAYS have the kill switch tether attached to you. Once them motors start running the prop never stops turning.
Posted By: concrete man

Re: Water Trapping With A Longtail - 02/20/21 01:50 PM

Before you buy look at the swamp runner way cheaper an just as good .
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Water Trapping With A Longtail - 02/20/21 01:54 PM

We have a river with a lot of silt in the water it will take out a water pump pretty quick the mud type motors really shines in that river.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Water Trapping With A Longtail - 02/20/21 02:05 PM

You guys should show your boats/ motor rig
Posted By: concrete man

Re: Water Trapping With A Longtail - 02/20/21 02:07 PM

[Linked Image]
I have about 750. In this one it is loud and don't have reverse but it works a real honda motor would start easy in winter than the clone.
Posted By: StatelineRunner

Re: Water Trapping With A Longtail - 02/20/21 02:08 PM

I had my Backwater 6 years. I put it on a Gruman Sport boat its bullet proof. Put Gatorglide on the boat and a floation pod. Pretty good in shallow water and catails.
Posted By: BILLBRASKEY

Re: Water Trapping With A Longtail - 02/20/21 02:39 PM

Keep the motor out of the sand as much as possible. Sand will wear the prop out very fast.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Water Trapping With A Longtail - 02/20/21 02:46 PM

Never trapped out of mine but I run a 14x36 with my lil beaverdammudmotor. I'll try to find a pic. I had my shaft shortened to 60 in to be more maneuverable in tight areas.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Water Trapping With A Longtail - 02/20/21 02:46 PM

Had a Dixon Classic with a GoDevil on the back many years ago. That boat would go anywhere there was moisture, lol. I would imagine you could cover a larger area over those foot trapping or those with regular motors. And as stated, ALWAYS wear your kill switch. When I bought my boat, the maker had a 2x4 in a vice and used the motor to saw it in half.
Posted By: Fatheroftwo

Re: Water Trapping With A Longtail - 02/20/21 03:16 PM

I’ve got a Grumman sport boat with ppf wood duck that I use for duck hunting, fishing, and trapping. I love it, works great but I think you get better quality with back water from what I’ve seen. Add a Lewis winch on the front and you can do anything and go anywhere. It’s nice too that I can throw it in the back of my truck and not have to mess with a trailer if I don’t want to. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: FCHUNTER

Re: Water Trapping With A Longtail - 02/21/21 03:52 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I just hope a longtail will work it can get pretty shallow but if it does work it will open up about 30 miles of river I can trap on and will be the only person on it I have lived on the bank of the river 42 years and have only seen one air boat go up it other than that just ATV's and SXS's in the summer.
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Water Trapping With A Longtail - 02/21/21 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hornytoad1
I trap with a long tail. It's the only way to go. Pushes my 15ft boat threw anything I throw at it. Get in shallow spots just hold on tight and let the motor auger a hole and then it shoots you out like a rocket. The one thing I will urge you to do is ALWAYS have the kill switch tether attached to you. Once them motors start running the prop never stops turning.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ABSOLUTELY DO THIS
And a handle bar, commonly known as a Oh Shi# bar
© 2024 Trapperman Forums