Home

My peach tree

Posted By: Tactical.20

My peach tree - 02/18/21 02:18 PM

The Reliance peach is supposed to handle -25° I decided to build a shelter for it to protect it from the coldest temperature this winter.
I put a heat lamp bulb in there to add a little heat
I had one for 9-10 years and -30 killed it and the Contender peach I started to replace the old tree.
I tried two or three Contender peach, they died, they are supposed to do ok in cold climate, I think the Reliance is better [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: My peach tree - 02/18/21 02:26 PM

Good luck.Hope it works out for you.

Re: My peach tree - 02/18/21 02:30 PM

Me too, fresh off the tree they are like liquid candy!
I can't hardly eat a store peach
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: My peach tree - 02/18/21 02:38 PM

I sure miss my peach and red plum trees from Virginia
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: My peach tree - 02/18/21 02:40 PM

I think that may be the variety I planted 3 of last year. I was concerned about my zone survival and I'm in 6b. I hope it worked out for you. I didn't think peaches could handle that far north. I learn something every day.

I also planted 4 pears 2 varieties. I hope they all make it. I lost some of my blue berries last year and am hoping to not lose any more plants.

Re: My peach tree - 02/18/21 02:56 PM

Zone 6 you should be good unless temps go below -20
I'm in zone 4 , close to zone 5
Posted By: AJE

Re: My peach tree - 08/07/22 06:45 AM

I didn't know planting peach would be worth my time, but now I am more hopeful after talking to a DNR forester last week. He told me these peach varieties appear viable in Wi:

Reliance, Harrow Beauty, and Madison.

I'll have to research a source.
Posted By: Strut10

Re: My peach tree - 08/07/22 09:52 AM

The trees will grow here, no problem.

Problem is the hard freezes clear into mid to late May.............and then (if the blossoms survive the freeezes) the peaches gotta survive the deer. My mother had to pick her peaches last week a bit early because the deer found them. Oh.............and if the deer don't find them the bears will. Break the limbs right off to rob the tree. Can't have nothin...............
Posted By: D.T.

Re: My peach tree - 08/07/22 01:30 PM

I have a contender and saturn. Wish I had two contenders. Only problem I had was this spring was colder than usual and most of my trees didn't get pollinated well enough. Contender had 120 peaches last year and only half a dozen this year. The deer.....
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: My peach tree - 08/07/22 02:12 PM

I along with my neighbor have grown peaches in the southern 1/2 of WI. Trouble is they will not last. 6-8 years is the max I've seen.

If I was to try again I would plant close to the south side of the house to block all wind and the reflective heat off the house would help in winter too that is if your south side sees all day sun.
OP's mini green house would help I'd bet.

Re: My peach tree - 08/16/22 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Strut10

Problem is the hard freezes clear into mid to late May.............and then (if the blossoms survive the freeezes) the peaches gotta survive the deer. My mother had to pick her peaches last week a bit early because the deer found them. Oh.............and if the deer don't find them the bears will. Break the limbs right off to rob the tree. Can't have nothin...............

I will fence them for deer if I plant some. And I have barbed wire that I would use to help keep bear out

Re: My peach tree - 08/16/22 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
Originally Posted by Strut10

I will fence them for deer if I plant some. And I have barbed wire that I would use to help keep bear out

If you're going to fence it, do it on T-posts with insulators and a fencer. A stout whack of DC means a whole lot more to a bear than barbed wire does.

Re: My peach tree - 08/27/22 06:19 AM

It's often hard to get electricity where the trees are, Strut.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: My peach tree - 08/27/22 06:56 AM

So...T20, we gonna have any peaches?
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: My peach tree - 08/27/22 08:52 AM

Use a 12 volt deep cycle battery powered fence charger system.

I did that every year on my sweet corn. A 50 mile charger was hot enough to occasionally kill a raccoon or opossum.

Re: My peach tree - 08/27/22 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
Use a 12 volt deep cycle battery powered fence charger system.

I did that every year on my sweet corn. A 50 mile charger was hot enough to occasionally kill a raccoon or opossum.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

We used to fish in Ontario 20-some miles past houses or electricity or ANYTHING back this logging road. Camped in an old gravel pit. The area was slap full of bears. The one group that camped back in there set up just that around their site.............12 volt fencer on a deep-cycle battery.........and one strand 15" high. No bear problems for them !!! grin
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: My peach tree - 08/27/22 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Yukon John

I was Wondering also?
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: My peach tree - 08/27/22 03:57 PM

This is a white peach first yr bearing. It started from my old white peach. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: My peach tree - 08/27/22 05:37 PM

If I was a tree I'd hope to be in your yard t20 grin
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: My peach tree - 08/27/22 05:41 PM

If I was close to those peach trees you wouldn't need to worry about deer or bears. I would take care of those peaches and put them to good use.:) No waste.........
Posted By: WhiteCliffs

Re: My peach tree - 08/27/22 08:36 PM

If that was in my yard, coons would have got them a month ago - same time they got all my apples.

Re: My peach tree - 08/27/22 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteCliffs
If that was in my yard, coons would have got them a month ago - same time they got all my apples.

I keep the coons down and my dogs kennel is 15 feet away. The smell helps keep them away also

Re: My peach tree - 08/28/22 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by west river rogue

I keep the coons down and my dogs kennel is 15 feet away. The smell helps keep them away also

I trap/kill anywhere between 50 and 75 coons a year off my 300 acres. Not enough

Re: My peach tree - 08/28/22 03:54 PM

We had about ten on the tree this year, it's getting old enough to produce now

Re: My peach tree - 08/28/22 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Flint Hill fur
If I was a tree I'd hope to be in your yard t20 grin

Lol, I try, this winter it didn't get as cold, I didn't shelter it, I got ten peaches I think

Re: My peach tree - 08/28/22 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
If I was close to those peach trees you wouldn't need to worry about deer or bears. I would take care of those peaches and put them to good use.:) No waste.........

I hear ya! Lol

Re: My peach tree - 11/23/22 05:18 AM

I suppose they crawl right up your peach tree, hopefully not damaging it

Re: My peach tree - 11/23/22 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by AJE

I suppose they crawl right up your peach tree, hopefully not damaging it

They tend to break them up pretty bad

Re: My peach tree - 11/24/22 06:06 AM

That would be a bummer if they kill the tree
Posted By: KeithC

Re: My peach tree - 11/24/22 06:25 AM

I'm going to try air layering a friend of mines white peach tree this Spring to clone it. The tree was planted around 1964, which makes it very old for a peach tree. It has fruit almost every year. The peaches are very large, good flavored and have little insect and no fungus problems. I and another friend have tried to root cuttings from it in the past, with rooting hormone with poor success. I got 6 cuttings from it, out of around 40, to make tiny roots once, but around 5 months later, all the cuttings died and the roots had not grown any since I checked and transplanted them months before.

Keith
Posted By: warrior

Re: My peach tree - 11/24/22 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
I'm going to try air layering a friend of mines white peach tree this Spring to clone it. The tree was planted around 1964, which makes it very old for a peach tree. It has fruit almost every year. The peaches are very large, good flavored and have little insect and no fungus problems. I and another friend have tried to root cuttings from it in the past, with rooting hormone with poor success. I got 6 cuttings from it, out of around 40, to make tiny roots once, but around 5 months later, all the cuttings died and the roots had not grown any since I checked and transplanted them months before.

Keith

They graft fairly easily. For rootstock you can order lovell or just plant a bunch of pits. They're not to fussy about rootstock like some of the apples or pears are.
Posted By: RRW

Re: My peach tree - 11/24/22 02:50 PM

I have two contender trees, they are 6yrs old. This year was a bumper crop, I had to prop up the branches they were so heavy with fruit. I’ve learned from my neighbor to mulch the ground on each tree with a bale of straw before winter. He has one tree 10 years and the tree was loaded with baseball sized peaches. This is in Southeast Minnesota.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: My peach tree - 11/24/22 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by warrior

Keith

They graft fairly easily. For rootstock you can order lovell or just plant a bunch of pits. They're not to fussy about rootstock like some of the apples or pears are.

Once again Warrior nailed it.

Re: My peach tree - 11/25/22 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by warrior

Keith

Thanks.

Keith

Re: My peach tree - 11/26/22 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

I was Wondering also?

I got about a dozen this year

Re: My peach tree - 11/26/22 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by RRW
I have two contender trees, they are 6yrs old. This year was a bumper crop, I had to prop up the branches they were so heavy with fruit. I’ve learned from my neighbor to mulch the ground on each tree with a bale of straw before winter. He has one tree 10 years and the tree was loaded with baseball sized peaches. This is in Southeast Minnesota.

They say to thin out the peaches on a branch, I didn't want to, I propped some up too on an old tree

Re: My peach tree - 04/21/23 03:31 AM

I planted my first ever peach tree tonight. My co-landowner wondered what I'm doing planting a peach tree in Wisconsin, lol. Maybe he is right, but I hope not. I explained to him how much research I put into this and that the tree I bought from Chief River Nursery is promoted for our Zone. Fingers crossed.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: NEYotetrapper

Re: My peach tree - 04/21/23 01:44 PM

Sometimes it is good to take a leap on trees and give them a chance in a place that might not be the ideal location. I would never recommend planting a peach orchard where no peaches exist for miles around, but there are plenty of of trees growing in "odd" locations.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: My peach tree - 04/21/23 02:49 PM

I planted 3 peach trees and 4 pears 2 varities of pear for x polinat about 3 years ago. Last year I thought we were going to get some peaches but the frost got them.. I hosted a fruit tree pruning event for the extension office and a guy from Purdue came down and taught us and several others how to prun them.

I think our peaches are the same variety as the original post.
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: My peach tree - 04/21/23 06:09 PM

I just put in 2 new pear, 2 plum and 2 cherry trees and a couple raspberry and blueberry bushes should be good eats

Re: My peach tree - 04/22/23 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
I didn't know planting peach would be worth my time, but now I am more hopeful after talking to a DNR forester last week. He told me these peach varieties appear viable in Wi:

Reliance, Harrow Beauty, and Madison.

I'll have to research a source.

Contender too, but I had no luck with them, all three died

Re: My peach tree - 04/22/23 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by AJE

Solar electric fence, 230$
Posted By: bhugo

Re: My peach tree - 04/22/23 04:44 PM

Had so many peaches last year, we’ll never run out of jam! Usually frost kills the blossoms. 20-25% of the time they survive. Hard to beat a fresh peach. Apricot too!

Re: My peach tree - 04/22/23 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by bhugo
Had so many peaches last year, we’ll never run out of jam! Usually frost kills the blossoms. 20-25% of the time they survive. Hard to beat a fresh peach. Apricot too!

I'm actually trying to find apricot too
Posted By: bhugo

Re: My peach tree - 04/22/23 04:57 PM

Blushingstar and red haven are my peaches. The red haven are canners, good for anything, and early, where the blushingstar are table peaches and are later. They don’t turn brown when cut. Light flesh that’s good fresh or for cooking.

Stark Brothers have a quality operation. I go through them.

Re: My peach tree - 05/27/23 06:32 AM

So far my young Peach tree is thriving

Re: My peach tree - 04/25/24 12:35 AM

I planted a Reliance peach & 2 Moorpark apricot trees last night from Chief River Nursery. Chief River always seems to have good products.

Re: My peach tree - 04/25/24 01:27 AM

I planted many hundred apricot seeds, that I am hoping will come up soon. I am going to let some grow up and graft peaches onto others. I am hoping to make enough peach trees with them to start a you pick.

I have thousands of cherry seeds planted. Unlike most fruit trees, sour cherry seeds grow close in type to the parents. I've started transferring cherry seedling from their beds to deep tree pots. I hope to plant them in rows in the Fall.

I can barely walk right now and can get very little of what I want to done. It's been very frustrating. I would like to grow a huge number of plants this year.

Keith

Re: My peach tree - 04/25/24 01:27 PM

Nice looking peaches west river

Re: My peach tree - 04/25/24 03:07 PM

One reliable producer for us in Oregon is a 'Veteran' peach. I think they were developed in Michigan a long time ago but they really gained a following in Oregon because they hardly ever fail to set a good crop. The peach itself is not attractive, kind of a greenish yellow but the flesh is honey sweet with exquisite flavor. A free stone, you can grab a peach twist it in half and start eating.

Re: My peach tree - 04/25/24 05:24 PM

If I was going to start from scratch I would also go with reliance started by university of mn.

Re: My peach tree - 04/25/24 06:14 PM

Have you ever tried a Veteran?

Re: My peach tree - 04/25/24 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Have you ever tried a Veteran?

No sir not to my knoweledge...Im just wanting something to survive all our spring frost and yet a sweet delicate flavor. Again BP thanks for the info...I may have to hunt one up. Or find seed

Re: My peach tree - 04/25/24 09:40 PM

Seed wouldn't help but I see there are a lot of nurseries that still carry them. Apparently I was wrong where the variety was developed. It was in Canada.

Re: My peach tree - 04/25/24 10:10 PM

Seed wouldn't help but I see there are a lot of nurseries that still carry them. Apparently I was wrong where the variety was developed. It was in Canada.

Ive already been looking but honestly with my health I probably wouldnt live to see another bear fruit. Bettr cut my losses and stick with what Ive got. BUT...........We never know when our time is. cry

Re: My peach tree - 04/25/24 10:43 PM

You can buy peach trees at TSC, Rural King and Walmart, that already have peaches on them, that will fruit next year too. When it gets hot, you can buy the trees for under $2.00 sometimes.

Keith

Re: My peach tree - 04/25/24 11:00 PM

Peaches bear on last years wood. By third leaf you should be able to get a dozen peaches or more.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: My peach tree - 04/25/24 11:36 PM

I've grown Peaches, they typically will last 3-5 years then die. Might get one crop from them.
A waste of time in WI if you ask me.
Only way they might work out is planted close to a dark colored house on the south side.

Re: My peach tree - 04/26/24 12:12 AM

Peaches are dying from the moment you plant them. I used to think that the spray recommendations for peaches was over the top. After having grown two acres of peaches and nectarines for a couple of decades I came to the conclusion that they are understated. If you aren't willing or able to spray peach trees at least 8-10 times in a calendar year better resign yourself to the fact that your facing an uphill battle. I eventually took out my orchard for those reasons.

However no fool like an old one....just planted 60 peach trees this fall (after 15 years of no peaches) and am picking up another 50 trees next week. Veteran, Suncrest, Contender and O' Henry.

Re: My peach tree - 04/26/24 12:38 AM

Carl, who do you buy your peach trees and other plants from?

Keith

Re: My peach tree - 04/26/24 12:46 AM

Wholesale outlets. Eugene wholesale Nursery this fall and another large commercial nursery in Wenatchee, Washington (Van Wells) for the O Henry's.. Minimum order is 50 trees. Eugene Wholesale just went out of business and I was lucky to get trees from them.

Re: My peach tree - 04/26/24 02:06 AM

Thanks Carl. What's the name of the nursery in Wenatchee? My brother and his family have a house there.

Keith

Re: My peach tree - 04/26/24 02:45 AM

Van Wells.

Re: My peach tree - 04/26/24 03:08 AM

Van Wells.

Thanks Carl. I found their website and requested a catalog.

Keith

Re: My peach tree - 04/26/24 03:18 AM

I'm headed there on May 2nd to pick up 50 O' Henry's. Can I stay at your brother's place?

grin

Re: My peach tree - 04/26/24 03:29 AM

I'm headed there on May 2nd to pick up 50 O' Henry's. Can I stay at your brother's place?

grin

I can't give permission for him, but I'll ask if you really want me to. grin

They have a cabin on the lake in Wenatchee, that they fixed up and added on to. They also have a large vacation house they had built in Packwood, that my brother wants to fully retire to. He wants to plant an orchard there. I've been encouraging him to do it sooner rather than later. Their main home is near Chehalis.

Keith
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: My peach tree - 04/26/24 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by AJE

Solar fencer
Posted By: Drakej

Re: My peach tree - 04/26/24 02:32 PM

After trying fruit bearing size Contender trees for two seasons outdoors(tree came with a one year replacement) we went to a dwarf Contender planted in a container that we move into a three season porch from outside deck to temper the winter lows. Going on third season and getting fruit each season(dozen to two full size peaches - SO GOOD). More effort than if they could survive in the orchard but they are delicious. It does bloom very early so we hand pollinate it(self fertile) which seems to be working as we have to thin the maturing fruit as they seem to develop in groups of three's.

Re: My peach tree - 04/26/24 02:36 PM

I knew a guy that had about 50 dwarf mini peach trees. They were only about 4ft tall but did set heavily every year.

Re: My peach tree - 04/26/24 05:14 PM

Supposedly the Reliance ones are supposed to be hardy enough for Wi. I surely won't make any guarantees on that, but I did a ton of research before ever deciding to plant my 3 peach trees.
Update: I just looked at 1 of my orders this year & 1 of the 3 is actually a Contender peach. Arbor Day seems to claim the Contender should work for me, whereas Chief River Nursery talks up the Reliance.
Posted By: Mediocre Trapper

Re: My peach tree - 04/26/24 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
Supposedly the Reliance ones are supposed to be hardy enough for Wi. I surely won't make any guarantees on that, but I did a ton of research before ever deciding to plant my 3 peach trees.
Update: I just looked at 1 of my orders this year & 1 of the 3 is actually a Contender peach. Arbor Day seems to claim the Contender should work for me, whereas Chief River Nursery talks up the Reliance.

I have one of each I have got peaches from both them but never the same year this will be the 7th year so hopefully I can get fruit from both it’s hard to say which one better for my area there were mixed thoughts 7 years ago when I bought these two that’s why I got one of each lol it seems these are about the only two or best options in my area

Re: My peach tree - 04/26/24 06:18 PM

Just thought maybe I would share this anecdote on fruit growing:

About 30 years ago I went to look at a cider press at a guy's place about 10 miles away. I was amazed to see a two full sized orange trees with a heavy crop of full sized green oranges (nearly ripe) that October. He had them on the south side of a garage and had framework for a greenhouse built up over them but the plastic was only deployed during bad cold spells. It was doubled with a 4" spacing between. The old guy told me that when he first moved here he had asked about growing oranges to county extension and they scoffed at him saying it couldn't be done in our climate. We're on the 45th parallel zone 7a. Being Swedish I guess he had to prove them wrong.

Moral of the story is if you really want to grow peaches you probably can if you work at it enough.
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: My peach tree - 04/26/24 06:36 PM

That's interesting. I wonder how those oranges tasted?
Ol dad

Re: My peach tree - 04/26/24 07:30 PM

About 30 years ago I went to look at a cider press at a guy's place about 10 miles away. I was amazed to see a two full sized orange trees with a heavy crop of full sized green oranges (nearly ripe) that October. He had them on the south side of a garage and had framework for a greenhouse built up over them but the plastic was only deployed during bad cold spells. It was doubled with a 4" spacing between. The old guy told me that when he first moved here he had asked about growing oranges to county extension and they scoffed at him saying it couldn't be done in our climate. We're on the 45th parallel zone 7a. Being Swedish I guess he had to prove them wrong.

Moral of the story is if you really want to grow peaches you probably can if you work at it enough.

Yup, my first dwarf peach made it 9-10 years, two -30 temp winters killed it.
Now I think if I provide a shelter when it's colder than -20 I can stop most of the winter damage
I tried the contender all three died, the Reliance is the one I have the best luck with, I have two of them

Re: My peach tree - 05/01/24 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tactical.20

Yup, my first dwarf peach made it 9-10 years, two -30 temp winters killed it.
Now I think if I provide a shelter when it's colder than -20 I can stop most of the winter damage
I tried the contender all three died, the Reliance is the one I have the best luck with, I have two of them

I wonder if it's just a ~couple cold days that do them in or if takes a lingering cold snap
© 2024 Trapperman Forums