Home

Hernia surgery

Posted By: jbyrd63

Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 02:07 PM

Ok I have a hernia in my groin area that was supposed to be fixed last march . It got cancelled due to the virus. But been doing too much lifting and bending and it has started to bother me again. Anyone had one fixed down there? My only fear is being in the hospital to get it done with both the local ones packed with covid. Man surely doesn't want covid while trying to heal from that . Coughing would tear the mesh I would think....
If you had one how long were you down ?
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 02:14 PM

Good luck, hope.all goes well..
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 02:14 PM

Ace made a sling/wrap at one time to keep pressure on the hernia check you local pharmacy. Had one done in 2016 did a number on the stomach muscles flopped like a carp for weeks trying to move around. The weakness lasted a long time way longer the I figured it would.

They did the 3 hole in the belly type of surgery the Doc said it was easier I forgot to ask on who him or me. LOL
Posted By: wamp

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 02:20 PM

Do they even keep ya over nite for hernia surgery any more in 1972 I was in hospital for 4 days.

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by wamp
Do they even keep ya over nite for hernia surgery any more in 1972 I was in hospital for 4 days.

In and out the same day.

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 02:26 PM

Yea was told outpatient. 3-hole technique
Posted By: huntcook

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 02:47 PM

I had it done in 2017 early in the morning left the hospital before noon was going to do the gun transactions for our local QDMA chapter that night but the wife said no way. I had no problems with my surgery. Good luck
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 02:51 PM

I'm recuperating now from my surgery which was done on Jan.5,,which at this point is more still not lifting anything,taking long walks and doing menial things around the house.I'm healing as good as can be expected,I've went back once a week for check ups in which fluid was drained which I was told was normal.Now I go back in 2weeks.I was told there are 2 types of surgery for my type of hernia,one is fairly simple and the other is more complicated where they open you up and take out your belly button.Mine was the 3hole out patient surgery,the surgery itself is no big deal,but the days following you'll find out the meaning of sore.You have no idea how many times you use your stomach muscles in the course of a day.I had mine for a long time,and before I had the surgery had enlarge d quite a bit.I follow the doctors orders close and not be a he man because I want this done and over with.
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 02:56 PM

Wish I never had it done lots of pain and it broke loose good luck to ya.,
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 02:59 PM

Had 3 of them, listen to the doctor and don't lift anything heavy for 6 weeks at least.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 03:04 PM

I said in my earlier post I'm recuperating,I'm not trying to sound like an invalid.I've refrained from doing anything that might interfere with the healing.We heat with wood pellets,there's no way am I going to throw around those 40 pd bags.Or cut firewood from down trees in our yard,that sort of thing.I get around just fine,I just don't push it,if you know what I mean
Posted By: 4fisher

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 03:11 PM

jbyrd.....I'm assuming when you say the "3 hole technique" it will be done laparoscopically? I had bilateral hernia surgery done and I was opened up, sliced and diced. It was absolutely miserable. Swore if I ever had to do it again that I would never, ever have it done that way again. I know a couple of guys that have had it done laparoscopically and they said it wasn't bad, nothing like what I went through.

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 03:19 PM

It’s kind of a warning system for the future if you push it you will feel it years later when you over do it, I had pain on and off for a couple years but I’m always on the move it’s better now 4 years later. If I had to do it again I’d wear a belt as long as that did the job.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 03:21 PM

I’ve had both sides done. Do not get the hernia mesh !!! Had the left side done 50 years ago and that Dr. did a good job with no mesh, never had troubles there since. Had the right side done 20+years ago Dr. used mesh, have had pain ever since. Comes and goes. Contacted DR. And my medical records and it stated the mesh used is not the same as the one advertised by all the lawyers on TV. So I live with the pain.

I would never let Drs. Put mesh in me again. The problem with mess it shrinks over time and that is what causes the problem. Women who have bladder lifts using mesh have the same problem.
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 03:33 PM

Same here 3 hole laparoscopic with mesh hurts all the time and the mesh released just going to deal with it. Feels like I have vise grips pinching my skin all the time and the staples keep working out to my outer skin.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 03:43 PM

I was born with one. Had the surgery. Couldn't walk for a year.

My dad had it done with the 3 hole technique a couple years ago. The worst part for him was the pain from the gas they use to blow you up to be able to get around. He said it all settled in his shoulders and upper back. That pain made him forget about the pain in his groin for a couple days.
Posted By: headache73

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by WyFurHarvesters
Same here 3 hole laparoscopic with mesh hurts all the time and the mesh released just going to deal with it. Feels like I have vise grips pinching my skin all the time and the staples keep working out to my outer skin.

Yep. I've had it done both ways, double hernia both times. Old fashion in 85 or so, 3 hole with mesh bout 23 years ago, near I can remember. The mesh sucks, still dealing with that
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 04:07 PM

Had three done with mesh about 11 years ago still just as much pain as before it was done just have grown to live with it. They only won’t to consider using the newer style of mesh, that’s okay I’m sure it has the same results.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Squash
I’ve had both sides done. Do not get the hernia mesh !!! Had the left side done 50 years ago and that Dr. did a good job with no mesh, never had troubles there since. Had the right side done 20+years ago Dr. used mesh, have had pain ever since. Comes and goes. Contacted DR. And my medical records and it stated the mesh used is not the same as the one advertised by all the lawyers on TV. So I live with the pain.

I would never let Drs. Put mesh in me again. The problem with mess it shrinks over time and that is what causes the problem. Women who have bladder lifts using mesh have the same problem.

The mesh must be made of denim. My blue jean's have been shrinking for a few years.

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 04:41 PM

Thanks guys . My wife watched the video of it being done . She says just wear the truss and shut up LOL.

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Thanks guys . My wife watched the video of it being done . She says just wear the truss and shut up LOL.

Solid advice.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Ok I have a hernia in my groin area that was supposed to be fixed last march . It got cancelled due to the virus. But been doing too much lifting and bending and it has started to bother me again. Anyone had one fixed down there? My only fear is being in the hospital to get it done with both the local ones packed with covid. Man surely doesn't want covid while trying to heal from that . Coughing would tear the mesh I would think....
If you had one how long were you down ?

PIG CASTRATOR !!!! laugh

w
Posted By: EdP

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 05:33 PM

Had both sides done in 2000 with mesh. No problems since. Outpatient done on a Wed or Thurs and was back at my desk job on Monday. Keep a pillow, jacket or something else you can bunch up in your gut and hold tight when you sneeze or cough. It helps a whole lot.
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 05:48 PM

[Linked Image]
july 2017 for me!

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 06:18 PM

That looks swelled up! wink
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 07:06 PM

I had two done. One on each side. The first one in 1971. Stayed in the hospital 7 days. The second done in 2009. In and out of the hospital in 5 hours. No pain. Even walked over to my neighbors next door when I got home. A lot has changed over the years.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/23/21 07:39 PM

had both sides inguinal hernias fixed in 2012. Good as new now. Take it easy for two weeks and then slowly return to lifting light weights (<10lbs or so)

Outpatient surgery these days. Get up and walk as much as you can but NO lifting more than 5 to 10lbs or so

Get stool softeners too. Trust me.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/25/21 06:44 PM

I didn't know it but I had a double hernia, they fixed it with three little holes and mesh, lapescopial? My spelling is wrong.
Worked good, I lift over 100 lbs all the time
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/25/21 08:40 PM

Had a hernia at age 5, couple of days in the hospital, up and running around within 2 weeks! Never had a problem since. Im not convinced the old,new ways are better than just sewing shut.

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/26/21 01:25 AM

Well called the surgeon today See him Feb 10 unless they have a cancellation. I want this fixed , Hurting bad .. I was good until I bent over to pick things up and it went to throbbing . Had my truss on so I'm getting it fixed .....
© 2024 Trapperman Forums