Home

wood for hoops?

Posted By: LCoutdoorsman333

wood for hoops? - 01/22/21 12:20 AM

What wood is good for hoops for fur. I am thinking willow but don't have any around to harvest. looking to make some novelty pieces with some tanned fur. also do you steam it to bend or just bend green? any tips? thanks all for the help as always.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: wood for hoops? - 01/22/21 12:24 AM

I used willow. Don't have any near me either. I had to wait until I went to my camp where it is abundant to get a bunch. I bent it green and secured it on a beaver board until it dried and held it's shape.

Re: wood for hoops? - 01/22/21 12:58 AM

I was thinking maybe young birch but not sure. may have to give it a go.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: wood for hoops? - 01/22/21 01:16 AM

Tag alder?
Posted By: nyrat

Re: wood for hoops? - 01/22/21 01:21 AM

i use swamp willow . peel the willow as soon as you can and zip tie to old bike rims a few days and should be done . you can only cut willow in the months without to letter R in the spelling and will bend over the bike rim with no problem i make around 50 a year for the caft market and do my hooping in the winter time
Posted By: 20scout

Re: wood for hoops? - 01/22/21 01:24 AM

Most any straight growing tree or shrub will work. Best to cut it in the spring when the sap is rising as this makes it more flexible. Larger diameter twigs might need to be steamed or soaked.
Posted By: Boco

Re: wood for hoops? - 01/22/21 01:28 AM

Tamarack wont twist if used for drying fur,its uniform in thickness for several feet and grows dense and straight.Its the traditional wood used here for many reasons.For a decoration it dont matter what wood you use,its non functional,just decorative.
Posted By: snowy

Re: wood for hoops? - 01/22/21 01:40 AM

Here are some 18" I did today on the river. I do these on my beavah hoops also. I don't have a picture of one here but I like the looks. This is river willow just twisted around in a circle and will dry to the form you make them.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: wood for hoops? - 01/22/21 09:41 PM

wow thanks for all the info. going to experiment with what i can find. going to try finding some willow i can cut for sure.
Posted By: Massac

Re: wood for hoops? - 01/22/21 10:54 PM

I've had best the best luck using young sweet gum maple. Cut down in July, it'll bend anyway you want it to without needing to steam. I bend a little each day and tie it, then bend it more the next day and so on until you get the shape you want.
Posted By: Bryan Daigle

Re: wood for hoops? - 01/23/21 01:07 PM

Weeping willow.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: wood for hoops? - 01/23/21 01:20 PM

I really like the willow hoop that "Muskrat" did for me out of sandbar willow- I'll attach his website at the bottom for design inspiration. I have a couple black walnut hoops but prefer the authentic look better.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

https://riverinefurtraders.com/
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: wood for hoops? - 01/23/21 01:22 PM

Beautiful Work Eagleye/ Muskrat
Posted By: snowy

Re: wood for hoops? - 01/23/21 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan Daigle
Weeping willow.

If you are asking a question on what type of willow, I'm referring to river sand bar willow. 8 to 10 feet tall stuff and very pliable and easy to work with. I have soaked it in river for a few days and then you can do sharp curves and form about any way you want them.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: wood for hoops? - 01/23/21 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by snowy
Originally Posted by Bryan Daigle
Weeping willow.

If you are asking a question on what type of willow, I'm referring to river sand bar willow. 8 to 10 feet tall stuff and very pliable and easy to work with. I have soaked it in river for a few days and then you can do sharp curves and form about any way you want them.

Awesome, Thanks
Posted By: Posco

Re: wood for hoops? - 01/23/21 01:47 PM

Good info, great pics.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: wood for hoops? - 01/23/21 01:55 PM

I did several over they years and used the sandbar willows. Formed them around a 55 gallon drum.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: wood for hoops? - 01/23/21 04:57 PM

Good thinkin Pete!
Eagle Eye my son made a couple up like that and tried to take them to a gun show but he never made it in the door.

He was attacked in the parking lot!

Re: wood for hoops? - 01/23/21 06:34 PM

I really love both of those thanks for the pics.

sounds like they are a big hit to make then.
Posted By: Katcatcher

Re: wood for hoops? - 01/24/21 02:36 AM

I like yew wood but it is a personal preference and availability. For some of the Super blankets IMHO, I would think you might have to do the river willow weave to get something 20 feet long that wasn't too big at the base to work.
Pete
© 2024 Trapperman Forums