Home

Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore

Posted By: red mt

Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 05:55 AM

Anybody find a semi fur friendly bullet for it yet ??
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 10:06 AM

I never shot a 6.5 I have killed a LOT of coyotes with a 270 shooting 130 grain sierra boat tails. Exit wound looks horrible when you pick up the coyote. Skin it and toss the skin in a washing machine. Then flesh. That 270 left a tear about 4 inchs long to be sewed back up. Most of the time its not even found by the grader. If the rest of the coyote is good that exit hole is very repairable. Hit the front half of a coyote with a 270 you dont have to look for it.

Today I use a 22-250 with NOSLER 55 grain ballistic tips.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 12:30 PM

Pick a bullet that will give you a small hole. Danny, do those ballistic tips exit all the time?

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 12:33 PM

no. often they do not. if you hit high or low they make a real mess. have about a softball size spot you need to hit. about the same place you would shoot a broadside bear only on a coyote
Posted By: John C

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 01:38 PM

6mm Creedmoors are usually made for long range shooting and heavy for caliber bullets. Heavy for caliber bullets require fast twist or fast speeds at slower twist. In other words a 6mm Creedmoor is best for shooting paper and deer sized animals. It should flatten coyotes but you’ll have to learn to sew if you use one for them.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 01:41 PM

Get a dif. Caliber
Posted By: Osky

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 01:48 PM

Is it a stretch it out a long ways gun your looking for Red?

Osky

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 01:58 PM

i shot coyotes with my 270 cause thats what i had. kids were little and expensive. i couldnt justify spending the money on a new caliber. My mossberg 12 gauge, 10-22 , and that 270 were enough guns to hunt anything I wanted to.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 02:18 PM

6mm Creedmoore is just a fancy name for a 234 Winchester. Find what works for folks in the 234 and use those.

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Osky
Is it a stretch it out a long ways gun your looking for Red?

Osky

Yes sir, kind of a deer antelope wolf gun and a 500 yrd.plus gun for stubborn coyotes after I get done trapping mostly in springtime work. But if there was a bullet somewhere that shot well enough on coyotes I might shot 1 or 2 when traveling around checking traps.

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by John C
6mm Creedmoors are usually made for long range shooting and heavy for caliber bullets. Heavy for caliber bullets require fast twist or fast speeds at slower twist. In other words a 6mm Creedmoor is best for shooting paper and deer sized animals. It should flatten coyotes but you’ll have to learn to sew if you use one for them.

Yes sir thank you sewing is just part of it I do ok ,, I always liked the 6mm and 243 kids killed alot of elk when they were younger with 243 but 6mm creedmoore may be the ticket at some ranges. I was just throwing it out there to see what everybody might already have tried.
This place has a wide variety of experience
Thank you

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 02:50 PM

You can push a 55gr bullet around 4k fps in a 243. I'm sure you can do the same with a 6mm cm. May not get an exit would have to try and see.

Or go the other way and go heavy for cal non expanding bullet.

My 260 with 120 gr amax is not fur friendly. Half dollar to grapefruit size exits. Depending on how much bone is hit.

7mm08 with 139 interlock quarter to half dollar size exits.
But you dont get any spinners and flippers with them like with a .223 especially when range increases. They drop with maybe one kick or twitch of the tail.

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
You can push a 55gr bullet around 4k fps in a 243. I'm sure you can do the same with a 6mm cm. May not get an exit would have to try and see.

Or go the other way and go heavy for cal non expanding bullet.

My 260 with 120 gr amax is not fur friendly. Half dollar to grapefruit size exits. Depending on how much bone is hit.

7mm08 with 139 interlock quarter to half dollar size exits.
But you dont get any spinners and flippers with them like with a .223 especially when range increases. They drop with maybe one kick or twitch of the tail.

Thank you thinking of going heavier non expanding at time. Just places to start .
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by red mt

What you want Red, is the 22 Redline.

http://coyotestuff.com/the-220-redline-aka-22-saum-part-1/
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 03:17 PM

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/gentlemen-i-present-the-220-redline.3934327/
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 03:27 PM

try an accubond, will exit but not as violent as the BT's, I've tried the 55 gr BT's from a 6mm ppc on foxes, it successfully turns them inside out.
RR

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 03:33 PM

Try a 22 hornet on those fox with a 40 grain nosler and 10.5 grains of imr4227. A very light load but great accuracy in my rifle. If I start speeding it up groups get bigger. Really shines on red fox. Very little damage.

I shot a red with my 22-250.......once
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 03:35 PM

I tried the ballistic tips when they first came out in my 243. Too many exits you could stick your fist in on coyotes. Went back to heavier jacketed bullets. I would think with the 6.5 you wouldn't need much expansion to kill coyotes properly.

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Marty B
Originally Posted by red mt

What you want Red, is the 22 Redline.

http://coyotestuff.com/the-220-redline-aka-22-saum-part-1/

Marty,, SH has tried to talk me into a 22-6mm already it looks to me I might have to go back start reloading again .

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner1960
try an accubond, will exit but not as violent as the BT's, I've tried the 55 gr BT's from a 6mm ppc on foxes, it successfully turns them inside out.
RR

I believe that or a similar type bullet the way to go myself
Thanks
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 05:04 PM

I used FMJ bullets in a 6mm for coyotes, good medicine. At first I jacked up the powder charge for speed. Blew them up. Then I tamed the loads and was off to the races. Very small entry and exit, no more sewing. Not sure how they would do out 500 yds.

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 05:21 PM

Red
In 30 some years of control shooting the .243 has been my go to. I didn’t have to worry about fur. Federal came out with their 55 grain ballistic tip and I found them excellent. Not nearly the fur damage I expected. Good stretch to the round.
These days I’m playing with another round, the .220 swift. I came into an unfired Ruger #1 so before outfitting and using it I have another swift on loan I’m playing with. I sure like the smoothness of the shot but with factory ammo it’s very close to the .243 in performance. I understand the true potential of the swift is realized in reloading particular loads where it will outshine my .243. If your a reloader the nostalgia and performance of the swift may make it a great experience. For me the jury is still out mostly because I reside where I do. I may just sell the Ruger. We’re I living in the open west the swift would be a no brainer.
Just my opinion.

Osky

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by drasselt
I used FMJ bullets in a 6mm for coyotes, good medicine. At first I jacked up the powder charge for speed. Blew them up. Then I tamed the loads and was off to the races. Very small entry and exit, no more sewing. Not sure how they would do out 500 yds.

Thank you sir

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Osky
Red
In 30 some years of control shooting the .243 has been my go to. I didn’t have to worry about fur. Federal came out with their 55 grain ballistic tip and I found them excellent. Not nearly the fur damage I expected. Good stretch to the round.
These days I’m playing with another round, the .220 swift. I came into an unfired Ruger #1 so before outfitting and using it I have another swift on loan I’m playing with. I sure like the smoothness of the shot but with factory ammo it’s very close to the .243 in performance. I understand the true potential of the swift is realized in reloading particular loads where it will outshine my .243. If your a reloader the nostalgia and performance of the swift may make it a great experience. For me the jury is still out mostly because I reside where I do. I may just sell the Ruger. We’re I living in the open west the swift would be a no brainer.
Just my opinion.

Osky

Thank you sir
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 08:54 PM

Red I’ve used my .243 on coyotes for years and it’s all about shot placement. I use a 65 gr. ballistic tip at about 3400 ft/ sec and don’t get an exit. Strait on frontals are the best but past 400 yards and I haven’t had any exits either. I loaded some 58 gr. Vmax bullets and my rifle did not like them but I’ve had good luck with the Hornaday 58 gr even on windy days.
Posted By: jjbathke2001

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 09:42 PM

If your looking for a rig to stretch it out. Try Sierra match king 110 gr hpbt. Out of the 6 creed you buck the wind better than lighter bullets. I’ve been real pleased in the performance from 400-750 with them. Closer shots will require a needle if bone is hit.
Posted By: SwiftKIll

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 10:00 PM

I've shot many Coyotes with both the 6mm Rem and the .220 swift (my favorite). In the 6mm I finally settled on the Hornady 70gr spire point (not the super explosive). In the swift my go to bullet is the 55 gr Vmax. On a chest on or broadside shot I rarely get an exit at all. They are DRT. . With both guns you must avoid the leg and shoulder bones (if your interested in the fur). Osky, I load the 55gr Vmax over 44.0 grains of H414 for 3950 fps. Shoots super flat with 1/2" or less groups in my #1..
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 10:13 PM

Try the new Sierra 90 grain tipped gameking.My buddy shoots a pile of coyotes with those bullets and he switched to them last winter.He stated that they don't blow up like a lot of the other bullets out there.He showed me the damage on a bunch he skinned from Alberta-like almost 40 animals in a week.they were all inside out skinned and fleshed before sewing.I am sold on what I saw for bullet performance.Never been a fan of Sierra bullets for being fur friendly but these are impressive.Seems the have thickened up the walls of the bullet to control expansion vs. explosion.Give them a try.

On a second note you can try Barnes TSX as well-they don't blow up coyotes either-expensive-yes-but sewing is very minimum.Shooting them out of my 22-250 at 4000 plus-45 grain bullet-no blow ups yet and shot about a dozen coyotes-even the texas heart shot animals didn't blow up.They are impressive at that velocity.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 11:40 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned any of the .20 calibers.

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by SwiftKIll
I've shot many Coyotes with both the 6mm Rem and the .220 swift (my favorite). In the 6mm I finally settled on the Hornady 70gr spire point (not the super explosive). In the swift my go to bullet is the 55 gr Vmax. On a chest on or broadside shot I rarely get an exit at all. They are DRT. . With both guns you must avoid the leg and shoulder bones (if your interested in the fur). Osky, I load the 55gr Vmax over 44.0 grains of H414 for 3950 fps. Shoots super flat with 1/2" or less groups in my #1..

Thanks Swift... I’ll let the guy know who is working up my loads. I’ve heard great things about the Vmax. The rifle that came to me is a B model with 25” what appears to be a semi heavy barrel. The M77 I’m playing with is certainly a tack driver so should I keep the #1 I’ll expect the same or modify to achieve such.

Osky

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/02/21 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by 3togo
I'm surprised no one has mentioned any of the .20 calibers.

One of my sons does well with his .204, but it doesn’t really stretch out as far as he’d like. He’s a military sniper tho and nothing seems to suit those guys.

Osky
Posted By: SwiftKIll

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/03/21 12:04 AM

Osky, the Vmax is an explosive varmint bullet but to me it works better that the 55 SP because once inside it explodes and rarely exits. Like I said though you have to stay away from bone and pick your shots. When you hear bad things about the Vmax performance is from the guys that blast away at any angle or take running shots. That's where you get the massive damage.. Edge hits are messy with any varmint style bullet. I use the same bullet in my .223 Rem. Mine is the #1V. Have a few friends with the M77 and them have great results with them. I like the my No.1V because its a No.1V, nuff said.

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/03/21 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by SwiftKIll
Osky, the Vmax is an explosive varmint bullet but to me it works better that the 55 SP because once inside it explodes and rarely exits. Like I said though you have to stay away from bone and pick your shots. When you hear bad things about the Vmax performance is from the guys that blast away at any angle or take running shots. That's where you get the massive damage.. Edge hits are messy with any varmint style bullet. I use the same bullet in my .223 Rem. Mine is the #1V. Have a few friends with the M77 and them have great results with them. I like the my No.1V because its a No.1V, nuff said.

Swift the difference between the B and V models in the #1 are?
If I keep the #1 it’s going to be the new truck “stretch” gun, like the OP here is looking for. When they are that far out it’s a one shot chance for the most part anyway. My walking gun will remain a custom Tikka T3 .243.

Osky
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/03/21 03:09 AM

There is quite a bit of b.s going on here in this thread whistle
I would like to see some #'s posted on coyotes killed with relations to what I've seen...
And my #'s are MANY!

Caliber don't really mean squat..., bullet choice is what it comes down to.

I know some VERY serious coyote hunters that also save fur and they don't shoot anything v-max (unless sponsored by them)
wink
Red Mt, stick to a stoughter built bullet and STAY off the shoulder.
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/03/21 03:20 AM

Well I’m not sure what to say about the VMAX comment. I’m a pretty serious coyote hunter and have minimal problems with them. I start the season with a 22 Hornet which doesn’t get much credit using a 40gr VMax. It’s killed countless coyotes with dozens of witnesses. Longest kill shot on a coyote is 237 yards. With plenty at the 200 mark no damage. Then I will move to a .222 with a 50gr VMAX mid season and finish with a 22-250 or the Swift using 55gr VMaxs. It’s all speed and shot placement. I wish I could get sponsored!

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/03/21 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
I would like to see some #'s posted on coyotes killed with relations to what I've seen...
And my #'s are MANY!

I know some VERY serious coyote hunters that also save fur and they don't shoot anything v-max (unless sponsored by them)
wink

Awwwww you cheat!!! Your behind hounds!!
Nah kidding there Bucks... how did you finish out the afternoon? Fur still holding?

Osky

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/03/21 05:25 AM

And my #'s are MANY!

wink

That was.my thinking also sir ,, it's not imperative to save fur in spring summer work but fall ,winter be nice, when out checking traps. For 30 days ,, but wolf medicine, deer,antelope, same gun I believe it's the right choice. Because lots of 400 yds guns out there but truly not many 400yrd plus guns on coyotes out there. Without a whole lot of homework.
Thanks
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: Coyotes and 6mm creedmoore - 01/03/21 03:26 PM

And my #'s are MANY!

wink

x2
© 2024 Trapperman Forums