Home

Let's hear it, how do you tote em out

Posted By: warrior

Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 05:41 AM

Beaver, that is.

I almost always can drive to coyote sets. Beaver on the other hand almost always involves a walk.

I've done the snare over the shoulder. If it ain't padded I ain't walking far. Done the back foot in each hand drag on doubles. Did the bag over the shoulder today. No easy answer I guess.

Thinking about digging out my old GI duffel bag.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 05:43 AM

And yes I'm just old and fat.
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 06:14 AM

No easy way. I have carried them by hand, with dowel rod with loops(i'm sure it's called something else), dragged them with a rope. Had someone younger do it for me(that didn't last long), four wheeler, wheel barrel, plastic sled, by boat. In the end, no easy way in the south. Especially in the spring and summer. Winter is a little bit easier.

If it was easy, everyone one would be a beaver trapper. Sarge
Posted By: Massac

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 06:44 AM

Either haul them out in a jet sled, they're about $35. Or if it's a very far walk I just do a rough skin and haul the pelts out.

Last year I was trapping a spot that was about 1.5 miles from the truck, it's all downhill to get to the swamp and uphill back to the truck. I had just gotten off a 12 hour night shift at the hospital and went to check and had 6 drowned beaver all 40-50 pounders waiting on me that morning. As soon as I got them all piled up I was about to start rough skinning and it started to rain. I had one just about done and then I gashed two of my finger on my left hand down to the bone and had pulsatile bleeding out of both fingers from cutting small arteries. I knew I had to get those beavers back and with as bad of cuts as I had continuing to skin was not an option, so I cut the elastic band off of my boxers, wrapped those fingers up tight and stopped the bleeding. Then the fun started having to haul 250lbs of beaver up hill in the rain. I had my sled with me so I would put 3 in at a time, drag them 150 yards and go back and get the other 3 and then so on and so on. It was a 2 and a half hour walk out of there and I was plum worn out after working all night but I got it done. Hurried home and instantly passed out. I woke up later that night and finished the skinning job. I just used liquid bandage on those cuts and it took them a good while to finally heal. Sometimes a trapper just has to be tough.

I told my self the whole way back to the truck that I will never trap that place again. But I caught 9 there in two checks off of 7 traps. 3 beaver and a muskrat the first morning, and then 6 the next.

In the words of Douglas MacArthur, "I shall return". It's too good of a spot and one I can pull out of my back pocket when my other places of easier access slow down. I'll just be more careful with the knife next time.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 06:59 AM

Backpack.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 08:33 AM

Plastic torpedo sled attached to a deer drag harness that clips on d-ring at base of my back. Then your hands are free and your legs do the work.
Traps and gear into area and beaver and coon out.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Massac
Either haul them out in a jet sled, they're about $35. Or if it's a very far walk I just do a rough skin and haul the pelts out.

Last year I was trapping a spot that was about 1.5 miles from the truck, it's all downhill to get to the swamp and uphill back to the truck. I had just gotten off a 12 hour night shift at the hospital and went to check and had 6 drowned beaver all 40-50 pounders waiting on me that morning. As soon as I got them all piled up I was about to start rough skinning and it started to rain. I had one just about done and then I gashed two of my finger on my left hand down to the bone and had pulsatile bleeding out of both fingers from cutting small arteries. I knew I had to get those beavers back and with as bad of cuts as I had continuing to skin was not an option, so I cut the elastic band off of my boxers, wrapped those fingers up tight and stopped the bleeding. Then the fun started having to haul 250lbs of beaver up hill in the rain. I had my sled with me so I would put 3 in at a time, drag them 150 yards and go back and get the other 3 and then so on and so on. It was a 2 and a half hour walk out of there and I was plum worn out after working all night but I got it done. Hurried home and instantly passed out. I woke up later that night and finished the skinning job. I just used liquid bandage on those cuts and it took them a good while to finally heal. Sometimes a trapper just has to be tough.

I told my self the whole way back to the truck that I will never trap that place again. But I caught 9 there in two checks off of 7 traps. 3 beaver and a muskrat the first morning, and then 6 the next.

In the words of Douglas MacArthur, "I shall return". It's too good of a spot and one I can pull out of my back pocket when my other places of easier access slow down. I'll just be more careful with the knife next time.

“Sometimes a trapper just has to be tough”.........or smart. Here that would have been $60 worth of buzzard food. lol
Posted By: Massac

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper

“Sometimes a trapper just has to be tough”.........or smart. Here that would have been $60 worth of buzzard food. lol

I make $120-$140 off a beaver with a crafters market. All my fur goes to a craft market and I make a heck of a lot more than what I would get from the fur market. Just gotta put in a little more work and not mind holding on to stuff for a while at times.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 09:02 AM

I make $120-$140 off a beaver with a crafters market. All my fur goes to a craft market and I make a heck of a lot more than what I would get from the fur market. Just gotta put in a little more work and not mind holding on to stuff for a while at times.

That’s awesome. Wish things were better here. I have not trapped a beaver for its pelt going on 8 years now.
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 10:28 AM

I have a Andy Wiser Beaver bag , just ordered the Montana Bag from PCS for my daughter pretty sure same bag pocket might be different. I put a kitchen trash can inside cut down to size, works great .Carries a load really nice.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 10:29 AM

I have a cart 4 wheels , it works great , I think it call a hawk ,made I Minnesota
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 10:54 AM

Good story Massac. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: mole

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 11:12 AM

Wife hauls them out,
Posted By: keystone

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 11:27 AM

Brings back memories, beaver on one shoulder and a five year old on the other!!! Once my boy would get wore out i’d just throw em both over my shoulder, heck of a workout!!!
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by mole
Wife hauls them out,

LMAO mole!
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 12:05 PM

Most places.i trap beaver you can't cart or sled them out. I pack basket them out. I have had the pack so heavy I had to use trees to pull myself up to get going and walk leaning forward so I don't fall over backwards. 3 is my limit to carry at a time and sometimes is pretty tough. I don't skin and go because I use the carcass for bait. I am older also but trapping is my exercise so I don't mind the work. Keeps me fit. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sometimes one is enough and other times it gets heaped and going is slow.
Posted By: Paul D. Heppner

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 12:39 PM

I take my son and his buddy, one of my "adopted" sons. I have several. They all went to school with my son and are a pretty tight knit group. Though lately they seem to be taking me.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 12:50 PM

I went to a jet sled and it helped a lot. At only 155 lbs myself I can't carry 3 45 lb beaver out on my back in one trip, but I can drag them in a sled.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 12:53 PM

Sled or a wheeled wagon of sorts. Wheeled cart much easier. Have used a deer carcass cart also. If in very difficult terrain for cart or sled work I carry two sets of tarred cord line with adjustable loops on each end in my pockets. No weight at all and has come in handy for carrying cats, otter and coyotes out from walk in areas,

Keeps my hands free, as i throw the loop over my shoulder cross ways to balance the weight better. I also carry a small dish towel to wipe hands and wrap around the cord so as not to cut into my shoulders on the way out. A couple of 40# beaver can put lots of pressure on your shoulders. Then you catch a 20#er and a 50#er and your are off balance smile.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 12:56 PM

Like Posco, good packsack with a thump strap.I could carry 3-4 beaver when younger with no problems.Easier than packing moose quarters for sure.
I do 2 now.
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 01:00 PM

I use a sled, but I generally am fairly close to the truck and it is flat as Saskatchewan in this part of Ontario LOL... the closest thing we have to hills is the ditch banks (which can be 15' and very steep)

The sled is also great for hauling gear in/out
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 01:21 PM

Usually a big deep sled...sometimes the sled bungie corded to a 2 wheel deer cart. I have used a cooler float [Linked Image]

Posted By: eric space

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 04:53 PM

You have to slit them up the belly to skin so first thing I do is make about a 6 inch cut and pull out the guts. I swear about half a beavers weight is guts! Makes them much lighter to carry.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 05:02 PM

I made carrying straps from seat belt material with a cable loop on each end that went over a front and hind foot. I could carry two beaver out at once, one on each shoulder when I was young and dumber.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by eric space
You have to slit them up the belly to skin so first thing I do is make about a 6 inch cut and pull out the guts. I swear about half a beavers weight is guts! Makes them much lighter to carry.

makes sense it seems to make deer much lighter.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 05:17 PM

Back foot in one hand, Front foot on the same side in the other,
slung over the back of my shoulders behind my head.

You have to not mind beaver cooties crawling down your shirt though !!! laugh

walleyed
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed
Back foot in one hand, Front foot on the same side in the other,
slung over the back of my shoulders behind my head.

You have to not mind beaver cooties crawling down your shirt though !!! laugh

walleyed

Or, having you wife threaten to make you sleep outside until your neck stops smelling like castor! Make sure you carry them belly out when you carry them that way. I only made that mistake once.
Posted By: TRAPDOC57

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 06:36 PM

Watched a video on the cree indians and they hammered a piece of wood in the nostrils and used string or twine to drag them out. It was on snow of course but it looked easier than carrying them out.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 06:44 PM

Ski doo snow sled
Posted By: Roger Ringgold

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 06:55 PM

Two foot dog choke chain. One end on front foot and the other end on the back foot. Toss the chain over your shoulder and you can carry out two at a time and still have your hands free. Real good for carrying out of the water and or swamp. Then maybe switch to sleds or deer carts..
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 10:08 PM

I usually get maybe 1-3 at a stop & off to next location. If i get more than 2 at a stop and it's far off road i'll usually skin 1 on location & use a modified rifle sling to hook up 2 beaver over my shoulder. Got to admit most stops have beaver ponds within 1/4 mile of roads
Posted By: Co�s

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/22/20 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by eric space

How does skinning go without the guts? I’ve thought about this for long hauls out but was worried skinning would be much more difficult with a floppy, empty beaver.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/23/20 03:17 AM

Massac
You be the man
Tough ole Bird
Posted By: Mnsnowcat

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/23/20 03:34 AM

Ty wire around front leg to stick running back to hind leg, and ty wire around the hind leg. Use good firm stick, and haul out. Makes it fairly easy for carrying out one in each hand.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/23/20 03:46 AM

There's a reason they say that beaver trappers wear a size 44 shirt and a size 2 hat.
Posted By: Nodak63

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/23/20 03:49 AM

I use a large sled, not sure what they call it but big enough to carry calves during spring calving. Gear in beavers out. But I’m not expert and I only trap beaver under the ice.
Posted By: Billy303

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/23/20 04:21 AM

Miss Alice when a lot of walking is required.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: webfootwhacker

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/23/20 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
I made carrying straps from seat belt material with a cable loop on each end that went over a front and hind foot. I could carry two beaver out at once, one on each shoulder when I was young and dumber.

This is the best I’ve found. I used an old strap from a pair of waders that was complete with a neoprene pad. They are still heavy but it’s quite comfortable.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Let's hear it, how do you tote em out - 12/23/20 02:30 PM

Only carry two at a time. Rope from front foot to back and over my shoulder, or just carry by back foot
© 2024 Trapperman Forums