Home

Avoiding trapping farm cats

Posted By: mintdogg

Avoiding trapping farm cats - 10/30/20 01:36 AM

I’m trapping a new areas to get rid of cones in the farmer doesn’t want me trapping the cats. I was going to use DPS with sweet baits? And some live traps. But i was wondering if I use foot holds and I did water sets like a few inches of water, wood that keep the cats out of them. Open to any suggestions, thanks!!
Posted By: Artrapper16

Re: Avoiding trapping farm cats - 10/30/20 01:38 AM

Water would probably keep most cats out but not dogs if you catch a cat in a cage give a shake and he won't be back.
Posted By: white17

Re: Avoiding trapping farm cats - 10/30/20 01:39 AM

Be real careful with replies here !
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Avoiding trapping farm cats - 10/30/20 01:39 AM

Sounds like you're on the right track to me.
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Avoiding trapping farm cats - 10/30/20 02:51 AM

Sweet baits don't necessarily keep cats out of traps.
It depends on weather the cats are fed table scraps.
Shaking the live trap probably works but there were always so many cats how do you know.
just
Posted By: Bob

Re: Avoiding trapping farm cats - 10/30/20 02:59 AM

In a situation where there are domestic cats around I would use pull only dog proofs and cages. Setting in the water would probably keep cats out but I personally would not risk it. Coon are easy to cage, no sense taking any unnecessary risks
Posted By: MJM

Re: Avoiding trapping farm cats - 10/30/20 03:04 AM

Just run cages. Show the land owner how to release them, so if he sees one in a cage he can get it out. I have never felt like I caught the same cat twice in a cage. Dp's and sweet bait are not the answer.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Avoiding trapping farm cats - 10/30/20 03:12 AM

I have only caught the same cat twice once in my years of using cages. I use marshmallows for bait and that is also not real attractive to cats. I agree with having the farmer call you when there is a non cat in a trap. I would also leave him a supply of whatever bait you want to use as well. If he learns how to catch his coons and wants to buy a trap that is OK as well from my standpoint. He can then call you if during season if you want them.

Bryce
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Avoiding trapping farm cats - 10/30/20 12:53 PM

I'd set it with them ...in the water ...yes
Posted By: snowy

Re: Avoiding trapping farm cats - 10/30/20 01:10 PM

Use corn or set in water.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Avoiding trapping farm cats - 10/30/20 09:52 PM

I tried setting in 2" of water to avoid my daughter's cats with foot holds and still caught one on a very cold night.

I got dog proofs for the same reason. Pull only and still caught them.

Cage traps I just let them go easier.

My cats will eat anything even broccoli. They are

Odd and not very bright. I will catch the same one multiple time in the same cage set.

I would only use cage traps.

PM sent.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums