Home

7 year old new trapper gifts ideas?

Posted By: wisconsinteacher

7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/05/20 02:49 PM

My coworker has a 7 year old boy that wants to trap. She got him the book from the national assosiation and he loves it. What would you recommend for him to put on his Christmas list? He is young but full of excitement.
Posted By: waggler

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/05/20 03:00 PM

A few #1 1/2 longsprings, maybe slightly used and easier to set than new ones. I doubt that many kids that age are able to set any trap by hand, and I wouldn't get anyone that age a trap that needs to be set with a trap setter. If he gets a longspring on one of his thumbs he can always step on the spring to release it.
Posted By: Jonnytrapper

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/05/20 03:02 PM

You guys got weasels? I would think a weasel box or three would be safe enough for him to set with some help and already dispatched when you get there.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/05/20 03:02 PM

A not too strong single 1 1/2 long spring. He will wear it out setting and snapping if he is like we were at that age.
Swivel it well so it's ready for action.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/05/20 03:05 PM

Waggs beat me to it, we think alike.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/05/20 03:32 PM

Get him a mentor and a few long springs. Time out with an adult will be priceless.
Posted By: TrapperDR

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/05/20 03:47 PM

Coon cuffs and muskrat colony traps.
Posted By: salemtrapper

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/05/20 03:56 PM

Some dp, my boy was a little smaller then that, but coons are easy to trap. You can keep interest when fur is in the trap. Also you can make a hat out of the 1st coon. Also you have someone to set traps while you set coyote traps to try and keep the trash out of your sets.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/05/20 04:01 PM

Maybe a gift of time would be in order- take the boy out on the line and he might tell you what turns his crank.
Posted By: Redknot

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/05/20 04:17 PM

A copy of the book "My Side of the Mountain."
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/05/20 04:32 PM

Good Bucket... 5 gal,

Make a seat for it by making a circle that is the same size as the mouth of the bucket from half inch plywood covered with old carpet with a couple of 1X1 nailed in a X on the bottom. (make sure it fits tight) removing a section of the seat to allow for stuff to protrude (like Ice fishing rods) will make it a multi purpose bucket. Help the Kid do this or get the idea to his Dad.

replacing the little plastic handle on the bucket with a piece of half inch PVC will make it nicer to carry.

drill a bunch of half inch holes in the bottom and sides and its a water trappers best friend. (Leave the seat home.)

One of my buddy's who is 53 years old still has the bucket his Dad helped him make when he was a little kid...He still takes it out Ice fishing and Duck hunting every year
Posted By: Actor

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/05/20 04:41 PM

A copy of my book... "Muskrats," by Garry L. McLaughlin. It has much more in it other just trapping muskrats. I no longer sell them, but they can be bought from Dakota Trapline, Minnesota Trapline and several others. I was written for beginners, whether young or older. I had it proofed by young children for comprehension.

Garry-
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/05/20 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Horn
Good Bucket... 5 gal,

Make a seat for it by making a circle that is the same size as the mouth of the bucket from half inch plywood covered with old carpet with a couple of 1X1 nailed in a X on the bottom. (make sure it fits tight) removing a section of the seat to allow for stuff to protrude (like Ice fishing rods) will make it a multi purpose bucket. Help the Kid do this or get the idea to his Dad.

replacing the little plastic handle on the bucket with a piece of half inch PVC will make it nicer to carry.

drill a bunch of half inch holes in the bottom and sides and its a water trappers best friend. (Leave the seat home.)

One of my buddy's who is 53 years old still has the bucket his Dad helped him make when he was a little kid...He still takes it out Ice fishing and Duck hunting every year

Like...I may make myself one, lol.
Posted By: Ringbill5196

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/05/20 04:46 PM

Echo on the weasel box and lure.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/05/20 05:16 PM

depends what he has access to and parent time
does he live in town or out

if in town a couple live traps

a DP or two to go out and catch some coons with mom or dad supervising and maybe setting.

a 1-1/2 to make practice sets in the sand box with

maybe a orange bottle of tanning solution and help the kid tan up his first catch
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/05/20 05:17 PM

A pair of knee-high rubber boots if he does not already have some. Everything above is good if he already has boots.

Moosetrot
Posted By: furstroker

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/05/20 05:26 PM

Bandaids.
Posted By: wisconsinteacher

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/05/20 06:02 PM

He lives in the counrty with a swamp in the back yard. I like the weasel idea.
Posted By: mole

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/05/20 06:03 PM

FTA has a real nice set of animal ID cards . there is also a little trappers coloring book I have seen
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/05/20 06:09 PM

Subscriptions to a couple trapping magazines.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/05/20 07:30 PM

There are at least a couple youth trapping camps held in WI each year (health issues allowing). A gift certificate to pay the camp fee or part of it would be great. Instructors, peers, social time and learning all aspects of trapping.

Bryce
Posted By: slydogx

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/06/20 12:21 AM

I got each of my kids a duke dp, six #110 conibears and three #1 1/2 LS traps over the last few Christmases.
A good pair of rubber boots might also be the ticket
Posted By: foxpee

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/07/20 08:52 AM

Subscription to fur-fish-game.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/07/20 09:49 AM

A ride along or several means as much to a child that age as equipment he may not be able to use otherwise. When I was that age my friend's dad took me along a bunch and 50 years later I still smile when I think about those days. He also took me to a couple.conventions where I entered kids trap setting contests.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/07/20 10:08 AM

When my son was 7 he wasn't able to set 110s or 1.5s yet by himself but he got some of each for his birthday. I did get him several coon sized cage traps just inexpensive ones from tractor supply company. Also a few rat colony traps too. He had more fun with those because he could set them by himself, bait them, pick locations, and had a lot of success with them. My older son was 12 but gunner was 7 when I started him out and cages really got both of them started trapping. Snares too. Those two could snare beaver and coon like anything. Cages and snares don't have the big stiff springs that little hands can't set by themselves. Species specific, and teaches them to trap on location.
Some pics of Gunner when he was that age for you...Noah is my older boy.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: jabNE

Re: 7 year old new trapper gifts ideas? - 10/07/20 11:35 AM

And yes, ride alongs and take time to teach. Those are best gifts.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums