Home

old mounts and pelts

Posted By: jeff1911

old mounts and pelts - 09/06/20 03:39 AM

i was in a house this week that had a ton of old african animal mounts and flat tanned pelts. the guy said he wanted to sell a few...
can you buy and sell stuff that might be banned or endangered now, but wasnt when it was imported? anyone know the laws on old fur pelts?
Posted By: 20scout

Re: old mounts and pelts - 09/06/20 04:02 AM

You might but laws differ from state to state and one small error and you pay dearly for it. I would call your local game warden and then they may not even be aware of all the laws.
Posted By: Actor

Re: old mounts and pelts - 09/06/20 04:07 AM

Check with your state game commission. There are Federal laws that cover Taxidermy also, but your state people will be able to either tell you the Fed laws or direct you to the Fed Office that covers your area. I am both Ex State and Federal Game officer, but it has been too many years to give you a sound answer, so you had better check to be sure.

Garry-
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: old mounts and pelts - 09/06/20 04:19 AM

The new generation of wardens need to be double checked on their answers.

Check and crossreferance.

Posted By: wissmiss

Re: old mounts and pelts - 09/06/20 04:46 AM

A very important issue is documentation. If a mount or pelt is now illegal but was legal at time of harvest, if it has documentation of when and where it was taken and can be proven to be legal at time of harvest, it may be possible to sell.

One key date is 1972 - marine mammal act. Before that time polar bears, seals, etc were legal to be brought into the US. Another date is when big cats (lions, tigers, leopards) became illegal to import. I’m not sure of what year that was.

You will need to do lots of research. State and federal. Always get second and third opinions. Maybe more.

Good Luck.
Posted By: nimzy

Re: old mounts and pelts - 09/06/20 11:47 AM

Sounds like more trouble then it’s worth. Make the seller go through it.
Posted By: Actor

Re: old mounts and pelts - 09/06/20 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
The new generation of wardens need to be double checked on their answers.

Check and crossreferance.

I wouldn't rely on most Field Game Wardens... I would contact your District or State Offices.

Garry-
Posted By: Northof50

Re: old mounts and pelts - 09/06/20 04:15 PM

DNa tells a whole lot of stories about some of the animals and where and when they were taken. Country of origin is in question as many African states have changed....and the records they kept went poof. All the animals that I have seen have had their papers attached on the back of the mounts.
There are sure some interesting ticks that come in on those animals.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: old mounts and pelts - 09/06/20 04:55 PM

I wouldn't mess with any African stuff that isn't legal to import now. Being old, in the eyes of the USFWS, doesn't give you a pass. A famous case out of Maine a few years back where USFWS confiscated a 150 (?) year old taxi mount of a now endangered bird out of a restaurant. I wouldn't waste my breath with your local/state agency people, they have no jurisdiction over international critters. I would deal only with USFWS and only in writing. Stay clear of any "hard" stuff such as ivory, rhino horn, big cat teeth/claws. Nothing but grief there...
© 2024 Trapperman Forums