Home

Bobcat killing a deer

Posted By: VH60

Bobcat killing a deer - 08/17/20 02:13 AM

I am watching a hunting show called Mcmillan on the sportsman channel . He is an outfitter in Kansas (?) . He had a client film a big male bobcat killing an adult doe whitetail . I watched the footage and was surprised . I have seen threads here saying that bobcats kill adult deer but I was a bit skeptical about it . I believed they kill fawns but didn't think they had it in them to kill an adult .
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: Bobcat killing a deer - 08/17/20 03:52 AM

Easily, and even mule deer, which are bigger than whitetails.
Posted By: charles

Re: Bobcat killing a deer - 08/17/20 04:07 AM

They do a number on turkeys and cover the carcass with leaves if they don’t eat it.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Bobcat killing a deer - 08/17/20 04:18 AM

Even a young 'cat can kill a deer.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Bobcat killing a deer - 08/17/20 05:17 AM

Deer are easy prey for bcats here in Ga.
Posted By: mushfoot

Re: Bobcat killing a deer - 08/17/20 06:59 AM

in the winter here a bobcat kill a deer eats some covers it up coyotes eat the rest bobcat kills a deer and it just keeps repeating all winter long
Posted By: AJE

Re: Bobcat killing a deer - 08/22/20 09:19 AM

I wonder if bobcats sometimes jump from trees onto their target
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Bobcat killing a deer - 08/22/20 10:17 AM

yes they will jump from a tree, I have seen where it's happen
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Bobcat killing a deer - 08/22/20 12:02 PM

Cats are perfectly designed killin machines.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Bobcat killing a deer - 08/22/20 12:17 PM

Yep
Happens more often than most realize.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Bobcat killing a deer - 08/22/20 12:29 PM

Most of the bobcats that I harvest who are known killers of mature deer are females in the 16-17 lb. range. Most times they are killing during kitten rearing time spans.
They can kill relentlessly if they decide to.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Bobcat killing a deer - 08/22/20 10:46 PM

It's prolly a good thing the 35# toms dont like the way we taste is what that tells me.
Posted By: Farmdog

Re: Bobcat killing a deer - 08/23/20 12:11 AM

Our cat lottery system ended maybe a dozen years or so ago. Prior to that, if you drew a tag and filled your tag, the game commission would collect the carcass for study. They eventually collected enough data to throw out some basic charts in our hunting and trapping digest. If I remember correctly, male bobcat stomach contents were 70% deer. Females were much lower, can't remember exact number, but do remember rabbit being the highest percentage for females in that study. A lot of these cats were taken shortly after deer season, so scavenging or taking injured deer most likely inflated the numbers, but it's a FACT that they prey heavily on deer.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Bobcat killing a deer - 08/23/20 12:41 AM

[Linked Image]
I found this in Wisconsin grouse hunting. Lots of marks on throat area.Was it a bobcat???
Posted By: Fishdog One

Re: Bobcat killing a deer - 08/23/20 01:38 AM

Scout1, Yes

Re: Bobcat killing a deer - 08/23/20 03:57 AM

I dont know of anything but a cat burying his cache under leaves and debris so I say but default it was a bobcat. A mt lion would have eaten more.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Bobcat killing a deer - 08/29/20 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
It's prolly a good thing the 35# toms dont like the way we taste is what that tells me.

I guess so. Otherwise we'd have to look up while walkin thru the woods.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums