Home

Any small engine wizards on here?

Posted By: 10bands

Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 03:55 PM

My old lawn mower (almost 20 years) is a craftsman with a 5.5 hp Briggs and Stratton. It has always run great and still does except now it dies halfway through the lawn. It starts fine cold. No indication that it's about to die it just quits running. To get it going again I have to pump the primer 7-8 times and pull cord as many times and then it runs fine again for awhile. Where do I start?
Posted By: 160user

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 04:01 PM

PM Pat Fundine. Don't tell him I said this but he is a small engine genius.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 04:23 PM

Wild guess....make sure gas tank vent is open.
Posted By: white17

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 04:25 PM

Sounds like rings to me
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 04:34 PM

Loosing compression when it gets warm . Is it worth replacing the jug and rings on it ??
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 04:35 PM

Sounds like your atmospheric relief valve has expired.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 04:36 PM

It was used too much when it was new.
Or, cracked fuel line that might be sucking air.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 04:37 PM

The diaphragm in the carburetor that pumps fuel. Easy fix.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 04:39 PM

Carburetor.
Seen it a lot. With that age (20 years) varnish and gunk will build up over time. Today's crappy gasoline doesn't help too.
Clean the carburetor out , if needed rebuild it.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 04:51 PM

I'd just replace the carb. They're not very expensive. That and a standard tube up....replace the plug, air filter, fuel filter if it has one. If it doesn't have one, get a generic small engine fuel filter and install it.
Posted By: patfundine

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 05:14 PM

Imulsion tube is plugged or has dirt floating around in the carb bowl, it plugs the tube. No gas, no vroom vroom.

And 160 user is wrong..... I'm actually a magician..... I was titled that last week by 2 different long term customers.

I dont mean to be a jerk, but there's at least 5 answers above me that aren't even parts on that push mower.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 05:19 PM

First thing I would check is the coil. As soon as it stops running, if you have one put a spark tester on it and check for spark. If present then start checking for fuel problems. If no spark you have a coil that is breaking down when hot.
Posted By: HILLTOP TRAPPER

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by il.trapper
First thing I would check is the coil. As soon as it stops running, if you have one put a spark tester on it and check for spark. If present then start checking for fuel problems. If no spark you have a coil that is breaking down when hot.

this^ is the first and easiest thing to start with
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 05:59 PM

Or, you can buy a brand new Predator (Honda clone) engine at Harbor Freight for $100.
Posted By: GRP

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 06:37 PM

I do small engine/farm equip repair on the side. Seen this many times. It's a fuel problem. Idk what your carb type is. If it is a flo jet (bowl type) remove the bolt that holds the bowl on. Clean out the carb and bowl good with spray carb cleaner. Especially the bolt, it's ported, and the main jet which goes up to the throat of the carb. If it's a pulsa prime, (diaphragm) I suggest a kit and a good cleanout. IMO avoid cheap knockoff carbs found online, buy enough and sooner or later you'll get a junker.
Posted By: Kart29

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by 10bands
My old lawn mower (almost 20 years) is a craftsman with a 5.5 hp Briggs and Stratton. It has always run great and still does except now it dies halfway through the lawn. It starts fine cold. No indication that it's about to die it just quits running. To get it going again I have to pump the primer 7-8 times and pull cord as many times and then it runs fine again for awhile. Where do I start?

This same problem has happened to my old B&S thrice.

First time the problem was a fuel tank vent that wasn't allowing air to come in.

Second and third times it was a clogged fuel filter.

Could be a lot of things. But I would definitely check these things when trying to diagnose the problem.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 07:14 PM

Go get a new one. Worn out . You got the good out of it. Use that TRUMP money you been holing up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by patfundine
No gas, no vroom vroom.

I knew you would throw out some technical jargon!

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by 160user
No gas, no vroom vroom.

I knew you would throw out some technical jargon!

You want technical now...

Imulsion tube is plugged by green ethanol flakes. The engine will not run without gas. When you push the primer a few times it will break the suction on the tube from the flake of gunk. The engine now has the ability to draw gas up the imulsion tube and start. A few minutes later the flake of ethanol will get sucked up again and cut the fuel.

Most push mowers do nat have, fuel pumps - gravity feed. No jugs. Compression isn't really an issue in 4 cycle, it's more about leak down tests and valve adjustments- it wouldn't even start if those were bad. It doesn't have an electrical issue at all - it starts hot when you push the primer bulb releasing the pressure.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 07:34 PM

patfundine = majician and scholar

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
patfundine = majician and scholar

Dazzle them with intelligence, and baffle them with bs....
Posted By: 080808

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 07:52 PM

Use the highest octane gas you can get?
Posted By: charles

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 07:58 PM

Happened to me once. After replacing everything else, I replaced the air filter and it ran fine.

Get and Honda when to replace the model you have.
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 07:59 PM

Metering Diaphragm in the Carb. Ethanol fuel is hard on them.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 08:00 PM

Weak spark was causing starting problems with my Toro self-propelled until I replaced the magneto. In your case I, like others, suspect a fuel problem.

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 09:02 PM

I think the left rear tire is low on air and causing the problem.

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 09:31 PM

I'm sure a man of your quality has had this problem in the past....... I can only assume the hole was caused by a bullet, or possibly a shovel that in the heat of the moment missed hitting the snake and got the mower tire.

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 09:37 PM

I'm sure a man of your quality has had this problem in the past....... I can only assume the hole was caused by a bullet, or possibly a shovel that in the heat of the moment missed hitting the snake and got the mower tire.

That statement pretty much captures my mechanical ability. Usually when I bring something in for repair and they ask what is wrong with it I tell them "It's broken and doesn't work". If I actually knew what was wrong with it I may fix it myself.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 10:23 PM

May need to rotate the tires. uneven wear is bogging it down.
Posted By: K-zoo

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 10:55 PM

Check your flux capacitor.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 11:18 PM

Lots of likely possibilities listed above.
I had a situation recently with a chain saw. It turned out the gas pickup line in the gas tank had become soft over time, and the resistance caused by the little filter on the end of the line in the tank would cause the line to collapse on itself from the vacuum caused by pumping of the gas.
Shut it off and it would start up just fine, but soon after it ran hard for a bit it would die from lack of gas.
Posted By: timbremn

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/13/20 11:37 PM

A lot of my problems went away when I started using non-oxy hi octane premium
Posted By: dkrug

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/14/20 04:47 AM

Dump the gas and refill with non-ethanol if you can find it
Perfect setup for a $7.00 can of Seafoam experiment ?
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/14/20 10:52 AM

Its the Q32 Millenium Space Modulator (Marvin The Martian)
Posted By: 10bands

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/15/20 12:12 AM

Wow some of you guys are way smarter than you look. I took the thing out of the middle of the gas cap and cleaned all that up. Put it back and managed to mow the whole lawn without stopping. You'd think I would have thought of that having run small outboards with vented tanks for nearly 40 years. Glad I asked. Thanks for the help.
Posted By: TrappedOut

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/15/20 12:37 AM

Sounds like a bad turboencabulator....

Re: Any small engine wizards on here? - 08/15/20 12:38 AM

I would still check the carb out. Could be a fluke that it didn't die. I would be really surprised if there wasn't something in the bowl floating around.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums