Home

Interesting Article

Posted By: white17

Interesting Article - 08/12/20 03:40 PM

I would like to hear some viewpoints on this . Especially from Canadians

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020...ntent=top-bar-latest&utm_term=fourth
Posted By: mainer

Re: Interesting Article - 08/12/20 05:24 PM

Every major nation in the world, including Canada, wants to mimic the success of American technology behemoths such as Apple, Amazon, Alphabet, and Facebook. These firms have continued to thrive during the pandemic, and have contributed enormously to the astounding recovery of the stock market since mid-April.

The economic-growth theorist Edmund Phelps summarized the primacy of culture over policy when it comes to innovation: “Attitudes and beliefs were the well-spring of the dynamism of the modern economies. It is mainly a culture protecting and inspiring individuality, imagination, understanding, and self-expression that drives a nation’s indigenous innovation.” The U.S. excels at cultivating more of these characteristics than other country by encouraging competition in free markets...

If you blindly believe the myth (the wellspring of attitudes and beliefs) that modern economies are designed "by encouraging competition in free markets", then you're likely to miss the irony of the above two snipits from this article...not only from an economic perspective but more importantly from a cultural perspective.

Regarding the America/Canada comparison, I mostly agree. But the Horatio Alger nonsense of American economic exceptionalism is just too naive for my tastes.

You asked.
Posted By: white17

Re: Interesting Article - 08/12/20 05:47 PM

That's fine I was just looking for viewpoints. Thanks !
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Interesting Article - 08/12/20 06:48 PM

Interesting, the different perspectives between both countries. I too really wonder about Canada closing up its borders upon fines and prosecution time.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Interesting Article - 08/12/20 07:27 PM

Sounds about right-no rat race here.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Interesting Article - 08/12/20 08:45 PM

No fur market either!
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Interesting Article - 08/12/20 09:28 PM

My buddy who owns a tourist camp is not thinking the Canadian government is being very generous. Last I talked to him, camps fell into a crack that had yet to be addressed by the government. With 90% of his customers locked out of the country, by his government, its hard to believe his business wasn't towards the top of the list.
Posted By: Kansas Cat

Re: Interesting Article - 08/12/20 11:38 PM

Sounds to me like Canadians may not have jobs to return to when it is deemed safe to return to work. Our government, at least, understood the importance of a lifeline for businesses.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Interesting Article - 08/13/20 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kansas Cat
Sounds to me like Canadians may not have jobs to return to when it is deemed safe to return to work. Our government, at least, understood the importance of a lifeline for businesses.

Speak for yourself. 100% customers banned here.
Posted By: Kansas Cat

Re: Interesting Article - 08/13/20 05:38 PM

What kind of customers do you serve? Everyone should speak for themselves. America used to know that.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Interesting Article - 08/13/20 05:51 PM

Same as the Canadians. Foreigners locked out.
Posted By: charles

Re: Interesting Article - 08/13/20 08:21 PM

Did Canada shut down Niagara’s Falls?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums