Home

Canada Border

Posted By: 2020

Canada Border - 05/14/20 09:03 PM

I have a group of guys going to International falls trying to go on their Annual Fishing trip in Canada- Asking any of the Canada Guys if they heard anything on the opening of the boarder, Resort fly in Trip

Leaving June 2nd

What say You...
Posted By: atrapper

Re: Canada Border - 05/14/20 09:12 PM

I can't speak for the Canadians but I do live 5 miles from the border. As of right now the ports are closed and I haven't heard any rumors of them opening anytime soon. Of course that could all change daily.
Posted By: TFNG

Re: Canada Border - 05/14/20 09:16 PM

Start looking for somewhere else to go. I don’t believe the border will be open.
I fish Saskatchewan lots and they’ve got the roads into the North blocked, essential services only.

Edit- Travel is being restricted even within provinces is my point so I don’t think the border will open. We’re reopening retail business May 19
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: Canada Border - 05/14/20 09:19 PM

I haven't heard anything about the border opening. But like atrapper said that could change daily. Sorry, but I hope you get some good fishing in anyways!
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Canada Border - 05/14/20 09:21 PM

not this year is it going to happen, sorry
Premier Ford announced yesterday, follow his youtubes
Posted By: dkrug

Re: Canada Border - 05/14/20 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by atrapper
I can't speak for the Canadians but I do live 5 miles from the border. As of right now the ports are closed and I haven't heard any rumors of them opening anytime soon. Of course that could all change daily.

The ports are completely closed ?
No one crossing?
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: Canada Border - 05/14/20 09:46 PM

No Americans across the border unless you are coming over for legitimate business. We have lots of Americans here who own property and cottages and they are not allowed to come.

Most have simply cancelled for the year.
Posted By: Co�s

Re: Canada Border - 05/14/20 09:51 PM

Essential travel only is what I've heard. Wife and I were planning a September paddling/brook trout trip, hoping things are opened back up by then.
Posted By: dkrug

Re: Canada Border - 05/14/20 09:54 PM

Thanks Hutchy
Was thinking it would be traumatic to close it 100 percent
But it got pretty tight during 911 when the military was there
First time they actually got in the truck for a while
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Canada Border - 05/14/20 10:00 PM

Not going to happen. I just got an email from transport canada. They are not allowing any boats into canadian waters until Oct 31st at the earliest.....we're hooped..
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Canada Border - 05/14/20 10:03 PM

The border was set to reopen May 21 according to the original closure. By all accounts it will be extended another month according to reports.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Canada Border - 05/14/20 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by yukon254
Not going to happen. I just got an email from transport canada. They are not allowing any boats into canadian waters until Oct 31st at the earliest.....we're hooped..

They aren't allowing any boats? Not even locals?
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Canada Border - 05/14/20 10:09 PM

I think this will drag on until November if they can pull it off. They've spent 3.5 yrs trying to ruin the President..........what's another few months?
Rush Limbaugh says it will be an all-out war the next 4 months and I wouldn't doubt it a bit.
I hope It is not.

Re: Canada Border - 05/14/20 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er

They aren't allowing any boats? Not even locals?

No locals can boat, although there re restrictions on how many people can be in said boat.....havent you been told you are safe from covid in a Walmart with 500 other people but if you are in a boat with more than two covid will strike you dead?? Jeez man! They are not allowing any foreign boats in canadian waters it sounds like.
Posted By: 2020

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 12:00 AM

Thanks, Sounds like the census is a Big negative, Would of flown out of Sioux Lookout, Heading north about a 1/2 fly time- What does the queen say about all the Fishing camps/ Resorts about not letting People in that already booked their trips. ? A Lot of revenue lost- especially when all they do is send them out in the middle of a lake so to speak--

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 12:18 AM

Even Manitoban's that have cottages in the Lake of the Woods region are asked not to shop in Kenora.
good luck in re-booking for next year

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by 2020
Thanks, Sounds like the census is a Big negative, Would of flown out of Sioux Lookout, Heading north about a 1/2 fly time- What does the queen say about all the Fishing camps/ Resorts about not letting People in that already booked their trips. ? A Lot of revenue lost- especially when all they do is send them out in the middle of a lake so to speak--

Trudeau does not care one bit and it’s a drop in the bucket compared to what he’s done to us the last few years.
Never mind the deficit spending.

We can’t even share a boat unless you live in the same household.

Sask provincial parks are only open to Sask residents and only at half capacity.

We’re so screwed for a very long time. I’m starting to think we’ll have a civil war in my lifetime.
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 12:51 AM

I got a Moose hunt in September. Hope it opens.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I think this will drag on until November if they can pull it off. They've spent 3.5 yrs trying to ruin the President..........what's another few months?
Rush Limbaugh says it will be an all-out war the next 4 months and I wouldn't doubt it a bit.
I hope It is not.

This thread is about Canada. I doubt they are closing the border to hurt Trump.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 01:11 AM

Can you give me a link to a youtube video that says all this? My fishing budddies are saying I am full of it, that the border is opening June 21st. I have been listening to Premier Fords Youtube videos and have not heard anything about fishing and boating. They did say they were opening Marinas today.

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 02:01 AM

Flipper- Ford is the Premier of Ontario and the border is Federal so you’ll have to look to Sparkle Socks (Trudeau) for an answer. Good luck getting answers from that guy.

I’ll see if I can find something for you. Like I said before judging by the way things are progressing here that border won’t be opening soon. Your trip is later than 2020’s trip though.

Any opening will be last minute and depend on covid cases.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/healt...ld-be-closed-for-another-month-1.4937528

Current agreement expires May 21. Trudeau is pushing for keeping it closed until June 21 and he’ll get it imo. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it was extended again after that.

Sorry flipper I completely misunderstood your post but I’ll leave this up anyway.
Posted By: wheelers

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 02:12 AM

Resorts up there are non essential. They are closed until June 2nd. They will look at it after that. The border is another thing.

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 02:17 AM

Ok thanks, I just saw where no boats until October 31st or later. Thanks for your input.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 02:21 AM

Got a source on that Flipper?

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by tlguy
Got a source on that Flipper?

I think he's referencing my post ?? I got an email today from Transport Canada saying no foreign boats would be allowed in Canadian waters until Oct 31st at the earliest.

TNFG is correct, they are supposed to re-evaluate the border situation on May 21st but it sounds like the closure will be extended...hopefully only until June 21st but who knows..
Posted By: trappingmichigan

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 03:19 AM

I work on the US- Canada Border. The Borders are not closed. It's open for essential travel. Tourism- fishing- hunting is not considered essential. Canada Customs will not let them in, I guarantee it.
Posted By: James

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 05:53 AM

Bummer. I was supposed to go fishing in Saskatchewan June 13-19. Looks like I should scrap my plans.

Man, loss of a season is going to kill those lodge operators.

Jim

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by trappingmichigan
I work on the US- Canada Border. The Borders are not closed. It's open for essential travel. Tourism- fishing- hunting is not considered essential. Canada Customs will not let them in, I guarantee it.

Since you work on the border when do you think they will open it?
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 09:59 AM

Tourism is Canada's number one industry outside of medical. 90 BILLION dollars a year goes across that border from the US to Canada. If Trudeau wasn't such a dipstick he'd be working at getting it open as soon as possible.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 11:37 AM

My season was to start mid June in Sask then work my way up to Great Bear. Valu of those groups alone was over 66k to the outfitters.
All cancelled at this point. I'm hoping my later groups will be let in.
This is going to clobber many operators on both sides of the border.

Osky

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 12:13 PM

Marinas open tomorrow for all recreational uses.

One point here, when considering the provincial government, keep in mind that when they say that the emergency declaration is extended, it does not mean all current regulations will be in place until then.

For example, if the emergency declaration is extended until June 21, it does not mean all regulations that are in place now will be extended til June 21st.

It simply means the government is prolonging the period in which they can make changes without a long drawn out governmental process. We have been in a state of emergency for a while now and the regulations keep relaxing.

Federal is another story, and Trudeau has said that reopening the borders to anything but essential travel will not be happening soon.

That said, we have an american cottager who does business here selling rubber flooring to hospitals. She has a letter from her governor saying this, and the canadian government allowing her to cross. It is total horse crap because she is just coming to go to the cottage, but she is flying in by sea plane and respecting the 14 day quarantine so we ar enot worried. She is having her cottage stocked with food also.

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 12:13 PM

And it had better open by march. I have booked three weeks in the Florida Keys again and am bringing a bigger boat this time. lol
Posted By: Ronaround

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hornady Reloader
I got a Moose hunt in September. Hope it opens.

^^^^ SAME HERE ^^
BC/YUKON at North River had this signed sealed and all flights and rooms ordered Feb 2020. for Sept.8th.
This cant happen ,i will lay down an die. my retirement hunt and this mad
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hutchy
And it had better open by march. I have booked three weeks in the Florida Keys again and am bringing a bigger boat this time. lol

All this border disruption just to keep BOCO
from violating the Sovereign Sanctity of The United States.

It's all worth it because we don't want that filthy animal
spreading his germs to Americans.

If you ever find him, lock him up so we can reopen the border !!!! laugh

w
Posted By: kingrat

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 01:43 PM

Hes already infiltrated you, buying every ar 15 he can I heard. And coughing on stuff.

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by kingrat
Hes already infiltrated you, buying every ar 15 he can I heard. And coughing on stuff.

grin

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 01:53 PM

Why does every thread go OK till walleyed comes on.
Posted By: rvsask

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 02:01 PM

Tourism is Canada's number one industry outside of medical. 90 BILLION dollars a year goes across that border from the US to Canada. If Trudeau wasn't such a dipstick he'd be working at getting it open as soon as possible

Tourism is a long, long, long, ways from Canada's number one industry (medical is even further away from number one) and tourism from the USA contributes less than 90 billion dollars a year to Canada. Total trade across border is more like 700 billion approximately. I am not saying tourism isn't important but let's get some facts straight here. When the border starts to open up, I suspect tourism will not be pushed to the forefront of the list of what is going to be permitted to cross.

Tourism is currently seen as non essential and won't be happening soon. It'll be pushed back to the 21st of June and it would not surprise me if it happens again then. I cannot even travel to our family cabin here in northern Sask and I live here so I wouldn't expect to live in another country yet being being permitted to travel in northern Sask for anything, anytime soon.

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50

Want some Canadian cheese to go with that whine ? laugh

w
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 03:09 PM

x2

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 03:10 PM

Would you really want it any other way?
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 03:12 PM

yes
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by rvsask
Tourism is Canada's number one industry outside of medical. 90 BILLION dollars a year goes across that border from the US to Canada. If Trudeau wasn't such a dipstick he'd be working at getting it open as soon as possible

Tourism is a long, long, long, ways from Canada's number one industry (medical is even further away from number one) and tourism from the USA contributes less than 90 billion dollars a year to Canada. Total trade across border is more like 700 billion approximately. I am not saying tourism isn't important but let's get some facts straight here. When the border starts to open up, I suspect tourism will not be pushed to the forefront of the list of what is going to be permitted to cross.

Tourism is currently seen as non essential and won't be happening soon. It'll be pushed back to the 21st of June and it would not surprise me if it happens again then. I cannot even travel to our family cabin here in northern Sask and I live here so I wouldn't expect to live in another country yet being being permitted to travel in northern Sask for anything, anytime soon.

Those numbers were given to me by an outfitter in Manitoba. Do you have some data to back up your assertions?
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Michigander
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I hope It is not.

This thread is about Canada. I doubt they are closing the border to hurt Trump.

Yes it is keep the illegals here till after the election then ship'em north for the next round
Posted By: spjones

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 03:40 PM

1) oil and gas, 2) energy, 3) manufacturing, and 4) tourism

In that order.

Tourism will/should be allowed from areas, to areas with low virus risks.

Hot spots will/should continue to get shut out.

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 03:49 PM

Those numbers were given to me by an outfitter in Manitoba. Do you have some data to back up your assertions?

What specifically would you like? I absolutely have data to support my assertions.
Here are tourism revenues.

Domestic revenues edged up 6.9% to almost $63.3 billion, and tourism revenues from international travellers increased 2.3% to $17.5 billion

All international travel contrinuted 17.5, Americans about 12. Almost 70% of our tourism dollars come from our own pockets.

Oil
The production and delivery of oil products, natural gas and electricity in Canada contributes about $170 billion

Manufacturing
Manufacturing is a cornerstone of our modern economy. Accounting for approximately $174 billion

Forestry , double tourism from USA
Forestry is a major industry in Canada, contributing over $24.6 billion

What exactly would you like for data?
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 03:52 PM

I did a bit of research on international travel yesterday. It is amazing how it all can be shut down in a day or two. Every bureaucracy wants to put together some convoluted multi step plans to get international travel going again. I can only imagine how goofy this is going to be. Lay all them off, with no pay, and international travel would be open within a week. crazy

They are actually fighting over reciprocity. If we open to you, you have to open to us? crazy
Posted By: spjones

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 03:57 PM

Find it interesting that they closed Canadian/USA border, ahead of closing the Mexico/USA border.

It will be interesting which opens first?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 04:05 PM

I haven't hunted trapped or fished in Canada for some time. But aren't most camps In Canada owned by US citizens? Every camp I ever went to was owned by US citizens. I was told by some that the Canadian government was tying to run them out of business by lowering bag limits and increasing fees. Don't know If any of that Is true or not just stating what I heard.

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 04:09 PM

But aren't most camps In Canada owned by US citizens? Every camp I ever went to was owned by US citizens. I was told by some that the Canadian government was tying to run them out of business by lowering bag limits and increasing fees. Don't know If any of that Is true or not just stating what I heard.

Many are, but the "run out of business" idea is laughable. What fees? Lower bag limits???
Posted By: trappingmichigan

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by trappingmichigan

Since you work on the border when do you think they will open it?

Impossible to predict when, I doubt very much that it will be anytime soon.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 04:31 PM

But aren't most camps In Canada owned by US citizens? Every camp I ever went to was owned by US citizens. I was told by some that the Canadian government was tying to run them out of business by lowering bag limits and increasing fees. Don't know If any of that Is true or not just stating what I heard.

Many are, but the "run out of business" idea is laughable. What fees? Lower bag limits???

Would the Canadian government rather have those resorts run and owned by Canadian residents?

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 04:38 PM

Would the Canadian government rather have those resorts run and owned by Canadian residents?

Possibly, but you'd think they'd make it so non residents couldn't make a living off our natural resources if they'd rather have Canadians owning and running them.

This is about as much as they care I believe. We have a family cabin at a lake. There is a lodge there, owned by guy from New Jersey, he's got the fishing rights, deer rights and bear rights for outfitting. He also was able to purchase what was a government campground. He then had it surveyed, divided into private lots and sold them all for the tune of a few million. That's how much I think they care.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 04:38 PM

The U.S. is doing the same as far as border closing if I remember right?
Posted By: woodtick

Re: Canada Border - 05/15/20 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I haven't hunted trapped or fished in Canada for some time. But aren't most camps In Canada owned by US citizens? Every camp I ever went to was owned by US citizens..

Wouldn't matter who the owner is, its still Canadian soil

Re: Canada Border - 07/20/20 12:18 AM

TTT, for Loup Loup !!!! laugh
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Canada Border - 07/20/20 12:24 AM

All I know is this will screw up my Moose hunt.
Posted By: run

Re: Canada Border - 07/20/20 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by kingrat

Lol.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Canada Border - 07/20/20 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I haven't hunted trapped or fished in Canada for some time. But aren't most camps In Canada owned by US citizens? Every camp I ever went to was owned by US citizens. I was told by some that the Canadian government was tying to run them out of business by lowering bag limits and increasing fees. Don't know If any of that Is true or not just stating what I heard.

Buddy of mine owns a camp up there,,and he cant cross to get to his own camp.I know a young man from Canada married a girl here in New York.Still a Canadian Citizen,,but also a "Permanent Resident" here.He cant cross to see his family up there either.

Re: Canada Border - 07/20/20 12:15 PM

Section 68 of the Immigration Act is all he need to know to go.

Re: Canada Border - 07/20/20 12:20 PM

Any Canadian citizen can cross back. The guy you know has not looked very hard into that if he thinks he can’t.

Re: Canada Border - 07/20/20 12:30 PM

Section 68 of the Immigration Act is all he need to know to go.

I will talk to him today and see if he knows about that,,thanks.

Re: Canada Border - 07/20/20 12:33 PM

Any Canadian citizen can cross back. The guy you know has not looked very hard into that if he thinks he can’t.

Maybe so,,but im just saying what he told me a couple weeks ago.

Re: Canada Border - 07/20/20 01:15 PM

I’m saying he’s uninformed,not you. A simple google search takes one right to immigration act and what’s up with border.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums