Home

Your thoughts

Posted By: rex123

Your thoughts - 05/10/20 09:36 PM

Had the radio on in the truck and there were several clergy talking about how the state and federal government should be treating them the same as first responders helping them with money as they had lost a lot of money because of the regulations about no services and some churches might have to file for bankruptcy. Agree or disagree?
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Your thoughts - 05/10/20 09:50 PM

Disagree. Separation of church and state.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Your thoughts - 05/10/20 09:54 PM

Disagree. The govt will want something in return. And the congregation should still be supporting their church
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Your thoughts - 05/10/20 09:57 PM

Disagree
Posted By: corky

Re: Your thoughts - 05/10/20 10:07 PM

Disagree
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Your thoughts - 05/10/20 10:12 PM

Disagree. God will provide a way for his Church. Only reason the federal government gives out money is to buy our freedoms up and the Church should have no part that.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Your thoughts - 05/10/20 10:19 PM

All they truly want is money and power.

Keith
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Your thoughts - 05/10/20 10:53 PM

As if the government isn't wasting enough of our tax dollars. As long as there are veterans living on the streets, I think I have a good idea where financial help should go first.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Your thoughts - 05/10/20 10:57 PM

Nope.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Your thoughts - 05/10/20 11:06 PM

Have them get a job
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Your thoughts - 05/10/20 11:11 PM

Heck no! There are at least 9 churches in this little town of 2700 ppl. Can you imagine????
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Your thoughts - 05/10/20 11:12 PM

disagree

Re: Your thoughts - 05/10/20 11:17 PM

In the local Catholic church here one Sunday, they passed the baskets around.........the priest glanced at them, scolded the congregation for not giving enough, and passed the baskets around again for more money. True story. My Son was lucky enough to be carrying a basket that day. He just hung his head.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Your thoughts - 05/10/20 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
In the local Catholic church here one Sunday, they passed the baskets around.........the priest glanced at them, scolded the congregation for not giving enough, and passed the baskets around again for more money. True story. My Son was lucky enough to be carrying a basket that day. He just hung his head.

Happens here all the time. The send letters out every year of how much you’ve given, if you put your name on the envelope. Or if they think you just haven’t given enough. A friend of my wife got a letter from her kids catholic school that her daughter couldn’t play basketball for the school team because they have only given like 8 or 9 percent of their income for tithe and that is unacceptable. How they knew their income is still a mystery.

Basically gave them a bill for what they wanted them to “give” with a loving heart of course.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Your thoughts - 05/10/20 11:31 PM

Years ago I was interested how the different religions treated this topic of money.I asked a Jewish Rabbi what they did.He said,,whatever money was donated,he went out in the lot ,drew a line in the dirt.He would stand in the center of the line and throw all the money in the air.Whatever came down on one side of the line,,went toward the church,,whatever came down on the other side,,was his.I asked a Baptist minister what he did.He said,,he went out in the lot and drew a circle in the dirt,,stood in the center of the circle.He threw all the money in the air.What ever came down outside the circle,went to the church.Whatever landed in the circle,,was his.I askes a Catholic priest how they did it.He said,,similar to the others.He went out in the lot and threw all the money in the air.Whatever God grabbed,,went to the church,,whatever came down was his. smile
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Your thoughts - 05/10/20 11:34 PM

Christ is the Church. He can not go bankrupt.

For the record, the Bible addresses this by St. Paul. He stated that when the donations brought him hard times, he worked as a tanner. For those unfamiliar with the job, the tanner placed hides in the ocean, to rot them, and they smelled rotten, because they were, and then had to be scraped, and conditioned to be turned into leather.

It was disgusting, smelly, hard labor and St. Paul did it for the Lord Christ in the Gospel. These preachers have jobs awaiting for them with their Mexicans, which Catholic Charities, Jewish Charities and Lutheran Social Services have been paid to bring in slave labor into the United States, specifically hot butchering plants. These preachers want money, let them join their Mexican sheep and bleat there with Coronavirus for a buck.

That is what King Solomon would have judged in dividing this child.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Your thoughts - 05/10/20 11:36 PM

Tax exempt folk shouldn't cry to the gubment for money.Just my opinion.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Your thoughts - 05/10/20 11:41 PM

Keith

Re: Your thoughts - 05/10/20 11:59 PM

We took our children to church until they were old enough to decide themselves whether they wanted to go or not. Some of the nastiest personalities I've known came out of clergy people.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Your thoughts - 05/11/20 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Michigan Trappin
the congregation should still be supporting their church

exactly, true/devout Christians are mailing their tithe weekly or monthly. Granted, since I am down to 30 hr work week, my 10% is a lil less, but HE understands.
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Your thoughts - 05/11/20 12:04 AM

Negatory.
Posted By: run

Re: Your thoughts - 05/11/20 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
Disagree. Separation of church and state.

X2.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Your thoughts - 05/11/20 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Michigan Trappin
Disagree. The govt will want something in return. And the congregation should still be supporting their church

Agree.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Your thoughts - 05/11/20 12:39 AM

Well the Mormon faith T-Man members love to bash the most on this site, (or is it the hillbillies?)....I guess if your a Mormon hillbilly you really have it coming, Lol

Anyway, Mormon Bishop's don't get paid, in fact NO ONE in a Mormon church gets paid, except the janitor.

And the Mormons ain't asking for squat, and have their own food stores for the next 100 yrs, and can basically give the middle finger to the government....I just have to admire that.

grin
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Your thoughts - 05/11/20 12:49 AM

i agree or disagree read to many non-relevant threads, parishoners can still donate by mail

Re: Your thoughts - 05/11/20 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
Well the Mormon faith T-Man members love to bash the most on this site, (or is it the hillbillies?)....I guess if your a Mormon hillbilly you really have it coming, Lol

Anyway, Mormon Bishop's don't get paid, in fact NO ONE in a Mormon church gets paid, except the janitor.

And the Mormons ain't asking for squat, and have their own food stores for the next 100 yrs, and can basically give the middle finger to the government....I just have to admire that.

grin

I know a Mormon dentist that gave the middle finger to the Govt. over income taxes...............ain't working out real well for him.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Your thoughts - 05/11/20 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter

grin

I know a Mormon dentist that gave the middle finger to the Govt. over income taxes...............ain't working out real well for him.

Lol, I would think not.
Posted By: Duckie1

Re: Your thoughts - 05/11/20 02:14 AM

Not a real churchy person, but I can see why they would say that. Hard to use the separation of church and state argument when it is the state saying people can't go to church. (to the point of breaking up church meetings with law enforcement)
If we use the reasoning that people can still send money to churches then shouldn't that also be applied to businesses as well, both of them have bills and employees to pay.
Fun to play Devil's Advocate.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Your thoughts - 05/11/20 02:26 AM

I disagree, but have found it funny that the separation of church and state seems to just go one way!! 10 commandments in the capital building Absolutely Not! We can’t have religion influencing government! You can’t go to church because of the virus says the State. Don’t ask questions sit down and shut up! Funny how that works
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Your thoughts - 05/11/20 02:45 AM

Disagree. Our church has been doing online services for two months now but i still take the tithes down on Sunday and give it to one of our deacons, even though they have never ask anyone too. I've been at the same church for 35 years and never heard anyone ask for members to give more or condone people for not giving enough. But seems we've always had what we needed
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Your thoughts - 05/11/20 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Duckie1
Not a real churchy person, but I can see why they would say that. Hard to use the separation of church and state argument when it is the state saying people can't go to church. (to the point of breaking up church meetings with law enforcement)
If we use the reasoning that people can still send money to churches then shouldn't that also be applied to businesses as well, both of them have bills and employees to pay.
Fun to play Devil's Advocate.

They are tax exempt and thus pay nothing into the pot. And if ya don't pot anything into the pot, don't turn up with a spoon at dinner time.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Your thoughts - 05/11/20 10:13 AM

Perhaps the Govt should be fined for stomping on or withholding ones right.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Your thoughts - 05/11/20 12:44 PM

Nope, that would be gov't supporting a religion and is unconstitutional.

I'm really tired of this idea that the federal gov't should "make everyone whole" for what was lost due to a global pandemic. Common folks, the money from any gov't, local, state, or federal, comes from the people and nowhere else. 30% of the money that cycles through the federal gov't (taken in via taxes and redistributed) is consumed in the process of collection and redistribution. We just need to leave it in the hands of the people and let them put it directly into the economy instead of funding the collectors and redistributors.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Your thoughts - 05/11/20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by star flakes
Christ is the Church. He can not go bankrupt.

For the record, the Bible addresses this by St. Paul. He stated that when the donations brought him hard times, he worked as a tanner. For those unfamiliar with the job, the tanner placed hides in the ocean, to rot them, and they smelled rotten, because they were, and then had to be scraped, and conditioned to be turned into leather.

It was disgusting, smelly, hard labor and St. Paul did it for the Lord Christ in the Gospel. These preachers have jobs awaiting for them with their Mexicans, which Catholic Charities, Jewish Charities and Lutheran Social Services have been paid to bring in slave labor into the United States, specifically hot butchering plants. These preachers want money, let them join their Mexican sheep and bleat there with Coronavirus for a buck.

That is what King Solomon would have judged in dividing this child.

I think we may have two different schools of thought on St. Paul. I was always taught that it was forbidden for Jews to be tanners esp. men of higher learning such as Paul. When he had a shortage of funds he would turn to tent making which was a specialty of Tarsus. They made the material for tents from goats hair and was called cilicium. Since the biggest market was for tents to sell to the Roman army made from leather and particularly pig skin both would have been off limits for Paul, thus the tents were made from goat hair which was usually sold to nomads.

Since their is plenty of tanners on here maybe there is other ideas to catch us up on history and real time and thus how it actually is.

Also the tanners were often located near the sea but they never used the salty sea water to rot the hair off because the salt content would pickle the hair on. They would use fresh spring water from the hills along the ocean to slip the hair. They worked by the sea shore because of the associated breeze of the wind from the sea to carry away the terrible smell.

As far as getting money from the gov I can't imagine after all the fuss over separation of church and state, that any sane preacher would advocate getting in on the gravy train or pork barrel for any funds. Unless of course he has upcoming payments on his airplane and yacht. Possibly they need Peters lesson to bring them back down to earth.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums