Home

Help me understand this mask thing

Posted By: loosegoose

Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:05 AM

What's the deal with everyone wearing masks? At first we were told masks were useless against covid19, but that they needed to be saved for doctors. Now we're told to wear one out in public, and that it doesn't have to be an N95 type mask, just something to cover your.mouth and nose. But......the coronavirus is a tiny microscopic particle that travels on microscopic snot and spit particles, and these particles can easily pass through cloth, not to mention the fact that these face covering (non N95 type) masks leave huge gaps around the nose and cheeks.
So obviously these masks do nothing to stop snot and spit droplets from coming out of, or going into, your mouth and nose. They can catch a sneeze or cough, sure, but not the stuff that comes out of you every time you breathe. So why are people wearing them when they're basically not effective at all? Do people really think they're helping? Am I getting it wrong, do these masks actually help prevent the spread of covid19?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:10 AM

Use a shamwow.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:14 AM

Does a mask help?

I don't know, but, it sure can't hurt. Unlike shutting down an entire society.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:14 AM

I see em driving solo down the road , mask and gloves ......lol.............hook , line , and sinker

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Use a shamwow.

Lol
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:22 AM

It makes the wearer feel better.
Posted By: white17

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:29 AM

It also stops you from touching your face as much
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:30 AM

No it helps to prevent YOU from giving it to someone else if you are infected. IT WILL NOT PREVENT you from getting any illness. Look at it this way . Does the surgeon wear a mask while operating on you because he is afraid to catch something from you? No he is preventing himself from omitting any germs into your open body......
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:35 AM

Prevent isn't the right word, less likely is a better description.

If people want to wear it, that's fine.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:35 AM

It is a "requirement" here in Michigan, thanks to Wretched Hitler.

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by white17
It also stops you from touching your face as much

Idk white ........some people even with underware scratch their ............lol
Posted By: white17

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:37 AM

ROFLMAO !!!!

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
No it helps to prevent YOU from giving it to someone else if you are infected. IT WILL NOT PREVENT you from getting any illness. Look at it this way . Does the surgeon wear a mask while operating on you because he is afraid to catch something from you? No he is preventing himself from omitting any germs into your open body......

But that's the thing.....if I have covid19, and I'm wearing a mask with gaps on the sides of my nose so big I can stick 2 fingers in them, is that really going to stop microscopic particles from getting out and floating though the air? I can't see how it would possibly stop anything. What good does a.mask that isn't sealed to your face and have a filtration level such that a virus can't get though possibly do?
Posted By: trapper10/22

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 03:03 AM

As far as i'm concerned, thinking that a mask will stop corona is like thinking your undies will stop a fart

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by trapper10/22
As far as i'm concerned, thinking that a mask will stop corona is like thinking your undies will stop a fart

Whats that brown skid mark in your shorts then?

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 03:08 AM

That's the diarrhea that you though was a fart.
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 03:09 AM

A sign of submission.
Posted By: trapper10/22

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 03:09 AM

Undies may stop crappage. Masks may stop snot.
But the vaporized matter will find its way out
Posted By: ScottW

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 03:11 AM

Goose, as 49er said above......not prevent, but make less likely. For example, maybe it only reduces your chances of passing it on by 25%......heck of a lot better than nothkng! Happy trapping! ScottW
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 03:15 AM

Here's where I am coming from and I would assume many others are in the same situation... I am in a risk category and my wife is very high risk and if she gets it she will have serious medical issues if not death. We have been pretty much holed up here, ordering groceries, and only going out in the public when we have to. When we go out in public I am the one who leaves the car with an N95 mask and rubber gloves on. When I get back to the car I remove the gloves using sterile procedure, remove the mask, and then sanitize my hands using alcohol.

I figure if wearing a mask even REDUCES the chances of either one of us, or someone else getting COVID then it is worth it. I wish everyone was wearing a mask at this point as a means to REDUCE the chances of this disease passing between us.

Now I understand the tenets of personal choice and all and I respect that. But the aspects of this disease are such that people can appear and feel very healthy yet be infecting those around you without even realizing it. We can all nitpick about the loose fit of masks and all the other stuff I have seen in these discussions, but you all have to keep in mind there are some of us that a case of COVID can be debilitating or deadly to us. In my mind, wearing a mask is not too much to ask.

Moosetrot
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 03:28 AM

the concept with the mask is that Covid 19 is spread by close proximity air carried saliva

really more of a contagious person spits on people and then they get infected when they breath it in or get it to mouth, nose maybe eyes.

the mask places a barrier to saliva particles

the mask does only little to protect those not infected

it does more to keep those infected from spitting on people

if both wear masks it is better yet

since no one knows they have it till days after they contagious , everyone wearing a mask if they will be close to other people outside their household gives the greatest level of protection from spread.

face it , even though Walmart has one way isles a lot of people don't get it and walk the wrong direction and you frequently even when trying to keep distance end up closer than you would like to people.

they have found that when using lasers and high speed cameras people talking loudly project saliva particles around 4 feet and that the micro particles hang suspended in stagnant air for 20 minutes

6 feet was an attempt to reduce saliva transmission

good air flow also helps

Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 03:41 AM

I don't wear a mask and I don't look down upon those who do. If it were mandated, I'd wear one albeit it a little begrudgingly. i"d buy ones with trump 2020 on them.

Outside of school functions and trapper get togethers I've been perfecting social distancing most of my adult life.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 04:40 AM

Yesterday I saw a woman wearing a mask with a hole cut out for her mouth.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 05:07 AM

If the government wants people to wear masks they should supply the public with safe N95 masks.I remember them telling everyone no need for masks.Don't buy the N95 masks we need them for heath care workers.Well no need for masks if the government would have done their job and stopped this virus before it happened.They could have done that and failed the american people.Now we have tens of thousands dying,millions out of work,thousands in isolation,people that will starve and all they are worried about yet is money.That's the reason they never shut the country down in the beginning was money.Maybe when and if they mail a 1200 dollar check they should put a note in there saying."Sorry we killed your Grampa but here's 1200 dollars that is what you are worth."
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 05:15 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 05:29 AM

So if the guy does not pee in the first place does anyone need to worry about getting wet?
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 05:32 AM

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear does it make noise?

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 05:35 AM

Don't worry Loosegoose, if you wear a mask God will still know who you are!
Posted By: beeman

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 11:57 AM

Moosetrot,

You are right in that you and your wife are not alone in this situation. My wife 68 and me 70 are in your group. Since returning from AZ the 18th of March we have been practicing stay at home practices and have only went out a few times. When we have gone out we wear masks and gloves. We do our best to try and keep from getting Covid19 . Anybody getting this disease in our age group is going to have a tough time recovering if they do recover.

What possibly can be so harmful to someone that they wouldn’t wear a mask to either keep from getting or giving Covid19? I know when I see someone with a mask on I want to thank them for caring enough to do so.

The comments some say tells me that they do not care if they get or give Covid19 to themselves or someone else. I can’t believe that
they want to give their parents or “uncle Charlie” or “Aunt Bea” this disease or take it home to their family’s.

To me it’s like opening a door for an old lady. Common courtesy. You helped someone out and what did it hurt you?
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by beeman

What possibly can be so harmful to someone that they wouldn’t wear a mask to either keep from getting or giving Covid19?

Standing in check out line in Lowe’s Saturday with a N95 on I about launched into an asthma attack. I haven’t had one since I was 18. I had to leave my stuff and go outside and catch up on some air. lol
Posted By: Outbackbob48

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 12:27 PM

Sheeple
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Slick Pan
If the government wants people to wear masks they should supply the public with safe N95 masks.I remember them telling everyone no need for masks.Don't buy the N95 masks we need them for heath care workers.Well no need for masks if the government would have done their job and stopped this virus before it happened.They could have done that and failed the american people.Now we have tens of thousands dying,millions out of work,thousands in isolation,people that will starve and all they are worried about yet is money.That's the reason they never shut the country down in the beginning was money.Maybe when and if they mail a 1200 dollar check they should put a note in there saying."Sorry we killed your Grampa but here's 1200 dollars that is what you are worth."

Who is this "they" you speak of? They can only supply masks or checks using our money. And they don't have any magic to stop a virus before it happens. Sure, "they" could have involked marshal law, mandatory quarintine for everyone everywhere to try to stop this thing, but only if we let them, because they are us.

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 12:35 PM

My point is that the masks, along with the 6 foot rule, are a placebo at best, and are getting more people sick at worst. For those who are immunocompromised, think of it like this.....

Would you stand 6 feet away from someone that you knew for an absolute fact had covid19? Of course not. If not, why do you trust the 6 foot rule with people who you don't know if they are infected or not?

Would you stand 6 feet away from someone wearing a mask with a huge gap around the nose, knowing they were spewing coronavirus particles through that gap? If not, why would you stand 6 feet from someone with a loose fitting mask if you don't know whether or not they're infected?

I think these masks provide a false sense of security, and if you're immunocompromised, they provide you little to no protection, yet allow you to o put yourself in harm's way because you think you're safer wearing them.
Posted By: charles

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 12:41 PM

Wear is aa a courtesy to others, especially to those tired doctors and nurse who are trying to save lives.
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 12:58 PM

Have any of you ever had a face mask on while turkey hunting on a cold morning? Ever seen your breath through it? It cuts down some I am sure but to say it protects you is not a true statement. Like Jaymie's little example if we all have masks on it cuts down on it. The mad scientist Faucci told us masks were no good so they could stockpile them. After they had the strategic stockpile full all of a sudden the masks work for the common folks again.

Yes the surgeon uses it to protect the patient but in this case it was to protect the health care provider. Of course they knew this all along. They did not want people buying them like toilet paper before they had what they thought they needed. LLL

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
My point is that the masks, along with the 6 foot rule, are a placebo at best, and are getting more people sick at worst. For those who are immunocompromised, think of it like this.....

Would you stand 6 feet away from someone that you knew for an absolute fact had covid19? Of course not. If not, why do you trust the 6 foot rule with people who you don't know if they are infected or not?

Would you stand 6 feet away from someone wearing a mask with a huge gap around the nose, knowing they were spewing coronavirus particles through that gap? If not, why would you stand 6 feet from someone with a loose fitting mask if you don't know whether or not they're infected?

I think these masks provide a false sense of security, and if you're immunocompromised, they provide you little to no protection, yet allow you to o put yourself in harm's way because you think you're safer wearing them.

If you are one who is compromised you better stay home. Your state is joining us today by opening up all types of business. This is here for a while. Society is not waiting for a virus that has a death rate of .05% at best. LLL

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 01:02 PM

But that's the thing.....if I have covid19, and I'm wearing a mask with gaps on the sides of my nose so big I can stick 2 fingers in them, is that really going to stop microscopic particles from getting out and floating though the air? I can't see how it would possibly stop anything. What good does a.mask that isn't sealed to your face and have a filtration level such that a virus can't get though possibly do?

See that kind of thinking is why this crap is happening . IF YOU HAVE IT STAY HOME !!!!!!!!!
But if you have a cloth mask it will catch the particles if you sneeze or cough . That is how the germs are projected. But if you are OUTSIDE unless you kiss , lick , spit ,or sneeze directly onto someones face the UV light renders the virus ineffective in around 1-2 minutes..

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by LLtrapper
Have any of you ever had a face mask on while turkey hunting on a cold morning? Ever seen your breath through it? It cuts down some I am sure but to say it protects you is not a true statement. Like Jaymie's little example if we all have masks on it cuts down on it. The mad scientist Faucci told us masks were no good so they could stockpile them. After they had the strategic stockpile full all of a sudden the masks work for the common folks again.

Yes the surgeon uses it to protect the patient but in this case it was to protect the health care provider. Of course they knew this all along. They did not want people buying them like toilet paper before they had what they thought they needed. LLL

LL the head net you wear turkey hunting is designed so you can see thru them. Not the type of mask they are talking about. I have worn tons of different mask in the tree stand and turkey woods. plus on the lake on cold mornings. THe cloth ones NOT netting material and I NEVER see my breath unless I pull it down.

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 01:10 PM

So if the guy does not pee in the first place does anyone need to worry about getting wet?

Exactly . If you aren't sick it's ok to go out !!!

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 01:10 PM

[quote=jbyrd63]No it helps to prevent YOU from giving it to someone else if you are infected. IT WILL NOT PREVENT you from getting any illness. Look at it this way . Does the surgeon wear a mask while operating on you because he is afraid to catch something from you? No he is preventing himself from omitting any germs into your open body......

See that kind of thinking is why this crap is happening . IF YOU HAVE IT STAY HOME !!!!!!!!!
But if you have a cloth mask it will catch the particles if you sneeze or cough . That is how the germs are projected. But if you are OUTSIDE unless you kiss , lick , spit ,or sneeze directly onto someones face the UV light renders the virus ineffective in around 1-2 minutes..

Source? 1-2 minutes? I have not read that. I have read that six foot is not enough and after watching my breathe through a pretty thick face mask the other morning it traveled for at least three or four feet. LLL

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 01:12 PM

LL the head net you wear turkey hunting is designed so you can see thru them. Not the type of mask they are talking about. I have worn tons of different mask in the tree stand and turkey woods. plus on the lake on cold mornings. THe cloth ones NOT netting material and I NEVER see my breath unless I pull it down.

It must not get cold enough there then. Mine is a thick almost spandex type. I could see my breathe easily at four feet. You cannot see through this mask either. LLL
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 01:15 PM

Fact is people spit when they talk some more then others, some idiots don’t know what 6 feet looks like go Walmart and witness that. Some people are way more at risk then others that it could become life and death easily.

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 01:19 PM

Exactly . If you aren't sick it's ok to go out !!!

You probably don't need to worry about a guy over 65 peeing on you, in fact he probably needs one of those crutch boot savers that has the folding board to take the dribble away from your shoes.

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Fact is people spit when they talk some more then others, some idiots don’t know what 6 feet looks like go Walmart and witness that. Some people are way more at risk then others that it could become life and death easily.

I have actually witnessed a preacher that would spit to at least the 3rd row of pews.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by beeman
Moosetrot,

You are right in that you and your wife are not alone in this situation. My wife 68 and me 70 are in your group. Since returning from AZ the 18th of March we have been practicing stay at home practices and have only went out a few times. When we have gone out we wear masks and gloves. We do our best to try and keep from getting Covid19 . Anybody getting this disease in our age group is going to have a tough time recovering if they do recover.

What possibly can be so harmful to someone that they wouldn’t wear a mask to either keep from getting or giving Covid19? I know when I see someone with a mask on I want to thank them for caring enough to do so.

The comments some say tells me that they do not care if they get or give Covid19 to themselves or someone else. I can’t believe that
they want to give their parents or “uncle Charlie” or “Aunt Bea” this disease or take it home to their family’s.

To me it’s like opening a door for an old lady. Common courtesy. You helped someone out and what did it hurt you?

This
Posted By: Kart29

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 01:30 PM

All these masks can only delay the inevitable. The Virus is out there, and eventually it will find YOU. It's just a question of when.

It's coming for you. Are you ready?

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 01:40 PM

I wrong it is 1 1/2 minutes in direct sunlight. It only lives an hour out of the sunlight .... Don't believe all this crap about 24 -48 hours on hard surface. I know you may be tired of hearing this but bacteria and germ killing was my job for over 20 years. Sewer plant operator. Most of this crap the media is spewing is to scare people about the transfer. The numbers are high where people were breathing each other, staying cooped up inside, Traveling under ground. OR just plain nasty !!! THe death tolls are high in elderly, sick weak and FAT people.
My source is google and 2 decades handeling , breathing,and being knee deep in every kind of virus/ germ you can imagine...
This is from an article on google..

Just before President Trump's comments about UV light on Thursday, William Bryan, a science and technology advisor at the Department of Homeland Security, presented some results from a study they have conducted into whether sunlight can kill the pathogen.

They found that when the virus was suspended in the air, its half-life – the amount of time it takes to deactivate half the particles in a particular sample – in “ordinary conditions” (20% humidity and a temperature of 70-75F (21.1-23.9C)) was around an hour. When they added sunlight into the equation, that shrank to just one and a half minutes
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 01:50 PM

I think it would be interesting to survey people that has the virus and see if they were following the rules, wear a mask when around people, wash hands
do not touch your face, stay 6 feet apart, stay at home.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Foxpaw
Originally Posted by Law Dog

I have actually witnessed a preacher that would spit to at least the 3rd row of pews.

Yep you have control of what you do but zero control over others actions.

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:00 PM

I wrong it is 1 1/2 minutes in direct sunlight. It only lives an hour out of the sunlight .... Don't believe all this crap about 24 -48 hours on hard surface. I know you may be tired of hearing this but bacteria and germ killing was my job for over 20 years. Sewer plant operator. Most of this crap the media is spewing is to scare people about the transfer. The numbers are high where people were breathing each other, staying cooped up inside, Traveling under ground. OR just plain nasty !!! THe death tolls are high in elderly, sick weak and FAT people.
My source is google and 2 decades handeling , breathing,and being knee deep in every kind of virus/ germ you can imagine...

Just before President Trump's comments about UV light on Thursday, William Bryan, a science and technology advisor at the Department of Homeland Security, presented some results from a study they have conducted into whether sunlight can kill the pathogen.

They found that when the virus was suspended in the air, its half-life – the amount of time it takes to deactivate half the particles in a particular sample – in “ordinary conditions” (20% humidity and a temperature of 70-75F (21.1-23.9C)) was around an hour. When they added sunlight into the equation, that shrank to just one and a half minutes

I agree with everything except the term "kill" the virus. It is not a living organism and cannot be killed. It is destroyed by removing the fat layer that protects it. Sunlight and heat deactivate it. If it is not in direct sunlight, no one seems to know how long it is active. LLL
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:00 PM

Boy I hate to agree with an SEC fan, but I gotta go with the bird dude with the nice lawn from KY.

Are masks going to stop everything?? NO. But it does reduce the amount significantly. N95 masks really need to fitted to your face to be 100% effective.

Hobbie a lot of places will allow you to at least keep the mask pulled down a little or expose your mouth if you have an underlying asthmatic condition. They'll ask you to keep it on your face so you can pull it down quickly in case you have to cough.

Honestly you should be coughing or sneezing into your elbow or coat even without the COVID running around. I don't understand why people are suddenly obsessed with basic hygiene. Makes ya really think about those nasty people you shake hands with.
Posted By: kevtrap

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:12 PM

Even with just the cloth masks, if two people are close together, one healthy and one with covid. If the healthy person is wearing a mask they have a 70% chance of catching the virus. If the infected person is wearing a mask the healthy person has a 30% chance of catching it. If both persons are wearing a mask the chance of being infected drops down to 1 1/2 % for the healthy person contracting it.

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:15 PM

I agree with everything except the term "kill" the virus. It is not a living organism and cannot be killed. It is destroyed by removing the fat layer that protects it. Sunlight and heat deactivate it. If it is not in direct sunlight, no one seems to know how long it is active. LLL

LOL Yea I had a wrong choice of words. It renders the germ inactive so it can't reproduce !!! But if ANY species can't reproduce it is technically "DEAD"

Thanks for proving me wrong LOL !!! BUt oh wait I wasn't
Posted By: Osky

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:20 PM

" if the government would have done their job and stopped this virus before it happened" Is this a joke?
On today's earth any major city with international travel will unwittingly or otherwise spread any easily communicable virus long before anyone knows it's coming. Better get used to that. This virus like others is now shown to be here well before current documentation and could have come from any number of countries who experienced it before we did regardless. That's the new connected world we live in.
I have a question, if I get this virus and my body handles it well as in it hardly affects me, are the germs I may spread afterwords a less potent version of the virus and is this the core thought behind " herd immunity"?

Osky

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:20 PM

Actually it cannot reproduce without a living mammal cell so yea you were wrong. LLL

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:21 PM

Don't know Really LLL ? Or won't tell ? You think this bug hasn't been test 10 ways from Sunday?? They know how long it lives on, under, near, or on top of everything humans come into contact with . They know what kills it. How to kill it. The issue is how to STOP it from spreading.. How to kill it once it is INSIDE the human body .....

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:24 PM

Osky you would be a "blocker" at that point and cannot theoretically transfer or shed the virus. LLL

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:25 PM

Don't know Really LLL ? Or won't tell ? You think this bug hasn't been test 10 ways from Sunday?? They know how long it lives on, under, near, or on top of everything humans come into contact with . They know what kills it. How to kill it. The issue is how to STOP it from spreading.. How to kill it once it is INSIDE the human body .....

It is not alive. You did it again. lol, LLL

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:26 PM

Actually it cannot reproduce without a living mammal cell so yea you were wrong. LLL

LLL what type of degree you got in bacteria / virus/ germ life span. Living mammal cell. WT Heck are you talking about. NO ONE or at least me never mentioned anything about a host for the bug. I was just passing on info about how long the virus can survive "OUTSIDE a host AND outside in the sunlight.

GEEZZ stop being such a douche bag

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:31 PM

Here you go jbyrd63. All these years you thought you were standing in live viruses up to your knees. Here is what you were in. LLL

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=229387

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:33 PM

LLL what type of degree you got in bacteria / virus/ germ life span. Living mammal cell. WT Heck are you talking about. NO ONE or at least me never mentioned anything about a host for the bug. I was just passing on info about how long the virus can survive "OUTSIDE a host AND outside in the sunlight.

GEEZZ stop being suck a douche bag

My search engine works too. I was also in the Army for six years where we trained in NBC warfare. I probably know more than you think. Calling people names is no way to act during a pandemic. It however does not change what I think of you though. lol, LLL

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:35 PM

It is not alive. You did it again. lol, LLL

Is a chambered bullet not fired a live round?

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:37 PM

Hobbie careful you are using the wrong words. LOL

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:39 PM

Hobbie without a weapon the bullet is useless. Without a mammal cell it cannot reproduce. This is not an opinion. It is a fact. Without a host it is no threat at all. Kind of like a bullet with no weapon to chamber it. LLL

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:44 PM

Hobbie without a weapon the bullet is useless. Without a mammal cell it cannot reproduce. This is not an opinion. It is a fact. Without a host it is no threat at all. Kind of like a bullet with no weapon to chamber it. LLL

I challenge you to throw a box of .22s into a campfire and then come tell me they are useless without a weapon to chamber it.

Posted By: The Beav

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:56 PM

Got him on that one. LOL
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 02:58 PM

The majority of the masks I have seen being worn by the sheeple are as worthless as teats on a boar hog!

And yes, they may make the situation worse by concentrating the bad stuff on the mask that is then handled by the hands with or without gloves and then handling something else with the contaminated hands/gloves and leaving the bad stuff for someone else to pick up if they handle the same thing.

The masks being worn by the masses are just a feel good thing, totally worthless in preventing the spread of the virus.

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 03:08 PM

Hey LLL My first time mentioning what UV light does to the virus I didn't say "kill it"
I said Ineffective but for your sake should have said "INACTIVE"
wrong again ............

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 03:22 PM

sunlight

Here is some more to add to the pile of learning. The writer makes one think maybe he knows his stuff.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 03:22 PM

In a Nutshell we all have Schroedingers virus

Because we can not get tested we can not know wether we have the virus or not.
We have to act as if we have the virus, so that we don't spread it to others.
We have to act as we don't have the virus, because if we didn't have it we are not immune .
Therefore we both have and don't have the virus.

There That should clear things up.

You are welcome

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 03:23 PM

This is from an article on google..

OMG A science and technology advisor talked about "killing" the pathogen LLL you need to contact Homeland security and inform them that he is stupid!!!!

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Foxpaw
sunlight

Here is some more to add to the pile of learning. The writer makes one think maybe he knows his stuff.

Nope better not read that Fox paw. I pasted a portion of the article and they said "kill the FLU VIRUSES " LLL has proven you can't kill it because it's not alive. How dare people with TONS more education than he or I use that term !!! LOL

– Dan Arnold

To use UVC safely, you need specialist equipment and training. The World Health Organization (WHO) has issued a stern warning against people using UV light to sterilise their hands or any other part of their skin.

During the White House briefing on Thursday, the US president suggested that UV light could be brought inside the body to kill the coronavirus. It's not clear which type he meant, but given what we know about the damage UVA, UVB and UVC can do to genetic material and living tissues, this would be a bad idea – let alone impractical, since Covid-19 mostly infects the lungs.

Recently, scientists have discovered a promising new type of UVC which is less dangerous to handle, and still lethal to viruses and bacteria. Far-UVC has a shorter wavelength than regular UVC, and so far, experiments with human skin cells in the lab have shown that it doesn’t damage their DNA (more research is needed to be sure).

On the other hand, bacteria and viruses don’t come off as well, because they are small enough for the light to reach. One study found that it could prevent mouse wounds from becoming infected with the superbug MRSA, while another found that it could kill flu viruses suspended in the air.

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Getting There
I think it would be interesting to survey people that has the virus and see if they were following the rules, wear a mask when around people, wash hands
do not touch your face, stay 6 feet apart, stay at home.

that would be a very interesting survey.

I suspect that many of them if they told the truth have not been doing such a hot job of it.

others well they may have been doing as much as they can but they may have been in a compromised situation any way , this is tearing through nursing homes at an alarming rate the patients have little control over what gets brought in.

the answer was for the car givers to shelter in place with the patients very early on like March 5 but that isn't possible every where.

where my 91 year old grandmother lives in an assisted living facility 4 of the employees did do just that and they try and make those the only employees to have direct contact with residents.

I was at the hardware store Sunday to get screen to fix the screen in my kitchen window to get some air moving in the house , there was a old lady there with her oxygen tank and mask half on , buying a bird feeder and seed , I wish she had a family member who could have done that for her.

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 05:22 PM

" if the government would have done their job and stopped this virus before it happened" Is this a joke?

Try asking the 68 thousand people who died.Oh sorry we can't do that sorry they are dead!

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 05:27 PM

Well we might finally get down to what the definition of the word is, is. LOL

All my life I've heard the experts say they made vaccines out of dead virus and you build up immunity. If you use live virus you will catch it. So I'm starting to think some are talking in tongues and the rest of us just talk gibberish, lol.

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by walleye101

Who is this "they" you speak of? They can only supply masks or checks using our money. And they don't have any magic to stop a virus before it happens. Sure, "they" could have involked marshal law, mandatory quarintine for everyone everywhere to try to stop this thing, but only if we let them, because they are us.

Who is this "they" you speak of?
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 05:37 PM

Who is this "they" you speak of?

Us. Like it or not the government are the people we have elected to represent us. The government has no special powers to stop viruses. Nor do they have any of their own money to hand out free stuff.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 06:00 PM

I keep thinking, this would be a good time to be a robber.

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 06:01 PM

I think what They are saying about the Government is , we should have Secure boarders from all manner of threat including Viral

we quarantine animals entering the country and have a vet check them out. they must stay in a facility for a given number of days on entry to the country

had there been good info early on about the spread and nastiness of this particular virus and had the elected leaders closed our boarders early and implemented quarantine of those entering the country a month or more sooner it wouldn't have the impact it is having domestically.

this has been what saved us from so many nasty hemorrhagic Flues in the past.

we got too loose and fast with our boarder security , Is I believe what is being said and it is something that needs to be taken very seriously in the future.

just because you can be around the world and back in 48 hours doesn't mean we should all do it.

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 06:09 PM

jbyrd63 is your real name Hal by chance? LLL
Posted By: hippie

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 06:16 PM

It must not get cold enough there then. Mine is a thick almost spandex type. I could see my breathe easily at four feet. You cannot see through this mask either. LLL

Most all the masks you see people wearing do very, very little.

Easy test.....light and hold a match an inch or two in front of it and if you can blow the match out, it ain't worth much.

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 06:43 PM

Posted By: hippie

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 07:07 PM

Lol, brings back some memories!

Anyone remember taking a hammer to a roll of caps for your toy guns?

Well we went a step further and would smack 22shells with a hammer. Lol
All fun until the neighbor fella got a chunk of brass in his gut. We weren't allowed to do that anymore.

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Lol, brings back some memories!

Anyone remember taking a hammer to a roll of caps for your toy guns?

Well we went a step further and would smack 22shells with a hammer. Lol
All fun until the neighbor fella got a chunk of brass in his gut. We weren't allowed to do that anymore.

I was just getting ready to ask for a show of hands of who would like to sit around a campfire and dodge hot brass. lol

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 07:16 PM

I’m also curious now whether or not your skin is tougher than cardboard. Somebody put their arm against a cardboard box and drop a stick match between the box and your arm and report which suffered more damage.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 07:19 PM

i have to say i was at wal mart the other day and feel everyone havin on a mask was a good thing for ambiance.now if we could just outlaw stretchy material.

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 07:25 PM

Hit a railroad torpedo with a sledge hammer.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 09:37 PM

Some people are wearing masks. Some aren't. I don't care either way. But I do get a kick out of the way they suddenly went from ineffective to life saving for no apparent reason.

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
I keep thinking, this would be a good time to be a robber.

LOL not in my part of the woods TOO many people at home . Get you hinney shot off....

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by elkaholic
Boy I hate to agree with an SEC fan, but I gotta go with the bird dude with the nice lawn from KY.

Are masks going to stop everything?? NO. But it does reduce the amount significantly. N95 masks really need to fitted to your face to be 100% effective.

Hobbie a lot of places will allow you to at least keep the mask pulled down a little or expose your mouth if you have an underlying asthmatic condition. They'll ask you to keep it on your face so you can pull it down quickly in case you have to cough.

Honestly you should be coughing or sneezing into your elbow or coat even without the COVID running around. I don't understand why people are suddenly obsessed with basic hygiene. Makes ya really think about those nasty people you shake hands with.

Hey got a question . People sneeze into their elbow but NEVER wash their elbow. If you sneeze into your hand like I was told when growing up you then wash your hands and the germs are gone !!! Which is better ?????

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 10:25 PM

Hey let everyone wear Trump 20/20 mask and watch hey fast they are not needed anymore LOL

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/04/20 10:27 PM

You sneeze into your elbow because it’s awkward to wipe the inside of your elbow on something but that’s exactly where the police grab you when directing you where to stand.

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/05/20 12:57 AM

you get the best dispersal if you tip your head back as far as it will go and sneeze straight up.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/05/20 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
you get the best dispersal if you tip your head back as far as it will go and sneeze straight up.

grin
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/05/20 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton

The wastefulness displayed in this video sickens me more than the virus. sick

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/05/20 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by elkaholic

Hey got a question . People sneeze into their elbow but NEVER wash their elbow. If you sneeze into your hand like I was told when growing up you then wash your hands and the germs are gone !!! Which is better ?????

I generally wear hoodies or long sleeved T-shirts so a slimey elbow isn't much of an issue.

Re: Help me understand this mask thing - 05/05/20 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper

I was just getting ready to ask for a show of hands of who would like to sit around a campfire and dodge hot brass. lol

Not me. I once blew on an ember and watched that thing pop, the fly through the air and right down the from of my sweat shirt. 35 years later I still have the scar from where I beat myself half to death trying to get it out, or put it out.

I'm also left handed, so shooting the M-16, even with the brass deflector on, was a fun experience on just how long you can have hot brass rolling around in your sleeve. Learned real quick to carry an extra boot blouser with you to seal the end a little better.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums