Home

Gas camp stoves?

Posted By: TurkeyTime

Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 03:07 AM

Hello. Does anyone have any recommendations for a new camp stove? I know they aren't built like they used to be but I need one. Thank you for your time.
Posted By: white17

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 03:14 AM

I got a cast iron , propane fired cook top from...................Cabela's I think. Very good !
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 03:25 AM

I have a camp chief 2 burner and a 3 burner a Coleman 2 burner and a 1 burner with grill side and a single burner with interchangeable tops. Forgot the 2 burner with oven

All depends on what you are doing and how many people
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 03:28 AM

I scored an older Coleman at a garage sale. They say to be leery of the new ones but this old turd can cook!
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 03:31 AM

[Linked Image]

Elk camp
Oven with 2 burners coffe warmer lol 3 burner with griddle for cooking

Craigslist finds 125 total cost for both
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 03:37 AM

I really like those cook tops. But I bet if you hit some garage sales after this covid bs you’ll score an old camp stove.
Posted By: gdccowboy

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 09:51 AM

Camp chef 2 burner from cabelas works great for me
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 11:31 AM

Propane for sure. The white gas is expensive, stinky, and an explosive.
Posted By: Ronaround

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 11:58 AM

i have 15 lanterns of various quality and 6 cook stoves all Coleman 2-3 burners with either white gas mainly and some with gas or white gas. get yourself an older 3 burner Coleman at a flea market or garage sale this year maybe two, you should be able at least last year to maybe no more that 10-15 bucks. there worth there weight n gold when a person needs one.
i believe that wally world also sells a cheaper white gas there besides Coleman quality to stock up,too
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 12:14 PM

All my old Coleman lanterns as well as two and three burner pump style Coleman stoves burn regular gas just fine as have since the 80’s. I would recomend a new or old Coleman stove. I love not having to mess with packing another fuel source.

I never use ethanol in them and run a little Starbrite enzime fuel treatment b4 I put them away for long time.

It was the old leaded gas that would plug these stoves and lanterns. New gas burns fine with no smoke or smell.

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 12:44 PM

I like gas better than electric for canning and frying fish. I want to upgrade to a propane stove top with electric oven, but till then:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 12:47 PM

The old Colemans are hard to beat.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Wylee
I really like those cook tops. But I bet if you hit some garage sales after this covid bs you’ll score an old camp stove.

I bet people are thinking about keeping them. After this covid many may loose their house and need them?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 04:36 PM

Lumberjack, maybe the smart ones will hold on to usable stuff....but look around, I don’t see a lot of “smart” folks on the daily. Just throwing that out there.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 04:51 PM

Fair number of those green stoves for sale around me in the $20-30 range.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyTime
Hello. Does anyone have any recommendations for a new camp stove? I know they aren't built like they used to be but I need one. Thank you for your time.

camp stove means a lot of different things to different people
I have one that runs on top of a single 1 pound canister of LP
I have one that has 2 burners and can run off the one pound cans or 20# cyclinder
I have a free standing 30K and 60K btu that needs a 20# cyclinder but can fry a turkey or boil 30 quarts of water for a fish boil in a hurry

free standing or more packable ?

number of burners needed ?

what you will be cooking ?

amount of heat needed?

preferred fuel?

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 05:29 PM

Just picked up a Coleman 413G at one of the last auctions I went to for...…..$.2.00. I couldn't believe no one bid it up. My power went out the other night and I had to fire it and my lantern up-both worked fine. My concern was the price of fuel, 13.00 for a gallon of coleman, 8.00 for a gallon of off brand.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 05:32 PM

I have a propane Coleman and wouldn't do without one!

I got it to replace a 1930's model Coleman "gypsy" model which I still use around home. The propane ones travel better imo.

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Wylee
Lumberjack, maybe the smart ones will hold on to usable stuff....but look around, I don’t see a lot of “smart” folks on the daily. Just throwing that out there.

True, Im keeping mine (doesn't make me smart). They don't get much for resale so why not, they don't take up much room and are worth their weight in gold if needed. When I fired up my lantern during the last power outage I shook it and didn't notice any fuel much at all in the tank. I didn't have any fuel so lit it and it stayed lit for 8 hours- I was impressed with the fuel economy.
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 05:38 PM

I was looking at the 2 burner, fold up type that everyone has. Fuel doesn't matter but I was thinking about propane. Thanks.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 06:33 PM

I like my old Coleman I found at a rummage sale for $10.

It runs best with white gas but I use gasoline regularly, just have to clean it more often. A .22 cleanig kit works well. If I find white gas in sale I'll buy it.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 06:36 PM

Amish here will sell us white gas cheaper than anywhere else.
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 09:56 PM

I grab onto every old Coleman stove I find for what I call a reasonable price. I bought my first one used from a friend of mine and after using it I loved it! I now own 5 or 6 of them with 2 burners and 3. Most I paid for any of them was $20 and that was the first one. The last one I bought at a garage sale was still in its cardboard box and hadn't even been ran long enough to discolor the grill, paid a whopping $5 for it.

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River
I like my old Coleman I found at a rummage sale for $10.

It runs best with white gas but I use gasoline regularly, just have to clean it more often. A .22 cleanig kit works well. If I find white gas in sale I'll buy it.

I have run gallons and gallons of 91 octane regular gasoline with no ethanol through both my lanterns and stoves for years and have never had to clean them. Maybe Ive just gotten lucky. One time in Canada I actually had to run 50:1 through a stove to finish frying fish while remote camping, had a yellower flame and you could smell the oil but it burned no problem. Bucking the wind on the way home the 1954 3hp ran out of gas first, then the '74 2hp started spitting, the boy dug out the stove tank and I emptied the 50:1 into the 2hp on the fly. lol Good times.

Like I said in earlier post, I do mix Starbrite enzyme treatment in the gas b4 I put them away for long a time.
Posted By: coalminer

Re: Gas camp stoves? - 04/10/20 11:58 PM

I am kinda of a “Stovie” , I love the 413 series,have bought n sold probably 60 over last couple years. Recently sold a bunch of lanterns n stoves off. I bought the propane adapter to replace the red white gas tanks n went to small bottles or big tanks with hoses for bigger jobs. Really makes the stoves much more versatile. Still like to make bacon, eggs, n taters in cast iron n old red gas tanks.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums