Home

Need opinion on boat motor

Posted By: Cougarw

Need opinion on boat motor - 04/03/20 12:36 PM

Ok guys, I'm thinking I really need to buy one of those short shaft beavertail for my job boat. I know nothing about them. Can anyone with experience tell me what to look for and what to stay away from. And possibly where to get one.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Need opinion on boat motor - 04/03/20 12:57 PM

I have a Go-Devil 35 hp surface drive. Set it up on an Alweld 1752 jon. Prior to this I ran a 20 hp Go-Devil longtail on an Alumacraft 1542 jon.
Regarding the surface drives, Go-Devil units do not offer a reverse, which typically run about $2k more on other brands of motors that do offer reverse. I'm perfectly fine with oars, always have been. To each their own I reckon. I really like my motor, get some stares and occasional questions at gas stations and boat landings.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Need opinion on boat motor - 04/03/20 12:59 PM

Thought I'd check in with Go-Devil after my post and sure enough, they now offer reverse on select motor units.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Need opinion on boat motor - 04/03/20 01:44 PM

I live on the river and have had about every type of long tail made over the last 20+ years. I have settled on the SPS Swamp runner. Not sure where your at in NE but Fungi on Tman is a dealer for them and lives in Arlington. He can help you match HP and model to your boat. He sells kits and complete motors.

Re: Need opinion on boat motor - 04/03/20 03:35 PM

Thanks, I will try and look him up.

Re: Need opinion on boat motor - 04/03/20 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Trapset
I live on the river and have had about every type of long tail made over the last 20+ years. I have settled on the SPS Swamp runner. Not sure where your at in NE but Fungi on Tman is a dealer for them and lives in Arlington. He can help you match HP and model to your boat. He sells kits and complete motors.

Do you happen to know the name of his business, I can’t find anything on dealers in Arlington. Thanks

Re: Need opinion on boat motor - 04/04/20 01:39 AM

Took a bit, but I got ahold of him. Just what I'm looking for. Thanks.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Need opinion on boat motor - 04/04/20 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cougarw
Took a bit, but I got ahold of him. Just what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Oh shoot! I thought you were the one who PM'd me and I gave the info to. It was another member that read the post, I assumed it was you and never checked the user name. Sorry to leave ya hanging!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums