Home

Surf rod and reel?

Posted By: cotton

Surf rod and reel? - 02/18/20 07:18 PM

lookin for a poor boy set up to go maybe 2 or 3 times a year and surf fish??
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Surf rod and reel? - 02/18/20 07:33 PM

any walmart in beach country will have what your after.

If you clean and lube it after every trip it will last a longer than you would have guessed.

Re: Surf rod and reel? - 02/18/20 09:15 PM

thanks marty
Posted By: flash

Re: Surf rod and reel? - 02/18/20 11:48 PM

get ahold of buzz. he`ll know!
Posted By: VH60

Re: Surf rod and reel? - 02/19/20 01:01 AM

cotton , whatever reel you decide on do NOT dunk it in the saltwater or drop it in the sand . Keep as much salt water off of it as you can and clean it thoroughly after every use . If you dunk an unsealed reel in the saltwater and don't take it apart , clean and lube it it will seize up very fast .
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Surf rod and reel? - 02/19/20 02:03 AM

x2 on Martys, sounds like you need a Shakespeare or equivalent spinning reel with at least a 7 ft or better rod, 20 lb line, some double drop bottom rigs with pyramid sinkers, shrimp or bloodworms and hold on lol. Also, 1 1/2 or 2 in pvc works good for rod holders stabbed in the sand. Good luck. As VH 60 sez, wash it off with a hose after saltwater use to keep it working
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Surf rod and reel? - 02/19/20 02:10 AM

I got a Daiwa Sea Line X rod and Daiwa Laguna spinning reel.

not super expensive, but not throw away, either.

you get what you pay for...
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Surf rod and reel? - 02/19/20 02:45 AM

You can find a decent penn surf rod and reel combo for around $100 and should last many years.

Re: Surf rod and reel? - 02/19/20 03:04 AM

thanks guys
still got some of dad's saltwater tackle here but i reckon he had traded off his surf rods years ago.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Surf rod and reel? - 02/19/20 03:34 AM

not knowing any better I just brought my fresh water gear with and hit a local bait shop for bait and a little tackle.

I had fun fish were caught. just washed my stuff down with a little fresh water when done.

I should add I also didn't know people didn't canoe on the Atlantic but that didn't stop me either had a great time with the dolphins , caught a few more fish , had fun in the waves and got to see coastal SC from a different view.

but what Marty said about the rods being very available at any store near the coast

the real shame was on my last day there I met a guy on the fishing pier who had a collection of crab traps but he said the water was too cold for his usual walk out to chest deep and set them at low tide and check them at the next low tide. I would have set and checked them the water wasn't cold to me and I could have done it form the canoe and split the crab I like to try local food when I am traveling. better yet when it is catch and cook.

my kids were swimming as locals walked the beach dressed like it was going to snow. it was 64 and sunny water temp was 80 it felt great having come from 35 and rain at home.
Posted By: cmj

Re: Surf rod and reel? - 02/19/20 12:39 PM

I just use a cheap combo from bass pro, I don't want anything expensive incase it goes swimming. I think its an 8 ft rod, I just walk out if I want to cast farther. Last year I used fish bites, fake blood worms. THey don't go bad and were 2 years old and still caught fish. Just cut in 1/4 inch chunks.
Posted By: Jim T.

Re: Surf rod and reel? - 02/19/20 02:02 PM

I have a Penn 550 & 450 both reel hard. I like to keep things clean, I run them under fresh water when done fishing for the day.
I grease them when I get home. Fish about one week a year in the keys. Yes they get wet when fishing from a kayak under bridges but these were saltwater reels. I do however love the ulgy stick rods.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums