Home

Trapping weekend warrior seeking advice!

Posted By: Muskydan

Trapping weekend warrior seeking advice! - 01/31/20 03:41 PM

Next year for the deer opener in Northern Michigan my nephew and I are going to put up a rustic tent we’re building and attempt to mountain man it for a couple of days. The piece of federal ground we’re staying on has a large beaver pond on it, I am certain there is coyotes and ermine. My plan is to set traps, hunt deer, rabbits and grouse, and introduce my nephew to a way of life his grand and great grand father enjoyed.

My plan is to take about 6 330’s, 10 weasel boxes, I would also like to make a couple coyote sets and a couple drowning sets for the beavers but I’m not sure on what traps to use?

My trapping has just consisted of ditches and agricultural stuff I have never done any big woods trapping. I am certain that the beavers won’t present to much of a challenge but the yotes and weasels could and I am interested in thoughts you may have.

Thanks,
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Trapping weekend warrior seeking advice! - 01/31/20 03:45 PM

Sounds like fun.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Trapping weekend warrior seeking advice! - 01/31/20 04:03 PM

I always trapped weasels in the tag elder swamps they are common in many places up there, the yotes/fox travel the roads and meadow edges.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Trapping weekend warrior seeking advice! - 01/31/20 05:58 PM

Depending on how "mountain man" you want to get, you may want to consider using double longspring footholds instead of conibears.

Re: Trapping weekend warrior seeking advice! - 01/31/20 06:12 PM

What size?
Posted By: Kart29

Re: Trapping weekend warrior seeking advice! - 01/31/20 06:20 PM

An MB750 work great for me on a drowner wire for beaver. I've also had pretty good luck with a Duke #4 coil spring although it's a bit on the small side.

I also have some Bridger #3 offset traps that I use for a dual purpose coyote beaver trap. I think they are a little big for a coyote trap and a little small for a beaver trap. But my trap inventory is small and I need my traps to serve in multi-purpose roles sometimes.

Hope you have a blast. I love northern Michigan and would love to hunt/trap there.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Trapping weekend warrior seeking advice! - 01/31/20 06:25 PM

Is federal land open to trapping? You may consider finding some ranger type and asking. I know the Mississippi River corridor is federal and trapping is acceptable but, you never know...

Re: Trapping weekend warrior seeking advice! - 01/31/20 06:27 PM

Yes it is, but thank you
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Trapping weekend warrior seeking advice! - 01/31/20 06:40 PM

old victor #4 longsprings work good for beaver and coyotes. you dont want offset if they will be double duty
© 2024 Trapperman Forums