Home

Pellet Grills / Smokers - Traeger vs Pit Boss

Posted By: Deerhunter51

Pellet Grills / Smokers - Traeger vs Pit Boss - 12/29/19 12:44 AM

Looking for some feedback, especially if any of you have been running one of these for over a year. The reviews for both makes are pretty similar, everybody seems to love them but the reviews are done right after they are bought. I was initially going to get a Traeger but Lowes here has the Pit Boss 456 on sale for $189 which seems like a pretty good deal. I don't need a big one, usually only cook for 2-3. Warranties look to be pretty similar, etc. Traeger seems to edge out the Pit Boss models in some areas but the Pit Boss definitely has a better price tag. Anybody have some history with these, pro's & cons, etc.?
Posted By: MJM

Re: Pellet Grills / Smokers - Traeger vs Pit Boss - 12/29/19 01:29 AM

I have a Z grill and it was way cheaper then the Traeger. I have had it for two years and use it quite a bit. I think they are all pretty much the same. I would get a pit boss for the difference in price. You could get two for the price of a Traeger.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Pellet Grills / Smokers - Traeger vs Pit Boss - 12/29/19 01:53 AM

I have both , they are both less than 2 years old.

The pittboss I bought after the treager and it's a smaller version . The legs fold up and sits on the tailgate. I use it for camping / hunting .

The pittboss was 289 at chinamart and I was hesitant .
The same size treager was 440

I went with the pittboss and have been very happy.
It even has more temp range and a thermometer in the hood.
Posted By: RKH

Re: Pellet Grills / Smokers - Traeger vs Pit Boss - 12/29/19 02:02 AM

Ive got a louisiana grill they also make pitboss grills ..bought it used and have had it for 2 years ...love it ...will get hotter than a treager and i can sear a steak on open flame as it has a slide out like the pitboss ..you could give me a treager but id trade it on another louisiana grill the day after
Posted By: daveharmon

Re: Pellet Grills / Smokers - Traeger vs Pit Boss - 12/29/19 12:28 PM

I have a Pitboss 456 and a Pitboss 820and couldn't be happier.They both run great.I can do 3 racks of ribs on the 456.The 456 is actually big enough for everything i need.The only drawback on the 456 is the size of the pellet hopper.
Posted By: pappy t

Re: Pellet Grills / Smokers - Traeger vs Pit Boss - 12/29/19 01:18 PM

No experience with Pit Boss but I've had a Traeger for about 4 years and love it.
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Pellet Grills / Smokers - Traeger vs Pit Boss - 12/29/19 03:10 PM

I have a pit boss copperhead 5 vertical smoker and a green mountain Daniel Boone grill. I have had the grill for 4 years and it's been a good one, a straight line wind rolled it across my back porch and bent it up some but still works. The pit boss it have had for about 6 months and it has been a nice smoker. I have did all kinds of stuff with it. I haven't used a treger but heard that the guy who makes green mountain used to work for traeger. So I bet they are close to the same grill.
Posted By: trapper234

Re: Pellet Grills / Smokers - Traeger vs Pit Boss - 12/29/19 04:11 PM

I LOVE my Traeger and use it a lot for 8 yrs now.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Pellet Grills / Smokers - Traeger vs Pit Boss - 12/30/19 04:18 AM

I bought a texas traeger 3 years ago . My brotherin law bought a pit boss last year if i had it to do over again i would buy a pitboss traegers are great for pork , chicken ,brisket, turkey any thing you cook under 400 degrees .they do not get hot enough for a good beefsteak .
They have updated the traegers in a new line .they get hotter they are insulated and have alot of tech but they are stupid expensive and still no open flame searing . I like the drip tray better on the pitboss better .

Re: Pellet Grills / Smokers - Traeger vs Pit Boss - 12/30/19 02:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback fellas, I appreciate it.

Re: Pellet Grills / Smokers - Traeger vs Pit Boss - 01/12/20 11:51 PM

Ended up getting the Pit Boss and tried it out today for game day dinner - bacon wrapped stuffed venison backstrap. Turned out pretty good and I appreciate everyone’s input earlier. Experimented with an extra smoker box but didn’t need it, it cranked out plenty smoke on its own.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Pellet Grills / Smokers - Traeger vs Pit Boss - 01/13/20 02:36 AM

If you like chicken or turkey try spatchcococking one
Posted By: MJM

Re: Pellet Grills / Smokers - Traeger vs Pit Boss - 01/13/20 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bigfoot
If you like chicken or turkey try spatchcococking one

???? What is spatchcococking????
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Pellet Grills / Smokers - Traeger vs Pit Boss - 01/13/20 04:00 AM

Cut the back bone out and break the breast bone so it lays flat on the grill

Re: Pellet Grills / Smokers - Traeger vs Pit Boss - 01/13/20 04:09 AM

There is lots on youtube about cooking a spatchcoc turkey. You cut out the back bone turn the bird breast up and press down until the breast bone breaks and it lays flat . You can cook a twenty pound bird to perfection in three hours
© 2024 Trapperman Forums