Home

eating possum

Posted By: bodycount

eating possum - 12/19/19 08:44 PM

Anyone besides me like baked possum and sweet tators?
Posted By: pcr2

Re: eating possum - 12/19/19 08:48 PM

can't imagine there is but never know.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: eating possum - 12/19/19 08:57 PM

I've tried it. It was terrible.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: eating possum - 12/19/19 09:02 PM

Possum is the only animal which smells like roadkill before it is run over.

Re: eating possum - 12/19/19 10:19 PM

I saw Eustice eat a roadkill possum on Mountain Man. He was so happy as he roasted it on a open fire. I guess you could say he had a big ole possum grin.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: eating possum - 12/19/19 10:50 PM

This right here is why I registered with this site.....

Anytime people say I'm different, I'm off, I do or eat weird things.....I just find a thread here that reminds me there are people a whole lot weirder than myself.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: eating possum - 12/19/19 10:53 PM

lol pike river
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: eating possum - 12/19/19 11:10 PM

The best eating is Himalayan possum. Cooked one after I found him alayin on the highway.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: eating possum - 12/19/19 11:16 PM

I like prime rib and mashed potatoes,,,is that close?
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: eating possum - 12/19/19 11:26 PM

When it comes to eating possum I will never get that thought into a positive.
Not picking on you , but even the visual thought is rough on me.

Survival only list.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: eating possum - 12/19/19 11:45 PM

Granny was always cooking possum for Jed and Jethro. They seemed to like it.

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 12:07 AM

Not unless it goes moooo.
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 12:11 AM

Just be sure to save the butt hole so you have something to wipe your tongue with to try to get the taste out of your mouth.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 12:14 AM

A young properly cleaned and handled possum is good eating. Is there better less time
Consuming meat to eat yes but it’s not bad meat
Posted By: squacks

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 12:56 AM

I have given them to folks who asked for them over the years.
They usually parboil them with onions and seasonings. This removes the fat. Then they bake them.
I have never eaten one. I don't want to. There are many other things that I can acquire on my own that I actually like to eat.
But I would not say I would never eat one. After a few days on NOTHING, I am sure it would taste exactly like filet......maybe..

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 01:08 AM

Can't go wrong with pierogis....

Posted By: KeithC

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by bleeohio

I have heard from several reliable sources that an opossum will eat its way into a dead cow and make the cow's stomach move and noises come out of them.

Keith

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Originally Posted by bleeohio

I have heard from several reliable sources that an opossum will eat its way into a dead cow and make the cow's stomach move and noises come out of them.

Keith

I think I'd eat the dead cow first. eek
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 01:52 AM

No reason ...Gross
Posted By: jk

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 01:58 AM

Why i should stay on the strictly trapping section only.......jk
Posted By: Taximan

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 02:09 AM

I hate sweet potatos!
Posted By: trapper234

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
Possum is the only animal which smells like roadkill before it is run over.

LOL but true. I would only eat one if I was starving.
Posted By: trapper234

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 02:22 AM

If that was all I had to eat for a year I can finally lose some weight.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 02:37 AM

I have heard that too but Ive never seen it. Have to ask though why its bad if a possum does it but ball park franks are in every grocery store?
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 03:52 AM

My dad used to tell about in the depression days in a hard cold winter getting 3 possums out of a dead horse. Don't remember for sure but think he said he got 50 cents a piece.

For roadkill possum, just use the same recipe as for regular possum, it just takes more possums adjusted according to damage.
Posted By: doublesettrigger

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 04:05 AM

Yes Sir, possum and cornbread with fried taters or sweet taters is really good.

Rickey
Posted By: Hoosier71

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 04:35 AM

I'll try anything once. But there is no way I could butcher a possum, cook it and eat it. The only thing I would be able to smell is the pre-cooked possum. But if someone I trusted served it up I would fill my plate.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 04:55 AM

During the depression my maternal grandmother gifted a platter of fried chicken and potatoes and colard greens to a family from Arkansas that were having a tough streak. A few days later the lady showed up with the platter full of fried coon and possum saying her husband had a good hunt the night before. Grandmother sat the plate on the table as they stood there talking. My granddad came in from the back yard and as he walked by he snagged a piece off the plate. Something stopped him before he put it in his mouth, after he smelled it he pitched it to his dog. The dog caught it and immediately dropped it, smelled it, looked up at granddad and whined wagged his tail and left the room. As told to me by my grandmother about 55 years ago after I caught one and asked her if we could eat it.
They are definitely on the survival only list along with buzzards and any other carrion eaters.
And I have personally seen them in the body cavity of week old dead cows that were stinking pretty bad.
They say you are what you eat and they will eat some really nasty things.
Posted By: wzroberts

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 05:01 AM

A few of us have eaten possum.

Far fewer are willing to talk about it.

It's on the "survival only" list for me. And that's a short list!
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 05:44 AM

For those you have eaten grinner, what does it taste like...?

I broiled coyote loin one time and it was...nasty. Maybe we shouldn't have pushed it over about 4 miles after a non-lethal hit before we got it. I've also eaten a piece of a ditch tiger (long, long ago) that was parted out by my friend's .243. Pretty disgusting as well.

P.S. a turkey buzzard smell worse than a possum. You can small them...at distance.

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 06:11 AM

I was going shopping 4 or 5 yrs ago and took a short cut thru the country. There was a lone buzzard sitting in a tree hanging over the road. I guess I startled him. He swooped down and was flying right at my windshield then raised up and puked all over my windshield and the top of the truck and all over my 3 coolers in the back of the truck. I had to turn around and go back 3 mi to home and it took me all of two hrs with water and bleach to get it cleaned up. I have smelled some pretty bad concoctions in my day but nothing like that. Now when I see them buzzards anywhere I try not to scare them.
Posted By: carlswildlife

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 06:37 AM

I've done three things in my life twice that I do not plan on doing a third time:

1. Eat chitterlings
2. Fall off a roof
3. Eat opossum

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 09:53 AM

I tried coyote once. taste as bad as it smells. Possum and muskrat meat both smell bad to me when raw so haven't tried either. I don't care for bobcat goose or duck.

Rabbit ,squirrel ,quail ,pheasant ,turkey ,bull frogs ,flat heads ,channels ,bull heads ,walleye ,crappie ,crawdads ,deer ,elk ,moose ,cows ,hogs, and chickens are a pretty good variety of edible animals in my little world.
Posted By: Fishdog One

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 10:48 AM

When I was first married about 40 years ago I began selling coon carcasses to a fella from Milwaukee who grew up in Mississippi. He asked for a possum for his sister, told him the next time he came out I would have one gutted for her, told me I didn't need to skin it. When the two of them came I was gone and my wife had them loading up from the freezer in the garage. Wife asked Bessie how she planned to cook the possum, she said "Throw it on the grill whole, fur on, and when it was done the skin cracked off, the fat would be bubbling, and it was going to be soooo good. We are having possum for thanksgiving and coon for Christmas." I am sure my wife had to suppress a look of disgust, she had a hard time eating anything not from a store, a little better about it after 43 years with me. I must say Steve Rinella in his first book ate what looked to be a possum in Vietnam cooked up the same way if my memory is correct.
Posted By: Wallace

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 01:05 PM

I'm always suprised by how many sissies are on this forum lol.
I think parboiled opossum baked with sweet taters and onions is very good.
I'll take it over anything offered at most fast food establishments.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 01:14 PM

I tried coyote once. taste as bad as it smells. Possum and muskrat meat both smell bad to me when raw so haven't tried either. I don't care for bobcat goose or duck.

Danny- Then you wouldn't like muskrat if you didn't like duck. I think mrat tastes about the same as your typical puddle duck. I could chunk it up and put it in a typical wild duck (not the grain fed ducks) recipe and most people probably wouldn't know the the difference.

Wallace- If I catch a nice mid-winter grinner this season. I'll try your recipe. I think anything that's out in the cold and snow has lost most of the external warm season vermin that inhabitant them.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 01:21 PM

Watch a carcass pile ...only the Bugs eat the possums
Posted By: Getting There

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 01:28 PM

It has to be better than the new Burger King Hamburger! LOL
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 02:12 PM

Grandma grew up rural poor, lived through the depression, and eventually went to college. Her first apartment there she had some room mates from the college town and they all shared the bills. One day on the way home Gma found a grinner curled up on the porch of the apartment or whatever. Knocked it over the head and had it in a pot boiling when everyone else came home. She didn't know any different and they couldn't believe it and went on and on about it. She was really super embarrassed about it.

That story reminds me of my squirrel hunt I posted about. I also posted on FB about it. I didn't know I knew so many people that never heard of eating squirrel and viewed me kind of the same way. People from work never heard of such a thing and half thought I was lying to them before I showed them the pictures.

I wouldn't go out and get a grinner and try to make it. If I was invited over to supper and they normally ate it and offered me some I'd try it. When in Rome.

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 02:57 PM

We will all be dead in 12 yrs because of climate change according to some politicians. When end of time gets closer I will crawl around and eat anything that will fill my belly.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 04:09 PM

had friends in va as a kid who ate them...i think i may have eaten it....not sure
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by west river rogue
had friends in va as a kid who ate them...i think i may have eaten it....not sure

I will wait till the SHTF for all the possum and coon eatin.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

Cmon T cry,u could use them for meatballs in the gravy...
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

I’m with upstate on this one!
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 04:44 PM

I guess I usually fall into the "don't knock it until you've tried it" clique. But I always noticed that nothing would eat the possum carcasses in the multi species carcass piles that I left out in the woods. Silly predators probably didn't know how to properly parboil the suckers.

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 06:11 PM

Here lately I have the urge to upchuck. Not enough taters with possum gravy. Some muskrat stew might help. I need help.

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by bodycount
Here lately I have the urge to upchuck. Not enough taters with possum gravy. Some muskrat stew might help. I need help.

A couple of raw buzzard eggs would settle your stomach right down, but there not available right now.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: eating possum - 12/20/19 07:30 PM

My Dad was quite fond of possum and Mom was certainly not afraid to cook it and put it on the table. These were not road kill possums though and not ones shot hunting. They ware caught live, put in a cage and fed for 2 or 3 weeks before they were killed and cleaned. I have chased down a few to put in the cage and one ate what was put on the table. I would not call it a favorite but it did not make me sick either.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: eating possum - 12/21/19 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly
My Dad was quite fond of possum and Mom was certainly not afraid to cook it and put it on the table. These were not road kill possums though and not ones shot hunting. They ware caught live, put in a cage and fed for 2 or 3 weeks before they were killed and cleaned. I have chased down a few to put in the cage and one ate what was put on the table. I would not call it a favorite but it did not make me sick either.

He goes by "QuietButDeadly"
That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: eating possum - 12/21/19 05:16 AM

My grandmother loved possum, they would catch them and put them up for two weeks and feed them buttermilk and she thought they were divine. My dad says he never really cared for it but ate it several times growing up. But I don't know if I could stomach it, once I was coon hunting and my dogs trees and it sounded like they were in a hole. When I got there they were barking at an old rotten goat, I pulled them back from it and turned around and a possum stuck it's head out of the rotten goats arse. Kinda did me in for eating them

Re: eating possum - 12/21/19 02:26 PM

Re: eating possum - 12/21/19 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly

When I was a kid and caught a possum in a rabbit gum, a feller across the street from us would want them and do exactly the same as you mentioned. Feed em' out like a steer.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: eating possum - 12/21/19 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton

Interesting that that thing eats like a champ but still doesn't seem very well furred.
Posted By: iaduckhntr

Re: eating possum - 12/21/19 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton

A far cry from eating it's way in to a dead cow and living inside till it's all eaten up!
Dennis
© 2024 Trapperman Forums