Home

Cage trap coyote?

Posted By: MAArcher

Cage trap coyote? - 12/15/19 04:47 AM

Anyone ever cage trap a coyote? I’ve read it’s really hard to do. What about making a big pen trap like they do for hogs? I saw the biggest coyote I’ve ever seen today and it was blond. I’ll go back to try and call him but I’d like to get a trap out and I’m Massachusetts you can only use cage traps.
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/15/19 05:01 AM

Its not impossible, however, its very rare.
Posted By: wzroberts

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/15/19 05:07 AM

It would be one heck of a challenge. Ideally, you'd be able to start planning and getting some things in place months in advance.

What restrictions do you have on baiting the trap?
Posted By: VaBeagler

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/15/19 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by cat daddy
Its not impossible, however, its very rare.

This
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/15/19 07:17 AM

I've had a large cage trap sitting in the same spot for 3 years with a camera on it. I never move it and I wire the doors open when I'm not actively trapping. Coyotes visit it often but have always worked around the outside and acted jumpy and paranoid. Two months ago I had one actually commit and enter the cage but the doors were wired open.
Posted By: Creek

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/15/19 12:28 PM

I actually caught one in a live trap this year that was not mangy. It was a young coyote.
Posted By: oldtrapper

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/15/19 02:33 PM

No respectable coyote will go in a cagetrap...
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/15/19 02:42 PM

My buddy Yancy used to get it done!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ScottPhillips

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/15/19 02:45 PM

The bigger the trap the better, they have to get into the trap far enough that they don't block the door when it closes and back out, I caught 5 in two years in Colorado. Not the best way to catch coyotes but it can be done. Be patient. Scott
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/15/19 02:53 PM

Caught 3 In cages 2 in the same season it would be a tough way to make a living.
Posted By: oldtrapper

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/15/19 02:55 PM

It can happen...
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/15/19 03:04 PM

I've never heard Anyone Say they caught an Adult coyote in a cage.

The Demo I saw at an NTA event with a Man using his dog to mark outside the cage....then inside the cage over several days was a great method. But even he told me it was Time consuming.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/15/19 03:22 PM

This was an adult healthy coyote, only one I have ever caught. handful of pups and sick ones around town. This is the only wild adult in thousands of cage nights.
[Linked Image]

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/15/19 03:36 PM

All 3 I caught were healthy ones.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: trapNH

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/15/19 03:44 PM

Once in a while you will find a stupid one, even a blind hop get an acorn one in a while. definataly not productive.
Posted By: Kirk De

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/15/19 05:17 PM

Unless the trap has a reduced magnetic field as that animal goes through the trap and inside the trap it would be very difficult to catch mature coyote I wrote a book about it.

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/15/19 05:48 PM

I will give you an example as to how I found out or at least one of the ways. One of the traps that I made when I first set it I caught animal after animal. There was something in the trap every day. Wide variety of animals. It didn’t matter where I said it set it. I saw a red fox Cross the road near my home. I took the same trap but but I change the way the animal was caught. The trap is set for two weeks all I caught was a red fox and a possum. I loaned the trap out to another fella and he had the same luck. I couldn’t figure it out. Then when I had two traps just to like side-by-side I tested them. Trap with the option like I first set Had a low magnetic field. The trap I had changed had a high field over the trigger. Animal was going in but not far enough to fire the trap. I tested more traps and found the identical situation.

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/15/19 06:30 PM

Magic bait works here fresh carp chunks.

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/17/19 09:18 PM

Magic bait works here fresh carp chunks.

No Magic Jerry. Done too much testing for it not to be. Just too many experiences that lead to magnetic field variance being responsible.

I remember 42 years ago I bought a no till planter to plant corn on a farm I managed in Ohio. My neighbors all made fun of me doing minimum tillage especially since the farm had a history of Johnson grass. Two years before I had used a planter like it and a new chemical called eradicane to get rid of Johnson grass I had shipped from Alabama. Within 5 years they all were using Eradicane and no till minimum till planters. Now it is the only way to farm. It is even mandated in some areas.

Magnetic fields affect how the animal reacts to the trap. Many factors play in to it mainly how the trap is made, weather, and location North to south. Within 5 years Electromagnetic variance will be a big factor when buying trapping devices and how they are used.
Posted By: Catcollector

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/17/19 09:36 PM

Very interesting! magnetic fields and animal traps... In the ocean it's common to wire a chunk of zinc on to crab pots so the pot isn't "hot" I guess that is if the entire trap is metal all my pots have a plastic coating on the lead in and doors minus a non grounded flipper door and they catch just fine...
Posted By: Catcollector

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/17/19 09:37 PM

So would you recommend rubberizing the bottom of the cage trap or maybe dipping in wax?

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/17/19 09:44 PM

So would you recommend rubberizing the bottom of the cage trap or maybe dipping in wax?

Not At all. Might have some effect but probably not.

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/17/19 09:47 PM

You have to make the trap so that the field is directed to be reduced where how and where you want it to be.

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/19/19 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kirk De
You have to make the trap so that the field is directed to be reduced where how and where you want it to be.

How do you do that?

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/19/19 06:00 PM

So would a big wooden box trap work better?
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/19/19 06:46 PM

There was an individual on here a year a two ago asking if it would be beneficial to demagnetize footholds. Most people acted like it was a ridiculous idea. I'm not sure if it's beneficial or not for footholds but I bet people may be more open about the thought now. I'm sure a lot of different factors would come into play with a trap being buried in different soils vs. a cage trap sitting on top of the ground.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/19/19 08:31 PM

Kirk,I just ordered the book.Does a person need a magnetometer to realize benefits that you are talking about?Thanks.

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/19/19 08:36 PM

So would a big wooden box trap work better?

Some of the trap would need to be metal. for strength. Once the trap was ever contaminated it would be hard to illiminate smell. Wood also makes the trap very heavy, especially after a long rain. The ones I made are very heavy when you get to the larger size.

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/19/19 08:39 PM

Kirk,I just ordered the book.Does a person need a magnetometer to realize benefits that you are talking about?Thanks.

The book shows you how to turn your phone into a Magnetometer.
Posted By: KFhunter

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/19/19 08:45 PM

someone build an aluminium cage trap and see if that works

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/19/19 08:46 PM

There was an individual on here a year a two ago asking if it would be beneficial to demagnetize footholds. Most people acted like it was a ridiculous idea. I'm not sure if it's beneficial or not for footholds but I bet people may be more open about the thought now. I'm sure a lot of different factors would come into play with a trap being buried in different soils vs. a cage trap sitting on top of the ground.

I am bringing the cart before the horse, but when you understand how it works you will understand why some of the footholds seem to catch better than others. You will understand why some are upset when their product is copied. It all depends on how the device is made. Little changes make all the difference in the world. Most don't know why they are catching more, they just know what works better than others and follow what been working.

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/19/19 08:49 PM

I have studied that many times and just haven't found it to be better.
Posted By: KFhunter

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/19/19 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kirk De

I have studied that many times and just haven't found it to be better.

It seems that would disprove the theory then as aluminium is Non-ferrous and has no magnetic field ?

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/19/19 09:11 PM

What put the icing on the cake for me was building a pyramid cage trap. It was quite a challenge, due to my parkinsons. Took me several weeks. The trap responded to the magnetometer same as the descriptions as to ion flow as described in the egyption pyramids. I found that with some traps, depending on design, have a more negative ion flow depending on whether the trap faces north. Some designs not all. Negative ions are good.The book explains why.

The pyramid design caught well but wasn't practical for trapping. It made a great compartment for live bait above the catching base. According to an electrical engineer, possibly dangerous in a storm.

Learning about pyramids is what gave me the foundation for the book.

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/19/19 09:14 PM

It seems that would disprove the theory then as aluminium is Non-ferrous and has no magnetic field ?

Having no field out put is not better. It is how the field is directed as explained in the book.
Posted By: Trappercass

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/19/19 11:05 PM

There’s obviously some coyotes that are sharper than others..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 12/20/19 12:10 AM

There’s a reason explained in the book why you able to catch those coyotes that you did

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/04/20 12:27 AM

If you guys are pulling my leg with this magnetic field thing, that's not nice.

The state of Massachusetts did a study and it pretty clearly showed that traditional cage traps are not the way to catch coyote.

I'm wondering if I can make something akin to the pen or coral traps they use to catch hogs. Its not something I could relocate easily but if it worked I could just leave them in the few locations I trap and use them to catch the one or two coyote I could year after year. Basically a permanent cage trap 10x bigger than the ones in Trappercass's pics.
Posted By: charles

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/04/20 02:37 AM

The zinc bar on crab pots slow down the erosion of the metal in brackish water. Been there, done that. MIT works but the crabs don’t care. A new pot will out catch an old pot though.

An old crabber we knew would soak a brick in kerosene and put it in his pot. Not scientific. When the crabs are thick and the bait is good, crabs will crawl over the bricks.
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/04/20 03:48 AM

Stack hay around the Cage and put dirt in the floor... That would be your best chance IMO around here.
The reason one cage kept making catches had nothing to do with Magnetic Fields imo lol.. Just like Remakes that cage probably smelled like a coyote or critter, Makes it more appealing.
I'm gonna put some magnets under my Footholds this week to Debunk this "Theory"....Lol
Posted By: Mercer Lawing

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/04/20 03:20 PM

Magnetic fields keep coyotes from being caught in cage traps? Pyramids? Not an attack on the poster just calling complete nonsense with regard to cage traps and coyotes.

The same coyote that avoids the front of the cage by 20 feet on trail cam and then excavates a giant hole behind and under the trap trying to get at the bait is because it was magnetic? Come on.

Not saying for one second I know how to catch a coyote in a cage on purpose but I am positive beyond the slightest doubt that a plastic cage would make no difference.

I sell 8-1200 cages a year and been doing it for 15 years. Have a customer base of a several thousand. I hear from quite a few of them and have trapped a little myself and there aren't many coyotes getting caught in cages. So I either sell highly magnetic cages or coyotes just don't like cage traps.

In that country someone mentioned where Yancy used to run of course I live here. I had a buddy caught 15! in five weeks out there while bobcat trapping.
Asked him what his set was: Cage lightly covered with branches, a dead dove or other bait just thrown in the back. Powder River Cat Call Extreme as a lure, skunk paste and bobcat urine.

I personally have maybe 10 in 15 years cage trapping.

Old wives tale: "It's always a mangy or young and dumb coyote" Easily half the ones I have seen caught are mature dogs. Barking and growling as you walk up. The reason I suspect is why small cage traps have a higher percentage for catching big toms. They are just bold and aggressive.

Living in this stinking state with coyotes running the streets a guy could make a nice living selling cage traps that could catch coyotes. Iv'e spent considerable time contemplating it and have come up with nothing and I'm not the only one who's worked on it. Money is the great motivator and nobodies [Linked Image]
come up with anything.

ML

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/04/20 03:24 PM

I just figured the ones you cage were not the top of the litter or darn hungry.

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/04/20 03:26 PM

I think some of them probably were just as you describe Law Dog. Just adding that a high percentage of adults get caught as well.

Nothing more sorrowful looking than a bad mange coyote in a cage trap!

ML
Posted By: wmhctrapper

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/04/20 03:37 PM

I've been thinking about setting up a bait cage with Comstock double doors as the entrances in really thick cover. Kind of like how the snare lynx and wolves in canada but instead of snares cages.

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/04/20 03:40 PM

I had one of my double doors installed into the fence at a little farm where coyote had been getting stuff.

Gave it a couple of weeks but nothing. Works for bobcats...

ML

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/04/20 05:18 PM

Ppl I just hope this thread never gets deleted. I am positive of what I’ve written. It’s just a matter of time I will be common practice to know what I’ve written. It’s a shame that there’s not more interest to know what can be very Good for the industry and the public in general. How many of you that are criticizing Have actually read my book. How many have actually tested at least 20 different models and manufactures of cage traps A varying sizes and shapesUsing a magnetometer.

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/04/20 05:38 PM

Mercer a bobcat can’t see the magnetic field he can only sense it if It is strong.it Is explained in my bookThey are just not afraid of it.Being critical without knowing just hurts the industry.

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/04/20 05:53 PM

Crabbers discovered the use of sacrificial anodes a long long time ago.
Not even coming close to denying that animals can sense a lot of things we can't including magnetic fields.

This thread is about COYOTES. Reading a book or de magnetizing my cage is not gonna get a coyote to come any closer to my cage. They walk around it. Waaayyy around it.

You telling me a pyramid shaped cage trap with the right harmonics is gonna cause a coyote NOT to be scared to death of a cage trap at twenty feet?

Thread is about coyotes and cages. The thought that changing some magnetic dynamic with a cage trap would cause a COYOTE not to be wary of a cage and would result in any measurable change in the frequency of catching a COYOTE in a cage trap is just silly. You still have to get them to visit the cage.

In my lifetime no one will ever prove that these techniques will ever result in a measurable improvement on catching COYOTES in cages.

ML

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/04/20 05:57 PM

As I said before I hope this thread never gets deleted.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/04/20 08:32 PM

Now . . . . for a good method to demagnetize snares!

And to ground the electrical field.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/04/20 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Furvor
Now . . . . for a good method to demagnetize snares!

And to ground the electrical field.

What method do you use to support snares?

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/04/20 08:56 PM

ADC has the Best Method for using some snare supports that I have seen. Remember magnetic fields don’t serve the ground you tell the field is directed. Even the snare he uses and how he connects it.

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/04/20 08:59 PM

How the field as directed is what’s important.adc seems To have the best

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/04/20 09:37 PM

Best I could tellis that J amies support wire and snare cable bleed after the half-inch rebar he uses. I didn’t see any swivels. A swivel would radiate the magnetic field out from the rebar and be Something the coyote could see and avoid. By using a half inch rebar magnetic field emanating off the rebar would be smaller than 5/8 or larger rebar. It would better mimic a T post what’s the coyote is not afraid of.The electromagnetic field would rise out the top of the rebar.The same as a T post on on a fence.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/05/20 12:31 AM

Hmmm intresting...
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/05/20 01:49 AM

I might have missed it, but what is the title of the book?
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/05/20 03:49 AM

As I understand electricity the earth carries a negative charge. If a snare picks up a negative charge from the earth that might, for all I know (zero), have an effect on an animal. Micro stainless steel wire has long been woven into outer clothing to negate static electricity in electronic equipment manufacturing, and at least one hunting garment producer is using similar construction and claiming it allows humans to get closer to animals without alarming them.

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/05/20 05:21 PM

It has been proven that lower levels of electromagnetic fields are Breaking down cells and are more harmful than previously thought. I think the coyote Senses the field as being harmful to him and other coyotes over time.he is then reacting to what he has learned .
From what I understand and found there are very few animals that have been successfully tested To Carry The cryptochrome molecule to allow EMF to be seen .

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/05/20 05:39 PM

A K-9 can smell way better then we can they can find the smallest amounts of scent and they can hear/sense a game cam when I takes a pic. I would buy the 5 senses before I’ll buy into a 6th sense. Not saying it’s not possible just respect what they already have going.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/05/20 06:13 PM

I'm not saying yes or no to any thing but I have watched some tests on dogs that makes one think that maybe they can sense things that we dont understand. They use dogs to alert patients of seizures coming is one example.
Posted By: Fishdog One

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/05/20 06:27 PM

Just saw part of a show about sharks coming to bait inside of brick circle no problem but a circle of magnets they would not enter it, feeding frenzy right next to the magnet circle with a fish tail bait sticking up.

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/05/20 06:41 PM

Seen a story on red fox using the magnetic North Pole to hunt mice under the snow so a guy never knows.

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/05/20 09:44 PM

From my book. “Cold weather and reduce sunlight have a great bearing on magnetic variance. And warm moist climate fields intensity will actually increase the breakdown of molecules in place lures and the human sent the trapper leaves, thus making the animal avoid the Set because it enhances his ability to smell.On the other hand with a properly constructed cage trap or trap device the magnetic field reading is reduced inside the trap or the device allowing negative ions flow reducing the speed of decay and breakdown of Lures and bait:“
Basically the higher the intensity of the electromagnetic field the more the trap stinks. To reduce the stink reduce the intensity of the field.

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/05/20 10:45 PM

Good grief.

Too busy catching stuff.

ML

Re: Cage trap coyote? - 01/07/20 10:24 PM

There is an easy way to test traps to see if a EMF is keeping them out or reducing what enters a cage. Take two double door powered door cages 12-14" wide15 to 16" tall. One has a field intensity higher than the average of the earth where it is tested. The other same except the field is substantially reduced going through the trap. Set the traps side by side on a runs or cross overs with traps about 4-6 inches apart. Also set traps side by side in 5-6" of water with grass between them with lure. place sticks or debris to block the beaver from trying to go between the traps. Target beaver because you can narrow down the amount of area concentrating the animals. They are responsive to EMF. Do your testing when water temperature is above 45 degrees and outside temperatures range from 40 degrees night to 70 degrees days. Go to 20 locations for water sets in shallow water and 20 locations with land sets. Submerged is not needed, because most would be a type of forced set. Best to go to an area that was trapped some minimally using exposed conibears at least about a year or more before. Set two pairs of traps, or more, at each location. Use guillotine, lockbar. or bifold doors as long as each trap set side by side is basically the same size, and has the same claimed function. Do each test with each trap similar such as both have a wire trigger or both have a pan.

Write down the moon phase, temperature, what animals were caught in which traps. Record an estimated age and any distractions such as a controlled burn, heavy equipment use, or public intervention such boating and shooting.

You are going to find at least a two to one advantage of the reduced field traps in catches over the high intensity traps. The end total should be at least 3 or more to one advantage of the cage trap with the low intensity over the trap with the higher intensity field in actual catches.There will be a larger number of mature or three year olds or older beaver in the low intensity trap and more of a percentage of the catch being younger beaver in the high intensity trap.

Record incidental otter catches and same data. Record non targets such as turtles, coon and fish. This will document the door was down not allowing a targeted catch.

Kirk DeKalb
© 2024 Trapperman Forums