Home

I am Far from the Christian I want to be.......

Posted By: 330-Trapper

I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/11/19 03:17 PM

Someone here today needs this "daily study " like I did. Just passing it on.

"Luke 6:46
(46) "But why do you call Me "Lord, Lord," and not do the things which I say?
New King James Version Change your email Bible version

This verse poses a question that we need to answer correctly to make righteous use of our knowledge of God. A powerful influence works in us to justify why we do not conform to God's way more thoroughly, despite what we know. If we must learn any lesson in all of life, it is that God is God, and His Word is sure. Virtually everything in life on this earth is under the sway of Satan, working through carnal-minded men at enmity against God. The Devil's way is designed to influence men's thinking to believe that man is supreme, while simultaneously giving lip service to God as if they know Him.

What does the Bible reveal about this? Do men not have power, knowledge, and will? Of course! But what happens when they come into conflict with God's will? What happened when man tried to build the Tower of Babel? Or when Pharaoh attempted to keep Israel in slavery in Egypt? Or when Balaam sought to curse Israel? Could the Canaanites thwart Israel's invasion of the land? Did Saul manage to kill David? Could Jonah resist God's command to preach to Nineveh? Could Nebuchadnezzar execute Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego? Did Herod succeed in slaying the infant Jesus?

Proverbs 19:21 says, "There are many plans in a man's heart, nevertheless the LORD's counsel—that will stand." Do we consult with God before we launch into pursuing our plans? Many times, we fail to do this because He is so far from our thinking in practical, everyday situations that we do not consider if He has any plans for us as part of His will.

— John
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/11/19 03:37 PM

I had to trust in God for his plan and timing in situations at work. I struggled for 8 years but in the end, my prayers were answered. I even applied for other jobs but no one called me back. I got a great raise last year that told me to stay at the job where I’m at. In June the manager was let go. God is good. We have to remember it’s God’s timing not ours. I am blessed.
Posted By: Posco

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/11/19 03:57 PM

I think every Christian would readily admit they're far from what they should be but thank God they are not what they once were.

How easy it is to forgot the God of the universe reached down to man and has an interest in him.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/11/19 04:08 PM

Sadly, the number of those who think man is supreme is growing. Morality is no longer an issue when you turn your back on the Creator. Immorality has become the norm. What is evil is now considered good and good is now considered evil.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/11/19 04:20 PM

I have to admit I'm going through some kind of spirituality thing, not sure what the heck is going on but I appreciate the post Scott.
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/11/19 04:39 PM

Catch22 -

We all are going through a spiritual thing. God is there for you at all times. Spiritual warfare is real and occurs every moment of every day. Just most folks won't talk about it. God has created us in His image and tells us in Ephesians 1:4 He chose us before the foundations of the world but at the same time we are to be holy and blameless in His sight. This can only be accomplished by the blood of Jesus Christ and allowing God to work in our lives. He has sent us His comforter - the Holy Spirit.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/11/19 05:01 PM

God wants to be in our lives, he knows we are not perfect. He knows what is in our hearts, we can't hide our thoughts from Him. We tend to forget when things are smooth sailing and only call on Him when the waters get rough, but that's not a very good relationship is it? Our sins were bought and paid for by the blood of Christ. And in His resurrection, death defeated. I do believe there is a stirring in the word as I've had more conversations with people in the last couple of years who were awaken that never had been.
Posted By: jbell

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/11/19 05:13 PM

Good stuff. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/11/19 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
I have to admit I'm going through some kind of spirituality thing, not sure what the heck is going on but I appreciate the post Scott.

I've heard many people say they are going through a spiritual awakening of sorts lately. And as the post eluded to above, could it be that we are in the end times, and the Lord is separating the wheat from the chaff?

Makes one think, and to take stock of your spiritual condition.

Satan is a sin loving sissy, why not live your life for Jesus Christ?... The real King of Kings!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/11/19 05:40 PM

"Luke 6:46
(46) "But why do you call Me "Lord, Lord," and not do the things which I say?

to ask this is essentially to ask why do people perpetuate unhealthy activity smoking , drugs , ect.. when they know it is harming them and killing their body.

human nature "sin" is to do what immediately gratifies and not the bigger picture , Satin is the instant gratification , God if the investment of life.

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/11/19 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
Originally Posted by Catch22

I've heard many people say they are going through a spiritual awakening of sorts lately. And as the post eluded to above, could it be that we are in the end times, and the Lord is separating the wheat from the chaff?

Makes one think, and to take stock of your spiritual condition.

Satan is a sin loving sissy, why not live your life for Jesus Christ?... The real King of Kings!

You may be right about us being in the end times. The world is certainly losing its way. Jesus said, "When you see these things come to pass, know that the end is near."

Makes me wonder how long will the Lord allow these things to go on?
Posted By: white marlin

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/11/19 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Someone here today needs this "daily study " like I did. Just passing it on.

it was ME who needed to hear this. Thank you!

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/12/19 03:21 AM

I almost kept it to myself...
...I'm glad it was a blessing to a few on here!

T-man is a Family, one Im glad to be a part of!
Posted By: Rcates

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/12/19 03:45 AM

Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: slydogx

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/12/19 04:03 AM

Thanks for this
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/12/19 04:07 AM

Some things we can't just keep to ourselves. My God sons girl 13 almost died twice getting chemo. First her lungs filled with blood, the second time she had sepsis, now she is playing volley ball. My niece fell from the top of her house and broke seven ribs and severe head concussion, now she is back at work. My sister(her mother) fell and broke her wrist 2 weeks later, she has has healed up quick for an 83 yr old.

So you can see why the song "Its No Secret What God Can Do" has really been on my heart the past few months.
Posted By: adam m

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/12/19 04:58 AM

Great timing. I was just talking about this yesterday with a friend. We were talking about marriage and family. I mentioned this weekend I was slapped upside the head spiritually. My kids and I went for Christmas trees and they were complaining that their socks were soaked feet were frozen etc.... I was upset with them and was telling them I told them to listen to me and bring extra shoes socks etc...and you should listen to what I am saying I am trying to protect you and know what I am talking about. yet at the same time I felt the Spirit slapping me around saying what about you? You don't always listen and yet it is clear. Talk about getting humbled

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/12/19 05:04 AM

Very True Adam
Posted By: Cleatus

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/12/19 05:25 AM

God is good all the time. Jesus loves you.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/12/19 05:55 AM

Christ taught that the Tower of Siloam in the Bible which fell and killed people, was not some retribution from God as the Jews were thinking, as the dead had to be greater sinners than others. People have wills. God has Will and satan has it's deceptions. It is choice of what people do in situations, but they can not stop the Promise of the Father.
I firmly believe that every person chooses who they will be, before they are born here. Some appeal to power, money etc... and others choose denial in growing in the Light of God. We are all born and after a progression of choices grow to be what we chose, whether a Judas or a John. Most fall into that tepid personality that Christ says He spits out as they are neither hot nor cold for anything.

I was reading about prayer in the books which can be downloaded in eSword these past months, and while satan has deadly influence on earth, people in our choices and the requirement of prayer, have a purpose in God to move Him in our lives for His Glory and our benefit in living in His Will. Most instances it is hard. I noted the Christian who invested years in trusting in God for his job. Things in God take time as God does measure us and this is not meant to be easy or we would not need Christ.
The Proverbs teach that we are to hear God and obey Him, and as Christ fulfills the law, we provide the proof of being God's in obeying Him and caring for others. That is the Lord, Lord part in who Christ dismisses, because what He measures people by is what they show in compassion for others. No one is to bankrupt themselves for others or place themselves in jeopardy, but how many smiling powerful and rich people do we know in our communities who set in pews, toss a few dollars to charity, get their pictures in the paper and think they are Christians when Christ knows how many people they could be making a difference in their lives.
Doing what is right has little reward in this world, but you keep doing it as that is what is the right thing to do.

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/12/19 06:46 AM

My soul slapping was similar to Adams. Mine took place on the Rocky banks of a reservoir. And I thought I was in control. I have been humbled. And I thank Him every day for it.
Posted By: gman

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/12/19 12:34 PM

Immorality has become the norm. What is evil is now considered good and good is now considered evil.

Good post! Sorry....Not to turn this to a political post but the above seems to be the goal of the Liberal Dems. in this country...
Posted By: K9BeavCoon

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/12/19 02:19 PM

Thanks for sharing that. It’s a daily grind, trying to better yourself and build your relationship with the Lord. Especially when the world is evil and tries to sway your every decision.
Posted By: Kart29

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/12/19 02:36 PM

"I am a great sinner. But I have a great Savior!"

Thank God that he has saved me and loves me, not because of who I am or anything I have done or can ever do, but because of His great love, grace, and mercy. I am a complete and utter failure at keeping any of God's commands. But I have been washed by the blood of the Lamb and stand robed in his perfect, radiant righteousness.

None shall take me from the "Strength of Israel's" hands!
Posted By: run

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/12/19 02:56 PM

Thanks for sharing, 330 trapper.
Posted By: adam m

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/12/19 03:01 PM

Thanks 330.
I fail God daily yet His grace love and mercy remains.
Posted By: Minks

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/12/19 03:22 PM

Good Stuff Folks GREAT POST

How truly Blessed we All are FOLKS ... We just went though the Thanksgiving Holiday that so many stop to give thanks - But ---I have have a Poem in my Bible that reads

EVERYDAY IS THANKSGIVING !!!! Stop and think about it .... Everyday that we can tell our loved ones we love them ... Everyday we can get up out of bed and do the things that make us happy ... Everyday we can go to work , trap , hunt, fish ect. Once Again EVERYDAY IS A DAY OF THANKSGIVING

Remember All --- Tell the ones you love, you love them as often as you can because as we all well know life can be taken away in a split second and you may not be able to tell them you love them again .

Good Stuff

Minks

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/12/19 03:32 PM

While I'm far from perfect I do believe God saved me from my sins and not in them. With that said I think we are in a growing process, but I'm afraid many adults are still on their bottles of milk and constantly need their pacifiers. We need to grow thru the stages of positional and experiential and finally the ultimate stages of sanctification. By the way when we get to the ultimate we most likely won't be held by gravity any more.

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/12/19 04:14 PM

When we buy a new vehicle we get an Owner's Manuel. For these new vehicles with all their buttons, you need it. The manufacturer made sure every new vehicle had one in it. If you have a problem, it will help you solve it. It pretty much gives an overview of the general operation of the vehicle.

Our Creator knew we couldn't just inhabit this planet stumbling around in the dark, so He gave us an Owners Manuel, the bible. It answers a lot of questions, like What am I doing here? It can solve problems and provides a general overview of life on planet earth.

I felt this coincides with Minks post.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/13/19 02:19 AM

"The mercy of God is shown to me by the punishment I deserve but do not receive"
"The Grace of God is shown to me by the salvation I have not yet earned"

I work to grow my spirituality every day. I find that many aspects of man made religion impede one's contact with God instead of enhancing the communications with God.
I do enjoy Bible studies where several can and do share their thoughts and ideas about scripture and how that impacts our lives.
I do several readings and meditations daily in the morning. It helps kick start the day in a better direction for me and I also do a quick review at the end of the day to see how quickly and or often I ran off the road.

Bryce

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/13/19 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by bblwi
"The mercy of God is shown to me by the punishment I deserve but do not receive"
"The Grace of God is shown to me by the salvation I have not yet earned"

I work to grow my spirituality every day. I find that many aspects of man made religion impede one's contact with God instead of enhancing the communications with God.
I do enjoy Bible studies where several can and do share their thoughts and ideas about scripture and how that impacts our lives.
I do several readings and meditations daily in the morning. It helps kick start the day in a better direction for me and I also do a quick review at the end of the day to see how quickly and or often I ran off the road.

Bryce

So true about the man made doctrins

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/13/19 02:37 AM

I don't know what your guys experience was like but God showed me what I deserved before he extended me his mercy. I thought I was a goner for sure. God ground me to powder to the point I gave up and agreed that I did indeed deserve (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman). Then God was gracious.

Being a new creature in Christ, I was bold and ready to slay any uncircumcised Philistine that crossed my path. I made a vow to God that I would never sin again. I'm sure God smiled on that claim knowing better.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/13/19 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Posco
I don't know what your guys experience was like but God showed me what I deserved before he extended me his mercy. I thought I was a goner for sure. God ground me to powder to the point I gave up and agreed that I did indeed deserve (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman). Then God was gracious.

Being a new creature in Christ, I was bold and ready to slay any uncircumcised Philistine that crossed my path. I made a vow to God that I would never sin again. I'm sure God smiled on that claim knowing better.

Well, I was raised in the Church of God, we were there every time the doors were open. I left the church for years, went back for a spell and left again. I guess I'm self proclaimed as a Pagan, I know that's a broad brush stroke. I think it was a year or two ago I found myself at a spiritual crossroads and shook it off. I find myself back at those crossroads once again.

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/13/19 02:58 AM

A guy lived on a crossroads, sitting on his porch in his favorite chair when a guy pulls up lost as a goose in a snow storm. He asked the guy sitting in his chair, where does that road go, the guy says, don't know. Next the lost guy says where does that road go, same reply, I don't know. Well where does that road go, same reply I don't know. Then the guy says to the man on the porch, don't you know anything? At which time the guy says, I know I ain't lost like you!

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/13/19 03:14 AM

If you don't know where you are going any road you take will get you there.

Bryce

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/13/19 03:30 AM

I'm curious how many guys here have ever read The Pilgrim's Progress, and if so, did you see yourself there?
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/15/19 12:10 AM

Thanks for posting! I've read every word.

Now I can skip church tomorrow.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/15/19 12:17 AM

So am I.
This is a good thread. Thanks for the many good posts here.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/15/19 01:49 AM

Thanks for posting! Some great comments on this thread!!

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/15/19 02:15 AM

I'm curious how many guys here have ever read The Pilgrim's Progress, and if so, did you see yourself there?

Don't remember ever hearing of it, but will have one in the near future.
Posted By: run

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/15/19 02:22 AM

I have read Pilgrims Progress. I should read it again.

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/15/19 02:43 AM

A mud dauber goes through the egg, larvae, pupae and adult stages. When he comes out he is as big as he ever will be. There are some that start the Christian walk that have never grown since the day they started. In Ezekiel it talks about the daubers daubing the walls and whitewashing them crying peace, peace.
The title to the post is I am Far from the Christian I want to be. So some are still striving to be better each day. I truly believe when we get to the point we need to be we will be out of here. If you through a ball in the air it stops only a second then falls back. If we are not continually striving to be better then at some point we stop and are sliding backwards.

We Baptist don't teach backsliding, we just practice it!

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/15/19 03:36 AM

" I ain't what I should be, I ain't what I wanna be, but I thank God I am not what I used to be"

Bryce
Posted By: WVCritter

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/15/19 04:17 AM

I was saved at a revival in our community church when I was a teenager. I continued to attend church well up into my 30's but came to a point where I just quit going. I had no one to blame but myself. Earlier this year, I felt the need to get back in church and so I did. I asked God to take me back and I would pick up where I left off. Shortly after, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. That was an eye opener for me. I believe God knew what was in my future and He reached out to me. He knew I couldn't go through it alone. I may have left Him for a few years but He never left me. I had surgery in April and so far, all is good. I'm by no means perfect but my Savior is and I pray daily for His guidance.

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/15/19 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by WVCritter
I was saved at a revival in our community church when I was a teenager. I continued to attend church well up into my 30's but came to a point where I just quit going. I had no one to blame but myself. Earlier this year, I felt the need to get back in church and so I did. I asked God to take me back and I would pick up where I left off. Shortly after, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. That was an eye opener for me. I believe God knew what was in my future and He reached out to me. He knew I couldn't go through it alone. I may have left Him for a few years but He never left me. I had surgery in April and so far, all is good. I'm by no means perfect but my Savior is and I pray daily for His guidance.

That is a Great testimony. Have heard many say they could have accomplished so much more if they hadn't wasted time. To which my reply is it isn't how you start, but how you finish. I had double pneumonia in '74 and laying flat on my back gave me time to look up. Plus the guy in the room with me died, made me see how frail I was.

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/15/19 04:58 AM

God reveals Himself to us as He would have us see,
and as outdoors folks we're up close and personal to His Revelation of Creation.

Scripture is God's Word to the World
but His Word in the World - Christ Jesus
along with His World of the Word - Creation
are beyond our ability to comprehend.
Thus faith, is the starting point to seek knowledge (Augustinian: as he studied Paul's writings).

Trappers, more than most, witness the splendor of His handiwork as we go about our days afield.

Good post.

Re: I am Far from the Christian I want to be....... - 12/15/19 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Foxpaw
A mud dauber goes through the egg, larvae, pupae and adult stages. When he comes out he is as big as he ever will be. There are some that start the Christian walk that have never grown since the day they started. In Ezekiel it talks about the daubers daubing the walls and whitewashing them crying peace, peace.
The title to the post is I am Far from the Christian I want to be. So some are still striving to be better each day. I truly believe when we get to the point we need to be we will be out of here. If you through a ball in the air it stops only a second then falls back. If we are not continually striving to be better then at some point we stop and are sliding backwards.

We Baptist don't teach backsliding, we just practice it!

Thanks Foxpaw
© 2024 Trapperman Forums