Home

Antibiotics for Dog fight

Posted By: Badgerman50

Antibiotics for Dog fight - 11/25/19 05:38 PM

My 6 year old female cur/jackdale got in a brutal fight with her 3 year old daughter who is in heat. The mother is about 50 lbs and the young one about 35 lbs. It must have taken me 3 or four minutes to get them apart. The young one tore into her mother once I let them out this morning. Both are bitten up pretty good. Still dripping blood an hour later but no serious blood flow. My older one has been bitten by coyotes and badgers but nothing like this. I don’t think a vet trip is necessary but I’d like to get them some antibiotics. Anyone use farm supply store antibiotics for their dogs?
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Antibiotics for Dog fight - 11/25/19 05:43 PM

A good pour of peroxide if you have any.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Antibiotics for Dog fight - 11/25/19 08:30 PM

careful with what you give them some of those farm store antibiotics can be toxic to dogs
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Antibiotics for Dog fight - 11/25/19 08:35 PM

Baytril is on of the best antibiotics for dogs there is in my opinion. We use it all the time. Most people with cattle will have a bottle. Sorry about the dog. Hope all goes well
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Antibiotics for Dog fight - 11/25/19 10:07 PM

We always used Tylan. Pick it up at any TSC.
Posted By: Badgerman50

Re: Antibiotics for Dog fight - 11/26/19 12:15 AM

Thanks. We have a D&B and a Tractor Supply in town. The big one can’t walk on one leg and the little one looks like her ear got run through a paper shredder. For three and a half years they’ve gotten along just fine. Hope this isn’t the new normal
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Antibiotics for Dog fight - 11/26/19 12:19 AM

We use water to break up fights. Shove a hose in their mouth and they break it up or drown...most decide they like living more than fighting.
We also learned what dogs can be let out with other dogs. I’ll let the 2 fighters out individually, then once they’re kenneled up I can let the rest of the dogs out. When hunting, the fighters hunt with the females.
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: Antibiotics for Dog fight - 11/26/19 12:47 AM

We have used regular cattle penicillin from the farm supply store on our hounds and cur dogs my entire life. My dad and uncles even used it on themselves. Also use ivomec on hounds and curs for worms and ticks. Just don't use it on a long haired dog.
Posted By: caldwellite

Re: Antibiotics for Dog fight - 11/26/19 12:59 AM

I used D&B for vet meds for my Horses and dogs. They will be able to tell you the current antibiotic you want . Zamzows may have meds also.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums