Home

Getting Old and Slow

Posted By: Zim

Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 04:55 AM

No, not the impeachment BS, me. Today I cut, split and stacked a face and a half of good hardwood, fixed up 2 tree stands for next week's deer gun season and
put a new handle on a cant hook that I busted a couple weeks ago when a log misbehaved on a landing.
I flat out hurt and can't wait to see what it feels like in the morning.
Why it was not more than a couple three years ago when I had my son and his buddies doing this stuff for me while I
sipped mint juleps on the veranda. Dang kids moving on and getting their own life.

Zim cry
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 05:09 AM

Heck Zim you ain't seen nothing yet.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 05:13 AM

Hey Don, good to see ya on here again. I plan to gradually hurt as much as possible. lol
Zim
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 05:17 AM

Gotta be like a shark you need to keep moving! LOL
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 06:06 AM

I find that the more active I am the better I feel. Old dudes.kick butt. Lol
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 06:09 AM

I was right there with you last week Zim. Split a huge pile of chestnut and birch with a hydraulic splitter and a buddy but my back was screaming for three days after.

And I never had kids so I've never had a mint julep either.

Good luck.

Pete
Posted By: coop

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 06:32 AM

So what did you do after lunch?
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 08:56 AM

Getting old is not all it is cracked up to be .But it beats the other option!! So if you are hurting at least you are still feeling .
Posted By: black and tan

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 11:15 AM

WhenI seen you yesterday you looked like you was ready to run a marathon.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 11:21 AM

yes I know what your talking about zim I'm not old in my head but my body feels old
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 11:27 AM

i struggle to get my brain to sync with the current state of my body.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 01:14 PM

I just cleaned my boots and now I need a nap.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 01:15 PM

I'm not old just high mileage and no longer OME LMAO!
I realize now why the old guys I was around when younger complained. Know now they were tougher than I thought.

Mac
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 01:31 PM

LOL, yep, hang in there Zim, lol. I used to look at a creek and jump it, or a tree limb and look up, jump and grab it. It's hard to will my body to hurt itself anymore.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 01:32 PM

i just catch my foot on a root and down i go....not fast enough below the waist to stop it.

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 01:42 PM

i've made an art out of rolling around on the ground.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2

I'm told that is because there is really no victims of Gravity,, The earth just Sucks.. LOL!

Mac
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 01:56 PM

you"re young,,it may get worse!!! I was great until 56 then blah
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 02:37 PM

Tylenol PM and a Lazy Boy.....

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 02:39 PM

i have cat like reflexes actually,if dead cats count. grin
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 03:02 PM

i have cat like reflexes actually,if dead cats count. grin

grin
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 03:22 PM

Did you expect to get faster as you got older? grin
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 04:47 PM

Who said "Golden Years"? I do count myself lucky to still be above ground. Many of my friends are not. I think I'm very fortunate not to have any real arthritis issues. No question that I've slowed down. I'm still trapping and use a walking stick in the woods to steady myself. A nice nap in the afternoon is great.. My dream is to be shot by a jealous husband at the age of 100.

One more thing: I am so sick of this impeachment crap that I don't turn on the news much. Just what has Congress accomplished in the past 3 years?

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Fisher Man
Who said "Golden Years"? I do count myself lucky to still be above ground. Many of my friends are not. I think I'm very fortunate not to have any real arthritis issues. No question that I've slowed down. I'm still trapping and use a walking stick in the woods to steady myself. A nice nap in the afternoon is great.. My dream is to be shot by a jealous husband at the age of 100.

One more thing: I am so sick of this impeachment crap that I don't turn on the news much. Just what has Congress accomplished in the past 3 years?

gettin Trump re-elected is about it.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 05:03 PM

That's awesome lol.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 08:02 PM

Zim, pain is just weakness leaving your body.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 09:32 PM

2 weeks ago I felll in the parking lot going for my physical. The whole darn world got to see it. Gee wiz you thought an old fella fell. The nurse said you are an old fella. OMG !
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
I just cleaned my boots and now I need a nap.

Made me laugh. Good quote. 2 points
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by stinkypete
2 weeks ago I felll in the parking lot going for my physical. The whole darn world got to see it. Gee wiz you thought an old fella fell. The nurse said you are an old fella. OMG !

I'm only in my 50's and i fall all the time. Most recent, today. I was sitting in my office chair and it gave way and down to the floor I went. I have medical issues but dang, didn't see this one coming. I am sore, but still kicking, got some squirrels the other day. Got to keep digging man!
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/17/19 11:47 PM

Soon as the kids get out of school I'm moving to Arizona. No more snow.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/18/19 12:01 AM

Getting old isn't for wimps.
Posted By: Mac

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/18/19 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
Did you expect to get faster as you got older? grin

LOL, good one
Posted By: Ole

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/18/19 04:57 AM

There is a country western song written by Blake Shelton for Clint Eastwood, as I recall.
"Don't Let The Old Man In"
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/18/19 11:53 AM

Only thing golden about yr "golden yrs" is yr urine!!
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/18/19 01:20 PM

Just the other day I was stomping around a creek, found out I cant lift my foot up over even the lowest stick. I fell a couple times, use to be graceful about it, now its a straight down thud. Im sure it is because of getting use to the hip boots-not age. I will get better at it by the time I pull.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/18/19 01:23 PM

If you fall when your young you quick look around to make sure no one noticed,...If you fall when your old, you look around to see if anyone can help you up....

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/18/19 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by lumberjack391
Just the other day I was stomping around a creek, found out I cant lift my foot up over even the lowest stick. I fell a couple times, use to be graceful about it, now its a straight down thud. Im sure it is because of getting use to the hip boots-not age. I will get better at it by the time I pull.

straight down thud is still better than straight down splash. wink
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/18/19 02:01 PM

One can only hope that in the process of getting older and slower you have gotten a little smarter along the way. If so, the gains in efficiency can help offset the some of the decline in other areas. wink
Posted By: danvee

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/18/19 02:18 PM

Im not getting any older, I'm just marinating!
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/18/19 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by gcs
If you fall when your young you quick look around to make sure no one noticed,...If you fall when your old, you look around to see if anyone can help you up....

Another good quote. 2 points
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/18/19 02:47 PM

I have learned to start the day slowly and then taper off.
Posted By: coydog2

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/18/19 02:53 PM

When you able to get up out of bed and see another day and still able to get around you did the best thing of the day. After that ,do what you can and make it work for you and then go from there.I found out this season for how much it caught up with me. For all that I got.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/18/19 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by gcs

So true laugh
Posted By: nute

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/18/19 03:55 PM

Zim, enjoy your days .It could be worse. Just ask misses nute.
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/18/19 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by gray dog
I find that the more active I am the better I feel. Old dudes.kick butt. Lol

Are you kidding????
I can't hardly get my foot high enough to tie my shoe.
just
Posted By: old243

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/18/19 10:29 PM

Can't reach my feet? Think my legs got longer. old 243
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/18/19 10:42 PM

I agree with the statements above regarding feeling better when active or after activity. Something as simple as walking. I feel pretty stiff for the first 1/4 mile but by the time I have gone 2-3 miles I feel a lot better. I don't know if it is blood flow or other aspects but it just feels better to get moving. Now learning what is reasonable for an aging body takes some time to learn.

Bryce
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/19/19 01:35 AM

Attention Zim and all you OLD folks, remember this and you will be better off: YOU are not old, you are M A T U R E !!!

and to place all your minds at ease being mature STILL HURTS !!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/19/19 01:51 AM

It's not the age as much as it is the mileage. Then, you gotta factor in who was at the wheel and if they drove it like they stole it.
Posted By: RonH

Re: Getting Old and Slow - 11/19/19 02:08 AM

So mr Zim, what did you feel like the next morning? Recovered, refreshed and ready for more?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums