ever have a battery do this - 11/16/19 11:26 PM

was charging my tractor battery ,when I turn key this happen [Linked Image]
I was darn lucky
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/16/19 11:31 PM

Not yet, no... shocked
Posted By: goldnut

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/16/19 11:36 PM

Happened to a friend of mine. He thought he may have have the charging leads hooked up backwards. Not sure though
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/16/19 11:39 PM

everything was right ,top of battery hit the roof of build I was in ,14 foot side wall ,
Posted By: Boco

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/16/19 11:40 PM

Hydrogen gas produced from charging was ignited by a spark.Not that uncommon.
Posted By: garart

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/16/19 11:44 PM

Vents on the battery clogged up or froze up? Any way not good! shocked
Posted By: cmcf

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/16/19 11:48 PM

Yes. all it takes is a loose terminal, sourse for spark and an unsealed battery. I turned the key to the start position and it sounded like a shotgun went off under the hood. This is why the correct technique for junp starts is to connect the positive sides then one of the negative on the batteries and the final ground to something metal away from the batteries in case there is a spark
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/16/19 11:48 PM

Yep, had one blow up in my face. I was jumping it at the time. I am 99.99% sure I did not have them hooked up backwards.

I was at a lumber yard and had just bought some lumber when my truck wouldn't start. I felt the acid on my face and arms starting to burn and I said I needed some water and an employee took me into the bathroom there where I was able to wash off. After that they drove me to the parts store and I bought a new battery.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Boco

Worked on cars for many years. Learned this , luckily, the easy way. I was attaching jumper cables to a car to jump start it , small spark and crackel as the final connection was made. Then I noticed a few tiny sparks in the air near the battery caps. What I did not know at the time , there was a small fire I had ignited by making the last connection. A completely colorless flame almost invisible except for the few tiny random sparks in the flames. I backed up , was unsure of what was going on. Then the top of the battery exploded just like in the OP's picture. Luckily I had backed up , I didn't get hurt or any acid on me. Older batteries still have vent caps to allow excess gases like hydrogen escape. It also has a bit of a flame arrestor too , but may not work perfectly. Smaller batteries like for lawn tractors and such use older technologies to save costs.

Lesson learned , always connect the last connection with jumper cables to ground away from the battery like the engine block or a big piece of metal not the terminal of the battery. If it creates a spark like it does a lot , it is away from the gases exiting the battery.

In this case (OP's battery) it could be caused by a loose connection that upon putting power to the circuit , like starting the engine , all you need is a tiny , tiny spark and kaboom. Hydrogen is very , very quick to ignite.
Posted By: fossil2

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 12:08 AM

happened to a local guy here while jump starting. his eye points forward, and the glass one points off to the side somewhat. very lucky he didn't lose both.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 12:17 AM

Yes I was helping a friend jump start his car.I was under the hood of his car making sure the jumper cables where contacting the battery .Turned away to check the same thing on my car and his battery blew up .I am talking less than 10 seconds after I turned away from his car. I was being looked out for because the battery was destroyed like yours More than 30 years ago now but I remember it like it was 30 seconds ago
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 12:17 AM

It happened to buddy when we were teenagers. He was jumping another car, the hydrogen gas ignited and the battery exploded. He was blinded in one eye.

Glad you weren't hurt Trapper Dahlgren.
Posted By: kenny k

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 12:22 AM

Have had more then one Blow up .Welding on semis to jumping old cars and tractors .
Posted By: illinideer

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 12:53 AM

Yes my dad had it happen jump starting my 1948 willys jeep. Had to go to er to get plastic shards picked out of his face. Luckily he had his glasses on.
J

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
It happened to buddy when we were teenagers. He was jumping another car, the hydrogen gas ignited and the battery exploded. He was blinded in one eye.

Glad you weren't hurt Trapper Dahlgren.

Again , I just want to pound this idea home. Safety first , last and always. Going through life with a accident that could have been easily prevented with knowledge is priceless. Cars/machinery/ farm equipment can kill or maim you very quickly.
ALLWAYS make your last connection to ground away from the ground terminal on the battery.

I knew of a friend who was jump starting a car leaning over the battery. His face was less than a foot away when the battery blew up. He was alone. He could not see with the acid in his eyes. He groped and felt his way to the front door of his house by feeling the small walkway. Groped his way to the kitchen sink. Flushed his eyes out with tons of water. Luckily he had no long term damage. Very lucky.

Very glad you were not hurt Trapper Dahlgren .
Posted By: JoeRJr

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 01:04 AM

Doesn't happen every day, but if you work on cars long enough you eventually get to see one pop. Glad you were out of the way when it happened. It looks like it really scattered!
Joe
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 01:29 AM

I have had a few blow like that. One in a boat that knocked me over board.

Worst one though was a very large batt. on utility vehicle at a federal prison. Like a HD golf cart truck type thing. That one exploded while moving close to 1000 lbs. of bird crap we had loaded on it. LOL Entire facility went into lock down because of the sound of the explosion. Tossed the driver right out of his seat onto the ground. I was told to stand still and not move toward the guy on the ground. Caused quite the scene in short order.
Posted By: brianmall

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 01:32 AM

Yup

Just had one pop

Took out the head light assembly and windshield washer reservoir.

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 01:35 AM

Very good thread. Hoping some of our younger less experienced members take heed.

Preventing even ONE Tman member from a lifelong injury is worth more than all of Tman past , present and future.

No offence, Paul.
Posted By: redsnow

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 01:46 AM

Yes, keep that in mind this winter while jump starting.

Lady acted like she got upset the other day when I told her to get outta the way. And keep the kids outta the way too.

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by redsnow
Yes, keep that in mind this winter while jump starting.

Lady acted like she got upset the other day when I told her to get outta the way. And keep the kids outta the way too.

2 points for you.
No , wait , that's at least a 3 pointer.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 01:51 AM

I was taught to connect the negative cable on the dead car to a ground instead of the negative terminal itself, but never knew why. I had no idea it was to prevent blowing the battery up. Good to know!
Posted By: Coon Duke

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 01:56 AM

Overcharged a battery in my shop and cooked it. All the copper tags of the traps in my shop changed color. Lesson learned.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 02:52 AM

Yep. During an attempt to jump the battery. Luck was with me and I didn't get a scratch. The battery looked like the one pictured. Now I am like an old maid when hooking up a set of jumper cables. I ALWAYS turn my head!

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by J.Morse
I ALWAYS turn my head!

Good practice. I learned to do this in a factory/industrial job. They spent a lot on training , it's a good thing. Whenever you are energizing /reenergizing something with a fair amount of electricity behind it and cutting the power with electrical panels/disconnects , at the last moment before you push the switch/ button , turn your head to the side. Things could arc/flash over. It takes less than a second for that to happen.

Current place I am working at , they look at me funny when I do this. The heck with them , I'm smarter , they can make jokes/ sneer all they want , I don't care.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 03:05 AM

Yes. 3 times over the years. I was lucky enough to be wearing my sunglasses on all three occasions. Not a fun deal! I cringe every time I put a set of jumpers on
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 09:08 AM

Pawnee I only had it happen once but I agree I also cringe when ever I am using jumper cables to try to start another car!
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 11:48 AM

I have jump started hundreds of batteries and never thought twice about it , I will never look at it the same way again !!! I was lucky
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler
Yep, had one blow up in my face. I was jumping it at the time. I am 99.99% sure I did not have them hooked up backwards.

I was at a lumber yard and had just bought some lumber when my truck wouldn't start. I felt the acid on my face and arms starting to burn and I said I needed some water and an employee took me into the bathroom there where I was able to wash off. After that they drove me to the parts store and I bought a new battery.

I would have driven to the ER....wow
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/17/19 04:34 PM

Take off the negative cable first to avoid sparking is what I was told!
Posted By: Sliprig

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/18/19 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Boco

Spark possibly from a poor connection. Terminals look pretty dirty. Someone mention vents, all batteries have them. Even "sealed batteries". Anytime you charge or discharge a battery it "gasses", the closer to full charge or overcharged the more available gas. All it needs then is a spark, an arc from poor connection or even a broken plate/cell connector internally. We charged 20+ batteries in a series at work and all it takes is one to start a chain reaction. I have repaired posts on batteries with a mold, lead stick and a torch. A lost art, I was trained by a WWII vet that worked in Uncle Sam's motor pool. Man was amazing! RIP Bill. Key being to clear all the cells of gas. No gas no problem. Always wear eye protection, their not making new ones yet.

Slip
Posted By: foxx1

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/19/19 01:12 AM

broken plate inside that caused a short,they corrode to a point they get thin and break off. wher two opposite plates touch.,dead short.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/19/19 01:44 AM

Had one blow up...after charging it ,in a 1970 Camaro SS.....what a sound ! Just that one in all the years I’ve been working on cars.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/19/19 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
I have jump started hundreds of batteries and never thought twice about it , I will never look at it the same way again !!! I was lucky

All 3 of mine were on irrigation wells. 2 while jumping and one that just went when I hit the start button. Most irrigation battery’s are a crotch level so it’s a wonderful experience!! Most farm wells have no protection against overcharging, so that’s one reason I have more experience with things going boom.
Posted By: danvee

Re: ever have a battery do this - 11/19/19 02:41 AM

Always pull off the caps when charging and unhook the negative cable first. Charging in a closed space can be a bad situation because of gas build up.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums