Home

Trap boiling pot

Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Trap boiling pot - 10/20/19 01:37 PM

I know many many threads exist, I have got great Ideas from them that worked well. I kinda needed a larger pot but still wanted to use the turkey fryer for speed and convenience. I ran across a old upright shallow well pressure tank, heavy and about 25 gallons. I cut the top off, it had a drain 3/4 threaded hole to drain, added a drain pipe with valve. The absolute best part is the bottom is very dished, at least 6 inches deep, like a big upside down wok. It sets on the burner nice. I have never boiled water so quick or been able to turn down flame to maintain simmer like this dished bottom kettle. I always enjoyed trap prep, just bragging on this old kettle. One other thing I tried that worked is using a wire fish basket to put my walnuts and sumac in. Dump traps in put basket on top, remove basket with most all nuts and matter and remove traps mostly free of debris.
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Trap boiling pot - 10/20/19 01:42 PM

Good going, very self rewarding when you come up with something different that works !!
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Trap boiling pot - 10/20/19 01:57 PM

The fish basket is a great idea!
Posted By: Mercer Lawing

Re: Trap boiling pot - 10/20/19 02:13 PM

Ya sounds like the new pot will work well.

I had this Stainless Steel pot I made years ago for waxing the fronts of my cage traps.

Don't use it for that much anymore so the other day I added some legs and a notch in one end for floating off old wax and stuff.

I like to boil with Lye occasionally and my other boil pot is a giant Aluminum industrial kitchen pot and the Lye is pretty hard on it. This Stainless one should work well for that.

I guess water still boils in a rectangle eh?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Trap boiling pot - 10/20/19 05:45 PM

Mercer We had a similar idea .I can boil and dye all my traps in the one I had made at one time .It heats up quick with the lid on .And it will last as log as I will ever use it .It was a little costly but it was worth it to me .I figure someone can use it for some thing when I am gone . Mine will out last [Linked Image]
me most likely
Posted By: rednecktrapper

Re: Trap boiling pot - 10/20/19 08:12 PM

I love trap cookers! I think the biggest trick is having a lid, even if it is just a piece of plywood.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Trap boiling pot - 10/20/19 08:16 PM

Holds everything from #1s to cage traps, weed tourch heats the drum and the wax goes on the other side of the drum so the tip of the flame heat that at the same time. Dye, dip and set on clean cardboard do a lot of traps in a day.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Trap boiling pot - 10/20/19 11:17 PM

Lots of ways to get the job done They all have good points .I wanted mind low to get the heat get there in just a short time , Looks like all the others do the same thing . rednecktrapper yours is a,most to nice to use.I agree having a lid makes it heat faster .And when I put that old aluminium roofing material on the sides to keep the heat right under tank it help me even more with heating faster
© 2024 Trapperman Forums