Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 09:12 PM

Anyone can fall on hard times but that doesn’t sound good
Posted By: Moose maniac

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 09:20 PM

[quote=Actor][Linked Image]
Sounding more and more like the end of NAFA will be coming sooner than later
Posted By: Catcollector

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 09:20 PM

got that same lame email too, how did they finance my fur check, it wasn't theirs to spend or use it's mine?... Can I get my furs back that were consigned and not sold?
Posted By: Dirt

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 09:23 PM

I'll keep shipping just to help them out.
Posted By: trapper234

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 09:23 PM

Trade in gold from now on.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 09:24 PM

Has anybody considered a class action suit against NAFA on behalf of the consigners?... This stinks of illegal

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 09:25 PM

Go for it DIRT I'm done w/ their BS

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Catcollector
Has anybody considered a class action suit against NAFA on behalf of the consigners?... This stinks of illegal

You will be suing yourself.
Posted By: trapper les

Originally Posted by Dirt

Where is the like button ?

Hey DIRT how much volume you got there?

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 09:27 PM

I still have an uncashed check. I might frame it.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 09:28 PM

a couple road kill weasel and a house cat

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 09:28 PM

Hey DIRT how much volume you got there?

I only got my rebate from 2014 there plus a some lost weasels. I baled early.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 09:29 PM

Or are you that guy that skins squirrels for .25

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 09:30 PM

Just shut trunk up then
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 09:31 PM

I think the only folks that would benefit from this would be the lawyers, on both sides. Lawsuits are expensive,especially since you would be dealing across borders.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 09:32 PM

Hey Les I'll be framing mine as well maybe have it laminated and send to Groeny to slap on his rig...
Posted By: Prn

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 09:35 PM

Interesting how it went from a simple misunderstanding during a bank switch, to now they are looking for financing. This doesn't look promising.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by trapper les

Where is the like button ?

It's right above your common sense button les, you ain't found that one so there's no hope lol. grin
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 09:58 PM

I'm shocked!! I thought someone on here (or two) said it was all just bad gossip and not to worry..... or is this just another accidental mistake again that will be taken care of.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 10:08 PM

Well that explains boco departure ......and now you have the rest of the story
Posted By: rex123

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 10:13 PM

Not what they were saying at first is it.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 11:09 PM

Did anybody receive their shipping tags for this coming season yet?
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 11:10 PM

I guess they printed them checks out fully knowing they weren't no good?

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 11:13 PM

As a result, in February 1987, the Hudson’s Bay Company sold the Canadian fur auction business to the Canadian Fur Division management group and its supporting fur producer groups, Canada Mink Breeders Association (CMBA) and Canada Fox Breeders Association (CFBA). The new company was named Hudson’s Bay Fur Sales Canada Inc. and continued the 300-year tradition of Hudson’s Bay in the fur trade.

In June 1989, the company also purchased Hudson’s Bay Company’s New York auction business, and operated it out of the New York area under the name Hudson’s Bay Fur Sales New York Inc.

With the purchase of the New York auction, the American Mink Council (AMC), the mink breeder organization in the U.S.A which supported the auction, became partners with CMBA and CFBA in the ownership of the business in 1992. The Company also changed its name in 1992 to North American Fur Producers Marketing Inc. and the combined auction activities of the two companies are now conducted under the trade name “North American Fur Auctions.”

Today
On May 2, 2000, exactly 330 years after the issuing of the charter of Incorporation for the original Hudson’s Bay Company, the NAFA Wild Fur Shippers Council (WFSC), representing the ownership interest of Canadian and American trappers, completed the circle with the purchase of shares in NAFA.

NAFA is 100% owned by these four producer groups.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 11:24 PM

The American Mink Council (AMC) is a not for profit organization representing American mink ranchers that joined the North American Fur Producers Inc (NAFPI) in 1992 to become part owners of NAFA and hold seats on the NAFA Board of Directors.

The European Fur Farmers Council (EFFC) represents and is made up of European mink ranchers. Although the EFFC is not a shareholder of North American Fur Producers Inc., it holds a seat with voting privileges on the NAFA Board of Directors.

The Canada Mink Breeders Association (CMBA) is a non-profit association that was founded in 1952 and is comprised of Canadian mink farmers. The CMBA is a member of the North American Fur Producers Inc. by which NAFA is owned and hold seats on the NAFA Board or Directors.

The Canada Fox Breeders Association (CFBA) is a part owner of North American Fur Auctions Inc. and a non-profit organization designed to represent the interests of Canadian ranched fox producers

NAFA established the North American Wild Fur Shippers Council (NAWFSC) in the Fall of 1996 to enhance the working relationship between the company and its wild fur producers. The North American Wild Fur Shippers Council gives trappers a strong voice in NAFA’s operations and is a meaningful way of making that partnership even stronger. Today, the North American Wild Fur Shippers Council leadership consists of an eight-member Board of Directors, collectively representing a vast amount of experience acquired through direct participation at every level of the trapping industry across North America.

North American Fur Producers Inc is a privately held company in Etobicoke, ON and is a Headquarters business.
Categorized under Bank Holding Companies. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of 7964800 and employs a staff of approximately 66.

Holding companies may protect a business owner's interests by minimizing exposure to risk and by keeping creditors at a distance all the while reaping the benefits of the operating company's goodwill. Subject to certain rules, you can remove cash from an exposed operating company to a holding company on a tax free basis. Business owners can take risks through the operating company and limit risk to the operating company alone rather than exposing the holding company. This is because the holding company performs no transactions and therefore does not move cash and other assets around. The holding company is exposed to risk only to the extent of its investment in the operating company. If a holding company lends money to the operating company, it can secure the debt and become a secured creditor of the holding company. This gives the holding company priority when it is time for the debt to be repaid.

Posted By: waggler

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 11:26 PM

So does this mean I shouldn't expect to receive my Top Lot hat anytime soon?
Posted By: kingrat

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by grumley701
Well that explains boco departure ......and now you have the rest of the story

I heard boco and herman Jensen are on a yacht somewhere over by China.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by lumberjack391

That is not true. They printed and mailed the checks assuming the bank would cover them, as they have for the past how many sales. The bank pulled the plug when the account ran out of cash, contrary to the financial arrangements NAFA had with the bank. True story.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 11:41 PM

laugh

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/19/19 11:48 PM

What account ran out of cash?
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 12:02 AM

NAFA must have lost my e-mail address. I don't get these "updates" anymore. I guess I'll have to re-work my 2018/19 coon averages, the last 6 sold are just AWOL and now presumed lost.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by wissmiss

That is not true. They printed and mailed the checks assuming the bank would cover them, as they have for the past how many sales. The bank pulled the plug when the account ran out of cash, contrary to the financial arrangements NAFA had with the bank. True story.

In the USA its a crime for a sale company working off of commission to ever be short funds in the custodial account since it's the customer's money.

Ps the bank covered the checks in the past because the WAS money in the account....
Posted By: wr otis

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 12:47 AM

The question still seems to be "what" are they financing? Are they putting out large sums of advances to mink ranchers?

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 01:13 AM

When NAFA sells fur on commission the money for the pelt minus the commission, fees and any other deduction is the customer's not NAFA's. So that money that is the customer's money from the time of sale is put in a custodial account (because it's not NAFA's its legally the fur sellers but NAFA is the custodian of it until the owner claims it by cashing the check) and when the customer's money doesnt make it into that account it's considered stolen by law. Bank's cant even touch that money because it's the customer's. NAFA going broke is one thing the CUSTOMER'S being gone is stealing the way I see it.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 01:27 AM

I said that on another page days ago but wissmiss and others straightened me out......

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 01:32 AM

How many trust attorneys have ended up going to jail and/or being de-barred because they "borrowed" from their client's accounts. "But I was going to pay it back, I swear!..."

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 01:43 AM

Question? Being a business don't they have accountants that are supposed to keep track of that sort of thing? And also in their letter they said what happened to there new plan wasn't important but I would think in view of what has happened they should explain to you guys what is going on. I wonder about small buyers that sell most of what they buy up there. How hard in view of this will it be to get a good price this year.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 01:52 AM

I said that on another page days ago but wissmiss and others straightened me out......

I've spend the majority of life in the auction business, I'm not sure of the laws in Canada but bet they are similar, and I doubt a company that large could get by without a separate custodial account.
Posted By: mink99

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 01:55 AM

I am sounding the alarm. Nafa's done. Heard the electricity was shut off. There broke. Can't squeeze blood from a turnip. No money to pay back bad checks either.
Posted By: trapperne

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 02:04 AM

Has anybody checked on coonman?

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 02:09 AM

Hey Les I'll be framing mine as well maybe have it laminated and send to Groeny to slap on his rig...

Sure, why not, lol
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 02:26 AM

And what of unsold fur they supposedly have ??
Posted By: jarrett

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 02:26 AM

Yes Sir, google Plainville Kansas Livestock Auction, same deal happened there this year. Its ugly and only going to get uglier for those that have bad checks. There talking the guys that sold cattle that day may at best get 20 cents on the dollar when all is said and done.
Posted By: trapper124

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 02:31 AM

How do I get shipping tags from FHA? Never sold through them
Posted By: Iowagian

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 02:35 AM

You know what happens when you assume right? That’s like me mailing a check for my mortgage knowing I had no cash in my checking account and hoping my bank would cover for me until payday. If that’s how NAFA was being run it deserves to die. If I receive my promised check in early November I’ll be shocked.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by jarrett
Yes Sir, google Plainville Kansas Livestock Auction, same deal happened there this year. Its ugly and only going to get uglier for those that have bad checks. There talking the guys that sold cattle that day may at best get 20 cents on the dollar when all is said and done.

Haven't been following it that close but did hear about it when it first went down and charges were filed. It's happened at a couple of other barns in Ks in my lifetime. My now X brother in law got caught playing loose with the custodial account once, he had enough money to cover the "mistake " at the time so no charges just a stout fine.
Posted By: TRAPPER-ED

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 02:39 AM

this is not good for any of us, just sad to see , my 90 year old dad my be right about the fur market that it will never come back to what it was , end is coming soon .
Posted By: caldwellite

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 02:48 AM

May be time for local groups and or the NTA to get involved.
Posted By: Bob

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by TRAPPER-ED
this is not good for any of us, just sad to see , my 90 year old dad my be right about the fur market that it will never come back to what it was , end is coming soon .

Markets are always evolving and changing. The trappers and fur farmers who learn to adapt with the market will do well.
Posted By: cat catcher

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 03:12 AM

Why did the direct deposits all go through but not the cheque’s if the broke?
Posted By: Bob

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 03:13 AM

It’s possible that this could be a good thing for trappers. Buyers that once bought at nafa auctions may now come to state association run auctions to fill orders, bringing commissions to our local associations instead of nafa, giving them more cash to promote and defend the fur business from anti trapping laws.

I’m just a dumb roustabout though, I’m probably wrong.
Posted By: Catpincher

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 03:13 AM

wonder what kind of bonuses management has pulled out of the business in the last two or three years? Gibb sure has been quiet on here ,where is he? I sure wanted to long line this Fall for Coyotes now I don't know. I sure hope not to many buyers and trappers/hunters were wiped out by this.
Posted By: Actor

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by 3 Fingers
And what of unsold fur they supposedly have ??

The next letter that will come to us will be that their electricity was accidently shut off and all of the fur fur they have been holding in the freezers spoiled and they had to put them in dumpsters and have them hauled off to the landfill.

Here is a word that comes to mind after reading the series of BS letters they have put out in the last 3 or 4 months ………………..

What is the meaning of 'kiting'?

Kiting is the fraudulent use of a financial instrument such as a check to obtain additional credit that is not authorized. There are two variants of kiting: The act of misrepresenting the value of a financial instrument for the purpose of extending credit obligations or increasing financial leverage.

Garry-
Posted By: red mt

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 03:22 AM

Well if you ever shipped up there ever or not this is going to have a effect on your wallet.
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 03:27 AM

Have you ever read a NAFA report that wasn't total BS? It's not called NAFAese for nothing. "Increased clearance at new levels"= we dumped your fur for nothing, but we still get the drumming fee. And we'll make you an offer you can't refuse- the NAFA magazine.
Posted By: AJE

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by TRAPPER-ED
this is not good for any of us .
x2

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by mink99
I am sounding the alarm. Nafa's done. Heard the electricity was shut off. There broke. Can't squeeze blood from a turnip. No money to pay back bad checks either.

Where did you hear that?? I don’t think that is 100% true.

NAFA is a tough spot now but I honestly believe they are trying their darnedst toget this resolved.

As to where the money is and why banks are involved, see my post on another thread about prompt date and buyers accounts not paid in full, etc.

If you know all of the facts and understand how the fur auctions operate, you would understand what caused the current situation.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 05:15 AM

If the buyers still have the same need for our furs, this might not be as bad as it first seems. Those using NAFA will just have to use another outlet to get their furs to the buyers.

I don't think any trapper, who knows of this mess, will ship to NAFA this year.

I sadly suspect that the trappers who NAFA owes, will at best likely get a tiny fraction of what they are owed, after a long wait, as NAFA comes out of bankruptcy.

Keith

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 05:22 AM

I have not heard that NAFA is actually in bankruptcy. They are still trying to work this out.

To say that NAFA is done. That NAFA is bankrupt. Is only adding fuel to the fire.

I for one am willing to give them more time to work this out. And yes, i do “have skin in the game.”.
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 05:41 AM

Where did you hear that?? I don’t think that is 100% true.

NAFA is a tough spot now but I honestly believe they are trying their darnedst toget this resolved.

As to where the money is and why banks are involved, see my post on another thread about prompt date and buyers accounts not paid in full, etc.

If you know all of the facts and understand how the fur auctions operate, you would understand what caused the current situation.

[/quote]Here is one of the things that got NAFA in trouble. At every sale there is a prompt date. This is the date that all accounts SHOULD be settled by.

On prompt date (or just before), NAFA pays every shipper that had fur sell at that sale. Shippers are PAID IN FULL.

According to Conditions of Sale for all buyers, if they are unable to pay their account in full by prompt date, they must make a 35% deposit to hold their purchases. Then they have a certain amount of time to make the rest of the payment. They pay interest on the balance they owe.

Many buyers do not pay for their purchases in full be prompt date. They basically finance their purchases through NAFA. This is standard procedure at all fur auction companies.

So let’s look at some numbers - hypothetical numbers for simplicity sake. Keep in mind these are SAMPLE numbers.

NAFA sells 30 million dollars worth of fur at a sale. Assuming there is a 10% sellers commission and no other fees. That means that NAFA owes the shippers 27 million dollars.

Some of the buyers pay their bill in full - say they pay 10 million in full. The other 20 million of sales is financed with a 35% deposit. That works out to 13 million dollars worth of goods that were bought but not fully paid for by the buyers.

But NAFA still has to pay out that 13 million on prompt date. Despite what manymof you think, NAFA doesn’t have that kind of cash sitting around.

This is where the banks come in. NAFA had a long standing agreement with a major bank to cover this extra 13 million that NAFA has to pay out. This arrangement has/had been in place for a number of years. For what ever reason and without notice, after the bank had paid out whatever money NAFA had in their account, the bank said “ Thats It” and they stopped covering/honoring NAFA checks and thatnis why shippers checks bounced.

NAFA is working tirelessly with other banks to come up with a new arrangement. They are not taking this situation lightly.

No one at NAFA stole your money. They didn’t spend it on fancy cars or luxury vacations. They had the rug pulled out from under them by their bank.

A lot of you still won’t understand the entire situation but it is as I’ve explained above.

NOTE - I am not a NAFA employee. I am a long time customer that is as concerned about this as all of you.
[quote]

Wissmiss:

You gave a good explanation of how things work with NAFA. But, having been to many auctions through the years, whether it be Real Estate, Estate auctions, or Fur Auctions; there are a few important things I have learned.

1. Nothing sold at an auction is to leave the auction site , until paid for in full. When NAFA sold the furs to the winning bidders, did those bidders take possession of those furs prior to paying for them in full ?

2. Since NAFA buyers finance their fur purchases through NAFA, and the bank that worked with NAFA pulled the plug with the financing; how is NAFA going to get those furs back from the buyers, assuming the buyers already have the furs in their possession ?

3. The financing part: Those buyers should have come to the NAFA auction with their own financing already in place. Not expect NAFA to do it.

4, If NAFA still has furs left unsold in their auction house, is there any recourse for the Trappers and Fur buyers that shipped furs to NAFA , to get them returned if worst case happens that NAFA is unable to secure financing ?

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 05:44 AM

I have not heard that NAFA is actually in bankruptcy. They are still trying to work this out.

To say that NAFA is done. That NAFA is bankrupt. Is only adding fuel to the fire.

I for one am willing to give them more time to work this out. And yes, i do “have skin in the game.”.

I will gladly eat crow if what I am saying is wrong. But to answer where I heard this from, well, I basically heard this from nafa.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 06:19 AM

1. Goods do not leave the NAFA warehouse until they are paid for in full. That is in the conditions of sale. I have no idea if they make exceptions to that or not. I know of in most cases, the goods sit there until they are paid for. And the buyers are charged interest and some times storage.

2. The unpaid for pelts are still at a NAFA facility. At some point they can be reoffered for sale but since this has all happened fairly recently and if the buyer has paid a deposit, NAFA is obligated to hold those unpaid for goods as per the condition of sale. They can’t just decide on the spur of the moment to resell them.

3. As far as financing goes, remember that many of these buyers are from countries other than the US or Canada. Countries such as Russia, China, Korea, Greece. Maybe it is easier for them to finance through NAFA than it is through an instruction in their country.

4. I don’t know the answer to that question. In the case of dealer goods that aren’t intersorted,it should be fairly easy to return them. In the case of intetsorted goods, since everything is bar coded, it would be possible to figure out which pelts belong to which shipper. Figuring that out would be tedious and time consuming but it could be done.

IF in fact NAFA is done, then the courts will step in and they most likely will have the final say as to what happens to the unsold inventory. In theory, those pelts belong to the shipper. Who knows how the courts will see it.

Mink99 - guess I must have talked to a different person at NAFA. What I heard is that they are still trying to work things out with a different bank.

I like what I heard better than what you heard. smile
Posted By: AJE

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 08:29 AM

I wonder if the details of how NAFA operates is similar to FHA's rules and procedures

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
I wonder if the details of how NAFA operates is similar to FHA's rules and procedures

Probably. Which of FHA’s rules / procedures are you referring to?
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 10:11 AM

And even now some will defend their actions as though they did nothing wrong. Anyone who sends fur to them now will be shown to be a fool. Those defending them almost certainly did not get a bad check..LLL
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 10:48 AM

If they cant get a line of credit its because banks don't like the way they are doing business. Banks are in business to loan money. Usury is their business plan. If they don't make loans they don't profit. Like every other business they exist only to profit. Banks WANT to loan money. I don't understand why an auction company would be in the loan business. If that isn't a risky endeavor what is? Loan money that was borrowed from another business?

It is pretty simple to me. We are all human and make mistakes. I hope NAFA gets lined back out. I hope they have some better ideas now.
I am losing optimism though. What happened to "you will get your money in OCT".?

How do you charge buyer commissions, seller commissions, drumming fees, magazine fees, and c.i.t.e.s. fees but still can't pay your bills. All this talk about its other peoples fault is nonsense. NAFA is responsible for poor business decisions. Not a bank, not a mink farm or anyone else.

It is entirely possible that the bank pulled the rug because NAFA is in the fur business. Something many folks consider immoral and there is a combined effort among many banks to quit doing business with firearm and or fur related business. Plenty will though. If the rug were pulled because of moral belief there would still be banks more than happy to extend a line of credit so long as they thought profit would be the result.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 10:53 AM

worst thing you can do is lie to me,even if you consider it just bending the truth,i don't.
Posted By: Flipper

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 10:55 AM

Fact is if NAFA goes under the value of this years catch will go down. All fur buyers will be lowering there offers because of uncertainty in the market. It is in everybody’s best interest for nafa To survive this same problem can happen to every major fur buyer as they all operate on credit
Posted By: mainer

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 01:39 PM

Like danny said, there are troubling reasons why the banks are avoiding or have bailed on NAFA. Those reasons are likely unique to NAFA's financial situation and not the fur industry as a whole. So far, we have no indication that NAFA's problems are anything more than NAFA's problems. In other words, it's not good news for the industry because it may lose a major player, but that does not -- by itself -- signify the fur industry is following the same path.

By the way, the bankruptcy rumors over the summer might have had more legs to them than we thought.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 02:00 PM

It has been said that furs do not leave the NAFA warehouse until they are paid for.So they either were paid for YOUR furs and something happened to the money or they have YOUR furs and under the state of affairs should send them back.Years ago I worked in the auction trade and nobody left with the merchandise until it was paid for.
Posted By: bad karma

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Chapel
Have you ever read a NAFA report that wasn't total BS? It's not called NAFAese for nothing. "Increased clearance at new levels"= we dumped your fur for nothing, but we still get the drumming fee. And we'll make you an offer you can't refuse- the NAFA magazine.

Never and I have been at this for a long time. NAFA could make $ teaching politicians how to lie out both sides of their mouth at the same time.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 05:21 PM

So I keep seeing that buyers can put down 35% and finance the rest and if they don't pay in full, NAFA keeps the fur. They've already paid (or at least written a check, good or bad) the trapper on the prompt date, but what about when the buyer doesn't pay the remaining 65% and NAFA keeps the fur? I imagine they offer it for sale again to try and recoup their loss. Now NAFA has paid trappers with money they dont have. That doesn't work for long. I don't know how often it happens that buyers don't pay up, but if it happens even a few times, that puts them in a tight spot.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 05:26 PM

NAFA does not lose in your above deal They win. They get to keep the 35% and sell the fur again for 100% of it's value.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 05:29 PM

I get that, but they've already paid out the missing 65%, and have to hold that fur until the next auction of hope it sells PT. In the meantime, they must have financed that money they paid out to trappers that wasn't paid by the buyer. Right? Their inventory is flush, but they're cash poor.
Posted By: wr otis

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 06:27 PM

Wonder how many dealers are going to be in a bind over this.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Prn
Interesting how it went from a simple misunderstanding during a bank switch, to now they are looking for financing. This doesn't look promising.

PANTS ON FIRE !!!! NAFA!!!! frown

w
Posted By: Rifle 1

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by wr otis
Wonder how many dealers are going to be in a bind over this.

Read Terry Manleys post on facebook this morning. Sad

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 06:55 PM

BOHICA frown

w

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed

BOHICA frown

w

Schadenfreude. Turn that frown upside down. smile
Posted By: Top Jimmy

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 07:21 PM

From what I have read here and other places, it sounds like a cash flow squeeze when the buyers didn't pay up on time but they still had to pay trappers. NAFA can charge all they want in fees and interest to the seller who doesn't pay on time, but if they don't ever pay, it doesn't mean anything really.

My guess, and this is only a guess, is the bank that usually put up their syndicated line of credit didn't like the credit worthiness of the buyers that were supposed to pay and NAFA doesn't have the horsepower to do it all on its own, so didn't want to renew the line until that gets sorted out. Sounds like NAFA went to another bank to arrange the line, and it didn't happen in time. I would assume they are still negotiating. I would think they would get this sorted out and probably require buyers coming in to post letters of credit from their bankers to support their purchases going forward. This adds expense to everything, but it also makes sure that everyone gets paid. Especially when you are dealing with buyers from all sorts of different countries.

Not sure Canada, but in the US, going into bankruptcy could actually help until they get it sorted out under a reorganization. I would doubt they would go into bankruptcy under a liquidation. So far it doesn't sound like they have done that, so I suspect they still have the ability to make an arrangement with the new bank and be in business going forward.

I guess we will see.

-TJ

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 07:24 PM

i heard it was Trumps fault.
Posted By: Coon Duke

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 07:41 PM

In my mind it all boils down to...

NAFA is in financial trouble

NAFA generates revenue by commission

The depressed market coupled with the assumption that the effect of this will be less sellers shipping will reduce their revenue even more.

I can’t see them getting out of this without an improving fur market (and there’s no sign of that).

Presently, the industry is probably in its “Great Depression”. I’m no historian, but has there every been a worse time?
Posted By: Boco

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 08:23 PM

NAFA's problems all started with Walleyed getting a free dvd from Jim Gibb.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/20/19 08:26 PM

don't forget the informative newsletter.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
NAFA's problems all started with Walleyed getting a free dvd from Jim Gibb.

Gibb never did give me a Free DVD.

Gibb wanted my name and address and I wouldn't give it to him.

Gibb was mad because I didn't want that International Trapper rag at $10.00 a pop.

Looks like Gibb should have stayed at FHA.

BOCO, where have you been hiding ?

w

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 12:46 AM

FHA will have to hire back a few graders laid off at nafa to handle the extra fur.
I got booted for bad language,just normal canuck talk but offensive to some.Have to be more politically correct on here.
I keep forgetting this aint Canada.
Posted By: coonman220

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 01:30 AM

Ranch market is to blame, I guessing 70 per cent nafa bussiness is ranch
Posted By: wallfur

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 01:33 AM

poor management is to blame!
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 01:38 AM

Welcome back, BOCO.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 01:43 AM

Nafa is so broke that they can't pay bills of a few hundred dollars. I mean there is basically no money to be had. Also found out that nafa lied about how much wealth they had in the first place.
Posted By: MO Ricky

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 01:48 AM

I just hope all the guys that said "ship to nafa and cut the middle man out" had a great big load on this last sale. And hope you try it again this season.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by MO Ricky
I just hope all the guys that said "ship to nafa and cut the middle man out" had a great big load on this last sale. And hope you try it again this season.

Why is that ? I only had 1 coon leftover an bunch possums. They might figgure it out yet, but how long ? If they get this straighten out, possibly ship them again,if they dont or even if do, I wonder what happen fur prices? If not straighten out soon, or not at all, I can see prices going much lower with uncertain markets.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 02:17 AM

Why the spite? Were you a one-time buyer that got burned by trappers shipping to NAFA to get a higher price than local wholesale...? That's why I started to ship. I thought my last local guy (about an hour's drive away) was a good guy but didn't see why he should double what he got for my finished mrat skins by just re-bagging them. That was pretty good coin for 10 minutes of work...
Posted By: Actor

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 03:38 AM

From the conversation that is on-going... that if NAFA has played by the rules they set down... then NAFA is guilty of poor money management. I believe if I were a large investor NAFA, I would be trying to get a court ordered forensic audit of their books for at least the last 5 years if not 10. I thought it was suspicious earlier in the year when several of their top people left. We must remember that they have been doing more than selling fur. How many millions of dollars did they spend with trips around the world to showcase furs and too try to teach people how to Beaver etc.? I can't imagine how many millions they spent of this action. In this advertising venture alone, they would have had to pay for much of this up front … where did those millions come from?

My conclusion is therefore Kiting and Poor Money management. I don't personally know any of these people at NAFA, so I can't vouche for them either way, But I do know that sometimes Good people do bad things.

I would also add to that... that the rumors of Bankruptcy were likely leaks, but fact.

Garry-
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by coonman220
Originally Posted by MO Ricky

Why is that ? I only had 1 coon leftover an bunch possums. They might figgure it out yet, but how long ? If they get this straighten out, possibly ship them again,if they dont or even if do, I wonder what happen fur prices? If not straighten out soon, or not at all, I can see prices going much lower with uncertain markets.

If I were you coonman I would stay away from NAFA and their creative financing. You do as you see fit. They got the last fur from me

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 02:10 PM

Long wait for all money but coon are good prices at nafa. No clue as to prices this season now, since this happen
Posted By: The Beav

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 02:34 PM

In just hate to have only one selling venue. Good old groney will know have us by the short hairs.
Posted By: bodycount

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 02:53 PM

I got hooked on NAFA and WFSC a few years ago when I unexpectedly got $13 for rats. Found it interesting to see how everything graded out and etc. It was a hobby. Something to do as am retired. I think I will find another hobby. The whole situation (except canines) is not worth the effort.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by bodycount
I got hooked on NAFA and WFSC a few years ago when I unexpectedly got $13 for rats. Found it interesting to see how everything graded out and etc. It was a hobby. Something to do as am retired. I think I will find another hobby. The whole situation (except canines) is not worth the effort.

X2

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 08:07 PM

If nafa goes down the tubes , I think prices elsewhere with others well also go down tubes

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 08:09 PM

NAFA has 2 sales scheduled for 2020,March and July.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 08:54 PM

sell the fur at one and the property at the other.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2

laugh

Chris

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2

I call dibs on the 30 second long haired fur drumming machine.

$2.00 a piece for 30 seconds work is my type of get rich quick scheme !!! laugh

w
Posted By: brymoore

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 10:34 PM

Bankruptcy might save NAFA at this point. It’ll give them a chance to right the ship. It’d screw you bounced check trappers, though.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 11:06 PM

They will have 2 sales next year, buildings and contents...….
Posted By: furgotten

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 11:14 PM

Maybe the goberment will bail em out !

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/21/19 11:21 PM

Possible if the libs retain power.
No chance if the conservatives take over.
Posted By: decoys88

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/22/19 12:48 AM

Where wild fur is concerned it is a commission and fee based business. I doubt the majority of trappers are taking advances on fur. It is not like NAFA is subject to increase prices of raw materials that affect their bottom line. I just can’t see how a business based on that model can lose. Labor cost? I understand lower price fur and less of it, but would think with minimal production cost and being a commission/fee business could stay afloat. I did read where mostly ranch fur producers own NAFA and there is a lot more fronting money and business loans going on. So is it ranch fur killing NAFA? Could NAFA separate wild and ranch fur and operate them as stand alone businesses? Just trying to learn and understand. I have never shipped a fur only sold locally. Buyer closest to me has closed up shop.
Posted By: K52

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/22/19 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
In just hate to have only one selling venue. Good old groney will know have us by the short hairs.

It's a big world out there Beav, way more than one place to sell fur, you know that. Haven't sold at Nafa or Groeny for the last 3 years and done just fine, beat the average at auction on certain species every year. Just have to be willing to make the effort to ship and sell else where, for a lot of guys selling at Nafa is all about the convenience of putting everything on the truck at one stop and not knowing anywhere else to sell. All that being said I hope Nafa survives.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 01:04 AM

ttt
Posted By: thebeaverguy

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 02:03 PM

Let's hope that NAFA can get it's house in order, without bankruptcy. Losing NAFA would not be a good thing for trappers whether you ship to them or not.
Posted By: gibb

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 04:09 PM

We will have a further update this afternoon.
Jim
Posted By: The Beav

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by K52
Originally Posted by The Beav

It's a big world out there Beav, way more than one place to sell fur, you know that. Haven't sold at Nafa or Groeny for the last 3 years and done just fine, beat the average at auction on certain species every year. Just have to be willing to make the effort to ship and sell else where, for a lot of guys selling at Nafa is all about the convenience of putting everything on the truck at one stop and not knowing anywhere else to sell. All that being said I hope Nafa survives.

NAFA Is only 10 miles from my door. I hope It works out.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by gibb
We will have a further update this afternoon.
Jim

i'm firin up the commercial popcorn maker for this one boyz,hope its good news.
Posted By: humptulips

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 04:27 PM

https://www.sagafurs.com/corporate/news/saga-furs-and-nafa-enter-into-an-agreement/

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 04:28 PM

so much for it being good news huh.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 04:32 PM

Doesn't mention wild fur at all...

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 04:33 PM

guess i better get back to splittin firewood,gonna be a cold winter.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 04:35 PM

You notice that the announcement only talks about “farmers”. Mentions it several times.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the wild fur portion of NAFA. Might be the mink ranchers looking out for themselves, leaving the wild fur shippers high and dry.

Anxiously awaiting more details.
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 04:40 PM

The NAFA release mentions wild fur
Posted By: drasselt

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 04:43 PM

Fur harvesters better get more fur bags ready
Posted By: Alex the dog

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 04:46 PM

Here is the full email I received:

To: NAFA Customer

Saga Furs and North American Fur Auctions (NAFA) have today entered into an agreement to work together to secure a stable selling channel for NAFA’s customers both in Europe and North America. Utilizing its strong financial position, Saga Furs will start financing some of NAFA’s fur producing customers with immediate effect. The agreement also contemplates the integration of Saga Furs and NAFA solicitation teams in order to better serve the needs of the fur producing community in both Europe and North America.

With this agreement, Saga Furs and NAFA seek to address recent producer and market concerns as well as to provide fur producers with a solid platform through Saga Furs in which to sell their 2019 production. The combined offering will create the most versatile collection of different fur types, including mink, fox, finnraccoon and wild fur, available in the international market.

Further details about this agreement will be announced as they are finalized.

Sincerely,

Douglas Lawson
President & CEO

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 04:47 PM

Once again, a newsletter that tells me basically nothing. HELLO HELLO, what about the money they owe trappers.....

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 04:47 PM

What the heck does "Saga Furs will start financing some of NAFA’s fur producing customers with immediate effect" mean?

NAFA financing ranchers?

Dave

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 04:51 PM

Once again, a newsletter that tells me basically nothing. HELLO HELLO, what about the money they owe trappers.....

Hopefully trappers are considered "a fur producing customer".............anyone want to take bets on that one?
Posted By: k snow

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 04:54 PM

And the trappers?
Posted By: hippie

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 04:55 PM

You notice that the announcement only talks about “farmers”. Mentions it several times.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the wild fur portion of NAFA. Might be the mink ranchers looking out for themselves, leaving the wild fur shippers high and dry.

Anxiously awaiting more details.

I noticed...

Guess they didn't figure out why they went broke.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 05:01 PM

Okay so if you read the SAGA website it does not mention wild fur anywhere. So SAGA is bailing NAFA/Fur farmers out for a yet unspecified amount of money. Looks like NAFA just got bought out.

SAGA History

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Alex the dog
What the heck does "Saga Furs will start financing some of NAFA’s fur producing customers with immediate effect" mean?

NAFA financing ranchers?

Dave

Yes, NAFA financing mink ranchers was a common practice. Production loans. Feed loans, etc. when mink prices were strong, no,problem paying back the loans when the pelts sold. With low mink prices 3 years in a row - prices below costnof production - farmers couldn’t pay back the loans.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 05:35 PM

travesty for wild fur

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Alex the dog

NAFA financing ranchers?

Dave

Yes, NAFA financing mink ranchers was a common practice. Production loans. Feed loans, etc. when mink prices were strong, no,problem paying back the loans when the pelts sold. With low mink prices 3 years in a row - prices below costnof production - farmers couldn’t pay back the loans.

Thank you for the insight.

Dave
Posted By: mainer

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Saskfly
Okay so if you read the SAGA website it does not mention wild fur anywhere. So SAGA is bailing NAFA/Fur farmers out for a yet unspecified amount of money. Looks like NAFA just got bought out.

SAGA History

Bingo!

And we thought it was bad when North American mink ranchers/farmers controlled the purse strings.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 07:10 PM

Sounds like NAFA just threw wild fur trappers under the bus.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. - 10/23/19 08:07 PM

.….To save their own skin,
© 2024 Trapperman Forums