Home

NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned

Posted By: Catcollector

NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 02:26 PM

WOW, did anybody else get a proceeds check from NAFA recently? They sold a piddly few pelts of mine at give away price. I deposited the check and was not honored / returned. They took the money from my acct and charged me a bad check fee... Someone's got some explaining to do! Not happy, especially since those pelts were unsold for 2/ 3 yrs by them. If you wanna (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) off a trapper that's a good way to do it!!!! ROAR
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 02:30 PM

That's no good. There's always your association
Posted By: walleyed

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Catcollector
WOW, did anybody else get a proceeds check from NAFA recently? They sold a piddly few pelts of mine at give away price. I deposited the check and was not honored / returned. They took the money from my acct and charged me a bad check fee... Someone's got some explaining to do! Not happy, especially since those pelts were unsold for 2/ 3 yrs by them. If you wanna (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) off a trapper that's a good way to do it!!!! ROAR

Yeah,

But look at the bright side.

They only dinged you $10.00 for that International Trapper Magazine. laugh

w

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 02:34 PM

No, I unselected that shred from my acct after the first volume. Agreed, little content, minimal value....
Posted By: Dirt

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 02:35 PM

The magazine is worth ten times that amount. The latest issue explains how Certification will make you rich.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 02:37 PM

Members of both state and national... we do have accouple good sales here Prineville and Kalamath Falls smile I'll probably do that... Support the association thru those, keep the money here

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 02:39 PM

The last article I read explained how setting more traps would catch you more fur DOAH!
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 02:40 PM

Sounds like direct deposit checks cleared but mailed ones didn't???

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 02:43 PM

Since you value that scrimp so much if I can find that issue I'll sell it to you half price $50, deal?

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
The magazine is worth ten times that amount. The latest issue explains how Certification will make you rich.

ROTFFALMFAO !!! Too Funny, Dirt.

Years ago the International trapper was a publication worth getting at $10.00 a pop.

It had good fur handling & grading articles with color pics.

Now it's content is simply NAFA self promotion

and propaganda that would make Joseph Goebbels proud, all in my opinion.

Catcollector, don't blame you for opting out of the magazine.

w
Posted By: pcr2

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 02:47 PM

the free dvd's did em in.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
the free dvd's did em in.

DID SOMEBODY SAY FREE !!!!! laugh

w
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 02:51 PM

Just called the office, they will reissue checks along with fees the middle of October. 1 608 205 9200

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 02:58 PM

If they are solvent and not some bankruptcy court? I have my suspicions but will keep to myself for liability reasons.... For now, NO FUR FOR THEM!!!!

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 03:00 PM

Actually, I think the FHA $5 dollar magazine has more self promotion than the IT. Both are highly Canadiocentric.

Walleyed that grading and handling info was useful back before both Auctions had this information readily available on their websites.
Posted By: Txcoonman

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 03:02 PM

You been under a rock lol? Everyone talking about it everywhere, just a few checks with the wrong routing number on them when they switched over banks, timing was bad yes but Not due to insufficient funds

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 03:09 PM

Dishonored checks are bad business practices regardless... and no I live under a metal roof LOL

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 03:14 PM

Also where is this everyone and everywhere? I see nothing on this site. No NAFA official sent me an email... Are you a NAFA agent? How do you know so much?
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 03:18 PM

Also where is this everyone and everywhere? I see nothing on this site. No NAFA official sent me an email... Are you a NAFA agent? How do you know so much?

Some of threads got axed because people got overheated.
Posted By: concrete man

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 03:23 PM

I called the number rat master said they are taking care of it they changed banks about 10 % of the checks sent were bad two weeks to fix. As long as they get me my money I'm ok stuff happens .

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 03:27 PM

first i heard of it.will this affect coonman's bait making ability,not to mention his prepay.

whistle
Posted By: Bob

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 03:47 PM

its Obvious that NAFA has an idiot running their accounting or they simply don’t care. If they want to change banks that’s fine but to write checks out of a closed account? You’re telling me they didn’t have the wherewithal to make that account 100% solvent before switching?

That’s poor business and they won’t get any of mine because of it.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 04:02 PM

The irony of the thing is the fees will be about the same as the check... That money would have been way better spent defending fur markets than dishonored checks... But who am I to tell them how to run a business?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 04:16 PM

I just got back from Stoughton and talked to the persons In charge @ NAFA. They told me they are selling all their buildings In WI and moving lock stock and barrel to Canada. As to the checks they said they are working on It and hopefully things will be ironed out In a few weeks.
Posted By: K52

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 04:16 PM

Between writing checks on a closed account and then not covering their bad checks till a few weeks later tells me that trappers don't mean much to them and that they don't care. Not one word on their website about it either, like if they ignore it, it will go away. Wonder if I kited 10% of the checks I write if that would be ok, no wait, around here that's against the law.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 04:18 PM

What "things" will be ironed out?

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 04:22 PM

Your uddies that are In such a bundle. LOL

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I just got back from Stoughton and talked to the persons In charge @ NAFA. They told me they are selling all their buildings In WI and moving lock stock and barrel to Canada. As to the checks they said they are working on It and hopefully things will be ironed out In a few weeks.

They taking the Mexicans with them? They barely speak English, now they have to learn Canadian? frown

My udders are fine I don't deal with them LOL
Posted By: Rockfarmer

Originally Posted by Bob
its Obvious that NAFA has an idiot running their accounting or they simply don’t care. If they want to change banks that’s fine but to write checks out of a closed account? You’re telling me they didn’t have the wherewithal to make that account 100% solvent before switching?

This is spot on! I agree 100%

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 04:33 PM

When they sell the building someone should make sure they put the proceeds in the right checking account

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rockfarmer
Originally Posted by Bob

This is spot on! I agree 100%

I wish you guys wouldn't call Boco a Idiot. LOL

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 04:42 PM

When Herman and Dave left at the exact same time, Hmmmm what a coincidence? Said the 3 toed coyote...

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 04:44 PM

Dirt all those Mexicans have to stay here to hang dry wall and roof our houses. LOL

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 04:46 PM

You mean their professional fur grading staff?
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 05:10 PM

Maybe their buildings and other assets got repoed by the bank.

No NAFA people on here explaining or calming our fears. So I guess they have nothing to explain.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 05:13 PM

They explained EVERYTHING to the Beav and he says not to worry......So I would be worried LOL.
Posted By: Actor

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 05:17 PM

I keep wondering if any of the Ranch Mink sellers had any checks that Bounced? Has anyone heard?

Garry-

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 05:31 PM

A mink rancher on another site said some ranchers got bad checks.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 05:58 PM

You mean their professional fur grading staff?

Have you ever been to NAFA?
It's 10 miles from my door and I'm here to tell you neither ranch fur or wild fur Is graded by any Mexicans. It may be sorted and bar coded but that's all they do.
Posted By: brymoore

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 05:58 PM

NAFA is now selling assets?

Not a good sign financially speaking.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 06:00 PM

I just contacted Groney I think he Is putting In a bid on the NAFA facility In Stoughton.
Groney rocks
Posted By: drasselt

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 06:09 PM

I called the number rat master said they are taking care of it they changed banks about 10 % of the checks sent were bad two weeks to fix. As long as they get me my money I'm ok stuff happens .

They keep saying 10%. Wonder if that is true?
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 06:11 PM

Well I gotta hold of them this morning (was surprised they answered the phone) and they told me to mail my check back to them for reissue which I did. Wondering if that’s the last I see of it. smile
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 06:17 PM

Seems like NAFA would keep some sort of receiving depot open to process the fur to ship to Canada. Without a receiving depot in the US, how are they going to get all the fur to Canada? I don’t know the numbers but I’m willing to bet that over 50% of their volume - both wild and ranch mink - comes from the US. It isn’t practical for an individual in the US to ship raw fur to Canada. Too expensive and too much paperwork.

Could you double check to make sure your original statement is correct.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 06:20 PM

Seems to me you either bid or don't Bid. Me think me bid, what is that? Groney buys and sells furs not Rocks you must be a Rock collector? You say I live under a rock and Groney deals in rock, Wrong forum... This is about trapping and fur, not minerals.... Jus poken ya!

Wasn't that long ago NAFA offered some of Groney staff to work for them (not hear say, I was there, tempers flaired) and now it's just the opposite, what a turn of events... The sad thing is the vultures are starting to eat each other. So that is REALLY BAD for US...

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 06:25 PM

Pretty sure Beav is fishing for suckers.

BTW beav, sorting is part of the grading process. smile

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 06:32 PM

At one time they had a professional female pole dancer grading ranch mink. I applied for a job that day. LOL

I guess your right Dirt but anyone can open a box and sort out the rats from the cats and coyotes. LOL

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 06:44 PM

At one time they had a professional female pole dancer grading ranch mink. I applied for a job that day. LOL

I guess your right Dirt but anyone can open a box and sort out the rats from the cats and coyotes. LOL

Maybe that was how I had a marten grade VSL. A beaver grade. smile
Posted By: teepee2

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 07:03 PM

Beav, you don't have a Bridge in Brooklyn you want to sell do you?

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 07:52 PM

As a matter of fact I do and I also have one In Arizona. LOL

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 08:07 PM

Maybe Groeny will put a bid on both of them?
Posted By: 160user

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 08:16 PM

Beav, I never knew that you were an aspiring pole dancer. That explains some things. I always had you pegged for more of a twerker than a peeler bar employee.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 08:19 PM

Time to sell local.
Got one question for you guys that sell at NAFA. When it comes to things Walmart or some other big name sells you say support your local shops / dealers. But you still send fur to NAFA. The local country buyer is just like the small gun shop owner......He is depending on local folks to make his living.
I know each and every one of you work hard to catch your fur and want the most you can get from it. BUT that practice does sound a little hypocritical when you bad mouth someone for finding a "deal" at the big stores ......
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 08:20 PM

Buy AMERICAN SELL AMERICAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 08:39 PM

"NAFA employs over 600 seasonal and full-time staff worldwide. In addition to NAFA’s corporate head office and auction facility located in Toronto, Canada, NAFA has grading and pelt processing facilities in Stoughton, USA, and Goleniow, Poland. "

Right off the NAFA website. Must be doing it when the Beav ain't looking or it could be a lie. smile

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 10:13 PM

Just because you see a dog at the airport, doesn't mean he's flying the plane.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 10:23 PM

As far as I know the only wild fur graded at NAFA WI are coon and rats.

Unless things have changed all wild fur processing at NAFA WI Is done by private contractors. When It comes to ranch mink at NAFA WI they are fleshed and boarded and dried there. I believe they are killed and skinned at the ranch where they are raised.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 10:33 PM

If I saw a Mexican at an airport. I would assume he could be the pilot of an airplane. Why is it O.K. for Mexicans to skin, and put up ranch mink and not for them to size and grade fur? They should be able to do it with a little guidance. Gonna be cheaper than paying Canadians. Good way to cut costs and stay in business.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 11:24 PM

I don't believe nafa has graders. they just spin a wheel
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 11:29 PM

LMBO, good one Danny
Posted By: KeithC

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 09/30/19 11:33 PM

Those of you who had the checks clear, what bank were they drawn on and those of you that had checks bounce, what bank were they drawn on?

Keith

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I don't believe nafa has graders. they just spin a wheel

Well I don't know who grades coon now. But when Greg was there I doubt there was a better fur grader then him.
I have no Idea who skins mink where they are raised but no Mexican grades ranch mink at NAFA.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 12:16 AM

NAFA could have said ' If your check has xxxx routing # on, it, it should be sent back for re-issue" wouldn't you think?

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 12:19 AM

my bounced check is drawn on

CIBC
6543airport rd
Mississauga ON payable through CIBC agent in New York City NY

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 12:25 AM

how does one man grade hundreds of thousands of pelts? coons are done like coyotes and cats. where the bag is shipped from determines who grades them. in the case of cats the tag determines who does it. if you don't think so go to say west ne. ship those coyotes from east ks. then get back to me on expert graders
Posted By: nimzy

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 02:17 AM

Too funny. Grading is the backbone of this industry. Skins move sight unseen. Buyers view show bundles which contain a fraction of the pelts purchased. It comes with warranties. As it should.

This is better than open mic night.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 02:39 AM

how does one man grade hundreds of thousands of pelts? coons are done like coyotes and cats. where the bag is shipped from determines who grades them. in the case of cats the tag determines who does it. if you don't think so go to say west ne. ship those coyotes from east ks. then get back to me on expert graders

Your way off base Danny.

All fur Is sorted and bar coded then sorted by size. Then It's brought before the GRADER. He has no freeking idea where that fur came from.

I watched Greg grade 500 and some coon In a few hours. Those coon had been sorted Into totes by size so the grader only had to grade by color and primness.
And all the coyotes that come through Stoughton are bar coded then re packed and shipped to Canada to be graded. There Is no way the grader can tell where they came from. Other then they came from Stoughton. LOL
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 02:49 AM

Your way off base Danny.

All fur Is sorted and bar coded then sorted by size. Then It's brought before the GRADER. He has no freeking idea where that fur came from.

I watched Greg grade 500 and some coon In a few hours. Those coon had been sorted Into totes by size so the grader only had to grade by color and primness.
And all the coyotes that come through Stoughton are bar coded then re packed and shipped to Canada to be graded. There Is no way the grader can tell where they came from. Other then they came from Stoughton. LOL

Hey Beav,

I talked coyotes in detail with the two coyote graders NAFA sent to the PA Convention this year.

#1. The shipping agent I use in PA bar codes the fur here in PA.
#2. The graders from NAFA told me that the first sort of fur is "the fur is sorted by where it came from".
#3. I'll repeat that "they said if fur was shipped from PA it starts the grading process as Eastern Fur. So I asked "what about my Montana coyotes that I shipped from PA?". The said "those coyotes from Montana would start the process as easterns, but the graders would see that they were not easterns and move them to a western pile". If anyone thinks that this process is foolproof I have some ocean front property in AZ for sale.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 03:21 AM

Beav don't the receiving agents bar code them anymore? Mine did, and I helped him do it. Except the current agent. If the receiving agent ships bar coded fur, then the grader knows what region/agent it came from when he opens the box/bag before he starts sectioning them. They got to section coyotes first before they size them, I believe, because there are different sizes for sections. The Western section size tops out at XL ( 36"-42" or anything bigger). The Eastern Section size tops out at 3XL (????)

"SECTIONS
Sections refer to the geographical location from which the pelt was harvested and
indicate hair traits that are inherent to the area. Generally, moving from West to
East, and from North to South, fur becomes flatter and darker"

Posted By: coonman220

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 03:52 AM

So nafa is for real done in us ? How would u ship fur to Canada ' as a trapper, ?legally a trapper can never ship internationally , if this is true. Goodbye for auctions for me

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by coonman220
So nafa is for real done in us ? How would u ship fur to Canada ' as a trapper, ?legally a trapper can never ship internationally , if this is true. Goodbye for auctions for me

You are getting excited over a bunch of unfounded rumors. Just calm down and see how the situation plays out. NAFA will make announcements when the time is right.

These threads remind me of Chicken Little. The Sky is Falling, the Sky is Falling.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 07:40 AM

If your talking about me when you say "chicken little", just what exactly have I said that is unfounded???????????????????????????????????????????????

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
Originally Posted by coonman220

You are getting excited over a bunch of unfounded rumors. Just calm down and see how the situation plays out. NAFA will make announcements when the time is right.

These threads remind me of Chicken Little. The Sky is Falling, the Sky is Falling.

I can't understand how any business would think keeping their suppliers in the dark holding bad checks would an accepted business practice with no damage going forward. Nafa has received their money from the sale, why wasn't it in the account that the bad checks were drawn on? They have the money from the last sale, where did it go? I'd say it's way past time for an l announcement from them. Pretty arrogant of them to treat their shippers this way.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 01:04 PM

I was gone for 5 days on vacation to see my kid in the Army and of course my deposited NAFA check bounced. I only got charged $5 for the return but got this yellow, reduced size "substitute" check in my paperwork envelope. Is this just something to show I have an issue with NAFA or is it their "good" check-- it looks like its still drawn on Mississauga, ON address as the first one? Its says it can be "used such as the original" but I have no desire to bounce another NAFA check.
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 01:12 PM

Iowa Process for Dealing With Bounced Checks: Every state has its own procedure to follow if a check bounces. In Iowa, the procedure is as follows:
1) The creditor must send you a certified letter informing you that the check bounced. The letter demands that you pay the creditor the original amount you owe, any fees the creditor’s bank charged and any additional fees related to collection such as sheriff’s service fees. You then have 10 days to pay the amount listed in the letter.
2) If you don’t pay the amount due within 10 days, the creditor may press criminal charges against you for writing bad checks.
3) If you do not pay the amount due within 30 days, the creditor may file a lawsuit. You are liable for up to three times the original amount of the check; however, the maximum recovery is $500 more than the check’s value. For example, if your check for $450 bounced, your creditor is entitled to sue for up to $950, not $1,350, because he or she can only recover up to $500 more than the original amount due.
If you write a check against a bank account that doesn’t exist, the 10 day waiting period does not apply; your creditor can press criminal charges right away.

Note the last line. To everyone on here implying it was not criminal, you must not live in IA. LLL

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 01:15 PM

Got one question for you guys that sell at NAFA. When it comes to things Walmart or some other big name sells you say support your local shops / dealers. But you still send fur to NAFA. The local country buyer is just like the small gun shop owner......He is depending on local folks to make his living.
I know each and every one of you work hard to catch your fur and want the most you can get from it. BUT that practice does sound a little hypocritical when you bad mouth someone for finding a "deal" at the big stores ......

In good fur years, if you want to sell at wholesale prices, sell local. I sarted trapping again in the last few years of the mrat boom and sold to a local guy who ships to FHA. I basically got half for my rats that what he probably did. He's nice guy and I know the local guys have to make a profit but is that local loyalty worth a 45% or so reduction in my fur check? All this buyer did was to rebox my finished rat skins into his FHA bags. With the markets being down and more volatile, and big "local" guys such as GFW around, maybe there isn't a doubling up over what they pay vs what they can get when they sell and maybe it comes out in the wash with no commission and having money in hand as soon as they write you a check. But they're still a middleman in the process.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 01:20 PM

Yeah, LLL, there are certainly guys up with the "Granite City JCs" up on the "hill" here that are in that fine institution for writing bad checks. Maybe the only difference is "what were the intentions"...?

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 01:30 PM

And people will defend wrong doing. Scary really. I have seen no attempt to apologize to those who they know they wronged. No public statement. As you know the first step to redemption is always repentance. LLL
Posted By: jarrett

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 01:41 PM

What has happened with some people’s fur check is a bad deal. Nafa needs to come out and make a statement to clear the air. One thing I would suggest is that when you get your check next time, ask the bank to verify the funds before you try and cash it. This will save you all the fees. I know as big as nafa is or was you shouldn’t have to worry about there checks being good or not, but times are changing and a person has to change with them or be prepared to get bent over time to time.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 01:42 PM

2 other threads on here, 5-6 posts on every trapping page on Facebook, it’s been talked about for 2 weeks now

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 02:40 PM

i'm hopin this didn't push coonman over the edge and get him a vacation at the funny farm.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 02:42 PM

NAFA will sort things out in time, we saw a reorganization of Ontario Trappers Assn. a number of years ago that ended up just fine. Meanwhile, the Colorado Trappers Assn. sale has been reliably marketing a growing amount of wildfur (especially coyotes) for thirty six years now and CTA usually has a 100% sale of the goods, sometimes at better money than NAFA, and you get paid shortly thereafter. Colorado Trappers Assn. took over when Rocky Mountain Fur Exchange went belly up in the early eighties, so glitches in this industry happen every so often. NAFA may be headed toward a reorganization this year, but as we have all heard "what don't kill you makes you stronger". Why worry now?

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 03:14 PM

Why worry? Good question! Not that I'm worried, but overall the more buyers/auctions competing for trappers fur should lead to better service and prices for trappers. Mink ranchers probably got more to worry about than trappers at this point. IMO

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 03:28 PM

Facebook?.... don't do it, don't need the drama, or all their privacy security issues and especially the ooo ooo look at me mentality... I ask a simply question like did any bodies check come back bad? And I get blow back from people like you, like I'm an knuckle dragger? Plenty of folks are concerned and rightly so... In times like these fur markets constricting, regulation over burdening, volume waaaaay down, the vultures picking each other apart NAFA flanking FHA, FHA firing back... Groney there to pick up the scraps, Herman and Dave jumping ship and throwing a big party at the Aug sale, It's not good. We need to be united front, some sound experienced leadership, not some yoyos that can't figure out how to balance a check book. The anti's love this (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman), maybe they paid NAFA off (very possible their war chest is massive) to throw us under the bus? I actually told a higher up at NAFA that real fur especially wild fur was doomed last year if things keep going like this.... I think he was hung over eyes all red and just scoffed. That's my piece, I guess if I never see my few furs and never get paid no biggy… I made my fur checks in the day thru them. I'm a member of both state and national, promote fur where I can and try to educate where I can and scold sloppy trappers when I see them. End of my soap box on this thread take for what it's worth or think I'm a nut? I got traps to prepare, coyote season starts soon, to all that love the outdoors best of harvest to you, see ya at the rendezvous, lord willing...

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 03:43 PM

Facebook?.... don't do it, don't need the drama, or all their privacy security issues and especially the ooo ooo look at me mentality... I ask a simply question like did any bodies check come back bad? And I get blow back from people like you, like I'm an knuckle dragger? Plenty of folks are concerned and rightly so... In times like these fur markets constricting, regulation over burdening, volume waaaaay down, the vultures picking each other apart NAFA flanking FHA, FHA firing back... Groney there to pick up the scraps, Herman and Dave jumping ship and throwing a big party at the Aug sale, It's not good. We need to be united front, some sound experienced leadership, not some yoyos that can't figure out how to balance a check book. The anti's love this (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman), maybe they paid NAFA off (very possible their war chest is massive) to throw us under the bus? I actually told a higher up at NAFA that real fur especially wild fur was doomed last year if things keep going like this.... I think he was hung over eyes all red and just scoffed. That's my piece, I guess if I never see my few furs and never get paid no biggy… I made my fur checks in the day thru them. I'm a member of both state and national, promote fur where I can and try to educate where I can and scold sloppy trappers when I see them. End of my soap box on this thread take for what it's worth or think I'm a nut? I got traps to prepare, coyote season starts soon, to all that love the outdoors best of harvest to you, see ya at the rendezvous, lord willing...

Lol people like me? I never said anything negative to you what so ever. Simply stated that it’s about the most popular topic being talked about in the trapping world right now, I’m sorry your just now hearing about it

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by dirtydogtrapping
Why do fur buyers think it's ok to belittle trappers like that. Personally I've never delt with nafa and after this never will. Coonman I would be concerned if I was you.

Another excellent question. Because most trappers are bad businessmen, and they got you by the Cohones. They see us as suckers.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 03:47 PM

I haven't heard from coonman220 someone should do a welfare check on him...…..
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 03:47 PM

Lawyer told me when a bounced check exceeds x amount, it is a Federal offence.
No idea of other states or international but I-yi-yie.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 03:48 PM

Maybe he got a farewell check?
Posted By: Castormound

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 03:49 PM

I'm gonna have to quit trapping because of this. Too bad I spent all that money this fall at the rondys.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by lumberjack391
I haven't heard from coonman220 someone should do a welfare check on him...…..

Coomnman220 Is ok

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 04:18 PM

Dave tends to worry a little,not as much as he lets on though.
Posted By: mainer

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer
Why worry now?

I don't deal with NAFA, so I'm not worried on that front. But broadly speaking this doesn't look good for anyone.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 04:33 PM

As far as waiting till mid October I could only assume It’s another “mailing time” for them, it’s when all the top lots are sent out and other reports or whatever

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by dirtydogtrapping
Why do fur buyers think it's ok to belittle trappers like that. Personally I've never delt with nafa and after this never will. Coonman I would be concerned if I was you.

You referring to me?

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 06:22 PM

Yup. He was talking about me. I take full responsibility for pointing out that SOME people are over reacting about the situation. Guess it doesn’t pay to post the truth.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 06:34 PM

Are they over reacting?

1) NAFA gets $10 million line of credit before last sale to cover expenses.

2) NAFA is now selling buildings in USA and consolidating into Canada.

3) NAFA bounces checks and decides to wait a month before reissuing the checks.

I’m starting to see a trend. I hope I’m wrong. NAFA was short of cash before the sale and needed the line to cover expenses. It is now selling assets. Why? Either for cash, to consolidate in Canada or both. The check bouncing may be a coincidence but NAFA isn’t rushing out to repay the checks that bounced. They know who they are and have a list of the bounced checks from the bank. They could rerun the list and mail replacement checks quickly, if they have the funds to cover the checks.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 06:39 PM

Are you quite sure #2 is happening?

Just because Beav posted it doesn’t make it true. I haven’t seen or heard anything official from NAFA about this.

Seems to me that folks like you are part of the problem. Posting things that you don’t know for a fact are 100% true.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 06:50 PM

Really? My check didn’t bounce so I can’t discus it? I didn’t see the loan paperwork either.

I’m a commercial banker with a degree in economics, MBA in Finance. I know a lot more about this topic than most. Anyone of these items by itself and I would shrug my shoulders. However, when you combine them, a negative trend is starting to emerge and we haven’t even discussed the industry issues due to lower prices and shrinking markets.

I hope I’m wrong for the health of the fur industry because it needs as many viable markets as possible.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by brymoore
Really? My check didn’t bounce so I can’t discus it? I didn’t see the loan paperwork either.

I’m a commercial banker with a degree in economics, MBA in Finance. I know a lot more about this topic than most. Anyone of these items by itself and I would shrug my shoulders. However, when you combine them, a negative trend is starting to emerge and we haven’t even discussed the industry issues due to lower prices and shrinking markets.

I hope I’m wrong for the health of the fur industry because it needs as many viable markets as possible.

clap clap clap clap clap

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 06:57 PM

Yes, you can discuss it. Just don’t post things that you don’t know for sure are 100% true.

I’m really impressed with your MBA in Finance. How does that help you catch coyotes?
Posted By: trapperne

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 07:09 PM

As a banker you can tell me if I’m wrong but if it was a routing number or wrong account problem and Nafa had the money and the bank was on board with helping Nafa through tough times wouldn’t they have covered the checks rather then let them take the PR hit

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 07:15 PM

When I said they were selling out I was just throwing more gas On the fire. But you never know.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 07:16 PM

Are you quite sure #2 is happening?

Just because Beav posted it doesn’t make it true. I haven’t seen or heard anything official from NAFA about this.

Seems to me that folks like you are part of the problem. Posting things that you don’t know for a fact are 100% true.

Nancy where is the money they were paid for the furs sold at auction? Why would they not make a statement and string people along? Overreaction usually comes from skin in the game. How much was your bad check for? In IA if you write a check without an open account it is a crime. Does that matter? LLL
Posted By: 080808

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 07:24 PM

I’m out of popcorn. Is it delivered or do I have to get up?
Maybe this is a way for NAFA to get out of the wild fur business?

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 07:52 PM

When I said they were selling out I was just throwing more gas On the fire. But you never know.

You did a mighty fine job of throwing gas on the fire. Now folks are quoting that as the truth.

I’m as disappointed as every one that NAFA hasn’t made a public statement to clarify the situation. I know for a fact that they read what is posted on Tman.

Writing bad checks is a crime in just about every state. I would like to hear NAFA’s side of the story before I make a final decision. As I said before, mistakes happen.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 08:12 PM

I never wrote a bad check. I had distant relative that not close. Go on bad check writing spree years back an end up with 2 year prison sentence, I rarely wrote checks, once bimonthly for water bill, an only other is for payday loan place which I have started into again an hate it, $20 interest every 2 weeks, last fall I did it 3 times an quit until 6 weeks ago, now a $125 loan an payback every 2 weeks with $19.50 interest, for 6 weeks, everthing else pay online or free phone payment, could u even get away with writing bad checks in Iowa on purpose nowadays. ?

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 09:50 PM

I’m as disappointed as every one that NAFA hasn’t made a public statement to clarify the situation. I know for a fact that they read what is posted on Tman.

Writing bad checks is a crime in just about every state. I would like to hear NAFA’s side of the story before I make a final decision. As I said before, mistakes happen.

OK then.... NAFA folks who "mistakenly" floated a hot check I have a little advice as one of your unsecured debtors and recipient of one of those hot checks.....Check and make sure your bank will honor your check before you mail it. If not you will loose customers that trap hard for the money and then trust you that you will mail them their money. Others will question if it will happen to them.

I also would let these customers know as soon as I knew. By not making a statement it appears there is impropriety by some. I have always been amazed at the spin that comes out of your press releases. Waiting to hear how this is spun. LLL

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 09:55 PM

For the record, I did not get a check from nafa’s August sale. Doesn’t mean I didn’t have skins in the game. To be quite honest, if I have dealings with NAFA or not really isn’t any one’s business.

Yes, I do buy fur at NAFA (also at FHA). Whether I sell there or not, is no one’s business.

BTW - I do feel sorry for the Trappers and dealers and ranchers that got bad checks from NAFA. I am merely pointing out that some folks on here are over reacting. Yes, it would be nice if NAFA publicly explained what is going on. And maybe at some point they will.

And then you get posts like Beav’s, where he said NAFA was selling all US property. That got people more riled up. Then Beav comes on here and said he was just throwing fuel on the fire. The fire didn’t need any more fuel like that.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 09:55 PM

This has the potential to affect all trappers here and in Canada. I understand the concern. I would hope it doesn't turn into a rumor mill and it shouldn't get personal. I am new to all this but have been a business owner for a long time. I am going to not speculate and wait to see how it plays out. Hopefully to the best for everyone involved. Which ever way it goes there is really little anyone of us can do about it or to change it. Whatever the outcome I would hope we would go forward in a positive way. I say we band together and support one another.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 09:57 PM

The bank knows about the ODs before they are returned. Typically, the customer is given the chance to make the checks good. Had this happened to one of my former customers and I was still on good terms with them, I would have asked for money to be brought in to make the checks good.

Originally Posted by trapperne

As a banker you can tell me if I’m wrong but if it was a routing number or wrong account problem and Nafa had the money and the bank was on board with helping Nafa through tough times wouldn’t they have covered the checks rather then let them take the PR hit

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 09:59 PM

The MBA doesn’t help me trap but it helps me finance my 16 year old son’s trapping addiction.

I trapped as a farm kid but hadn’t trapped again until he asked four years ago. We’re having fun.

Yes, you can discuss it. Just don’t post things that you don’t know for sure are 100% true.

I’m really impressed with your MBA in Finance. How does that help you catch coyotes?

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 10:01 PM

Yup. He was talking about me. I take full responsibility for pointing out that SOME people are over reacting about the situation. Guess it doesn’t pay to post the truth.

Now you want to get paid for the truth? Will you take a check? smile

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 10:17 PM

This was posted on another site...….

Dear Wild Fur Shipper;

On behalf of NAFA, including all of our collectors and agents who support you in your work to produce the largest and most diverse collection of wild fur in the world, I want to sincerely apologize for all of the drama that you have had to endure with us over the past few months.

We have faced almost insurmountable challenges as our banking partners of many years appear to have decided to get out of the fur business. Unfortunately, for NAFA and our customers, this came at a time when we needed them the most. However, through hard work and focussed dedication across the entire NAFA organization, we have been able to weather this assault on our business.

I am pleased to announce that, as of today, we have put the first important piece of new financing in place as part of our overall transition towards new financial partners, and gaining a more solid financial footing. With this new development, NAFA remains in a position to continue to be the strong, global, producer-owned auction house.

Over these many years, you have put your faith in us as your auction company to provide a valuable service to you as a marketing organization. While we are on the cusp of coming through this storm, there continues to be rough waters ahead. The entire industry is still facing an unprecedented market correction and no sector is immune, including the auction houses. However, it is our commitment to you that NAFA and its management team will continue to take every step necessary to address the new realities of the industry through the right-sizing of our business, without compromising our services to our loyal shippers.

I am not going to try to make bold and brash statements about the strength of our business or how the experience of these last few months has not impacted trust and confidence in NAFA. I will say however, that all of the actions taken by our bank were, in our view, unnecessary and unwarranted as NAFA was not in violation of any bank covenants. Still, we are where we are and there is no point in doing anything other than admitting the current reality of our situation.

All that we can promise you going forward is that everyone at NAFA is going to work diligently to regain your trust. In this regard, I want to reiterate our commitment to you, that we will out-work and out-perform the competition in every way possible in order to continue to earn your business.

We will be announcing more details of our plans for the 2019-2020 season in the coming days and weeks.

We look forward to going into our 350th year with you and, together, working towards better and brighter days for our trade.

Sincerely,

Doug Lawson
President & CEO

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 10:24 PM

Sounds like a whole bunch of nothing being said there.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 10:24 PM

That sounds like it right there in nafa statement , I heard for sure they are open for US operations. I get direct deposit an no problem

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 10:40 PM

Would be nice to hear from “the bank”.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 10:40 PM

I received that letter as email at 6:01pm.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by 080808
They buying fur?

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/01/19 11:13 PM

I meant what’s the banks side of the story.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/02/19 12:13 AM

Somber letter.

The bank kicked NAFA out. Either because the bank wants out of the industry, a very real possibility, or because they didn’t like the credit risk of NAFA.
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/02/19 01:00 AM

I don't even ship to NAFA but fail to see how NAFA, and it's shippers, do not find above possibly libelous.

Agree though with many that NAFA silence on this, whatever is going on, is all the more deafening and perplexing the longer it goes on.
Posted By: bodycount

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/02/19 01:34 AM

Did any mink ranchers get hit with rubber check?
Posted By: wr otis

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/02/19 01:38 AM

Not a nafa shipper. That said am I missing something here or does nafa float loans to mink ranchers? Is that the real source of the problem?
One bank shuts off line of credit and they are bouncing checks from sales?

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/02/19 01:56 AM

I wonder if thats the bank in nukland or the bank in NY? Given NY's current political situation regarding fur, I can see that they got dropped because of the fur bans.
Posted By: beaverwarrior

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/02/19 02:01 AM

Just received a letter from my bank that NAFA’s check bounced. They charged me a $12 fee and took back the cash I received when I cashed my fur check. Not a happy camper!

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/02/19 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB
I wonder if thats the bank in nukland or the bank in NY? Given NY's current political situation regarding fur, I can see that they got dropped because of the fur bans.

My check, which did not bounce, was from CIBC - Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/02/19 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB

My check, which did not bounce, was from CIBC - Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.

On the checks it says payments go through their agent in New York City.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/02/19 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by pcr2
first i heard of it.will this affect coonman's bait making ability,not to mention his prepay.

whistle

Lookit what you went and did..??

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/02/19 12:22 PM

Maybe bank went anti-fur? Cuomo got to their branch in NY!!! Just my guess.
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/02/19 12:33 PM

Time to get out the pitchforks and torches and make a visit to beavs' house. We will get to the bottom of this the best way we know how. Lol

Where has boco been?? Normally be would be waist deep in this issue, must be something going on he can't comment on. cool.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/03/19 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by rpmartin
Time to get out the pitchforks and torches and make a visit to beavs' house. We will get to the bottom of this the best way we know how. Lol

Where has boco been?? Normally be would be waist deep in this issue, must be something going on he can't comment on. cool.

BOCO being silent on this issue is indeed perplexing. frown

w
Posted By: can45

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/03/19 12:41 AM

My returned check said "Return Reason - S , Refer to Maker"

There are lot of possible return reasons, "NSF" is Non-Sufficient Funds, which apparently this was not the reason check was returned.

What does "S" mean? Maybe closed account, which earlier post indicated.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/03/19 01:30 AM

Sucka
Posted By: larrywaugh

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/03/19 01:36 AM

Bank told me today mine bounced.
Posted By: Walleye Joe

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/03/19 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by beaverwarrior
Just received a letter from my bank that NAFA’s check bounced. They charged me a $12 fee and took back the cash I received when I cashed my fur check. Not a happy camper!

My bank withdrew my deposit and charged me a $19 Charge-Back Fee. I sent NAFA an email regarding this matter. I'm going to see what happens in the next month before I get too bent out of shape. It sounds to me like one of the banks they were using dumped on them. Going "Anti-Fur" or something, mad
Posted By: James Peterson

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/09/19 04:02 PM

CIBC
6543airport rd

Saw this post from Danny the day after I deposited my check! Well guess what, just heard from my wife that the check has bounced 10/9/2019.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/09/19 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by teepee2
Originally Posted by 080808
They buying fur?

NAFA has not been in the fur buying business since 1988. They are auctioneers.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/09/19 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by James Peterson

CIBC
6543airport rd

Saw this post from Danny the day after I deposited my check! Well guess what, just heard from my wife that the check has bounced 10/9/2019.

BOHICA !!! frown

w
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/09/19 05:30 PM

[/quote]
NAFA has not been in the fur buying business since 1988. They are auctioneers.[/quote]

Except for that time a few years ago when they bought all that fire sale fur from trappers and then resold it.

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/09/19 05:32 PM

don't worry,be happy
Posted By: James Peterson

Re: NAFA Aug. proceeds check returned - 10/09/19 05:51 PM

I’ll be happy when my check clears and my bank fee is reimbursed...
© 2024 Trapperman Forums