Home

Hunt update

Posted By: Cougarw

Hunt update - 09/18/19 01:45 AM

Just want to say thanks to everyone on here that gave me advise on going to alaska moose hunting. I listened to it all and spent the money on good stuff. I learned a few things as a first timer that I feel I need to pass on to anyone thinking they are going to do this some day.
First do not skimp in boots, get good leather boots. Second spend the money on a good frame pack and bag, that is a must, can not say it enough. And go during the rut will help. There's more but I feel these are the most important, and have quality clothes, I wore sitka.
Now, it was very warm were I was at and the rut was not on, every day the smoke from the fires blew up the valleys making it almost impossible to see any moose. We did see a small bull and cow the first morning and one decent bull that we couldn't gauge width. Day three we saw one bull at a long way off. Never saw a thing till day 10 after that, talk about frustrated. We actually texted the bush plane and told him to pick us up in the afternoon. 20 min later we heard a bull grunting, I started calling and within 20 min he closed the distance to 75 yards, after much, and fast consideration we decided to shoot. Luckily he made 51" in a 50" unit.
We will take it. Had to pack him 1.5 miles back to the air strip, took 12 hrs. Got picked up in the morning and couldn't wait to get a cheeseburger.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: snowy

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 01:47 AM

Great job! I have had a number of friends that have gone there moose hunting and been unsuccessful. Count your blessing on a great bull.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 01:50 AM

Nice work sir! Great scenery, and thanks for sharing the pics!
Jim
Posted By: Boco

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 01:54 AM

Well done.Moose hunting is hard work after you shoot.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 01:59 AM

Congrats

My dream trip for sure
Posted By: SkyeDancer

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 01:59 AM

The year 9/11 happened I and a friend out together a float trip in an area 150 miles north of fairbanks. It was quite warm as you experienced and action was slow. One morning I said to my friend "world war three could happen and 23rd wouldn't know it.". Didn't know 9/11 had occurred! I took a 50 inch bill the night before we were picked up! Congrats!
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 02:03 AM

Well done!! That's great!

An old friend of mine stopped in to my Moose camp while running his trap line in Canada. He hung out a while, had a cup of coffee and a piece of left over fish. I was telling him how warm it was, Moose not moving, gotta pack up tomorrow, blaa blaa blaa. He said "don't take long to make a Moose hunt". I shot a meat bull with a cross bow that evening.

Your story reminded me of that story. Thanks much!
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 02:04 AM

Very hard work! Helped pack out a 42" spread bull way back in a glacial valley in Alaska. Swore I would never do that again! Guess where I was the following 2 falls during the rut? laugh
Very nice bull by the way!!!

Chris
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 02:10 AM

Awesome man! Hard work! Congratulations
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 02:23 AM

Good deal. Maybe one could just tranquilize shoot one, take pictures, let it go, and save the packing work.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 02:25 AM

Great bull. Thanks for posting

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 02:33 AM

It was a great adventure, and I have my mind set on going back, only not for moose. Kinda got my mind on a dall sheep or grizz. Hoping for a dall though.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 02:38 AM

Congrats.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 03:06 AM

Wow! Awesome trip and hunt. Thanks for sharing and taking us along. Sure is some pretty country.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Well done.Moose hunting is hard work after you shoot.

Not if you miss...
Posted By: James

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 03:18 AM

Congratulations! Where in the state were you hunting?

Non-residents can't hunt sheep or grizzly up here without a guide, so better save up some coin.

Jim
Posted By: adam m

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 03:52 AM

Congratulations. I'd be happy with that
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 09:19 AM

that's great glad you got one ,thanks for sharing pic.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 12:06 PM

Looks like you had an awesome hunt. Thanks for sharing. What pack is that you are carrying?
Posted By: sotired

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 12:10 PM

Congratulations, great moose, and sounds like a great hunt.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 12:19 PM

That's Awesome!!! Congratulations on a Great hunt!!!!
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 02:19 PM

Was it a big deal to get the meat home W_I? I just got back with a bunch of fish packed in 50# boxes and checked them like luggage on airline. Just wondering if you could do something like that with a Moose.
Posted By: CornFedCoon

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 07:36 PM

Awesome moose!

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 09:46 PM

I'm having the meat shipped back by alaska cargo. The pack was Alaska frontier barney pack which I'm super glad I spent the money on, they know how to build a pack. My partner had some high end pack from cabelas and in my opinion, and his, was junk. We hunted area 39d I believe it was.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Hunt update - 09/18/19 10:04 PM

Monday 3 hunters mauled by grizzlies in MT
Posted By: coyotesoldier229

Re: Hunt update - 09/19/19 01:36 AM

Congrats on the successful hunt.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Hunt update - 09/19/19 01:44 AM

Nice bull, it seems like the harder the hunt the more memorable it is.

Re: Hunt update - 09/19/19 02:08 AM

There was a guy not far from us hunting with his buddy on 4 wheelers, one of them was mauled by a grizz and the other one shot it off of him killing it. He ended up I. The hospital, heard it was bad but do t know how bad.
We had a bear come up to the tent in the middle if the night and was huffing, or barking at us. He left when I started talkinh.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums