Home

Maxi vs Minnie vs Great Plains

Posted By: Pike River

Maxi vs Minnie vs Great Plains - 09/15/19 07:05 AM

Just want to get some feedback for a unsaboted muzzleloader bullet.

The maxiballs look awfully weird.
The minnieball looks good.
I've been shooting great plains

50 cal, 1:28 rifling.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Maxi vs Minnie vs Great Plains - 09/15/19 10:26 AM

I shoot a Great Plains 54 cal. I started with the 1:66 roundball barrel and bought a fast twist (1:32) barrel so I could hunt with conical bullets. My rifle shoots the maxiball lead bullet very well. T/C doesn't sell them anymore, however, Track of the Wolf does sell a generic version.
Posted By: cotton

Re: Maxi vs Minnie vs Great Plains - 09/15/19 10:59 AM

is best to let your rifle tell you what it wants to shoot.

i tried many bullets and found my old side lock shoots the CVA deer slayers the best, man they are real hard to find now.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Maxi vs Minnie vs Great Plains - 09/15/19 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by cotton
is best to let your rifle tell you what it wants to shoot.

i tried many bullets and found my old side lock shoots the CVA deer slayers the best, man they are real hard to find now.

Mine shoots the Dixie gun works buffalo balliet best used to be able to get them in the store now you have to order from Dixie

Lots of different ones out there try some and see which your gun likes best
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Maxi vs Minnie vs Great Plains - 09/15/19 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by TraderVic
I shoot a Great Plains 54 cal. I started with the 1:66 roundball barrel and bought a fast twist (1:32) barrel so I could hunt with conical bullets. My rifle shoots the maxiball lead bullet very well. T/C doesn't sell them anymore, however, Track of the Wolf does sell a generic version.

What do you use for lube between the ribs?
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Maxi vs Minnie vs Great Plains - 09/15/19 09:32 PM

I shoot a 1:66 Hawken with a round ball and spit patch with accuracy. Figure out what she likes.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Maxi vs Minnie vs Great Plains - 09/15/19 09:36 PM

Maxi's were designed specifically for Thompson Center's line of muzzle loaders. I never could get them to shoot well in any other rifles, however, they shot exceptionally well in Thompson's rifles.
As has already mentioned; you' will just have to experiment and see what works best in you rifle.
Posted By: imissed

Re: Maxi vs Minnie vs Great Plains - 09/15/19 09:48 PM

When I blackpowder hunted I used T/C's Maxi-Hunters in 50 cal.

They shot well and had some serious knockdown power.
Posted By: coonlove

Re: Maxi vs Minnie vs Great Plains - 09/15/19 10:43 PM

The great plains that you are shooting is a good bullet. Problems with it? Also you mention Minie's. Keep in mind that they are undersized to expedite fast loading and have a hollow base. Too heavy a charge will deform the thin walls of the skirt and cause problems. There are "improved" Minies out there that have thicker skirts. The Maxi from Track is advertised as cast from T/C molds, so should be similar to store bought. My 2 cents.
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: Maxi vs Minnie vs Great Plains - 09/15/19 11:56 PM

buy a mold and make your own. not hard. a lee furnace, mold, a dow rod to knock the spru off, pure lead,a ingot mold and go!
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Maxi vs Minnie vs Great Plains - 09/16/19 01:00 AM

[Linked Image]

You talking Lyman Great Plains Rifle..? I have a mold and lead to make the 325 grain Maxi. I had the Lyman Great Plains Rifle in the 80’s....and it shot the Maxi very very good.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Maxi vs Minnie vs Great Plains - 09/16/19 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Pike River
Originally Posted by TraderVic

What do you use for lube between the ribs?

The maxi balls come in a bag of 25, no lube. I have not lubed the purchased ones yet....as I still am shooting from my supply of T/C maxiballs, which cone lubed.
I was thinking Crisco, but will call TOW for their recommendation.
Posted By: twild

Re: Maxi vs Minnie vs Great Plains - 09/16/19 01:53 AM

You might look into Fury bullets they are supposed to shoot well in a 1-28 barrels. I've also had luck with Hornady FPB's, not had any luck with the bullets you mention in my rifles. What rifle are you shooting?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums