Home

Open carry

Posted By: coonman220

Open carry - 06/27/19 02:17 AM

Seen African American. With either a 9 mm or 40 on open carry holster in store. Didn't look like law enforcement, this last Friday nite at crappy conveince store, he didn't like me eye him, when wasn't looking am gave me dirty look, ppl like that got lot nerve though, if I was doing that, I expect be harresed an it be my luck at gunpoint by le, someone like his looks. Definately needs checked by le, I would never do that , go around open carry , I can see conceal carry but
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 02:26 AM

I could not disagree with you more, coonman. If open carry is legal, everyone except felons, has the right to do so. I carry concealed most of the time to protect me and mine. I don't begrudge anyone else for carrying concealed or open.
As far as looks people give one and other, that is subjective isn't it? Maybe he wasn't fond of the hairy eye that you may have been giving him.
Posted By: WayOfLife

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 02:36 AM

If you got it carry it however you're aloud! I dont mind the open carry. I worry more about the criminal that has his concealed. Sounds to me like the guy felt like he needed to keep an eye on the suspicious person glaring at him lol.
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 02:36 AM

coonman, You should have walked up and thanked him for exercising his Second Amendment rights. I open carry everywhere I go (where legal), and people thank me all the time.

If you had been staring at me, I'd have very bluntly, asked you if there was something I could do for you.

Charlie
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
I could not disagree with you more, coonman. If open carry is legal, everyone except felons, has the right to do so. I carry concealed most of the time to protect me and mine. I don't begrudge anyone else for carrying concealed or open.
As far as looks people give one and other, that is subjective isn't it? Maybe he wasn't fond of the hairy eye that you may have been giving him.

This.....

coonman, I have a difficult time trying to understand the way you articulate your thoughts anyway....maybe shorter sentences ?

Myself, I have always smiled at those whom I see are lawful carriers. They are your potential allies .....
Posted By: adam m

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon

This.....

coonman, I have a difficult time trying to understand the way you articulate your thoughts anyway....maybe shorter sentences ?

Myself, I have always smiled at those whom I see are lawful carriers. They are your potential allies .....

x3

Although I conceal carry I didn't mind open carrying. I always smile at those I see carrying (open or concealed). I know if it hits the fan there will be at least 2 lawful people who are carrying and hopefully both will deescalate the issue.

coonman, not sure where you are but here, there are a lot of undercover officers that you would never guess are LEO's.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 03:27 AM

LOL just LOL! whistle

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 03:33 AM

That is my opinion , no I never say nothing, say thanks to him ! Ha ha , I don't think so, I.mind my own bussiness, I. Sure I was not only parnoud him , still though , u got have lot nerve. I wouldnt dare carry open, I not going to say what feel like if did, ur set urself up for harresment at least from Law enforcement. At least if was me , doing that, I know I would be harresed , I don't care aslong as he had permit an wasn't going start shoot ppl, include me.i just saying that he has lot nerve
Posted By: warrior

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by coonman220
Seen African American. With either a 9 mm or 40 on open carry holster in store. Didn't look like law enforcement, this last Friday nite at crappy conveince store, he didn't like me eye him, when wasn't looking am gave me dirty look, ppl like that got lot nerve though, if I was doing that, I expect be harresed an it be my luck at gunpoint by le, someone like his looks. Definately needs checked by le, I would never do that , go around open carry , I can see conceal carry but

That's why we need gun control. Keep them uppity coloreds in line, I tell you!

Before anyone blows a gasket that was said in jest to make a point. Many will miss it.

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 04:28 AM

Bigoted much?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by warrior

That's why we need gun control. Keep them uppity coloreds in line, I tell you!

Before anyone blows a gasket that was said in jest to make a point. Many will miss it.

it is largely the history of gun control in the US. to" keep them colored folk in line" . "uncle Joe as the media calls him (Joe Biden) even plays right into it , when he suggests all a person needs is a good shotgun" practically strait from the mouth of the plantation owner and Klansman.

what gun control didn't come from the southern Democrat trying to hold onto their power in the south post civil war , is written in words borrowed from Adolf Hitler himself. gun control has killed more people world wide than died in the American civil war , and the soldiers killed in WWI and WWII combined.

liberty is a scary thing for many , but we need to suck it up and realize no list , no government agent can protect you. seeing everyone walking around with a securely holstered side arm should be the norm and not the exception.

a free country is a country where men and women carry everywhere freely open or concealed and with no government permission slip!
Posted By: zoozoo400

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon

This.....

agreed! I've considered open carry myself. Though I can't lie, I do appreciate the weight in my pocket (I like them sticky holsters). Can't use those with girl pants though.. not enough pocket space. LOL
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 05:26 AM

That is my opinion , no I never say nothing, say thanks to him ! Ha ha , I don't think so, I.mind my own bussiness, I. Sure I was not only parnoud him , still though , u got have lot nerve. I wouldnt dare carry open, I not going to say what feel like if did, ur set urself up for harresment at least from Law enforcement. At least if was me , doing that, I know I would be harresed , I don't care aslong as he had permit an wasn't going start shoot ppl, include me.i just saying that he has lot nerve

I mean no disrespect or malice, but that is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever tried to read.

I open carry sometimes, not often, and have NEVER been harassed by law enforcement. Never even been asked to show my permit. Had a DNR officer tell me once he wished more hunters would carry. No one has ever stared at me or said anything to me when I have opened carried. I guess people who go to church have " lot nerve" exercising their freedom of religion too.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 10:12 AM

Started carrying a 22 revolver during trapping season when I was about 13. Put it in my locker when I got to school. School frowned on carrying it to class. Got chewed out a few times for forgetting to take it off.

Got chewed out by a local cop once for going to the post office to get my mail . Had it under my bibs. ( no permits available back then was just illegal) Unzipped them when I went in and cop saw the gun. Let me know I wasn't supposed to carry in the post office (federal building) and concealed was a felony. Some cops would arrest me. So I thanked him got my mail and went home to do fur.

Went into a local convenience store that sits on the interstate wearing hip boots and covered in mud from coon trapping. Had on a camo jacket. Scared some Canadian tourists pretty bad. Guess they thought I was there to rob the place.

Now its being promoted for self defense. Even in Cities you are not likely to be questioned.

Coonman220 are you suggesting the lives of black men are not valuable enough for government to recognize their right of self defense?
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 10:13 AM

Were you staring at the bulge in his pocket like the incident with the Hispanic at the restaurant?
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 10:38 AM

Isn't open carry still constitutionally legal in all 50 states?

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 10:45 AM

Yes Gary Benson but in many states its a felony. In spite of the constitution. Supremes for the last 80 years have refused to enforce "shall not be infringed". In Illinois they changed firearm owners license to firearm owners ID and made it mandatory. Crickets from those long black dress wearing jokesters that are charged with enforcing the constitution.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 10:47 AM

IMO, open carry during ordinary, day to day life is stupid, for a variety of reasons. I carry concealed every day. I don't want anyone to know I'm carrying for any reason. Why anyone would want to advertise the fact that they are armed is beyond my comprehension. To make some sort of stupid political statement? Because they can? For the attention?

Open carry while hunting or fishing is a different story.

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 10:58 AM

Lugnut my son in law carries open. Says he is less likely to ever have to shoot somebody if they know he is armed. Yes it can easy be argued a tactical advantage is gained by concealed carry but like wearing seat belts who can say for sure? I have not seen where he gets attention for it. Same for the others I see open carry. In many states open carry is legal but concealed carry is not. Concealed carry requires permission from some faceless bureaucrat. Why would anyone agree to ask permission to exorcise a right? Carry open and stay legal instead.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 11:05 AM

I prefer to carry concealed. I'm not a fan of attention and prefer the element of surprise. But, open carry is a deterrent. Open carry doesn't bother me at all - although I have seen it only rarely.

The right of the people to keep (own) and bear (carry) arms shall not be infringed. Requiring only concealed carry is an infringement on carrying. Carry on.

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 11:13 AM

I understand your points Danny, don't necessarily agree with them, but understand them.

He may be less likely to have to use his firearm because he open carries. A bad guy may see the gun and abort his plans for that instance. Or your S-I-L could become a target, the first threat to neutralize if the bad guy is really bent on wrong-doing.

I believe there is absolutely a tactical advantage of surprise with concealed carry. If it ever hits the fan, hopefully no bad guys realize I'm armed until it is too late for them.

I don't like paying some bureaucrat or government entity to exercise my Constitutional Right anymore than you do. But, if the alternative is open carry or no carry, I'll do it while continuing to support individuals and organizations fighting to change those ignorant laws.

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 11:16 AM

I understand your points lugnut, don't necessarily agree with them, but understand them.

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 11:19 AM

Touché
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 11:28 AM

A bad guy isn’t typically gonna scan for weapons.

As for the OP. Wow, this guy. Never fails to disappoint.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 11:43 AM

The OP has the same freedom of speech as the rest of us. Like the right to carry open, discretion should be exercised. Unfortunately it often is not.

I too would take notice of a black man carrying open. Not because there is anything wrong with it but because it is very unusual. I might be sufficiently surprised that the man noticed but I would not post about it.
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 11:59 AM

Iowa Permits are carry permits and have no requirement to conceal. so are valid for Open or Concealed carry.

The color of a Man's skin is Irrelevant; and his choice of carry options is no ones business but his own.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 12:04 PM

You must have different types of law enforcement officers than I do. Other than getting the "nod" from every officer I've ever encountered, I've only been approached twice by an officer, once was to shake my hand and thank me for exercising my rights and one other time because she wanted to know how I liked the pistol I was carrying.

And I believe you may be mistaken on who has a lot of nerve...

Have a wonderful day and carry safe
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 12:05 PM

1). Any laws broken?
2). What does his ethnicity have to do with carrying a gun legally?
3). Please don't get into an election booth.
4). You're the only one that did wrong in the situation.

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 12:07 PM

I see a person openly carrying, regardless of race, I know we’re on the same team . Exceptions exist of course.
Posted By: Jonnytrapper

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 12:12 PM

Why worry more about the guy with a gun outside of his shirt when there are plenty of people you didn't notice with guns inside their shirts?
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 12:17 PM

In town I prefer concealed carry but have no issue with open carry. Out in the woods I always open carry.

Chris
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 12:39 PM

I'm pretty sure old c oonman has a phobia of people of color. I remember his last post about the Hispanic with the bulge in his pocket giving him the stink eye for staring at it, now this. Lol. My wife is African American and if I knew where coonman hung out I'd get my wife to walk by with her 9mm and give him the stink eye jyst so I could read his post the next day about the scary black lady. Lol
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 12:53 PM

A friend of mine always carries on his hip. One day a lady saw his pistol and lost her mind over it. She called the cops. Mind you Utah is proud of their open carry stance. This woman would not be consoled however. So the cops had to ask my bud to come with them and they had pizza for lunch. Loll

What gets me is people like this woman that see guns like a demon. They are tools . its how the single individual uses them that becomes the issue.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I understand your points lugnut, don't necessarily agree with them, but understand them.

wink

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 01:14 PM

until very recently late last year or early this year I had never actually heard of an open carrier being the victim of anything other than intolerant people and a few cops who harass open carriers.

that did change in cell block MKE you may have heard it by it's other name Milwaukee WI a local guy who open carries regular was the target of an ambush. he walked around the corner to a gun in his face and just as he saw that the partner in crime of the guy holding the gun in his face relived him of his side arm. a planned ambush to steal a gun.

even though that has happened I would put it 1000 to 1 or more guns stolen from cars because people left the gun in the car rather than carrying it due to some restriction on their legal carry vs people being directly ambushed for thier side arms.

It tells me criminals are getting desperate for a good gun

Police loose their guns to criminals in their custody more often than open carriers are targeted for their guns.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 01:14 PM

I think if I was a young Buck now … I would brandish a pair of pearl handle six shooters. low slung, with tie downs, put on a MAGA hat and go walking around town where there are a lot of liberals. Just to see their reaction.

Garry-
Posted By: oldtrapper

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 01:19 PM

Wow just because he was black sounds pretty racist to me. And it sounds like you were scared too, was it the pistol or because he was black? Get you head out of your (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) and lay off the corn silk. You just threw me under the bus with the scary black man. I opened carried for 20 years and only once I had someone say something... it must have been some Jackwagon from Iowa. He couldn't believe I was carrying in a grocery store.
Believe it.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 01:42 PM

What kind of idiot would harass someone who is carrying a loaded firearm? crazy
Posted By: Posco

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 01:48 PM

I think I've seen one guy open carry around here and that was just once. He didn't instill a great deal of confidence in me. Lots and lots of folks CC around here. It seems foolish to tip your hand with open carry.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck

Police aka tyrants do it all the time. Go on YouTube and watch thousands of videos of it. ....side note, I don't think all cops are bad.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 01:57 PM

Admit it coonman, you were staring at the bulge in his pants again weren't you. That's why he was glaring back at you.

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck

yup and they are just that smart.

and their making the point that the person who is carrying is even tempered and not prone to the very things they are saying about him or her. you see they think only how they would handle or react and they scare the devil out of them selves with their own stupidity and thus since they can't trust themselves no one should be trusted.

but they will be the first one saying someone should have done something about xyz .

they forget they are someone and you are someone.

so when looking for that magical someone it helps to start by looking in a mirror , that someone should do something because you are only responsible for yourself as are they but they like to forget that because it scares them , they want that magical someone else who is responsible for them because they don't feel they can be responsible for themselves.
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 02:10 PM

Judge much? LOL, you can bet that was one man that does NOT have a felony. Think that through.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 02:42 PM

Whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever color you are, carry however you can.
I prefer concealed except when doing outdoor activities, but I dont shame ANYONE for open carrying.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 02:56 PM

All depends on what I’m coming from or going to as far as open or concealed. I do know carrying concealed and revealing that I’m carrying stopped two potential bad situations.
First one was back when you went two a store to rent movies. My wife and I were the only patrons in there late one night, when two “boys” came in. I noticed he was carrying a weapon stuck down the front of his jeans with no holster. Something just didn’t feel right so I told my wife to just listen to what I say and go to the car. I pretended she was upset because I couldn’t find a movie. One of the boys was watching the door and the other was watching me. The clerk was starting to figure out something wasn’t right as well. I didn’t want to leave her with the two guys just standing around so I picked up a movie and said YES!! I found it!! And lifted my arm real high pretending to show my wife the movie from inside the store. When I did I knew it would expose my weapon. It did and it worked. The guy watching me walked to his buddy and said he’s got a gun let’s go. And they left. I told the young lady to call the police and waited until they showed up. I knew them and the wife had already called one and he pulled up in short order. The boys were caught later that evening attempting to rob a gas station.

The second time I was pumping gas in another town. I was the only one at the pumps and the store. I watched a car with 3 occupants pull up and one get out and go inside. The driver didn’t park but circled the store again and when he pulled back up front there was only him. Something just didn’t feel right so I decided to walk in to get a drink and see what was up. The first guy was huddled in the back of the store pretending to look for something. I walked up to the counter and told the young lady there to call 911 and I’d stay right there until they showed up. I also noticed the driver had pulled around to the side of the building with the car running. I pretended I needed something else and walked back where the guy was still huddled down near the floor. I decided to make sure he saw I was carrying when I walked past and got something off the shelf he was at. It worked. He saw the gun and left in a hurry. The car sped off as soon as he jumped in. And then the cops show up and find the other guy hiding behind the building...his partners hauled butt and left him.
I later found out they caught the other two in an attempted robbery...after the one they left behind started talking.
To this day they still offer me a free drink whenever I’m in town and stop in.

Sometimes just knowing there could be opposition will turn a “bad guy” off his preplanned objective.

Editing to also say in both situations...none were black or Africans. White boys and Hispanics.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 04:24 PM

maybe the open carry thing changes from region to region but around here seems they are all just showboatin. Perhaps momma didn't hug them enough. Maybe they need louder pipes on their truck or cycle...dunno

If I was a bad guy, the open carry guy would be my first target. And if you think a real bad guy is nervous about another guy carrying a gun he can see, you don't know many bad guys. They litterally shoot people within feet of armed Police around here. I've seen it many times first hand. They could care less about your guns (or their own lives).

Lots and lots of prison video showing cons disarming people with level 3 holsters. Do you think a level 1 or 2 is any feat for them? It's not!. WE do it at work. It's easy as pie (from behind). There are only a couple minute differences in the carry holsters I see. I'll say they are easier to take a gun from someone from behind them, than wearing them. Again, I've seen vids of it and DONE IT. Remember any persons ""reactionary gap" is almost a solid second. I've got that gun before you can react. Don't believe me? Do it with your buddy's. It''ll change your mind on open carry...and more so what you're ability's aren't.

Now now...most will say " oh you can't get my gun without me knowing it" (theories are great...but far from reality most times)... More than a few dead open carry guys that would disagree to that if they were still breathing....but they are still dead.

SO....like poker, don't show your cards until the dealing is done. If you need attention, buy louder pipes.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 04:35 PM

When am I concerned to see a guy with a gun?

When it is not in a holster.

Bad guys don't use holsters. They get in the way, and they are additional evidence.
Posted By: corky

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 06:02 PM

wildflights made an excellent point
Posted By: Zim

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 07:52 PM

Speaking of open carry, back in a different life I lived in NW Montana for a bit. I drove a 72 Chevy Blazer and had a gun rack mounted on a side window with a Remington 700 and a Berretta semi auto shotgun in place at all times.
I think that if you did not have stuff like that you would have looked suspicious and out of place. You would see all sorts of folks packing sidearms openly as the term concealed carry had not made it there yet.

Zim

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 08:01 PM

Ya I guess that make sense. Bad guy would not have open carry, I from small town, was in bigger town at edge it, at Kwik star, there tv cameras in store moniter outside. Nice new convience store inside, don't look bad. But at edge big town, bunch motels around. Bad repution in area. I seen beggers bums around nite in past there. Have had blacks come at pickup on charge from several hundreds away, when sit pickuo, with pop or chesp donut snack an have enough nerve to almost rap on window an beg with not understandable language there. In past, I am not a minority lover, call local workforce center other day, no return ph call, to busy with help minority ppl out, they get best everthing it seems, where I work, they get best jobs, easy work, an are generally no good at screw everthing up. An do nothing, just kinds scary, looking at black big semi auto an thinking , what if he pulls out an starts shooting an alot bullets the clip holds. I wonder what like get shot? I rember thinking about it, terrifying , even more scary ,if has gun point at u
Posted By: white17

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 08:17 PM

Ya I guess that make sense. Bad guy would not have open carry, I from small town, was in bigger town at edge it, at Kwik star, there tv cameras in store moniter outside. Nice new convience store inside, don't look bad. But at edge big town, bunch motels around. Bad repution in area. I seen beggers bums around nite in past there. Have had blacks come at pickup on charge from several hundreds away, when sit pickuo, with pop or chesp donut snack an have enough nerve to almost rap on window an beg with not understandable language there. In past, I am not a minority lover, call local workforce center other day, no return ph call, to busy with help minority ppl out, they get best everthing it seems, where I work, they get best jobs, easy work, an are generally no good at screw everthing up. An do nothing, just kinds scary, looking at black big semi auto an thinking , what if he pulls out an starts shooting an alot bullets the clip holds. I wonder what like get shot? I rember thinking about it, terrifying , even more scary ,if has gun point at u

REALLY ????????????????????

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 08:23 PM

"That is my opinion , no I never say nothing, say thanks to him ! Ha ha , I don't think so, I.mind my own business"

Had that been the case we would not be here today! whistle
Posted By: Bobcat77

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by white17

LOL I thought the same thing White!!!!

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 08:28 PM

Seriously? I thought everyone knew mass shooters are white guys.

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 08:44 PM

grin See my shocked face ???

[Linked Image]

Not getting it at all ....I tried to hint.... wink

Yes sir, Zim, its just that way still , here. Not so much with the gun racks in the truck windows , but sure thing on everything else you described .
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 09:07 PM

It's one thing to disagree with someone, but to make fun of how he communicates is not cool man.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 09:12 PM

Don't mean to be an (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) but sounds like your biggest problem was it was a black man late at night in a store carrying a gun in a bad part of town. See nothing wrong as long as he was legal it's his right. As far as you not doing it yourself we all have things we see others doing that we wouldn't try. Like me won't go out topless just one of my hang ups .lol
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 09:19 PM

Coonman when the black guy has it pointed at you, that's the time to worry. (High school in the city can be rough. Lol) If the black guy is just carrying it on his side, he's likely on the right team.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 09:26 PM

Mo has been "Open Carry" since 1821, when we entered the Union. That said you can expect your life to get very exciting anytime you carry into a 7-11 in an urban area. Probably want to leave the ski mask at home.

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 09:44 PM

It is hard to post on android phone. No longer have computer. No it was not in real bad area town, none in iowa, the store was ok, big convience store an on way home I stop there when go, around area on outskirts of town , alot motels, several chesper ones. Knowen to not be good though, as I am sure, lots narcotics an rift raft ppl around, it just seems to me, carry open is begging for trouble, I thought about conceal carry, but doubt would carry on me, leave pickup, law enforcement does not like conceal carry, I have heard an am sure of. I have to much other things that need money for, besides a 9 mm

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 10:06 PM

From what little I can understand of this broken English sentence, you still sound incredibly racist. But no... "the blacks" are the ones we need to be concerned about and the ones who have "not understandable language" when they talk...
Posted By: tjm

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob
Mo has been "Open Carry" since 1821, when we entered the Union. That said you can expect your life to get very exciting anytime you carry into a 7-11 in an urban area. Probably want to leave the ski mask at home.

Some days in town I'll see a half dozen open caries in the parts place, WalMart, the Chinese restaurant, gas station etc. and then it might be months before I see another, it always freaks my wife out, she was raised back east in a big city. I haven't figured out what makes everyone carry open on that one day a month or what ever.
If I feel the need to carry it is likely to be open- big piece is hard to hide, concealed is hard to find/reach, but there is likely to be one concealed too. Never put all the eggs in one basket.

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by tjm

Some days in town I'll see a half dozen open caries in the parts place, WalMart, the Chinese restaurant, gas station etc. and then it might be months before I see another, it always freaks my wife out, she was raised back east in a big city. I haven't figured out what makes everyone carry open on that one day a month or what ever.
If I feel the need to carry it is likely to be open- big piece is hard to hide, concealed is hard to find/reach, but there is likely to be one concealed too. Never put all the eggs in one basket.

sometimes it is an open carry get together or meeting basically go out as a group to a well researched location and be seen open carrying.

the motto of the open carry movement is " a right un-exercised is a right lost "

I typically see a few at the 4th of July parade , cause it just seems like a good time to exercise your rights as an american and it is just to hot to want to wear extra clothing to cover it.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by tjm

Isn't Open Carry Day the 2nd of every month?
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 10:36 PM

@ Pike River, In Nebraska it's every day, 365, 24/7. smile

Charlie
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 10:37 PM

It's not hard to post using an android, just takes a little more effort and diligence than a computer

Re: Open carry - 06/27/19 11:03 PM

Every time I open this thread a part of me rejoices ...and dies a little.

Ever met someone so not self-aware ? Like the enormous guy at a bar wearing a “No Fat Chicks” t-shirt ? It’s kinda like that.

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 12:55 AM

When I trap I open carry when I'm not trapping it's concealed carry and no difference that I have found over the years but things are more laid back here.

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
When I trap I open carry when I'm not trapping it's concealed carry and no difference that I have found over the years but things are more laid back here.

Same. In the woods, open carry. In town concealed. Lots of guns have a pistol or two on their hip though. I embrace it. Population is like 95% white here but if there were a black guy with a gun on his hip I embrace that. Anyone who's on our side is good by me. Race doesn't matter.
Posted By: zoozoo400

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 01:29 AM

Ain't that the truth!
Posted By: tjm

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 01:41 AM

Funny that when I trap it's cold out an 90% of the time the gun is concealed, but then it's not there for defense when trapping, i wish more who feel the need to carry would open carry. One guy in a room might become a target as some of you believe but if 16-29 in the room are showing I spect the odds of just one becoming a target because of it are negligible.

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by tjm
but then it's not there for defense when trapping

Moose and grizzly will change that.

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 02:06 AM

Truth be told, one of the main reasons I got a concealed carry permit was not to have to unload and reload my S&W .22 10 shot revolver at every stop.
I guess I sometimes carry that without thinking into a gas station-convenience store here in rural Wisconsin but have never gotten a second look.
That could be because I'm dressed like every other no-account local and know most folks. I always have a 1911 in my truck console, not really sure why.
If it comes down to it I suppose I could hit a dinner plate at closing time.

Zim
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 02:42 AM

Must....resist....urge ....to comment

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 03:05 AM

What??? Can't you NWT boys understand plain English?

Zim
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan McLeod

Must....resist....urge ....to comment

HAhahahaaaa me too!
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Zim

Zim

Me are understands good.
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 02:53 PM

Be great to have a big 44 for berry picking it is a pain to have to keep going back and looking for my rifle.

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan McLeod
Originally Posted by Zim

Zim

Me are understands good.

lol

Zim

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by muskrat411
Be great to have a big 44 for berry picking it is a pain to have to keep going back and looking for my rifle.

I have a Marlin 1894 .44 mag lever rifle . Carry it into the bush all the time, sling it as I pick huckleberries. Short barrel, easy to swing in tight places. I just think of it as a big revolver grin

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 03:12 PM

not true , that is what they media would have you believe.

but Mass shooting/killing is not limited by race or gender.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

not true , that is what they media would have you believe.

but Mass shooting/killing is not limited by race or gender.

This. Most but not all of the huge mass shootings are done by white guys, at least the typical "school shooter" type ones. There are several definitions of "mass shooting", but the one typically used is four or more people shot. There are plenty of those in the inner cities all the time, and most of them never make it beyond the local news. Ands even the huge mass shootings have been breaking the "white guy" mold lately. People don't even have to die for it to be considered a mass shooting.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
There are plenty of those in the inner cities all the time, and most of them never make it beyond the local news.

Because they're not done by the proper color to make the news.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 05:02 PM

Mass shootings in the las 35-40 years runs about 2/3rds white from sites I've seen. Mass shooting is defined as 4 or more.

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 05:20 PM

the second biggest in recent history was the Pulse night club shooting in Orlando , Arab Iraqi did that.

number dead has more to do with level of training than color.

number not dead has everything to do with trained people there to stop it .

for years I had been saying as bad as the numbers are , they are nothing compared to what a well trained person could put up. unfortunately the US Government trained up some folks that then went on to prove my point.

no list , no security clearance , no history , no race , no religion , no gender , predicts who shoots anymore.

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
the second biggest in recent history was the Pulse night club shooting in Orlando , Arab Iraqi did that.

number dead has more to do with level of training than color.

number not dead has everything to do with trained people there to stop it .

for years I had been saying as bad as the numbers are , they are nothing compared to what a well trained person could put up. unfortunately the US Government trained up some folks that then went on to prove my point.

no list , no security clearance , no history , no race , no religion , no gender , predicts who shoots anymore.

My understanding was that that guy killed approximately 1 person for every minute he was holed up. He did it with a sig mpx, but at that rate, he may have well used a musket.

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Mass shootings in the last 35-40 years runs about 2/3rds white from sites I've seen. Mass shooting is defined as 4 or more.

the numbers are constantly played with. if you use the numbers the news agencies like to of 2 or more injured or dead which then brings in lots of gang shootings the number of shootings skyrocket and the race flips to non white.

so it depends what numbers game who wants to play what day .

if you only want to count 2018 and 4 or more victims it is 12 shootings and nearly 50% white vs non white

being that the US was 76% white in 2018 an even distribution would be 76% of shooters to be white

how would you like the numbers bent today , what would you like to prove or disprove?
Posted By: hippie

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 05:44 PM

That's why a gave the parameters to the numbers I stated.

Re: Open carry - 06/28/19 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
That's why a gave the parameters to the numbers I stated.

I understand , my point was however that that 76% of people in the US in 2018 were white if you use 40 years of numbers in 1977 the US was 87% white
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Open carry - 06/29/19 03:43 AM

After some time for deliberation, I believe that we may be hitting coonman too hard. Yes, it is a challenge to decipher his fat fingered Android phone communication skills, but I believe that we may be misinterpreting his words as racist, instead of as profiling. There is a big difference between the two words.
If we were all brutally honest, we would have to confess that we all "profile" every day. Profiling is nothing more than constantly observing your surroundings for the purpose of risk assessment. Not just limited to one's skin color, but from one's actions, mannerisms, etc.
The Reverend Jesse Jackson once stated that if he was walking down a city sidewalk at night, and encountered a black man walking in his direction on the same side of the street, that he would very likely cross the street to avoid contact with that black man just in case. Is that racist? No. That is profiling. He made a risk assessment based on the frequency of black on black crime in that city.
As far as coonman's risk assessment of the black guy carrying open, I doubt that coonman had anything to worry about. That black man was likely carrying open to thwart potential black on black crime upon himself.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Open carry - 06/29/19 04:09 AM

You always seem dumbfounded as to why most people on here don't care for you. Posts like this is why. You're also always whining about being broke. Where I live, I can carry a weapon in the open with no restrictions FOR FREE. Up until recently, I'd have had to pay a permit fee to carry it concealed. And even now, would still need to pay to buy a holster to carry concealed..
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Open carry - 06/29/19 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
IMO, open carry during ordinary, day to day life is stupid, for a variety of reasons. I carry concealed every day. I don't want anyone to know I'm carrying for any reason. Why anyone would want to advertise the fact that they are armed is beyond my comprehension. To make some sort of stupid political statement? Because they can? For the attention?

Because I don't have to register with the state, thereby negating any constitutional rights, to do so.

If concealed and open carry were both completely legal with no restrictions, only a moron would open carry. But in many states, like mine, the only way to carry unrestricted without permits is open carry.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Open carry - 06/29/19 06:35 AM

During trapping season I've got a pistol on me daily, and I use it a lot so it's almost always open carry. I've met more than my share of ignorant people like you that try to tell me I can't carry it. For the most part people just go on their way. I've had a couple disgruntled little old ladies tell me that what I'm doing is illegal. I prefer to carry concealed so I don't have to deal with people like you, but it's much easier when it's out every stop to carry it in the wide open.

Re: Open carry - 06/29/19 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Because I don't have to register with the state, thereby negating any constitutional rights, to do so.

If concealed and open carry were both completely legal with no restrictions, only a moron would open carry. But in many states, like mine, the only way to carry unrestricted without permits is open carry.

This. I just can't bring myself to pay $300 dollars or more, and begging the crown for the "privilege" of tucking a gun behind my shirt instead of on top of my shirt.

Re: Open carry - 06/29/19 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Like I said to Danny:

I don't like paying some bureaucrat or government entity to exercise my Constitutional Right anymore than you do. But, if the alternative is open carry or no carry, I'll do it while continuing to support individuals and organizations fighting to change those ignorant laws.

Our County Sheriff doesn't like it either and makes it as easy as possible for citizens to get or renew their "Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms", our version of a CCW permit. He does that buy sending deputies to different locations throughout the County on the third Thursday of every month so folks don't have to travel into our cesspool of a County Seat, a corrupt, crime-ridden, drug-infested little city.

The fee is $20.00, it's honored in thirty-two states and the permit is good for five years. So it's really not a financial burden or inconvenience to obtain it. I think it is well worth it when the ramifications of being forced to shoot someone with an "illegal handgun" are considered.

Re: Open carry - 06/29/19 02:46 PM

It's a tool so use it as you need to and how it works the best for you! I care less what others think if it's legal then who is to say others are wrong if they choose different ways.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Open carry - 06/29/19 07:17 PM

No downside to be well armed but concealed is better than overt.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums