Home

Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview

Posted By: Gerald Schmitt

Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/25/19 03:58 PM

Very good interview of L. Craig O'Gorman by Bill Falkowski in the July / August Trapper's World. There were three things that really stood out to me in the interview.

First thing was at the end of the interview, Bill asked Craig what it takes to trap numbers of animals on a consistent basis. His answer was: "You need to have the knowledge, you need to have the equipment, you need to have the animals and the access to them, and you need to have the execution." A very concise and clear explanation of long line trapping.

The second thing was near the beginning when Bill asks Craig who taught him to trap. Craig reels off a list of several legendary trappers. Good trappers are always seeking out new ideas from other good trappers. Ron Hansen always told me, if you want to get good at something, find out who is the best at it, and go talk to them.

The last thing was when Bill asked Craig about his early years of trapping. Craig mentions trapping pocket gophers in 4th grade, getting a copy of Fur Fish Game, and catching his first fox at the age of 13 in a dirt hole set with Dailey's lure and a pigeon for bait. Like lots of us, he got addicted to trapping when he was young, started out with zero knowledge and built his skills from that point on.

Thanks Bill, for doing this interview.
Posted By: henpecked1

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/25/19 05:10 PM

Lots of crickets out there. Thanks for the comments and pointing out the wisdom of the masters.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/25/19 05:38 PM

I haven't got my issue yet to comment on the interview,but anything O'Gorman is worth reading.I read that he has a photographic memory and that probably accounts for why he so interesting to listen to.
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/25/19 05:41 PM

Always look forward to Trappers World, this should be extra good!
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/25/19 05:59 PM

I just finished reading the article and I too thoroughly enjoyed it.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/26/19 12:59 AM

How's come Gerald Schmitt always gets his magazines before I do?
Posted By: GotFur3

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/26/19 02:27 AM

Looking forward to reading it. Well said henpecked.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/26/19 03:06 AM

Awesome! I will look for it
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/26/19 03:12 AM

Must live next door to the printer.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/26/19 11:20 AM

Because Tera is mad at you for not writing any more trapping stories .... lol

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/26/19 12:34 PM

Nobody gives a flip what ive got to say anymore.
Posted By: henpecked1

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/26/19 01:10 PM

Jtrapper, we all care about what you have to say, we do give a 'flip'. Please let it all out so we can provide support as needed and dont forget you will get a participation award: but you will not get your TW any quicker. Go get some ice creamand have a safe day and may all ur chains be tight that means fur is in them).
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/26/19 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Because Tera is mad at you for not writing any more trapping stories .... lol

Ha ha. Just got the mag yesterday and sat down and read it last night. Very good interview. I caught my first fox at thirteen also....and a coyote in the remake the next night. No lure, hadn't discovered the majic potions yet, but just old rotted down fish oil. I had to laugh at how similar out roots are, but yet have never met him! Good comments, Gerald!
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/26/19 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jtrapper

Must live next door to the printer.

I haven't gotten mine yet either.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/26/19 03:32 PM

Every time I read of folks getting their TW magazines here on TrapperMan, it's 2 more weeks before mine is delivered, so I'm definitely on the "reject list"... Lol!
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/26/19 03:35 PM

Got mine 2 days ago, but I provided a cover pic last fall so I'm kind of a contributor Lol

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/27/19 01:42 AM

ky coyote, I put bills in the mail box this morning and flag is still up, mail didn't even run at my house today so no telling when i'll get my magazine. Enjoy Morris Fenner's articles in TW the most, his adventure's make me feel like a sissy cause ive not had any of the ailments he's had to endure, he's super man in my eyes!

I ever get a million geese, hogs, coons and beaver's killed I might jot down some more lines henpecked.

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/27/19 02:16 AM

Jtrapper, you should put your mail in the mail box before the carrier goes for the day.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/27/19 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jtrapper
ky coyote, I put bills in the mail box this morning and flag is still up, mail didn't even run at my house today so no telling when i'll get my magazine. Enjoy Morris Fenner's articles in TW the most, his adventure's make me feel like a sissy cause ive not had any of the ailments he's had to endure, he's super man in my eyes!

I ever get a million geese, hogs, coons and beaver's killed I might jot down some more lines henpecked.

Hey Jtrap, Mail lady has been dropping off the neighbors mail at my place because the backwater is up.
don't understand what's so hard about delivering, I've been doing it in a jonboat, and my neighbors haven't
had a late delivery yet, Lol.

I agree about Morris Fenner, ain't he a dandy?....Always read his TW articles, and just finished his book
"55 Years of Trapline Adventures" and will read it again no doubt....It's that good!

TW is still my favorite Trapper Mag, it just feels like home.
Posted By: buckfreak

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/29/19 02:17 AM

Just finished reading it tonight. He cuts right to the chase and doesn't pull any punches. It was a good read.
Posted By: run

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/30/19 09:57 PM

I got my Trappers World issue with O'Gorman interview.
Posted By: blackhammer

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/30/19 10:11 PM

Sounds like something worth reading. Really could care less who has got their issue yet or not. grin
Posted By: Broomchaser

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/30/19 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by blackhammer
Sounds like something worth reading. Really could care less who has got their issue yet or not. grin

How much could you care less? wink

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/30/19 11:00 PM

And I always thought you were a caring person Blackhammer.
Posted By: run

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 06/30/19 11:25 PM

LOL.
Posted By: Jeremiah Wood

Re: Trapper's World - O'Gorman Interview - 07/01/19 12:19 AM

Loved it. No hobbies other than trapping, and never learned to turn on a computer because "I can't kill a coyote on the internet, so no interest". He's one heck of an interesting guy, and it's no wonder he's been as successful as he has.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums