Home

Purple potato varieties

Posted By: Bigfoot

Purple potato varieties - 06/24/19 01:20 AM

Does anybody have a favorite variety of purple potatoes if so what makes them your favourite
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Purple potato varieties - 06/24/19 02:25 AM

Nope, and I think it is unnatural, I cant support it.

Kind of like a rainbow potato if you ask me.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Purple potato varieties - 06/24/19 03:40 AM

Actually they have been around as long as regular potatoes there is records of their use on ships in the 1500s to prevent scurvy
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Purple potato varieties - 06/24/19 06:50 AM

Not sure of the variety. They were labeled just purple fingerlings on the bag at the feed mill. They were our favorites though. Would get lots of golf ball to racket ball sized spuds. Would quarter them and pan fry them super hot with some garlic and rosemary.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Purple potato varieties - 06/24/19 11:13 AM

sounds like great eating smile
Posted By: 080808

Re: Purple potato varieties - 06/24/19 11:51 AM

Adirondack Blue
Posted By: lgtrapn

Re: Purple potato varieties - 06/24/19 01:38 PM

I like growing the Purple Vikings. They have white meat that is good for all types of cooking.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Purple potato varieties - 06/26/19 03:32 AM

Blue potatos are good, and it seems to me they hold better if you are saving them in the dirt than reds or whites. I had a 50 ft row of reds, whites, and blues in that order planted same date in late , the blues are the only ones with vines still living now.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Purple potato varieties - 06/27/19 07:00 PM

I used to sell red, white, and blue "new" potatoes on the 4th of July weekend at our Farmers' Market. I no longer remember the varietal name for the blue selection.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Purple potato varieties - 06/27/19 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by trapper les
Nope, and I think it is unnatural, I cant support it.

Kind of like a rainbow potato if you ask me.

That is racist Les. Personally I can tolerate red, white, gold and most any potato fresh dug and with lots of butter.

Zim
Posted By: charles

Re: Purple potato varieties - 06/27/19 07:36 PM

I am growing Cherokee Purple and Mountain Purple. Have good results with Cherokee Purple. Picked up a few of the other day by mistake. Don't even know where they are in the row. Both are indeterminate.

Always select a variety with resistance to lacal diseases. Your county agent can be a big help.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums