Home

I know this is kinda weird but......

Posted By: Catch22

I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 12:12 AM

Anyone in my area of Wayne Co Ohio that has hounds that tree coon, would ya take me along on a hunt this season coming. I'm a skosh gimpy but miss it so. I'll pay for supper and my way. I just miss it.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 12:54 AM

That's kinda weird...
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 12:56 AM

That’s pretty weird.
Posted By: MoSam

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 01:02 AM

If you lived closer I would take you along. I would recommend asking on a coonhound forum
like UKC coonhound.com general or your state forum or coondawgs.com. Hopefully you will find someone close to you and be able to go and hear them run.

Shaun

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by MoSam
If you lived closer I would take you along. I would recommend asking on a coonhound forum
like UKC coonhound.com general or your state forum or coondawgs.com. Hopefully you will find someone close to you and be able to go and hear them run.

Shaun

Thanks bud, you get it. When ya were raised with hounds, you miss that magic. Gary, why is it to weird lol?
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 01:33 AM

Nothing weird about it catch. I was raised with hounds as well and since I lost my dad and little brother I haven't had anybody that wants to run dogs with me anymore. My last hounds are standing in the yard getting gray and so old they can't hunt anymore. I wish I could find someone around here that I could go with just to hear the race again. Been thinking about trying to find a young dog to start if I could find someone that would go with me.

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Davisfur
Nothing weird about it catch. I was raised with hounds as well and since I lost my dad and little brother I haven't had anybody that wants to run dogs with me anymore. My last hounds are standing in the yard getting gray and so old they can't hunt anymore. I wish I could find someone around here that I could go with just to hear the race again. Been thinking about trying to find a young dog to start if I could find someone that would go with me.

I knew I would find those out there that get it. When your raised with hounds and then curs and such it's in ya. It's a part of ya that never leaves. A lot of people don't understand how wonderful it is to be sitting in the woods and hear a strike from a dog that is true. Davis, find someone and keep it going, life is to short to not hear that music, thanks!

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 01:55 AM

Thanks to you too catch! Glad somebody else knows how it feels as well. I have coon hunted my entire life and we hunted hogs with curs for 15 years. I absolutely love the way curs hunt if I'm looking to put fur on the stretcher or meat on the table, they are fast, quiet, and effective. But absolutely nothing compares to sitting in the woods at night and hearing the woods ring with hound music.

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 02:06 AM

Oh my gosh yes. I ended up gettin married back when and chasing hounds lol, till the we hours and still working, weren't so popular. So I went to cur dogs. It was great for a lot of reasons but lacked in one. You just can't beat sittin with a cup of coffee listening to them hounds joyfully doing what they love to do. I miss it so and have stories to back it up lol. Get after it Davis!

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 02:23 AM

I hope to. I did buy fur from guy from Arkansas this winter that moved out in our area and he has a pair of young blueticks he's trying to train. I've been helping him all I can.
Posted By: Boco

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 02:58 AM

So why do you have to have some one to go with?Why don't you just get a couple mutts and go on your own.

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
So why do you have to have some one to go with?Why don't you just get a couple mutts and go on your own.

If I cared enough about what you think and how you feel, I'd answer Boco. This thread I started is fer people that understand, see. Are you from Wayne Co or close, I don't think so smart arse.

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 03:14 AM

Honest question.

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 03:18 AM

Honest question.

could have lead with that.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 03:23 AM

Im not anywhere close but if you ener get to nevada a have the time hit me up ill see if we cant go find a puddycat[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My hunting buddys son and one of last years kitty's

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
Im not anywhere close but if you ener get to nevada a have the time hit me up ill see if we cant go find a puddycat[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks bud, got a Uncle out there, last of the Mochians so I will keep tat in mind.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 03:58 AM

Boco, don’t you know it’s impossible to catch a raccoon without a few drunk buddies and a bunch of yappy dogs? Lol

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 04:04 AM

I didn't know that,lol.
I had a mutt when I was a kid that would pick up coon tracks and follow them until she treed a bunch.
Posted By: zoozoo400

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Shoot, I'd love to go on a big cat hunt!
Posted By: VaBeagler

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 06:51 AM

Nothing wierd about it. Nothing like hunting behind good coon hounds, except for hunting behind good rabbit dogs.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 07:41 AM

I like hounds. When my sons still lived at home i kept a couple all the time. They would hunt them when i could t. I just am not able to anymore. Too many irons in the fire. Not fair to a good honest dog not to hunt it 3-4 days a week if not more. I know lots of people have let them run loose and say its no problem but I could not disagree more. Not just dog treeing posums and leaving trees but its nothing for a hound to get several miles away in just a few minutes. I think they need kenneled or chained if not hunting. So like i said not fair to the dog for me to own one anymore
Posted By: Big Dave

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 10:20 AM

Catch,
We are on the Ohio Indiana line. I have 3 buddies who hound hunt if you want I could talk with them.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Catch22
Originally Posted by Davisfur

I knew I would find those out there that get it. When your raised with hounds and then curs and such it's in ya. It's a part of ya that never leaves. A lot of people don't understand how wonderful it is to be sitting in the woods and hear a strike from a dog that is true. Davis, find someone and keep it going, life is to short to not hear that music, thanks!

oh,it left me after my last black and tans died. I dont miss it now. Grew up in my youth in the blue ridge in va.......always,i mean Always had hounds. And bear hides on the smokehouse

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I like hounds. When my sons still lived at home i kept a couple all the time. They would hunt them when i could t. I just am not able to anymore. Too many irons in the fire. Not fair to a good honest dog not to hunt it 3-4 days a week if not more. I know lots of people have let them run loose and say its no problem but I could not disagree more. Not just dog treeing posums and leaving trees but its nothing for a hound to get several miles away in just a few minutes. I think they need kenneled or chained if not hunting. So like i said not fair to the dog for me to own one anymore

i agree,,thats so true...not fair
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 12:14 PM

Nothing weird. I used to have fox hounds and liked to listen to them run when I lived in Kentucky. I miss it too.

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 12:21 PM

I do miss having dogs though,mans best friend. At this age i just figure its not fair to them if i die and leave them to whatever
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
Originally Posted by MoSam

Shaun

Thanks bud, you get it. When ya were raised with hounds, you miss that magic. Gary, why is it to weird lol?

Don't mind my smart mouth. I been drinkin'.. laugh
Posted By: walleye101

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by VaBeagler
Nothing wierd about it. Nothing like hunting behind good coon hounds, except for hunting behind good rabbit dogs.

That is how I scratch the itch now to. Not practicle to keep coon hounds anymore but running beagles is a close second.

Re: I know this is kinda weird but...... - 06/23/19 03:58 PM

Thanks Big Dave, I would appreciate it much. I wouldn't mind traveling some, I like adventures and meeting good people.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums