Home

Automatic knives

Posted By: James

Automatic knives - 05/22/19 06:54 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Automatic knives - 05/22/19 06:59 AM

Top to bottom: A Microtek with a hidden catch. A Piranha, good utility knife. And a Pro-Tek, watch that tip!

Someone posted a shot of their switchblade recently, so I thought I'd follow up in a dedicated thread.

Jim
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Automatic knives - 05/22/19 09:22 AM

I never have been a fan of saw blade knives. what is the advantage over a straight blade?
Posted By: Kart29

Re: Automatic knives - 05/22/19 11:01 AM

I've been thinking about ordering one of these:

Promo Code: LT25

http://www.lightningotfknives.com/Products-LIGHTNING_OTF_KNIVES.html
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Automatic knives - 05/22/19 11:16 AM

When those liberals you keep voting for take your guns, they'll come for those next. Ask anybody from the UK.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Automatic knives - 05/22/19 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I never have been a fan of saw blade knives. what is the advantage over a straight blade?

while I am also not a fan of serrated edge knives , the intention is that the middle recessed portion of the cutting edge remains sharp after the tips of the saw blade portion have dulled leaving a longer lasting more protected edge.

nice in theory , I find it most often just more difficult to sharpen and a plane edges blade would take a few licks on the diamond steel and be back to cutting . when the recesses do get dull on the serrated edge it takes a small round stone to get in and sharpen them.

oddly had switch blades been legal all along we would all be carrying them, however since they weren't flippers or spring assisted knives got so good and low cost for good quality that I have a hard time justifying the automatic when I have a spring assisted that works so well.

maybe some day I will get one , maybe the cost will come down also, but currently I carry mostly fixed blade knives and the occasional spring assisted folder.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Automatic knives - 05/22/19 11:25 AM

I use serrated edge knives when cutting over the head when skinning. They stay sharp over several critters more than a straight edge. Can sharpen on a steel, just like a normal knife, but it wears the serations off....then it becomes a smooth blase. I like em for that use!
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Automatic knives - 05/22/19 11:32 AM

and around the feet too lee for me.
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Automatic knives - 05/22/19 11:45 AM

I THINK I've used the serrated edge for rope and such.
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Automatic knives - 05/22/19 11:48 AM

Note pretty, but is all business.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Automatic knives - 05/22/19 01:06 PM

double-edged knives, spring assisted and knives over a certain blade length are already illegal in Mi. Hunting knives have traditionally been accepted worn on the belt during deer season so the majority of people don't even know about these laws

Re: Automatic knives - 05/22/19 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by jeff karsten
double-edged knives, spring assisted and knives over a certain blade length are already illegal in Mi. Hunting knives have traditionally been accepted worn on the belt during deer season so the majority of people don't even know about these laws

you fellas need to get on the repeal the knife laws band wagon.

WI de- weaponized all knives in 2016 , a knife is just s tool not a weapon unless used as a weapon.

several other states have also done this , don't worry the blood doesn't run in the streets , regular knife fighting int he town square hasn't become a thing. you would never know the difference if you aren't interested in knives.

maybe others can comment on if their laws changed to remove knives from being listed as "weapon"

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/wisconsin/

In February of 2016, Wisconsin liberalized its laws pertaining to knives, concealed carry, and statewide preemption of local ordinances.

Wisconsin removed switchblade knives from the definition of “weapon,” which is limited to handguns, electric weapons, and billy clubs. AB 142, Act 149, Section 5. The definition of “weapon” does not contain any restriction on the dimensions of a knife, blade design, or the mechanism for opening a folding knife. Also, knives are excluded from the definition “dangerous weapon”.

Moreover, Wisconsin law allows a person to carry a concealed knife and other weapon:

Unless other facts and circumstances that indicate a criminal or malicious intent on the part of the person apply, a person is not in violation of, and may not be charged with a violation of, this section for loading, a firearm, or for carrying, or going armed with a firearm or a knife, without regard to whether the firearm is loaded or the firearm or the knife is concealed or openly carried.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Automatic knives - 05/22/19 02:10 PM

Mine daily carry is a not a true switch blade is called mechanically assisted. Don't have pic or a model but it's a Gerber..Only thing I don't like about it is can't work release well left handed is made for right hand. Bench Made knives mechanically assisted are set up well for for either hand. That will be what \i purchase next time I buy pocket knife.

Mac
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Automatic knives - 05/22/19 02:15 PM

Serrated edges are a tearing cut like a saw. Nice for something fibrous like wood or rope. The main use is to hand them to someone that A) doesn't know how to sharpen a knife, B)likes to dull knives but hitting bones, rocks, sticks etc, C)uses an accusharp(please refer to rule A)
Posted By: waggler

Re: Automatic knives - 05/22/19 02:39 PM

I use staight blade knives for skinning and all such work. However, all my boat knives are serrated because in an emergency situation they are much better for cutting lines loose.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Automatic knives - 05/22/19 02:53 PM

Wanna rumble? Cue snapping fingers
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Automatic knives - 05/22/19 05:44 PM

Thanks WRR. I have these. I use the top wood handle one daily.

[Linked Image]

Re: Automatic knives - 05/23/19 08:44 AM

Auto knives, including switchblades, were legalized here under the Alaska Knife Rights Act of 2013.

Prior to that enactment, we had the Second Amendment right to keep and bear these arms.

The latter is the legal authority I used to acquire these knives.

Jim

Re: Automatic knives - 05/23/19 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Kart29
I've been thinking about ordering one of these:

Promo Code: LT25

http://www.lightningotfknives.com/Products-LIGHTNING_OTF_KNIVES.html

I bought an auto knife that looks like those. Still have it around somewhere, unless I gave it away. Instead of the blade swinging out, as in the classic switchblade, the blade is pushed straight ahead by a spring in the haft.

The price is attractive, but the one I bought is a shoddy piece of work. Cheap blade. Lots of play between blade and haft. You get what you pay for.

Jim

Re: Automatic knives - 05/23/19 08:54 AM

I prefer a straight-edge blade myself, for ease of sharpening.

Jm
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Automatic knives - 05/23/19 01:17 PM

Green Country I checked the MSP website and there was some action already taken on the knife laws as far as legality I was going by the past and what I received at the recent cpl class I took all outdated sorry I mislead
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Automatic knives - 05/23/19 01:30 PM

I like the Kershaw launch series of auto's and collect probably way to many according to my wife. I carry the black launch 3 every day. There is a red launch 2 and launch 1 and a blue launch 3 and a double action microtech OTF. Indiana did away with the ban on auto knives in 2013. Boker, gerber, schrade all make auto's as well as tons of others.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Automatic knives - 05/23/19 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by jeff karsten
Green Country I checked the MSP website and there was some action already taken on the knife laws as far as legality I was going by the past and what I received at the recent cpl class I took all outdated sorry I mislead

it is ok , that is the problem so much of the info is only know by knife collectors and knife enthusiasts , the public is often being told even by officials and trainers who should have the updated laws , old info.

we need a simplification of the laws in the US and I neither trust the Fed to do it nor is it their place.

the best advice I can give to any government representative.

"Remember , you are a leader not a ruler."
"lead from attitude of respect and not from an attitude of control"
"respect your constituents as peers and do not treat them as criminals . Their will always be criminals and they will not follow your laws any way , which is why they are criminals."

most all of our bad laws come from failing to Lead Peers with an Attitude of Respect.

we used to have a warden around here who's name I do not remember. what do remember was that he was well know for saying "show me a sportsman and I will show you a poacher with out opportunity". and that attitude spread in the agency for some years.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Automatic knives - 05/23/19 03:24 PM

When I was a teen, I bought a switchblade from a kid who was selling it for cheap because he said they were illegal. He had some prior run ins with the law and didn't want to get caught with it. Considering the knives you see at gun shows, etc, that switchblade was pretty minor stuff.
Posted By: Beaglador

Re: Automatic knives - 05/23/19 03:26 PM

I carried the bench made infidel for years. While it was functioning I think it was great. Overtime I believe it became clogged up with pocket debris- and now it barely functions. The knife never received any heavy usage other than being carried around clipped inside my pocket... You want it- it's kicking around somewhere...
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Automatic knives - 05/24/19 03:19 AM

I think trappers could use an "automatic" knife that would skin furbearers without human assistance.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums