Home

NYC Considering Banning Fur

Posted By: Finster

NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 10:54 AM

Yet they have no problem and celebrate killing babies.

New York City Council Considering Banning Fur

Lawmakers in New York City will hold a hearing Wednesday on a measure that would ban the sale of nearly all new fur products.
City council Speaker Corey Johnson sponsored the fur ban that will be the centerpiece of a hearing at City Hall Wednesday afternoon. The bill bans the sale of all fur, except for sales of used fur apparel and fur garments worn for religious reasons.
The bill is fervently supported by radical animal rights activists and leftwing celebrities. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals claim that the industry is cruel to animals. Actress Angelic Huston wrote an op-ed in the Daily News in April calling for the ban, arguing that it would protect consumers whom she claimed may unknowingly be buying dog and cat fur. Project Runway’s Tim Gunn also wrote an op-ed supporting the ban.
Business owners said the ban will cost New Yorkers jobs and hurt family businesses. Fur businesses in New York employ 1,100 people, according to the Fur Council of America, an industry group.
The bill is also opposed by a coalition of African American leaders who say the bill is an attack on black culture. On Monday, more than 100 black pastors signed a letter decrying the ban.
“Fur has given black people standing, fortitude and strength in the face of bigotry, injustice, and intolerance throughout history,” the letter argued.
The letter pointed out that while city residents would be denied the opportunity to buy fur, it would remain available in surburbs around the city.
“No urban city should be treated less fairly than its wealthier suburban neighbors on any issue,” the letter said.
Last week, a rally of black clergy and other community leaders rallied at City Hall to demonstrate their opposition. Several wore fur hats despite temperatures near 70 degrees, according to a report from Patch.com.
“People feel complete when they put on something that they worked hard for, they have sacrificed for,” said the Rev. Phil Craig, according to Patch.
Animal rights activists and supporters of furriers in New York are expected to attend Wednesday’s hearings.
San Francisco and Los Angeles have already banned fur sales.

Source: https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/05/14/new-york-city-council-considering-banning-fur/
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 12:16 PM

Can't fix stupid. Libs are all about denying someone else of what they want to do. Most understanding people on the planet! lol. And smarter than everyone else!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 12:19 PM

ban, ban, ban, tax, tax, tax, blame, blame, blame. They need to get outside more.
Posted By: nyhuntfish

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 12:28 PM

Go to Manhattan 2019 and you would say the fur industry were Trying to kill itself. Or should I be nice and not say the truth? I could write a book from my layman's perspective. But why?
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 12:40 PM

They should cut all of the bridges and let NYC flat out to sea, but that would only pollute the ocean. What a collection of idiot politicans.

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 12:41 PM

Here is the link to the page with the details about the meeting today....

https://www.trappersreport.com/story/05_15_2019-First-City-Council-Meeting-to-discuss-banning-fur
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 12:59 PM

Good luck with the meeting, I hope it comes out in our favor.
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 01:23 PM

"To protect consumers from buying dog and cat fur"

Wait whaasst? Coyotes are what now? Not to mention Bob CATS!
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 01:25 PM

movie "Stars", hard to understand why people believe someone who plays a fake character in a world that doesn't exist
Posted By: Beaglador

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 02:48 PM

You realize if this passes it's all over. I don't think it will pass, but if fur is ban in NYC we are very near the end.

Is anyone going to or at the hearing? I'm texting back and fourth with my mother in law who is already there.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 03:00 PM

There is a vocal minority out there, that are flat-out insane. Banning fur isjust the beginning. They want to ban hamburgers, pets, all domestic livestock in fact, you might as well say bye-bye to all domestic animals if they ever get to be in charge. And harvesting wildlife? Nope, they want full protection on everything, right down to the mice in your attic. I've had conversations with these people and they will scare you with thier fanaticism.

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 03:02 PM

[Linked Image]

She was asking for family pictures of trapped fur to show to the "conservation guy from Kansas and the Canadian trapper dude testifying"
So I asked for pictures of the no fur ban rally. I also got a video which I can't seem to upload.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Can't fix stupid. Libs are all about denying someone else of what they want to do. Most understanding people on the planet! lol. And smarter than everyone else!

You didn't mention, they know what's best for you.

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 03:36 PM

Mike Obrien from Ontario and Matt Peek from Kansas- you guys on here/ do we know them?
Posted By: one toe

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 04:06 PM

I don't like iced coffee, and the government should ban the sale of it....LOL.
Posted By: Sawmill Creek

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 05:00 PM

https://council.nyc.gov/live/

I am unable to watch it on my phone.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 05:03 PM

I can't type here what my thoughts about the NYC politicos .... I would get a looooooong forced holiday and Pauls eyes would be stinging for weeks and he would probably develop a twitch like the boss of inspector Clousau in " The pink Panther"

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 05:12 PM

It's live now...

https://www.trappersreport.com/story/LIVE-NYC-Council-First-Meeting-on-Fur-Banning-Proposal

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 05:26 PM

Around here, ( Hilton Head Island SC ) the tree huggers have been throwing spanners in the works as far as trapping and hunting goes to no end. I and a few folks that I know around here have said, screw it, we won't trap and hunt her anymore. In the last 4 or so years the song dogs have been multiplying in a big way. Now they are crapping in the tree huggers flowerbeds and eat their pets. All of a sudden they are all crying that the town should do something about the situation.
I just sit back and enjoy the show.
Nothing dumber than people.
By the By I see quite a few NY plates around here. Could that have something to do with it ??
Posted By: tlguy

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 05:27 PM

I'm tuned in. Some twit just claimed most animals are skinned alive. So much for fact- and evidence-based testimonial.

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 05:31 PM

Over/under on whether they mention the words 1.) Conservation or 2.) Wild fur at any point?

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by tlguy
I'm tuned in. Some twit just claimed most animals are skinned alive. So much for fact- and evidence-based testimonial.

Yep they have no clue what they are talking about. Thats why it is a done and dusted deal. Prejudice outranks everything else fore them

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 05:36 PM

There was another twit that claimed "archaic" leg-hold traps and other traps used by trappers can be lethal to humans. There's a group of people about to speak opposed to the ban coming up shortly.

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 05:41 PM

"Trapping is inherently inhumane. Species trapped for fur are not overpopulated and the species does not benefit from animals being trapped." Twit #2.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Beaglador
You realize if this passes it's all over. I don't think it will pass, but if fur is ban in NYC we are very near the end.

Is anyone going to or at the hearing? I'm texting back and fourth with my mother in law who is already there.

I still get the idea there's a lot of guys out there that don't realize how serious this is.There is only one real market for our product,and that's the fur trade.Forget the small niche markets their not going to save anything.And if the fur trade were to go,how long do you think these small markets are going to be around for?

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 06:02 PM

The anti-fur group was asked to describe a trap and its impacts on the animal, and one of their group brought a trap to show how it works. The dummy who brought it couldn't get it set and twit #2 said "they're not typically used on carpet" as if it makes any difference!

Oh yeah, and foothold traps have also been banned in most states. In case you guys didnt know that.

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 06:09 PM

Out of 5 council members that have spoken only 1 is on our side. The other 4 had their minds made up before this started

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 06:13 PM

Sawmill Creek I think you're right, I think this was over before it started and this hearing is just pandering. The pro-fur panel is about to speak, can't wait to see them strike down the lines from the anti-fur panel.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sawmill Creek
Out of 5 council members that have spoken only 1 is on our side. The other 4 had their minds made up before this started

Hope for a miracle I guess...

It seems that is the case mostly, they already have their minds made up, they are just going through the motions

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 06:36 PM

Stick a fork in it, this is done. Listening to the head of the committee tear down members of the pro-fur panel unlike kissing the rear end of the anti-fur panel, and nobody in there right mind would believe otherwise.

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 06:47 PM

Told you so ....... Ohhh how I hate attires to say / type those words. The whole thing was done and dusted even before it got public. NY is a dem run state .... the twits at the top get to call the shots. End of story. Its the northern version of Californistan. Rights........ screw rights. Gubberment knows best and you little ants will abide. Its a NAZI seed planted into this country. It will spread for the simple reason that false promises are easier to populate then real promises that are kept. Or are openly being attempted to be kept even if not met.

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 07:07 PM

One committee member is hung up on the reduction of fur stores from 400 some to 14 or so since the 70s. But how many manufacturers back then were making snowmobiles or lawnmowers or even vehicles compared to now? How many department stores were there then compared to now? A local mall lost 2 of its 4 big stores in the last couple years. Granted the NY garment district doesn't compare to a Green Bay WI shopping mall, butbthe two aren't totally dissimilar.

Another committee member said they were told mink on mink farms were kept in shoebox-sized cages, but when told by a mink farmer they were more like 2'x3' he asked if that was the natural environment of mink. Maybe not, but I guarantee all the mink caught by trappers are caught in their natural environment. And what's the natural environment of the cow that grew the leather used for his shoes? Or the silkworm boiled alive to make his tie or his wife's nightgown? Surely we shouldn't eove the steel from it's natural environment to make his car or the subway or an airplane. We should stop using any product that isn't 100% natural, oh look, we're left with harvesting fur!

While trapping is being mentioned occasionally, this discussion seems to heavily focus on fur farming both domestic and international.

That's my last update, I can't stomach any more of it.
Posted By: J.C.

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 07:21 PM

Guys, this is not an issue that can be argued, as stated earlier most of the counsel members had their minds made up long before this meeting. NYC is not a place civil discourse takes place. You are leftist extremist and that is that. One cannot be all "Well clutch my pearls" I can't believe these people would act as such. This is not surprising and frankly is there is a loophole so rich people can get fur they will get fur. Frankly its all a show and has no substance. Not allowing people to buy private property which causes no danger is how these societies operate. Its virtue signalling and nothing more. Laugh at them, don't vote for them and keep your money away from NYC.
Posted By: one toe

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 07:29 PM

You would be surprised how many think a sheep dies to get the wool.

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by one toe

Sadly no I wouldn't
Posted By: traphound

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 07:41 PM

saw that the same thing is happening in california,then I get the new FFG and see that they are trying to eliminate nutria with traps,makes absolutly no sense. Everyone is talking about going green,can't get much greener than fur,a renewable resource

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by one toe

YEP Aint no cure for stupid and stupid is the track most of us are on. Enjoy the ride

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 07:54 PM

I believe every person on the anti-fur panel and a few of the committee members mentioned animals being skinned alive, and were silenced by one person on the pro-fur panel that claimed to have affidavits from the individuals that made the video stating it was staged and not indicative of real fur farming practices.

The head committee member (I may have these titles wrong, but I didnt pay enough attention to names or titles) said on multiple occasions that he was given bad information, undoubtedly by the anti-fur groups. But they've been fed that wrong information their whole lives and this hearing isn't going to change their minds.

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 08:02 PM

We act like our opinion matters in NYC. Or for that matter any urban area. We are only considered redneck, troglodytes no matter our education level. We are already considered bigots and horrible people before opening our mouths just virtue of our geographic locations.

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 08:07 PM

Its going to be " NO FUR " in NYC don't sweat it .... Sense has nothing to do with the whole issue. Its Control They want to control. It goes from the size soda to red meat to guns, fur. It does not mater , its all about control. hey are not goin to be happy until we are a picture copy of North Korea where the government tell you when and were to get pregnant and if you are eligible for even having a child. When pocket knives are outlawed in public and you can not have as much as a screw driver in your tool kit without having the paperwork to prove that you are going to need it that day and a risk assessment for the ob that tour will need that screwdriver for.
You think I am kidding ???
Nope thats where the UK is at right when I left .
I hope it does not get this way for you

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 08:16 PM

NO CLAPPING!

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 08:18 PM

NO CLAPPING!

??
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 09:07 PM

Someone ask about Matt Peek from Ks. He is our state furbearer bio and a really good guy. Is a trapper himself, and does a good job for our state.

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 09:26 PM

Not just for your state Lee- he is representing the industry- that’s front line!

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 09:28 PM

[Linked Image]
I didn’t read the pages of the post just tuned back in- had to share this one!

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1

NO CLAPPING!

??

It must have been pro fur people that would clap after someone made a good speech. When they did the guy running the show would get mad and say "no clapping"

Re: NYC Considering Banning Fur - 05/15/19 10:34 PM

You guys should've seen the bleeding heart animal rights activist lady jump when the demo trap they brought went off. For a big gal, she sure moved pretty fast!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums