Home

Orioles are pigs!!

Posted By: imissed

Orioles are pigs!! - 05/09/19 11:06 PM

A week ago I put up my 2 oriole feeders. They have 4 jelly spots and 4 orange holders each.

Had some takers at first but now its crazy.

Today had to fill them with jelly at 9 am. 1 pm fill again. They were empty at 3 pm and put on 8 orange wedges. 6 pm their gone.

They ate a 30 oz. jar of jelly and 2 oranges in 9 hrs.

I even had them trying to eat out of the hummer feeder. I'll go broke feeding them!! laugh

Brad
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/09/19 11:27 PM

Are you watching all this, or maybe you have fat squirrels?

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/09/19 11:34 PM

Not tree rats. I've seen up to 11 orioles at once trying to feed on my feeders.
Posted By: handitrapper

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/10/19 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by imissed
A week ago I put up my 2 oriole feeders. They have 4 jelly spots and 4 orange holders each.

Had some takers at first but now its crazy.

Today had to fill them with jelly at 9 am. 1 pm fill again. They were empty at 3 pm and put on 8 orange wedges. 6 pm their gone.

They ate a 30 oz. jar of jelly and 2 oranges in 9 hrs.

Brad

I feel your pain. Same thing here too. Only I’m using 4 feeders that are set up the same way. I really enjoy having them here, so I’ll keep it up. Once they get to nesting it slows down.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/10/19 01:14 AM

Wife and I had to run into the grocery store tonight to buy more grape jelly.
Hummingbirds showed up today too.

Zim
Posted By: 160user

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/10/19 02:20 AM

How many can you fit in a flat rate box? They are a rare and welcome sight here.
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/10/19 02:34 AM

Choot em and see if they taste like pork. Or no
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/10/19 03:46 AM

Honey bees found our feeder and would empty the jelly in a day with the one feeder we have up.
Posted By: ou812

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/10/19 03:58 AM

Dollar General has cheap grape jelly at 1.70 a jar. I bought 7 jars. I had 18 one night plus orchard orioles.

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/10/19 11:41 AM

Just put out more oranges and jelly this morning. First year for me, they are little piggies. Lol
Posted By: snowy

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/10/19 12:29 PM

Orioles and Blue Jays are both hogs in many ways.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/10/19 01:47 PM

We have the same problem , They are way thicker at the feeder with Welches than the cheap dollar store grade especially later like nesting time .Not looking to argue ,try some of each and the welches or good grades go fastest
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/10/19 02:20 PM

They are like Neon this year....last year we didnt have this many.

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/10/19 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Snowpa
We have the same problem , They are way thicker at the feeder with Welches than the cheap dollar store grade especially later like nesting time .Not looking to argue ,try some of each and the welches or good grades go fastest

I use welches $1,48 a jar at Walmart. Time to fill the feeders up. Out of oranges so I'll have to run to town.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/10/19 02:49 PM

piles of them and grossbeaks this year it seems.do enjoy watchin the little hummers clear the deck to feed also.

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/10/19 03:01 PM

Haven't seen any hummers yet but they have to be here.

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/11/19 08:20 PM

Some observation results.

They will eat the jelly first and then the oranges.

Some have a darker leg and a lighter leg on the same bird. Almost black and white on a few.

The feeders are about 7' from the window.
Posted By: handitrapper

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/11/19 09:59 PM

I had a pair of scarlet tanagers this afternoon. Been a long time since I’ve seen any of them.

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/11/19 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by handitrapper
I had a pair of scarlet tanagers this afternoon. Been a long time since I’ve seen any of them.

1 of the prettiest birds there is. Indigo bunting is next. IMO.
Posted By: Jonathan

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/14/19 12:32 AM

Are we running out of grape jelly yet? laugh

Jonathan

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Eyehi

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/14/19 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jonathan
Are we running out of grape jelly yet? laugh

Jonathan

[Linked Image]

Jonathan is that a yellow grosbeak ? Have had several at my feeder this year and never seen one before ....
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/14/19 12:37 AM

Nothing better to light up a thread but with one of Jonathan's pictures.

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/15/19 02:31 AM

I have to run to town in the morning to buy more oranges. When they get done with a half they just flip it off the railing with their beak and move on to the next one. If they run out they start flying into the window to let me know about it.
Posted By: ou812

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/15/19 02:35 AM

I put out some apples yesterday to see if any of the birds would eat them. The rose breasted grosbeaks and orioles have both been eating on them. The Orioles have also eaten on the woodpecker suet cakes.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/15/19 10:17 AM

cool pic. thanks for sharing
Posted By: Sullivan K

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/15/19 10:43 AM

I use the cheapest grape jelly Walmart has. It's their Great Value brand, I think it's 98 cents a jar. The Orioles flock to it. The last two years I had an occasional Oriole, this year I have had more Orioles, at my feeder, than I have ever seen. For some reason the Orioles are thick this year. They hit both the jelly feeder and the hummingbird feeder.
I think I've gone through seven jars of jelly so far, and I'm almost out and need to gt more.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/15/19 04:07 PM

I put out two jelly feeders and several oranges cut in half. They hit the jelly hard, but ignore the oranges altogether.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/15/19 04:10 PM

One of our jelly feeders is right next to our picture window which makes for some really cool photos.
Posted By: *AceTrapper*

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/16/19 02:03 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jonathan

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/16/19 10:28 PM

When the rain came ahead of the cold front yesterday afternoon, it was 76* F in the early afternoon when this video was taken. Two hours later, the temperature dropped to 48*F.

Jonathan

https://flic.kr/p/2fQWGn3
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/17/19 12:11 AM

Just seen the first Oriole today.
Posted By: LuvTrappin

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/21/19 07:07 PM

I give mine bowls of sugar water. Home canned fruit and jellys as well as fresh fruit. Yup they're pigs alright.
Posted By: Sullivan K

Re: Orioles are pigs!! - 05/21/19 08:13 PM

I just filled my jelly feeder with it's 9th jar of jelly. I thought it was 98 cents a jar but it's 94 cents for 18 ounces. The orioles love the stuff.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums