Home

Trapline Vehicles

Posted By: CornFedCoon

Trapline Vehicles - 04/02/19 09:16 PM

I’ve been running my line out of my Chevy Cruze the past couple years. I think it’s time to get something better suited for my hunting and trapping pastimes. What recommendations do you have for type of vehicles and how they are outfitted. Any help or photos would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance
Posted By: CableAble

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/02/19 10:10 PM

94 toyota pickup been a fine vehicle for me and the way i trap its got the 22re and a 5 speed manual i upgraded from a 94 toyota station wagon big improvment having a truck bed mpg is worse but the trade off is worth it all the way

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/02/19 10:19 PM

[Linked Image]
I use this "99" S-10.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/02/19 10:32 PM

Notice the trucks so far are the smaller ones so a guy can work out of it easily. 87 D-50 4WD

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/02/19 10:47 PM

You need to be able to reach over the sides of the truck.
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/02/19 11:32 PM

UTV for me [Linked Image]
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/02/19 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by trapper les
[Linked Image]
I use this "99" S-10.

Liar, we all know your go-to rig is a Dodge Caravan!

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/02/19 11:47 PM

Yes, I do have a racing van. And 10 foot drowner rods will fit right in there, lol.

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/03/19 12:02 AM

Thank you for the input thus far! Good 'ol Freddy Cruzer has had a few too many yotes in the trunk and beavers in the backseat. I'll be using an ATV for the first time this fall and need something to pull it. I like the idea of small trucks. I had an 87 Toyota back in the day and I loved it. Very good point on being able to reach over the side!

Has anyone ever considered a small SUV? I am weighing the pros and cons between a small truck and a small SUV.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/03/19 12:03 AM

Something that will go through 2 foot of mud, 4 foot snow drifts, gets 40 mpg and you don't mind getting filthy dirt. Preferably under 2k. If you find 2 that are mechanically sound I'll take one. Lol
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/03/19 12:29 AM

I have taken the outboard off and am putting a bigger engine in it.

[Linked Image]

I don't know about the 40 mpg part but its up there lol
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/03/19 12:52 AM

The kids and i checkin beaver traps! (Dont tell my wife)
(Just kiddin i really have 94 z71 with 390,000 on it)

Attached picture image.png
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/03/19 01:02 AM

I got this thing when I had 3 bird dogs and was taking all 3 of them on 2 or 3 days chukar hunting trips every single weekend during bird season so I could fit dog crates and gear in it as well as sleep in the back. Once I get my payments down I'm downsizing to an older, smaller rig like a Tacoma or 4runner. I got one dog at the moment, soon to be two, but no more than 2 again. I'll sleep in a tent when I got chukar hunting. For trapping this is okay but by no means ideal. And turning around on our narrow mountain roads when they have snow on them is dang hard sometimes. I've had to drive in reverse for 2 miles before just to get back out. So long story short, don't get a super crew cab with a 6.5 foot bed. Good for bird hunting trips, not great for trapping.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/03/19 01:04 AM

Toyota tacoma pickups r #1 trapping vehicle. SUV I tried using was a subaru forester but opening rear hatch all the time is a pain. I have '03 Ford Ranger 4x4 with over 200,000 miles on it at the moment. Very handy just reaching over side of bed !
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/03/19 01:12 AM

I just use what I have and make the best of it.

The old GMC
[Linked Image]

Nissan Titan
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mr. Ed

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/03/19 01:19 AM

I have a brandy new 3500 Chevy HD but no way will be using that. Looking for an Arizona rust free 5spd Ranger.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/03/19 01:20 AM

I have a 1997 F150 4X4 with the extra cab and 6.5 ft box. It has been a good truck. I agree with Wild_Idaho, stay away from the long wheel based vehicles. Although my rear seat is usually a catch-all, I wouldn't mind going back to a standard cab and 6.5ft. box.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/03/19 01:25 AM

I have a ranger and an f-150.Ranger is OK for certain situations but too small [Linked Image]
to haul everything needed into the bush.Need the big truck for serious trapping.
Posted By: Jmack

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/03/19 02:47 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 F250 flat bed. I have a box that slides in and has a top lid and side lid. I can either fit milk crates in it or it is devided to keep traps separate. My sleds are my main rigs with a pull behind on them. I am in the process of rebuilding a polaris wheeler and old MAX 6×6 Argo looking machine. Would love to find an older yota or even a old jeep.
Posted By: Brokenboots

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/03/19 03:01 AM

99 Honda CR-V. 5 speed manual. 35 mpg , lay down the back seats and some remnant carpet under a heavy tarp and you got yourself a truck that will handle most anything
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/03/19 03:58 AM

Suzuki samurai..
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/03/19 08:52 AM

Boco - I would like to see a photo of the ATV in the truck with the canoe on top. I love that canoe carrier combo roll cage!

I am shopping for a new F250 super Duty with crew cab and short bed. I need it for work in wildlife business and trapping year round. When trapping, I pull a trailer with atv or side by side. For other work I use an equipment trailer with tractor / loader and equipment.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/03/19 09:19 AM

Smaller trucks for me. It’s a pain to reach over tall beds if you’re setting any number of traps. I’m back to my second 92 Toyota had the first one for 16 years of trapping. Always put about $1000 in it the last few years. Mainly tires and front end parts. In between the two Toyota’s I tried trapping out of an s-10, ranger, full size Chevy, and full size dodge. Didn’t have any of them long. I don’t have to haul a four-wheeler or side by side. My truck is the four wheeler. Only had it buried once this year, in a snow drift we couldn’t shovel to the bottom of that was up to my hood.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/03/19 11:10 AM

I switched from an extended cab long box half ton to a regular cab long box half ton this year. Man, does that shorter wheel base make a lot of difference in the woods. I like the half tons and smaller trucks, they aren't as heavy on the wet ground. I don't like the newer trucks, the sides of the bed are too high for me to reach over. I'm not hauling ATV's or sleds, if I can't get the truck in to where I want, I walk in.
Whatever you get, keep good tires on it. My old 2 wheeled drive with BFG's on it made it in and out of some spots 4x4's with highway tires didn't.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/03/19 12:41 PM

loved my dodge dakota's.tried a full size for awhile but sold it a month ago and will be looking for a small pickup again.

have a jeep trailhawk that works great except when the coon farts start.
Posted By: Big George W

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/03/19 06:26 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This thing... which while notoriously un-reliable, is exceptionally practical when it works.
It's a 1990 Jeep which was exported to the Virgin Islands, and then wound up back in CT
It's been since modified with a custom made 5 speed transmission with very low gearing, so it's great for hill climbing and trails, also snow.
She's real slow though, I joking state that the old 4.2 carb motor maybe puts out 60 hp on a good day !!
Recently - I had a hitch receiver welded on the frame right below the drivers door, as my dog is starting to slow down as she's getting older, this allows an Otterstep to be installed so she can get in/out with ease, and its's easy for me - I just slide the step out and put it in front of the pasenger seat.
But I'm biased towards jeeps, as they can get into real tight places when out in the woods.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/03/19 07:15 PM

I run a GMC 2500 4x4 with a 8’ bed. And a 14 ‘ boat and 4 wheeler. They get me where I need to go. I just need more time!
Posted By: concrete man

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/03/19 08:00 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I like the smaller trucks so you can reach the middle of the bed
Posted By: Dead Coyote

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/03/19 10:56 PM

[Linked Image]
84 Ford Ranger 4x4 4 cylinder
[Linked Image]
Flat Bed on the Ranger. Best thing I done with it.
[Linked Image]
93 Toyota 22 RE with a load.
[Linked Image]
2002 Dodge Ram 4x4 Gas Hog, but tough. Grill Guard went on after a Deer run in at Maddog 47 place. Great investment!
[Linked Image]
My go to Truck now 2002 Tacoma 6 cylinder
[Linked Image]
My backup Truck another Tacoma 2014. Mostly Boat puller and out of State Hunting Trips.
Posted By: bulldozerjoe

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/04/19 03:18 AM

Late 90s early 2000s ford ranger, bad gas mileage, but they take a beating
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/04/19 04:05 AM

Had a Subaru Baja that I ran for several years I had it lifted 6 inches when I got it, it was about the best trapping vehicle I have used got good gas mileage and had room to store supplies and catch and would go through anything I cared to run through, lost it to a drunk driver sadly

Really wish they still made them the used ones bring a premium for used vehicles it seems
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/04/19 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dead Coyote
[Linked Image]
84 Ford Ranger 4x4 4 cylinder
[Linked Image]
Flat Bed on the Ranger. Best thing I done with it.
[Linked Image]
93 Toyota 22 RE with a load.
[Linked Image]
2002 Dodge Ram 4x4 Gas Hog, but tough. Grill Guard went on after a Deer run in at Maddog 47 place. Great investment!
[Linked Image]
My go to Truck now 2002 Tacoma 6 cylinder
[Linked Image]
My backup Truck another Tacoma 2014. Mostly Boat puller and out of State Hunting Trips.

How you keep Toyotas in Minnesota with a box on them?! Lol. My uncle from the Rochester area always tried to buy my Toyota when he was back. Said you can't hardly find them up there that aren't rusted out.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/04/19 09:54 AM

[Linked Image]

My hauler.

Jim
Posted By: Hern

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/04/19 10:57 AM

'04 Ranger
I like a cap (topper). Both side windows open, so I work from my side. Tailgate opens when loading catch.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/06/19 01:13 PM

Nice double!
Hate those stinking possums...
Posted By: DWC

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/06/19 01:31 PM

Thats 20 bucks around these parts!
Posted By: 10bands

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/06/19 05:26 PM

My favorite trapline vehicle. You can catch just about everything on a good river.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: dakidsmn

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/06/19 09:20 PM

2009 smart car.

Attached picture 20190112_145835.jpg
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/06/19 09:30 PM

ADC trap vehicle.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/06/19 10:07 PM

10bands is serious!!

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/06/19 10:18 PM

Love that pile of Ducks 10bands
Posted By: 10bands

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/07/19 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Hornady Reloader
Love that pile of Ducks 10bands

Me too! This one's even better.

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/07/19 12:59 AM

Nice. Nothing taste better
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/07/19 01:03 AM

10bands - nice photo of you with the ducks and your two golden retrievers. Why do they look so tired?

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 04/07/19 02:01 AM

I love all the input! I’m going to go with a small pickup. See if I can track down another yoter.

Thanks again!
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 07/23/19 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hern
'04 Ranger
I like a cap (topper). Both side windows open, so I work from my side. Tailgate opens when loading catch.

[Linked Image]

Hern, you been taking lessons from Michael Morris? Nice grinner double!

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 07/23/19 01:30 PM

You guys ever looked into the Roxor by mahindra? Pretty cool rig.

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 07/23/19 01:32 PM

https://www.offgridweb.com/transportation/new-mahindra-roxor-off-road-vehicle/
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 07/23/19 01:37 PM

You guys should try. A motorized bicycle. Great for checking. Except for the cargo space.
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 07/23/19 09:33 PM

Do you think this old boy was a Trapper? He definitely had a good rig for trapping.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: charles

Re: Trapline Vehicles - 07/23/19 09:45 PM

Need a truck bed if you catch skunks, even occasionally.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums