Home

Sleepy Creek Done

Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Sleepy Creek Done - 03/29/19 07:09 PM

Per their Facebook page...

Ok Sleepy Creek Fans:

Here it is:

SCM is closing the doors June 30th, 2019. Now there are plenty of Sleepy Creeks at our Distributors, MTP, Sterling Fur, Funke Trap Tags, Murray Lures, FnT and many more dealers.

Allen Sayre with Funke Trap Tags has purchased from us and is making the following: Trap Setters, Stretchers, Inline Shock Springs, Trap Dye, Double Stake Swivels. My wish is that y'all support him as much as y'all did us!

Hugs n right chains!

Nancy
Posted By: mjh

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/29/19 07:18 PM

dont know what kept them afloat this long
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/29/19 07:27 PM

Dang, that sucks!
Posted By: cohunt

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/29/19 07:42 PM

I have been worried that we might lose all our US manufacturers during this period when low fur prices have greatly reduced the numbers of people trapping and buying new equipment. If we were to lose more, we might never get folks back making traps in the US.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/29/19 07:51 PM

Buy Minnesota Brand !!!

Too bad Sleepy Creek is done, they made Great products!

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/29/19 07:55 PM

I'd like to get a 4 1/2 double, just to put on the shelf.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/29/19 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22

I got one today, just to see if I could set it by hand...
I'll have a video on my channel tonight. grin
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/29/19 09:04 PM

Me too!
Posted By: Blkpwda

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/29/19 09:13 PM

I have Sleepy Creek coil springs, long springs and stretchers. Top notch. I wish the owners well.
Posted By: trapperjdb

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/29/19 09:13 PM

Hate to hear this
Posted By: dmac

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/29/19 11:22 PM

I hate to hear this also.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/29/19 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by cohunt
I have been worried that we might lose all our US manufacturers during this period when low fur prices have greatly reduced the numbers of people trapping and buying new equipment. If we were to lose more, we might never get folks back making traps in the US.

Nailed it!

Chris
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/29/19 11:44 PM

Love the S.C. 1.75 regular jaw, round pan, coil...Stocked up over the last couple of years...Best reasonably priced eastern multi-species trap I've found, made in the U.S.A. and high quality steel.

Even though it's called a 1.75, it's really a #2

Have a great retirement Nancy,
...I'll miss you, and SCM at Berkely Springs, WV.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/29/19 11:49 PM

They made the best #11 in my opinion. I'll be picking a few up, can't have too many #11's anyways.
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/29/19 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by cfowler
They made the best #11 in my opinion. I'll be picking a few up, can't have too many #11's anyways.

X2 When I water trapped for coon this was my go to trap. I still have a few milk crates full and will probably latch onto anymore I see, just in case coon is king again some day.
Hate to see the doors closed and hope the best for those that are moving onto new ventures.
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/30/19 12:31 AM

Sleepy creek 1.5 is a good rat trap for setting in pushups. I’ve caught a whole bunch of fox and lynx in them too.

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/30/19 01:06 AM

I knew the last time I spoke with Nancy I should have ordered a few "Red" specials. I hope it's not to late.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/30/19 01:09 AM

I knew the last time I spoke with Nancy I should have ordered a few "Red" specials. I hope it's not to late.

Best get after it. I’ll send you my address.

I’ll take some #1 jumps, some #1 1/2’s , #2DLS, #4 1/2DLS!

And anything else you think of! Brother!
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/30/19 01:26 AM

Loved their 3longsprings,their 11/2 coil and 13/4's.Quality traps made in the USA.Hate to see them go.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/30/19 02:58 AM

I have a dozen 4 1/2 double longsprings that I like for beaver. Sorry to hear they are closing up shop.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/30/19 04:54 AM

Bummer.... I loved their traps. I only have a few but they are great.
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/30/19 10:28 AM

What do you think will become of all the presses and manufacturing equipment? I often wondered what happened to the old B&L, Northwoods, Triple J and others.
Posted By: run

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/30/19 11:07 AM

Sleepy Creek was only trap company that had a guarantee that I know of. If they sent you a defective trap, simply return it and they would send you a good one. I'm sorry to hear the news.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/30/19 11:26 AM

I was really hoping they'd get bought out instead of closing.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/30/19 12:02 PM

Biggest problem trap manufacturers have is that their product lasts so long. You get years and years of use out of a good trap. For trap makers to survive, they need new people coming into the sport and the current people to expand their lines and buy more traps. That's not really been happening for a long time. I remember when the company started and the new Sleepy Creek traps were introduced, I liked several of their traps and still have quite a few of the 1.5 coils. Well designed traps.

Sad day for trapping.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/30/19 01:40 PM

Any of you ever hear of Pete Askins? He and his brother in law started Sleepy Creek after Woodstream ended. Pete was the R and D man for Woodstream for years. Can't tell you the date but was at least twenty or more years ago, could even be thirty, as fast as the years go by. We all get old, and the desire to keep going fades, so I assume that is what went on here. Someone could step up and buy the design and tooling, but who knows. I wish them well! I have closed my welding business that I run for fourty three years, and it is very hard to find anyone interested in doing manual labor anymore! I built an add on gas tank for Pete on his truck back in the seventys when he was out here in Ks catching yotes for testing new traps while working a Woodstream yet!
Posted By: corky

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/30/19 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
Biggest problem trap manufacturers have is that their product lasts so long. You get years and years of use out of a good trap. For trap makers to survive, they need new people coming into the sport and the current people to expand their lines and buy more traps. That's not really been happening for a long time. I remember when the company started and the new Sleepy Creek traps were introduced, I liked several of their traps and still have quite a few of the 1.5 coils. Well designed traps.

Sad day for trapping.

Good analysis
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/30/19 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Any of you ever hear of Pete Askins? He and his brother in law started Sleepy Creek after Woodstream ended. Pete was the R and D man for Woodstream for years. Can't tell you the date but was at least twenty or more years ago, could even be thirty, as fast as the years go by. We all get old, and the desire to keep going fades, so I assume that is what went on here. Someone could step up and buy the design and tooling, but who knows. I wish them well! I have closed my welding business that I run for fourty three years, and it is very hard to find anyone interested in doing manual labor anymore! I built an add on gas tank for Pete on his truck back in the seventys when he was out here in Ks catching yotes for testing new traps while working a Woodstream yet!

Yes I knew Pete, he left woodstream and started sleepy creek in the mid-1990's. He was really sharp and had a lot of knowledge of traps, holds, positioning, etc.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/30/19 03:06 PM

Nancy told me a few years back at was at western in Montana it was a coming thing.
Good people I hope they enjoy themselves.
It would be nice if they sold to interested party
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/30/19 03:11 PM

I have a couple dozen of their # 11's. A great little trap. It's not good losing another American trap manufacturer.
Posted By: racerboy108

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/30/19 03:18 PM

I have several dozens of their traps. Sadly times are changing and another great company is closing.

I wish them the best.
Posted By: bad karma

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/30/19 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
. He was really sharp and had a lot of knowledge of traps, holds, positioning, etc.

Pete is still sharp as a tack. I talk to him regularly.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Sleepy Creek Done - 03/30/19 04:16 PM

Truly sad to hear, I hope the few left can hang in there for however long it takes for fur prices to come back, (they always do).
© 2024 Trapperman Forums