Home

Ticks

Posted By: MJM

Ticks - 03/29/19 02:16 PM

March 27, 2019 -- The CDC for the first time will be monitoring the nation’s tick population and the diseases the pests may be carrying.

The effort comes as the number of people diagnosed with serious diseases caused by things like ticks, fleas, and mosquitoes has more than doubled over the past few decades. Ticks caused the vast majority of those diseases.

Its aim is to assess where Americans might be most likely to get a tick-borne illness.

“For the first time this year, the CDC is funding states to conduct widespread surveillance of ticks and the pathogens they can transmit, in addition to funding human disease surveillance and education and prevention,” says Anna Perea of the National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases’ Division of Vector-Borne Diseases. “Taken together, the data can help define areas where ticks are spreading, the infectious pathogens that they carry, and where risk of tick-borne disease is increasing.”
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Ticks - 03/29/19 02:39 PM

Trapstickman has no real need for them.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Ticks - 03/29/19 07:59 PM

Trapstick man is in BIG Trouble!!! grin

Re: Ticks - 03/29/19 08:09 PM

Whatever you do do NOT trust this Tick spray. My Dad and I tried it once while Turkey hunting....I truely believe it Called as ll the ticks into our Blind...we both had tons of ticks on us that morning.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DezertTrapper

Re: Ticks - 03/30/19 02:11 AM

Agreed, that stuff is garbage! Use this instead, I treat my work clothes and boots with it.
https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produ...;qid=1553911809&s=gateway&sr=8-3
Posted By: snowy

Re: Ticks - 03/30/19 02:34 AM

Yesterday I had a half dozen on my cloths already. Today I mixed up a concoction of vinegar, cedarwood essential oil, vegetable oil and water. I had someone tell it works and today I didn't have one that I noticed after using it.

Re: Ticks - 03/30/19 02:38 AM

snowy, what is the mix on that concoction?
Posted By: Zim

Re: Ticks - 03/30/19 02:48 AM

Mark, give my wife Patrice a holler concerning Lyme's..
She can tell you a lot of information about her experiences.
This is gone on to the point where she
is seriously considering writing a book
about it and I hope she does.
Lots of misinformation out there that we have learned the hard way.
Zim
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Ticks - 03/30/19 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Zim
Mark, give my wife Patrice a holler concerning Lyme's..
She can tell you a lot of information
about her experiences.
This is gone on to the point where she
is seriously considering writing a book
about it and I hope she does.
Lots of misinformation out there.
Zim

Can I sign up for a first edition. Will you accept Canadian blue bills again ?
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Ticks - 03/30/19 02:59 AM

I got a can after hunting coyote in wy, in April, wow I saw fifty in seven days, some landed but didn't attach yet

Re: Ticks - 03/30/19 03:00 AM

Hey No of 50, Any cold hard cash is welcome at this place.
We do however need to use the current exchange rate.

Zim

Re: Ticks - 03/30/19 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by MJM
snowy, what is the mix on that concoction?

About 30 drops of cedarwood, 3 cup of vinegar, about 1 cup of water and 5 table spoons of veg oil. I bought one of those small spray bottles and just about fills that bottle. I have heard from people it works as good as any spray on the counter. I do have pretty good luck with OFF it doesn't keep them off 100% but it does help in my experience.

I didn't have one on me today. I also wear these same cloths if out in the hills or at the ranch. When I get home I put everything in a large plastic bag and do that every time when I'm not wearing them. I will do it for about a week then those cloths get washed and I start the processes over again.

Re: Ticks - 03/30/19 03:16 AM

Not to be a wise guy that I am accused of from time to time,
but I think the tick carries a lot more diseases than folks thought.
I believe this is just coming to light and many people have been
mis diagnosed with symptoms that may not be related to the cause.

Zim

Re: Ticks - 03/30/19 03:23 AM

So very true Zim.
With the new pcr methods new diseases have been found in all the tick species.
Knowing what tick species you have is 1/2 the battle.

MJM could not find the posting on the CDC web page, care to share it.?

Re: Ticks - 03/30/19 03:26 AM

^ I know a guy that has lost a lot of balance and is about 64 years old. About 3 years ago he had a tick that was imbedded on the back side of his knee. He didn't go to doc and they finally got the thing out but he told me the flesh that was taken off was as large of a quarter. I have no idea how he got it out but it had been there a while.
I have thought about his issue with balance which came after that incident. He has went through many tests MRI's and Doc hasn't come up with any verdict. I don't think he ever told the Doc about the tick because he wouldn't relate that to his balance issue. They might have checked him for Lyme but I don't know that for sure.

Re: Ticks - 03/30/19 04:23 AM

I met a well travelled fellow 25 or so years ago that walked with a cane.
Turns out he was the first person I ever knew that was finally diagnosed
with Lyme's. Because he had traveled extensively overseas in India and Africa
the doctors were convinced it was some sort of exotic something or other.
Nope, tick bite and the first time I had ever heard of it.

Zim
Posted By: run

Re: Ticks - 03/30/19 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Zim
Not to be a wise guy that I am accused of from time to time,
but I think the tick carries a lot more diseases than folks thought.
I believe this is just coming to light and many people have been
mis diagnosed with symptoms that may not be related to the cause.

Zim

I agree with you on this point. I have experience with Lyme.

Re: Ticks - 03/30/19 12:15 PM

I turned in ticks to be tested here in ND last year, and sat in a meeting where the results were discussed. They had a list of diseases that they had found in the ticks that they had tested, and it had things you have never heard of and stuff you thought was nonexistent at this time. I would think if you get a hold of your states Health Department or State Vet they could tell you who to contact to save ticks for them and get a copy of their findings.
Northof50 I will see what I can find. That was the complete write up on what I saw.

Re: Ticks - 03/30/19 12:26 PM

MJM thanks. Have been in the field for 30 years so just interested. have done a lot of contracts but with the associated risk involved have backed off. At least we have Canadian Health care to fall back on.
did notice they extended the range of Black legged ticks over to the three boarders ND/SASK/MB must be 6 years ago got ticks on coyotes that were all positive for Lyme and powassan virus.

your ticks checked for anaplasmosis as well ?

Re: Ticks - 03/30/19 01:47 PM

2019 is supposed to be the year of the Tick! Lets Hope Not!
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Ticks - 03/30/19 01:56 PM

As inconvenient as it is I try to check for ticks if I've been out, I'm out more than I'm in. I spray my clothes out on the clothes line with horse spray that has permethrin in it. I let it dry before putting clothes on. The stuff will actually kill as well as repel ticks and mosquitoes so it may be killing me too! Since I'm just in the yard around the house and machine shed most of the time, we keep the yard well guarded with a bunch of chickens, which I'm not all that fond of but do like better than ticks and other bugs.

Glad the cdc has recognized a problem. Maybe after studying their habits for 20 yrs or so and quit blaming climate change they will look for some testing methods that's better than a crap shoot. I guess maybe the warmer the climate gets the farther the ticks get from Plum island.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Ticks - 03/30/19 02:40 PM

Yea Foxpaw the other day when I was in your neighborhood shed hunting I pulled a couple ticks off me, they are definitely a lot of those little buggers in Southern Illinois
© 2024 Trapperman Forums