Home

Scope recommendation for brush gun

Posted By: Catch22

Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/22/19 01:46 PM

I am looking for a scope size for a buddy who has a lever gun. I am not much of a scope guy, I put a vortex 2-7x32 on my squirrel gun last year and love it. He's going with a vortex too, and I recommended the same scope I have and he thought a 3x9 might be better. It's a 30-30 deer gun and he hunts in woods that go from not so thick to thick. Thanks, Catch.
Posted By: old243

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/22/19 01:53 PM

If he is looking for a bush gun, I would think he would be better with a lower power. . Personally I would go with a peep sight. old243

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/22/19 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by old243
If he is looking for a bush gun, I would think he would be better with a lower power. . Personally I would go with a peep sight. old243

That's what I told him, The 2-7x32 I have for squirrel seems to me would do the job. But again, I have zero experience hunting deer with a scope.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/22/19 01:58 PM

3x9 if for no other reason you get a larger objective bell 40--50 mm gathers more light
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/22/19 01:58 PM

For a woods or brush gun, most hunters want to be able to use lower magnification for better target acquisition (aka as deer, etc). A 2-7x variable is about the best varisble scope for whitetail hunting.
Since the rifle platform in mind here is a lever action 30-30, the 2-7x is a more logical choice as the 30-30 is pretty much a 150 yd rifle.
A 1.5-5x is another that could work well.
When in the woods, you typically will dil down the magnification to 2x or 3x for a more optimum field of view, especially if your target animal is in heavy cover. If you're at the upper end of magnification, you can lose your target pretty quick.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/22/19 02:20 PM

Why does he feel he needs a scope? Does he need magnification or just easier target acquisition than iron sights? If he needs easier sights, I'd go with a red dot, possibly with 2x magnification. Any more magnification than that and you need a big objective scope. My favorite scope on a squirrel gun was a 2x38.

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/22/19 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
Why does he feel he needs a scope? Does he need magnification or just easier target acquisition than iron sights? If he needs easier sights, I'd go with a red dot, possibly with 2x magnification. Any more magnification than that and you need a big objective scope. My favorite scope on a squirrel gun was a 2x38.

Cause he's like me k snow, old eyes ain't gettin it done with iron sights lol.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/22/19 02:31 PM

I hear you, Catch22. A lot of guys I shoot muzzleloaders with have the same issue. Fiber optic iron sights are an option for some. My dad put a red dot on his turkey gun and loves it, makes target acquisition very easy.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/22/19 03:48 PM

Stick with the one like you have c22. Terrific scope.

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/22/19 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Stick with the one like you have c22. Terrific scope.

That's what I told him, man I love that thing!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: huntr6

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/22/19 06:47 PM

Hologram type red dot if he's not shooting any distance. Lots of choices now days.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/22/19 09:02 PM

Low power, big optics. Maybe even a red dot scope.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/22/19 09:03 PM

Straight six power. If it is for close range why do people think they need a variable .scope.

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/22/19 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Straight six power. If it is for close range why do people think they need a variable .scope.

Kinda the philosophy of better to have it then not I reckon. I know I would rather have a variable.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/22/19 09:31 PM

Balance to everything. On of the things that just looks wrong is a big scope on a little rifle. 1.5 x 5 is plenty for the rifle in question. And if your friend thinks he needs 9 power ask him to talk to some older hunters that used fixed 4 power scopes for decades with great success. Bigger ain't always better. Your 2x7 would be my second choice.
Posted By: charles

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/22/19 09:39 PM

Old Leupold 1X4 can still be found at Bear Basin site. On 1-2 X I can see my barrel in the scope. Just like an open site but much faster and far better in low light.

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/22/19 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by cmcf
Balance to everything. On of the things that just looks wrong is a big scope on a little rifle. 1.5 x 5 is plenty for the rifle in question. And if your friend thinks he needs 9 power ask him to talk to some older hunters that used fixed 4 power scopes for decades with great success. Bigger ain't always better. Your 2x7 would be my second choice.

Solid, thanks cmcf!
Posted By: coop

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/22/19 09:55 PM

1-4X Leupold w/ thick duplex crosshairs.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/22/19 10:51 PM

Or a #4 German recticul the one with a pointed post on the bottom and cross hairs top and sides.
Welcome Catch, wish your friend the best whatever he gets.
By the By that is a dandy squirrel gun you got there.

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/22/19 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by cmcf
Or a #4 German recticul the one with a pointed post on the bottom and cross hairs top and sides.
Welcome Catch, wish your friend the best whatever he gets.
By the By that is a dandy squirrel gun you got there.

cmcf, I never knew I could love a gun as much as I do that one. If I do my part, she breaches my imagination!
Posted By: cci

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/22/19 11:24 PM

If you put a straight 4 power on it it will always be on the right setting.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/23/19 12:32 AM

That 2-7 or 1.5-5 would b perfect for him on the 30-30. Still hunt on low power and turn it up to identify one in the brush if necessary.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/23/19 01:14 PM

I have a 458Socom rigged for a brush gun and stuck a red dot on it with the open sights working through the red dot. Inside 150 yards for deer, personally I don't need magnification.
Posted By: 50fps

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/23/19 02:58 PM

4X or peep would be my choice.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/23/19 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by coop

A great choice, the 2.5X fixed in the same brand and reticle is all you would really need.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/23/19 05:03 PM

I have messed around with a few 2x7x32's never did like them in the low light. I pretty much have 3x9x40's on everything, leopold nikon and newer redfield. A friend of mine has a couple of vortex diamondbacks 3x9's I would have no problem using one of them
J
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/23/19 05:18 PM

A 2-7 x40 Burris is a nice Scope for that rifle.

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/23/19 07:20 PM

Thanks everybody, a lot of great suggestions. I'll show my buddy and see what he picks.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/24/19 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by TraderVic
For a woods or brush gun, most hunters want to be able to use lower magnification for better target acquisition
A 1.5-5x is another that could work well..

^^THIS, I've had 1.75-4.5 Bushnell and 1.5-5 Leupold on a few 30-30's/35 Rem and like that magnification ALOT.
Bigger is NOT better IME. And, this magnification range is more than adequate for 150 yds and less.
I just sold a Looey 1.5x5 for $200 last month too.
Heres a link with some 1x4 and 1.5x5 for under $200 to $300
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...eupold&_sacat=888&LH_TitleDesc=0

Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/24/19 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
A 2-7 x40 Burris is a nice Scope for that rifle.

Being a Burris man since '83, a Fullfield II or I in 2x7 is the max I'd go, since at 2x it is actually 1.7.
Posted By: coalminer

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/24/19 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by coop

I agree, have 2 - last 1 has a pig post crosshairs. Mounted on a model 7 , 7mm-08 and a .280 mountain rifle, pure poison in a tree stand for Pa whitetail.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/24/19 04:49 AM

I have a 1-4X Leupold, and I need another one, but they quit making them. I have a pile of money for one, but I am afraid I'll need a left nut. I'm not ready to go that far. Its my good one.
Posted By: coop

Re: Scope recommendation for brush gun - 03/24/19 01:20 PM

52Carl......Amazon has a Leupold 1-4X 20mm FX-Freedom scope @ $199.99 + free shipping... I don't know anything about the Freedom scopes personally.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums