Home

Long Term Night Crawler storage

Posted By: Fire Fly Guy

Long Term Night Crawler storage - 03/15/19 01:19 PM

Any body got any ideas for long term night crawler storage?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Long Term Night Crawler storage - 03/15/19 01:25 PM

put them in five gallon buckets with lids inside an old refrigerator. don't turn it down real low. about 45 degrees is good. small holes in the bucket lids. mixture of good black top soil and peat moss. about 50/50. needs to be moist. sprinkle a little distilled or creek or rain water once in a while
Posted By: K-zoo

Re: Long Term Night Crawler storage - 03/15/19 01:29 PM

In the past we've used a plastic 50 gal. barrel cut in half and buried in the ground with about 3" sticking above ground with a piece of plywood with a brick on it for a lid. Do this in a nice cool shady spot and you can keep crawlers all Summer. We used the commercial worm bedding and had no trouble at all.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Long Term Night Crawler storage - 03/15/19 01:30 PM

The very best way we have ever stored them (they even lasted over winter and reproduced) was in a big washtub on a stand full of Buss Bedding stored in a root cellar (we called it "the cave").
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Long Term Night Crawler storage - 03/15/19 01:41 PM

Good advice above but jut keep in mind that they need oxygen so if you are putting them in a fridge, you will need to open the door and let some fresh air in once a week or so.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Long Term Night Crawler storage - 03/15/19 01:44 PM

I had them in the basement 50° back then. In wooden boxs with Brown bear bedding ...BBear has food in it.
The beddind was a foot deep. They reproduced like ADC said over winter. Keep the bedding damp but never wet.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Long Term Night Crawler storage - 03/15/19 01:51 PM

i use one of those thick coolers that steaks come in with buss bedding.keep a damp section of newspaper over the top.root room till summer then in the lure fridge.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Long Term Night Crawler storage - 03/15/19 09:45 PM

I use wet peat moss for bedding and feed oatmeal and tea leaves from the used bags.
Posted By: tjm

Re: Long Term Night Crawler storage - 03/15/19 10:10 PM

Basement 4'X8'X1' wood box with buss bedding - year round - when placing new worms, leave on top and any still on top 12 hours later discard as sick/injured- mine reproduced several times

Re: Long Term Night Crawler storage - 03/15/19 10:13 PM

buddy had an old fridge buried with just the door above ground filled with dirt and moss that worked the best of anything i've saw.
Posted By: Drakej

Re: Long Term Night Crawler storage - 03/16/19 12:57 PM

With some type of breathable escape proof cover if inside. They aren't called night crawlers for no reason. Wife won't be happy if one comes slinking thru her laundry area and she's there. Rarely have had any luck longterm keeping crawler that been over stretched when collecting from turf. Best for me are those collected rainy nights crossing pavement/roads during spring mating migration but enough rain/night timing doesn't always happen every spring(or I miss it being away). I like the buried appliance idea going to that at my new place up north were there is plenty of yard space to hide it. Do yo know if your friend put some drainage holes thru the bottom?

Re: Long Term Night Crawler storage - 03/16/19 12:58 PM

not sure but i don't think so.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Long Term Night Crawler storage - 03/16/19 01:32 PM

I know a guy that leaves them outside and prepared the ground prior to releasing the crawlers. We uses a heavy dose of feed and coffee grounds and has a heavy large blanket type material laid over the area. We keeps that area and blanket damp.

I have been there when he gets NC and all he does is lifts up the blanket and starts to put them up. They seem to stay right thee in this shady spot where all the food is worked in the ground. I was very impressed with this method.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums