Home

Amazing Moyles

Posted By: mtnative

Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 02:42 PM

I sent some beaver, fox and raccoon to moyles in mid January 2018 for garmet tanning and I received them back yesterday March 5,2019. Unbelievable service!!! They did an awesome job with tanning as usual. As far as I am concerned they are by far the best tannery out there.
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 03:00 PM

Maybe its just me, but I would not call 14 month turnaround good service. I love moyles but I’ve never had to wait but a few months to get my fur back.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 03:02 PM

crazy
Posted By: mtnative

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 03:38 PM

Oops my bad!!!
January 15,2019 sent, received back March 5,2019
Big thumbs and poor proof reading
Thanks for the comment
Posted By: Mocular

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 03:40 PM

I just spoke with them and they are still only 60-90 days turnaround.
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by mtnative
Oops my bad!!!
January 15,2019 sent, received back March 5,2019
Big thumbs and poor proof reading
Thanks for the comment

Good deal! Moyles is the way to go. I’ve always been pleased with them.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 04:34 PM

I hope the second and third pictures are you being facetious? If not, those are punch codes to track your fur. That being said, they make holes occasionally that are repairable.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 04:53 PM

Complain when you get a fisher back like this one.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mocular

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 05:05 PM

Every fur I’ve had professionally tanned is stamped that way, regardless of where I sent it.

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 05:07 PM

I sent these cats to a different tannery and paid for a taxidermy tan.

[Linked Image]

Crap happens! The one on the right was pretty much junk. Good Luck!
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 05:09 PM

I've used moyles alot and always have got good service and return in reasonable time. Biggest job I had them do was tanning beavers for our king before spread.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 05:25 PM

In a perfect world they'd always come back perfect, but it doesn't always happen. The punched holes are normal, but I have no idea why it's punch marked in three locations. It should be only one. For wall hangings, they tend to be a little less careful since the smaller holes don't really affect the final product, at least when compared to a taxidermy skin. But if you have another tannery that does better work, I'd keep using them. I've had good luck with Moyles for wall hangings, but they're not the best and they're far from the only one out there. Moyles has a terrible reputation for taxidermy work, but I've never sent them any of mine for that reason so I can only comment on their wall hangings.

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by dirtydogtrapping

four separate punch hole patterns.one in face,one on rump,and one on each of the back legs.i could have shot this fox with a shotgun and put less holes in it than they did.And yes i will keep useing the other tannery.

Four punch mark locations is ridiculous.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 06:23 PM

Moyles turn around time has definately improved from what it was 2 years ago. Their volume is way down as they lost customers with the slow turn.

Punching codes in pelts to,identify owners is common at many tanneries. Even back in the 70s and 80s when New Methid was one of the big fur tanneries, punches were used. It sucks when the punch is large or in an obvious place. I know on small pelts like civets and weasels the punch really stands out.

What is interesting is that the pelts I have sent to Moyles the last 5 years or so, none of them have come back with punches. Instead they have different color small cable ties through the eye hole to identify owner. Some times it is a combination of 2 colors. One batch of 110 ermine that I sent had a pink and a purple cable tie on each pelt.

Not sure why they are punching some and cable tying others. To the original poster - were your pelts punched or cable tied??

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
Moyles turn around time has definately improved from what it was 2 years ago. Their volume is way down as they lost customers with the slow turn.

Punching codes in pelts to,identify owners is common at many tanneries. Even back in the 70s and 80s when New Methid was one of the big fur tanneries, punches were used. It sucks when the punch is large or in an obvious place. I know on small pelts like civets and weasels the punch really stands out.

What is interesting is that the pelts I have sent to Moyles the last 5 years or so, none of them have come back with punches. Instead they have different color small cable ties through the eye hole to identify owner. Some times it is a combination of 2 colors. One batch of 110 ermine that I sent had a pink and a purple cable tie on each pelt.

Not sure why they are punching some and cable tying others. To the original poster - were your pelts punched or cable tied??

Moe and I had a nasty breakup when he shaved a bunch of bald spots in a batch of wolverine. mad
Posted By: Miley

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 06:35 PM

As recommended by a member here ,I ordered lamb ear tags with my name and phone # and attach to hide in one of the eyeholes with a zip tie. Works great and the tag can be reused. I’m on my third season and the print is unaffected by the tanning process.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 06:46 PM

Cats and otter have a serialized tag, easy to track.

My fox have to be tagged, also serialized.

I tag my coyotes with serialized tags. All the serial numbers are listed on my packing slip when I ship them to the tannery.

On other smaller items, I put color coded zip ties on them myself before I ship them. Sometimes I use just one of a certain color and sometimes use a pair of different colors. Whatever I use is described on the packing slip when I ship them out.

Some still get punched but I have never seen a punch that gave me any concern at all.

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 06:58 PM

Strange they would punch and cable tie both on the same pelt. Not sure what to say.

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 07:05 PM

Good lord people! Take a push pin and put " . . . " or something like that in a spot that won't get tore off. Then you will know if you got your fur back.

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
Good lord people! Take a push pin and put " . . . " or something like that in a spot that won't get tore off. Then you will know if you got your fur back.

Not sure what you're referring to? I don't think anyone was questioning whether they got their furs back or not.

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by M.Magis

Not sure what you're referring to? I don't think anyone was questioning whether they got their furs back or not.

Well I assume the guy putting all those tags in his pelts is concerned about this. I doubt Moyles will track your pelts by the tags in them. Sometimes they come out and they ship them to you in an envelope.They track mine (other than the weasels which is color coded zip ties) by punching "38R" in all of them year after year. I agree four is excessive, but two should be minimum in case they damage one code.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 07:37 PM

'Leo Rocks'

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 07:50 PM

Well I assume the guy putting all those tags in his pelts is concerned about this. I doubt Moyles will track your pelts by the tags in them. Sometimes they come out and they ship them to you in an envelope.They track mine (other than the weasels which is color coded zip ties) by punching "38R" in all of them year after year. I agree four is excessive, but two should be minimum in case they damage one code.

I think the tags shown were from the tannery, plus the CITES tag I assume. But I see now what you're referring to, I think the discussion took a slight turn there and I missed it. I would agree, not many tanneries will use your supplied tag for their tracking. If they use tags, they'll use their own.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 09:40 PM

The tanneries may not use my tags to id my pelts through their process but my tags are always still on the pelts when I get them back.

And I see that other folks use colored zip ties on some of their items also.

And at least one person on this thread indicated that he got pelts back with colored zip ties that he did not put on them. Sounds like in that case that the tannery did use zip ties for id.

And I agree that using the punch method at 4 different places on a pelt is excessive but does it really damage the pelt anymore than the push pins we use on the stretchers?

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 09:47 PM

In my opinion, the punches shown in the first couple of pictures were done with something larger than a push pin. I've seen lots of push pin punches and none ever look that big.

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 09:51 PM

Those punch codes can be a problem on smaller skins like mink and marten when they punch them in the lower back and the holes tear in a line. Sew time or glue a leather patch over the whole mess.
Posted By: Buzzy

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 09:55 PM

Holes in the pelt are often caused by the trapper when putting up fur or not putting it up in a timely manner. The damaged pelt then opens up when they are tanned.

Wounds from tick bites and damage from fighting with other critters. The biggest one though, is when the critter is fighting the trap. Watch those sharp tags on tie wire.

It ain't always the tanner.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/06/19 11:00 PM

I have sent in 4 orders to them and never waited more than 3 months. Usually more like 2 months.
Posted By: Miley

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/07/19 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by pcr2
'Leo Rocks'

X2!
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/07/19 01:03 PM

I have had fur tanned by Moyles the past three years. I am very satisfied, they did an awesome job! I did a video unboxing my furs... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qk4jqiAQP8

Since the video I had two Fisher and a Skunk tanned, they came out beautifully also!
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/08/19 05:14 AM

I home tan my furs, after a small learning curve I end up with soft supple leather, except beaver and otter, hide needs to be thinned and thinned evenly.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Amazing Moyles - 03/08/19 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by alaska viking
Complain when you get a fisher back like this one.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Buzzy
Holes in the pelt are often caused by the trapper when putting up fur or not putting it up in a timely manner. The damaged pelt then opens up when they are tanned.

Wounds from tick bites and damage from fighting with other critters. The biggest one though, is when the critter is fighting the trap. Watch those sharp tags on tie wire.

It ain't always the tanner.

Well then, the truth must lay somewhere in between. AV’s post showing grevious damage is not due to a mishandling nor a defect already present on the animal at the time it was killed. I also have also had extra minor holes added by Moyles’ processing. But nothing I had a complaint with.
Their quality of service had been top notch through the greater part of my dealings through them. Hopefully this sort of posted dissatisfaction is short lived.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums