Home

Grill guard for trucks.

Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 01:42 PM

Ladies and gents, here I sit in Montana....sweating having to go back to California this afternoon. My wife extended deer season with her 2015 suburban last week. I reckon I’m going to put a grill guard on it now. The last thing I want is for her to ever hit another deer and be stranded because a microchip malfunctioned.

But, since I was right behind her, I threw Mrs. Venison in the truck...nothing wrong with a little pre-tenderized deer. I’m convinced Rachel was trying to catch a glimpse of me in her rear view. Lol.

While I’m at it, I’ll throw one on my truck. Any recommendations on grill guards that somewhat protect the lights and grill?? My buddy says proline and truck defender are good starting points.

I’m also thinking something lighter for the suburban, maybe aluminum.

This leaving the Marines thing is starting to get pricey.

1st world problems. Lol.
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 01:45 PM

This is the one I have on my truck got it from eBay

Attached picture DCE06D8D-5411-4B62-B031-6774DB386166.jpeg
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 01:53 PM

Can't recommend names but buy stout or don't buy at all.
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 01:57 PM

Weston is a good one
Posted By: goatman

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 02:08 PM

Ranchhand.com. I have had one for several years. Have hit three deer and no damage. Don't go light or cheap. Waste of time going cheap as the sherriff's dept. found out.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 02:33 PM

I made my own in '94, flat steel pieces cut with a hacksaw and welded, killed 21 deer with it on 5 different trucks
Posted By: saskbone

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 03:01 PM

I am more curious to see what you're going to put on your Prius
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 03:49 PM

Lightning struck is what we put on our trucks
Posted By: beeman

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tactical.20
I made my own in '94, flat steel pieces cut with a hacksaw and welded, killed 21 deer with it on 5 different trucks

You must have the worst luck of anybody. I have been driving here in NW Iowa and have never killed a deer with my vehicle and I have been driving 55 years. Maybe I have been lucky.
Posted By: Michael Morris

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by saskbone

lmao grin
Posted By: adam m

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 04:33 PM

I see a lot of Ranch hand brush guards here.

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 05:37 PM

Who the heck let a Canadian in here? Lol. Hi, Les.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 05:43 PM

Lots of options been looking for a good one for the Toy myself, like said stout vs pretty pick stout!

https://www.luvernetruck.com/
Posted By: Coonman300

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 05:48 PM

ranch hand bumpers are tough but pricey. My oldest son has one and has hit a couple of deer and had a couple of fender benders with no damage at all. My youngest son bought a MOVE Bumper that came in pieces and had to be welded together and painted. It is very heavy duty and he saved a lot of money by welding it himself. He too has hit a couple of deer and a couple of accidents with no damage to the bumper. If you have access to a welder you might want to check it out.

https://www.movebumpers.com/front-b...nqurF4AIVCEsNCh2zlA6FEAAYASABEgKiVfD_BwE
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by beeman
Originally Posted by Tactical.20

You must have the worst luck of anybody. I have been driving here in NW Iowa and have never killed a deer with my vehicle and I have been driving 55 years. Maybe I have been lucky.

Most of my deer hits were in Wyoming , I made 13 trapping trips there in the past, used to be mule deer everywhere, I would honk, flash my lights and the deer just ignored it.
The two times I got damage with the bumper, I tried to stop or avoid the deer
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 06:48 PM

I hit 3 the same year and several after that just depends on the population in a area.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 06:54 PM

I got the ranch hand front bumper and a Frontier rear bumper, I had them both sandblasted and painted with raptor liner , to give them that tough finish.
Posted By: vatrapping87

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 07:03 PM

Ranch hand for 1/2 ton and bigger. ARB for Toyotas.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 07:28 PM

A good marine would volunteer to be the grill guard for his wife.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 07:36 PM

Don't buy an aluminum guard as they will fatigue crack from vibration. I can't count how many fenders and racks I have had to weld over they years from that. Once to that point you will just keep chasing the cracks.

Those move bumpers look good but you have to miter your tubes to fit by their note. Also wonder what wall is on it?

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by elkaholic
A good marine would volunteer to be the grill guard for his wife.
I figured I’d do that but didn’t want to tear the deer up to badly.
Posted By: yodeldog101

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by USMC47
Who the heck let a Canadian in here? Lol. Hi, Les.

laugh laugh crazy Hi John
Posted By: white17

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 08:38 PM

Go stout ! Remember there are elk and free range cattle out there too
Posted By: Rammer

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 09:17 PM

John, make sure you get the ranch hand before you leave the marines. Have two marines bench press it into place and two run bolts, call it PT for the morning!
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 11:36 PM

https://roadarmor.com/catalog/product/view/id/2302/
this is what I went with
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 11:47 PM

Throttle Down Kustom bumpers just down the road from me John they are top shelf all the way if I ever win the lottery I too will have one myself.
Posted By: rod-dog

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rammer
John, make sure you get the ranch hand before you leave the marines. Have two marines bench press it into place and two run bolts, call it PT for the morning!

John will tell you that would only take one marine to bench press a bumper...

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 11:51 PM

I look like a sailor, ramsicle? Lol.
Posted By: gutthooked

Them ranch hand bumpers are smartly engineered made to sit right on top of the frame, so you don't have to hold them up to start the bolts. At least my front bumper is like this.

Originally Posted by rod-dog

John will tell you that would only take one marine to bench press a bumper...
Roddy, you beat me to it. Dangit.

Some good recommendations thus far.

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/18/19 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Drifter
Don't buy an aluminum guard as they will fatigue crack from vibration. I can't count how many fenders and racks I have had to weld over they years from that. Once to that point you will just keep chasing the cracks.

Those move bumpers look good but you have to miter your tubes to fit by their note. Also wonder what wall is on it?
Pete, I know good info when I see it.
Posted By: rod-dog

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/19/19 12:34 AM

USMC 47..Is there any truth to the rumor that there isn't a wild hog in Texas that can out run you...?
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/19/19 01:20 AM

ranch hand is what i put on my ford after hitting a deer. Talked to a few people before i got it since it was pricey and they said the cheaper ones will do plenty of damage to the truck themselves when you hit something that bends it into the radiator. I dont even think i have any paint chipped off my ranch hand and its been almost a decade since ive iinstalled it. Buy once cry once. Was also told they have the heaviest gauge metal of the brands that were options for my truck.
Posted By: Rammer

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/19/19 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by USMC47
I look like a sailor, ramsicle? Lol.

I think I did see a picture once......wait nevemind, Les swore me to secrecy..... wink

When I bought a new pickup I had the dealership transfer my bumper to my new pickup, planned that into negotiations. The 1500 price tag is now at 750.
Posted By: PWC

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/19/19 03:33 AM

Proline is a super heavy duty product designed for hitting livestock. I have their stuff on my American made trucks.

Family owned business in Prineville Oregon, if you order one ahead of time and are driving thru they will bolt it on while you wait, they treat you like a real human being as well.

Their prices are favorable, and their product would be a value at twice the price.

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/19/19 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by rod-dog
USMC 47..Is there any truth to the rumor that there isn't a wild hog in Texas that can out run you...?
When you run down wild hogs because you have a hankering for some bacon, be sure to be armed and accurate. It’s just that a man needs a little PT during trapping events.

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/19/19 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by PWC
Proline is a super heavy duty product designed for hitting livestock. I have their stuff on my American made trucks.

Family owned business in Prineville Oregon, if you order one ahead of time and are driving thru they will bolt it on while you wait, they treat you like a real human being as well.

Their prices are favorable, and their product would be a value at twice the price.
I just had them pulled up as well. Thank you, good sir.
Posted By: redhillstrapper

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/20/19 02:34 AM

I would recommend a Ranch hand. Been around the body shop business my whole life (live in the heart and sole of deer country), seen hundreds of brands of grill guards, Ranch hand seems to be one of the better (stouter) ones made. One of the most important things to do is once installed is to have a shop put a few short spot welds along the edge of the bracket/frame horn.The bolt holes in grill guards and their brackets are made slotted for adjustment. If you don't do this you can have the biggest toughest most expensive grill guard in the world and it will end up tipped up or down into the bottom edge of your fender when impacted. Also check the bolt grade that comes with the grill guard 90% will come from the factory with grade 5 bolts which are barely strong enough to hold the weight of the grill guard let alone take an impact or vibration.

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/20/19 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by redhillstrapper
I would recommend a Ranch hand. Been around the body shop business my whole life (live in the heart and sole of deer country), seen hundreds of brands of grill guards, Ranch hand seems to be one of the better (stouter) ones made. One of the most important things to do is once installed is to have a shop put a few short spot welds along the edge of the bracket/frame horn.The bolt holes in grill guards and their brackets are made slotted for adjustment. If you don't do this you can have the biggest toughest most expensive grill guard in the world and it will end up tipped up or down into the bottom edge of your fender when impacted. Also check the bolt grade that comes with the grill guard 90% will come from the factory with grade 5 bolts which are barely strong enough to hold the weight of the grill guard let alone take an impact or vibration.
More solid advice. Thank you, sir.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/20/19 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by grayfox54
Weston is a good one

Weston is the BEST one.
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Grill guard for trucks. - 02/20/19 02:40 PM

Mine is made out of 2 1/2" pipe or so. stout.
Have hit 3 deer with it. Just hook a strap to it and a strong pole and hit reverse and all is good again.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums