Home

Making trails for snaring

Posted By: shortliner16

Making trails for snaring - 02/11/19 04:30 PM

Alright, so I have a cow and some deer carcasses out for the coyotes and have picked 4 off on their trails they made. Now we got hit with over a foot of snow last week and there isn't many coyotes left. But the ones that are left I shuffled my feet and went over the old trails and reset my snares. Its kinda last ditch effort. Anyone have this work?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Making trails for snaring - 02/11/19 04:44 PM

if a coyote Is still going to hit those dumps then It's going to make It's own trail. And In deep snow They are going to be re using those trails. But you could give It a try sometimes it works and sometimes It doesn't.
Posted By: Shaky Jake

Re: Making trails for snaring - 02/11/19 04:46 PM

I opened a trail last week in 5" of new snow. Next day, my trail was covered with tracks from reds, coyote and bobcat.
Posted By: white17

Re: Making trails for snaring - 02/11/19 04:51 PM

You might consider dragging a chunk of firewood behind you to eliminate your tracks. Up here, canines do not appreciate human foot prints in their trails in the snow. It may not be an issue with your less-than-discerning canines in the states. laugh
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Making trails for snaring - 02/11/19 06:06 PM

That's good advice.
Posted By: John Deere Steve

Re: Making trails for snaring - 02/11/19 06:12 PM

I have walked many trails to open them up and had catches after. Especially when the snow gets deep.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Making trails for snaring - 02/11/19 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by white17
You might consider dragging a chunk of firewood behind you to eliminate your tracks. Up here, canines do not appreciate human foot prints in their trails in the snow. It may not be an issue with your less-than-discerning canines in the states. laugh

Better yet IMO, drag a hind quarter of one of those deer behind you.
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Making trails for snaring - 02/11/19 08:18 PM

That sounds like good idea! With just footprints, maybe, maybe not, I have had it work years ago but most time not , I say much more chance no go, depend where at, but still , more chance no go than go
Posted By: RKH

Re: Making trails for snaring - 02/11/19 09:45 PM

Coyotes in my area will stop and turn around if then see a foot print
Posted By: Osky

Re: Making trails for snaring - 02/11/19 10:51 PM

Snow shoes.

Osky
Posted By: Saskayote

Re: Making trails for snaring - 02/12/19 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by RKH
Coyotes in my area will stop and turn around if then see a foot print

Same here.
Posted By: goldy

Re: Making trails for snaring - 02/12/19 02:02 AM

I don't think it's the sight of tracks as much as the scent that's in them.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Making trails for snaring - 02/12/19 02:28 AM

I always set in strip of brush or grass and made 2-3 trails on each side of bait pile, shuffling feet. They really shined in the late season, the hungry season. As Catch circles hurt a trail, the others were waiting. It takes advantage of their circling instinct, coming closer as they gain confidence.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Making trails for snaring - 02/12/19 02:48 AM

Not a big snare guy but, the sight of a human track scaring coyotes sounds rediculous..
Smell maybe but sight??
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Making trails for snaring - 02/12/19 02:52 AM

Not all coyote behave the same, I've seen them pee where I did earlier the day before
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Making trails for snaring - 02/12/19 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by goldy
I don't think it's the sight of tracks as much as the scent that's in them.

What are you saying them canooks are stinky smile !
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Making trails for snaring - 02/12/19 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tactical.20
Not all coyote behave the same, I've seen them pee where I did earlier the day before

Me too. Wolves do it often.
Posted By: MINK I LOVE

Re: Making trails for snaring - 02/12/19 04:14 AM

I myself do have Good Luck making or re-making a trail in Deep snow or a drifted area by dragging my feet together. Tough sometimes in the deep drifts but It works.

Re: Making trails for snaring - 02/12/19 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Osky
Snow shoes.

Osky

If the canines in my area see a snowshoe track they will leap 10 feet in the opposite direction and kick in the afterburners !

Re: Making trails for snaring - 02/12/19 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Originally Posted by white17

Better yet IMO, drag a hind quarter of one of those deer behind you.

That is certainly worth a try. I almost always drag a half beaver behind my snowmachine.
Posted By: mawdy man

Re: Making trails for snaring - 02/12/19 09:38 AM

I used to do it all the time in spring, take a knapsack sprayer and total weed killer and spray a trail across some white grass and rough land joining 2 plantations, snared a LOT of fox off those
( we never get enough snow hear to track never mind make trails to snare )
© 2024 Trapperman Forums